Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

OMG They Found the Cure for Stupid

Comments

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702

Welcome back M0mmy! I wondered if you were ok.

Been crazy busy this weekend. Getting ready to go to bed and thought I would pop on.

Was going to come on earlier, but our smoke alarms went off in our house. My goodness those things are loud. We had no idea why they were blaring. DH changed the battery in the loudest one, and it seems to have helped. Sure hope they don't go off in the middle of the night!!

Here is my funny for the night.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,716

lol    Life got crazy busy.

• SlowDeepBreaths

Ducky, I was watching Dateline last night and they were talking about giving hemp oil to children for seizures. It's called Charlotte's Web and is made in Colorado. In some cases it eliminated the child's seizures all together, and they no longer take seizure medications. It made me think of Stella. It made me wonder if dongs can take it. Maybe your daughter can ask the vet next time they are there. It was truly amazing how it changed some of the children's lives.

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210

I saw that story, also.  It was an amazing story and it made me think of Stella.

Slow,  our smoke alarms have been going off at 2, 3, 4 o'clock in the morning for the past three years.  We have changed them out, spent loads of money on them, changed batteries and finally figured out that we have ants coming up the front of the house and into the attic and that one smoke alarm is the first thing they come across and they come down and set it off and then it sets all 6 of them off.  I do hope it is just the battery, or a random critter and not ants.  UGH!!!!! 

• m0mmyof3

Sorry nomatterwhat, but the devilish side of me made me do it:

"The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah....."

• SlowDeepBreaths

haha M0mmy!

Nomatterwhat, That's funny that you mentioned that....my DH said he saw two ants walking on the ceiling by the smoke alarm. This is upstairs in our hallway. He killed them both. I never heard of ants coming in from the attic. What in the world would they be after in an attic? No water or food up there!

• m0mmyof3

lol  

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I had to replace my smoke alarms recently as the county or state required them to be less than 5 years old or some such thing

any how, went to buy the alarms at HD, had to have to other kind too O2 ones so had 3 new detectors,one had the combo O2 thing.  My handy guy replaced but he could not get them to work as one, mine were supposed to be hard wired and to go off on all floors.  He finally got it to work sort of but one day they went off and would not stop till I hit the dang thing and smashed it.

this time I called the electrition who told me that I needed to buy all the same type/company in order to work correctly.  He seemed to have been called for many such issues.  Well got them all working but needed the pro to figure it out

• SlowDeepBreaths

PTS, I know they are needed but they drive me crazy. I hate when they start chirping and you can't figure out which one has the problem. We try to change the batteries in all of them every 6 months or so, but sometimes that doesn't even keep them quiet. When they go off in the middle of the night, it's so tempting to take an axe to them!!

• SlowDeepBreaths
  • proudtospin

Slow, I agree, last time mine went off I basically destroyed the thing.  I need to remind myself to call the guy in advance to change them up before that happens

I live in attached town homes and years ago I woke up one morning to the sound of fire trucks, a unit in the next cul de sac burned down!  the units to the left and right were damaged just by the smoke and water.

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703

• Lucy55

PTS.. Ugh.. Not a false alarm for the poor people in the units near you :-(

• SlowDeepBreaths

That's awful PTS.

Too bad we can't rely on the detectors. If they can make smart phones, why can't they make a smart smoke alarm!!??

Hi Lucy! :) Oh wait.....how do you say it in Australia?? G'day!!

• Nomatterwhat

Thanks, Mommy, my husband and I had a good laugh with that one!!!!

Slow, my exterminator says that ants draw towards electric boxes (i.e. the boxes housing the wiring of the smoke alarms).  They come up the foundation, go under the brick on the front of the house, go up a stud in the wall, across the stud in the ceiling in a conga line, all the while drinking and one falls off the conga line and down through the smoke alarm setting it off.  We not only have the house sprayed for ants, we go out front and dig in the rock and pour ant killer down the front of the foundation.  We have fought these damn things for three years and yes, we have learned that they all must be the same company and kind.  We even have the same kind of batteries and replace them every January 1. 

I sprayed his ass to the smoke alarm to show  my exterminator!!!!! 

I have seen the "I will never shut up" face.  In fact, last Sunday we were awaken to the "chirp" noise about 6:30 a.m. (and I am not a nice morning person), we searched and searched.  We took all the smoke alarms down, took all the batteries out and even shut the breaker off and still....."chirp".  We forgot about the carbon monoxide alarm and it was the culprit.  I wanted to throw the thing in the fireplace and light it, but I didn't!!!!  Whatever chirps next will not live to tell about it!!!!!! 

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541

Maybe we need a new design. Behold the ant repellant smoke alarm! Teehee. ... Love, Jean

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Problem we have had is spiders causing the house alarm to go off.We

need to put these near our alarms.

Or we need need a swat team

• m0mmyof3

Hate it when the smoke alarms starts chirping as it sets Jackson, my poor Sheltie, off. Plus if it starts chirping in the middle of the night, I make hubby get up to take care of the problem.

• proudtospin

oh yes, please send the swat team, my house is the one with the door sign with squirrels on it

hmmmm, swat team is very appealing

• Gina4h
    Gina4h Member Posts: 51

My smoke alarm anly goes off when I burn things (a rather frequent occurrence lately), but can I have the SWAT team anyway? PLEASE!!!!!

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541

Can the swat team come by and swat my hubby? Love, Jean

• SlowDeepBreaths

hahaha Alyson! I see you ladies have been busy with the swat team!!

• SlowDeepBreaths
  • Nomatterwhat

I need that swat team and more!!!!!

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Was just checking in and saw many, many posts complaining about false smoke alarms. My immediate thought was "who would complain about a bunch of firemen showing up to make sure you're safe?" My second thought was "why do those darn false alarms always happen while we are sleeping?"

Yep, I have my priorities right... hot men, then sleep. ;-)

• Lucy55

Poppy... HaHHa :-)

• SlowDeepBreaths

hahahaha Poppy!!

My power will be going off in 10 minutes so I have to type fast!! Here is my funny for today. The dumbest things make me laugh. I guess I'm just easily amused. lol

• proudtospin

Poppy, you would have loved my Brooklyn apt, across the street from the fire station.  I knew fire men were cool before 9/11.  I use to call on them for any and all heavy lifting things!  Course I did pay they back with home made chocolate cookies.  Man they would do anything for me for cookies.  But seriously, they also were a god send when my apt building caught fire!

I highly recommend living with the sound of fire alarms just to have the hunks across the street!

• Gina4h
    Gina4h Member Posts: 51

OMG that baby on board thing is scary and hilarious. Is it for real?

• Nomatterwhat

Oh, Slow, that is hilarious!!!!  How did you know your power was going out??