Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Older People with Sense

Comments

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

And Lost Creek, what I'm doing pales in comparison to the real pain and worry that you have.

I'm going to try to not think about myself and, instead, send my own good thoughts your way.

And I agree with the very wise Chrissy, that's it's time to tell your doctor about your pain.

We always think the worst, but I think knowing is better than worrying. 

• WaveWhisperer

Thanks, Joyce!!! 

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Wave, good thoughts coming your way for good scans.

Joyce, that is indeed great news!!! Doing the happy dance for you!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101

Lost Creek:  When pain is keeping you awake, it's time to do something about it.  Chrissyb is right...it may only be gall bladder which can cause severe pain under your ribs, but don't let it go.

Wave...good luck with the scans...praying all turns out well.  Great news on the blood work joyce!

I'm off today to get a facial and mani/pedi, for an event we're attending on Sat evening...the one formal charity thing I still do each year because it's for children...making sure they have toys at Xmas.  My boyfriend is grumbling about having to put on his tux, but at least he doesn't have to worry about what to wear!  I'm down to one formal evening dress which has seen better days, so I'm just going to wear a black pant suit with a jeweled tank under, and some fancy shoes....oh, and of course, sport my new wig that I bought that my DD says makes me look 10 years younger..ha!

My friend's DD who is in charge of the event this year has to have some surgery next week for a lump under her arm that is suspicious.  I'm more worried about her than me, because she is young (mid 40's) and has never had children.  This sort of puts her in a high risk area, but I'm praying she will be fine.  She's such a beautiful young woman, and a very successful attorney.

Have a wonderful day everyone! 

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Lost Creek and Wavewhisperer, prayers for good outcomes and peace of mind. Joyce happy dance for you.  Barbe how are you doing?

Love to all Ginger

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

Lost Creek, could be your gall bladder..it did that to me..

are you taking tamoxifen?

BTW nothing showed up on U/S or scans but my surgeon told

me my gallbladder was horrible when she took it out...

On Vitamin K, it is not a good thing to get extra if you have liver

disease like I do..(caused by the BC treatments)

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I'm just in the watch and wait mode. Waiting for "the" call from the doctor. Surgeon appointment next Friday anyway, so I'll find out either way.

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468

Oh Barbe - don't we all hate that waiting. And sometimes they don't call because everything is just fine but I like to get that call because it turns off the worry switch. I hope you get a good call. Soon.

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394

Good Luck Barbe - hoping for the best! For everyone,Sorry I've been stuck in my own funk here...

I did finally tell DH this a.m., and then called PCP and MO... the PCP can see me Tuesday, but MO is booked until the 16th although the front desk "will ask her when she comes on Tues (she is T-W-TH at my cancer center) if doc feels like working me in"... sounds like it'll be easier to go through the PCP.  So, I guess I feel better for just speaking out, and not trying to carry this alone.  We'll see, one step at a time, as DH cautions me.  Here's hoping for a bad gallbladder!!!!!!!

Thank you all.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184

Lost Creek, I went thru this for a year and a half since nothing showed up about my gallbladder in any tesing. but it was, in fact, horrible. My surgeon was the one who "knew" it was that too, but needed proof to do the laproscopic surgery..finally one ultra sound showed some "sludge"..once she looked

at it after surgery, she told me it was the angriest she had ever seen. while she was in there she

biopsied my iiver too. That was cirrohsis, from the chemo etc( but no cancer)..I felt a hundred percent better right away once my gallbadder was out. But I had to suffer when nothing showed up in tests...good thing my surgeon persisted...

That was nine years ago now and my liver will never recover ( no drinking was a given)

• WaveWhisperer

Thanks to all for the good thoughts. My MO called me at home to tell me that both scans were CLEAN!!! She wanted me to have good news before the weekend. I was relieved, of course, and impressed with her thoughtfulness.

• barbe1958

Woo hoo for you too! You must be on cloud B9!!! Have a great weekend now!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352

: 5/14/2003, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

• Kaara

Shopping today!  Macy's had a huge sale so I was able to get DGD's little dresses and play clothes for a fraction of what they cost originally.  I want pictures of them in their matching outfits with Santa, which will take some doing because they are at opposite ends of the county where we live.  Might have to play the "C" card again to get it done!

WaveWisperer:  Congrats on the clean tests!  Do something nice for yourself to celebrate!

Have a nice evening everyone! 

• chrissyb

Wave, YAY!!!! on the good scans...................go have yourself a fun weekend or a relaxing one...which ever floats your boat at the moment.  So glad your doc was conciderate enough to phone you before the weekend............happy dancing!

L_C so glad you told your DH and have an appointment with your doc......it doesn't matter which doc you see.  Things always feel better when you share............

Lisa, my liver is functioning perfectly and my doc ran through all the pros and cons of the Vit.K so I am aware of possibilities.  Thanks for the heads up though.

I just love the way we all look out for each other............a true family of sisters!

Love n hugs.   Chrissy

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150

Wave and Joyce, what great good news for both of you!  Happy dance, happy dance!!

L_C, so glad you finally told DH and got the dr appointment.  I hate to think of the pain being so bad it's keeping you awake, and sharing your fears sometimes make them easier to bear.  Prayers going up that it's "just" your gallbladder, too.  

Went to a dinner and Christmas play at church tonight, and we really have some talented people there.  The play was "Charlie Brown's Christmas" with an all adult cast, and they all (plus DH's set that he designed and built) were incredible.  The best part was the pre-play show, the men's synchronized (well, semi-synchronized) swimming, which was hilarious.  DH was in that and I laughed so hard I cried. They all bumbled around in their swim trunks, tie-dyed muscle shirts, and red and green bathing caps (for Christmas, you know).

Love to all and hope you all have a good weekend!

Kathy

• chrissyb

Kathy, your night out sounds wonderful!   I just love the spoof thing with the guys trying to be dainty.....I'm right with you with the laughter!!!!   Glad everything went off so well.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394

And good news Joyce and Wave! Happy days!

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts and prayers - I'm sure that helped me be a bit calmer yesterday and will help keep me going until we find out what this is.  Last night I broke down and took a sleeping pill and that helped a lot.   Having this forum to speak out -- to talk about the things we don't necessarily want to worry our loved ones with -- it helps more than I can say.   

I have enough work & activities planned for the next few days (including getting ready for womens' group Christmas luncheon at my house this week), and that helps too -- keeping busy keeps my mind from going to the dark place... I'm hoping my PCP can get me scheduled for a scan soon.  I so wanted to wait until January, to have the holidays without bc issues...but am actually glad to be getting in the what- is- this queue.

BUT, my best news and best Christmas present came early:  last night when I talked with my DB, I learned that neph2 who is stationed in Afghanistan (the Navy corpsman with the Marines) is coming home early!!! They were scheduled to stay until April, but DB says they have one more mission, and then will de-mobilize and come home the week after Christmas.  I know some of you have helped me pray for their safety, or sent good thoughts, and I so appreciate that.  One more mission -- I won't feel "safe" until I know they are done and their boots are on US soil again, but what a relief.  Now we just have to get through December...

Happy holidays to all -- lots of family, love, laughter, health and happiness!

ps: QCA, I LOL at your DH's antics. Thanks for sharing!

• Kaara

Lost_Creek...that is really good news about your nephew!  I'll pray that last mission goes well.

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

Wow, I have been gone for a few days and there are too many pages to read to catch up so i will just jump back in here. I have been busy with making Christmas presents for my family. I had some corrective reconstruction surgery done on dec. 1st so I will be out of commission for a few days. I am doing pretty well and at least I donothave any drains to deal with this time. I am off to bed hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• anumacha
    anumacha Member Posts: 61

No one knows what I did to my right wrist but I now have a bone protruding out he side of it first the thumb dislocated and badly sprained then the wrist dislocated and now this. Writing and typing has been a chore.

I am still having hot flashes and exteme dizzy spells...the room moves and gets fuzzy with no help from me. It is a side effect of the arimidex and now I have tinnitus in my left ear. My boss thinks I just make stuff up. I told him that the estrogen blockers push you in to your 80s as I have the same problems my granny did at that age and she was active walking, shopping - never drove we carried everything and gardening. 

I made it through my checkups ok so we are on scheduled visits further out unless I have an issue. 

We had mouse day - the cats scared a big mouse to death. Beanie and the boys brought it to me to fix! I had it placed outside for the hawk that stays on my storage barn.

• WaveWhisperer

Lost Creek, what wonderful news about your nephew coming home early from Afghanistan. I can't imagine a better Christmas present for his parents and extended family. May his last mission go smoothly.

• barbe1958

I pray for your nephew Lost!!!

amw, the strange thing is that I understand about "scaring the mouse to death". My first H and I had a cottage and one morning we were having breakfast. While WE WERE EATING a mouse ran across the table!! My H grabbed the first thing he found. It was a roll of toilet paper (don't ask...sigh) and slammed it down on the table. The mouse dropped dead!! My H was no where near where the mouse was... but the mouse was dead. Blew us away. Never heard of that before or since!! Would the hawk eat a dead mouse or did you have to toss it around for the hawk?

• QCA

Well, I'm a wreck from worrying about the biopsy tomorrow.  I don't have a feeling either way, just a cold fear.  I can't even talk about it without crying and that actually embarrasses me because I'm such a controlled person.  This morning I taught my Sunday School class (8 year olds) and did fine, but between SS and the worship several friends came in to say they were praying for me and I dissolved into tears.  It just humbles me so very much to see how much people care about me.  And there are so many of us in our church who have been diagnosed with bc.

Lately of course I've regretted not having a BMX when first diagnosed last year, but I can't help that now.  If it's back, that's what I plan to do this time. I'd prefer to just do it even if this isn't cancer, but haven't yet investigated whether the insurance would pay for it if it's elective.  I doubt that they would, since they won't even pay for the LE tests the surgeon does at each visit (at over $300).  

The radiologist said that the calcifications are so small that the stereotactic biopsy will remove them completely, but I don't know if I'll get the path results tomorrow or will have to wait.  Hope I know something, one way or the other, tomorrow.

Thank you all for being my listening ears right now, and love to all.

Kathy

• chrissyb

Awe Kathy........((((((Hugs)))))))    Waiting for anything is hard but waiting for a biopsy and result is pure hell!  I can imagine that you are emotionally strung out and that is why all the tears...........let them fall with out feeling embarassed..............you have every right to feel the way you do. 

It's always a shock to realise just how many people care for us and our well being.  Take it easy the time will be here soon.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Kaara

Kathy:  Good luck on your biopsy...hope they get it all!

• barbe1958

Kathy, you do know you won't get the result tomorrow...right???

And what does your surgeon do for $300 for your LE test??? It should just be a measurement of the diameter of your arms!! Does he do a drainage massage for that money??

I'm waiting for results too and I know what you mean about the cold fear. I should know this week as I'm seeing an ENT surgeon on Friday. We'll worry together. Please post here when you get your results so we know. Good luck, sweetie!

• QCA

Thanks so much Chrissy, Kaara, and Barbe.  Your kind words are calming, well, a little!  Tears come in spells and as long as I keep occupied it's better.  Waiting is hell.  Just want to get it done and find out.

Barbe, I know you feel the same way, and you're right--we'll support each other while we wait.  I really doubt I'll get any results tomorrow, too, unlike the mammogram when the radiologist reads it while you wait.  That's protocol at the place I go when you've had bc.

For the LE test, the surgeon has a machine (name unknown to me) and puts sensors on the arm in various places which measure the arm, all electronically.  I figure we're paying for the machine.  I could perhaps understand the necessity if I'd had a mastectomy in the beginning.  I had a lumpectomy and they only removed 3 nodes, and the results have been within normal limits both times.  I'm due to see the bs again since I had the mammogram last week, but will wait to make the appt now based on the path report I'll get.

I'll definitely post the results, Barbe.  You do too.  Prayers and hugs.

Kathy

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262

Kathy- know my prayers are with you also. Waiting is so very hard to do. Sending gentle hugs and you insurance should pay fo the BMX since by law they are required to pay for any procedure that will make you look symmetrical after a bc dx and treatments. Check with the state insurance department for more information on what they are supposed to cover. Take care of yourself and feel free to cry all you need to. We all understand and love you.

• dragonflymary
    dragonflymary Member Posts: 325

Kathy, praying for you in your stereotactic bx.  Can't see why you need that LE test but the surgeon may know something I don't know.  Love to you,

Dragon