INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Melatonin comes usually as a 3mg or  5mg pill or capsule.  A lot of people find to start they use just one of either the 3 or the 5.  I started on the 3mg but it wasn't enough so I took two and did so for a long time.  The last lot that I got was the 5mg and I took two but found this was a bit much as I just wanted to keep sleeping....lol....so I have dropped it back to just the one 5mg per night.   You can take up to 20mg safely but I have not needed to do any where near that. 

• ATeamNana
    ATeamNana Member Posts: 224

shoud I be pressing a refresh button or something to keep up?  I cant seem to figure out how to keep my page refreshed on this site

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164

Nancy my friends husband travels throughout the far east on business and he swears by melatonin, he has to deal with jet lag and he says it really works for him.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Cheryl Is that similar to a jack russel?

ATN we had a shnausser(sic) and beagle mix for 15 years. looked like a stuffed toy benjy dog

Chrissy i do have to get that melatonin ----glad we have an explanation how to use it. Thanks Nancy for thinking of that, it would have been the same with me ----how much etc.

• chrissyb

Nana, when we get to the bottom of the page of posts, it doesn't always go directly to a new page but at the bottom of the page where the page numbers are, there will be a word  'last' just click this and it will take you to the top of the new page.

• ATeamNana

Is Melatonin over the counter...

• ATeamNana

Ok I did see last earlier...thanks for the tip

• chrissyb

They both work the same, but at the level of 3mg some people find that enough.  It never was for me that's wy I doubled it but the five is just perfect.  It doesn't work like a sleeping pill and that is the beauty of it.  You can take it late even if you have to get up early so long as you set your alarm as I am presuming you would do anyway.  It doesn't artificially put you to sleep, it just gives your naturally produced melatonin a boost to allow you to sleep more naturally.

• sas-schatzi

ATN------yes use the refresh button allot , we really post like it's a chat room, but we all are pretty slow typers in general. I'm a 2 finger typer that has to look at the keys-------I envy people who are skilled with this LOL

• ATeamNana

OK thanks I'm rather not take the ambien..but it is what I have even though

it does not always keep me asleep....but right now I'm getting sleepy so I

may try to shut my eyes and see if I can sleep........it was very nice chatting ...I may be back

if I'm unable to shut my brain down...wish I had a switch I could flip:)  I do feel less stressed/anxious....just chatting with someone helps...whatever the conversation

• chrissyb

We naturally produce melatonin in the same place in our brains as we produce seratonin and dopamine but it has been prooven that menopause can cause the producton of the melatonin to drop and that is why women of that certain age have sleep problems.  All you are doing by taking it in a pill is giving your system a boost.

• sas-schatzi

Well all I'm going to have to check out my legs are swelling . I was here for several hours earlier today and my legs are rebelling. It was so nice to see you all  L&H's sheila

• chrissyb

Hope you manage to sleep Nana!

Hope you sleep too Shiela!  catch you tomorrow....maybe!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• ATeamNana

good night..I will pop in again sometime.....

• hbcheryl

Yes a Parson is similar to a Jack, not as stocky as a Jack.  I took my guests to the beach this afternoon for a walk and I took them to dog beach as it's so much fun to see all of the doges running in and out of the water enjoying themselves, well I saw the funniest looking dog it was a Pit Bull/Basset Hound mix it had the body of a basset and the face of a Pit, but it was so happy running low to the ground in the sand.

• hbcheryl

Nite Nana

• hbcheryl

Nite SAS

• chrissyb

Cheryl, I once had a basset/wiener and he was the funniest looking dog but a real sweety and very protective of our family.  He had the colouring of a wiener, the face and ears of a wiener but the body and legs were all basset!

• hbcheryl

Here in Huntington we have a massive dog beach, I like to go there and walk as you see so many different types of dogs, of course there are the usual water dogs as the Retrievers and Labs but there little fru frus and Collies they just run the gammit also saw an Irish Wolfhound, now that's one I wouldn't want to pick up after, and surprisingly theyall get along.  Chrissy usually the funniest looking ones are are the sweetest.

• chrissyb

The fur baby I have now is a mini poodle/ mini foxy and I'm sure she thinks she's human.   She was supposed to be mine but somewhere along the line she found that DH will spoil her to bits whereas mom is the disciplinarian so guess who she sits on, sleeps with and generally tags along with?

• chrissyb

This is a pic of her.  Her name is Tinkerbell

• hbcheryl

Oh Chrissy she is so sweet looking.  Nancy our snotty female kitty just jumped her brother and chased him out the window, only thing he ever did wrong was to come and live here, boy I feel sorry for him, he's such a big wuss.

• chrissyb

Cheryl, I have two cats I think I've said before but the littlest one who is also the oldest is the boss with a Capital 'B'! and she often chases the other one out of the room so Miss Puss has now started to get on the back of my arm chair out of harms way.....it's so pathetic seeing her run from Sook as with one swat of her paw I'm sure she would knock Sook for a six!

• hbcheryl

Oh yeah she is queen and she's no spring chicken but she can take down a bird in the blink on an eye.  She got really sick last year I think she got a bad bird, but this year at bird season she was back at it, I have to close my bedroom door otherwise I get "gifts"

• hbcheryl

Chrissy yes, Frank is now 5 and he's a ginger Tom, he's massive he could take her out with one swat but noooo he's a wuss.

• chrissyb

I just love the way they bring gifts....lol.....it's like they are feeding their family!

• chrissyb

Miss Puss is on the back of my chair as I am typing and all I can hear is her big loud PURR!

• hbcheryl

Nancy how lucky for you and you're right they need to be "thanked"  Miss Puss knows when she's on a good thing.

• chrissyb

Her full name is Miss Puss E. Kat and she is a mainecoon so she is no light weight.  When she jumps onto the chair the whole thing vibrates!  The little ones name is Miss Sookie Two Shoes as she is black and white and has two white feet.   I like giving my cats big names....lol....can't tell can you?

• chrissyb

Miss Puss was a walk in about eight years ago.....I have no idea where she came from.  I advertised but no-one claimed her so I kept her as she is beautiful and such a lovely nature.   Sookie cam from the vets as a kitten with her three brothers the last of which dies three years ago.  I'm a sucker for animals so I just couldn't choose one kitten I had to take all four!  Just as well my DH loves me and fortunately for me, for someone who didn't have animals growing up, he actually love them too.