Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Well been studying stuff on hotflashes. Found a site that said menopause can lead to the development of allergies. Well tamox and AI's certainly do lead to the ninth degree of estrogen loss. I've developed a zillion allergies since starting on arimidex. Would have liked to of had a pre AI bloodtest. Essesntially no sensitivities before AI's now getting worse with each month. UGH.

• sas-schatzi

Well doc says it breathing in the chlorine versus contact with the eardrum --------but I think I will get earplugs too can't hurt and may help to keep the chlorine from direct contact. Still can't believe it isn't ruptured. Had one before and feels the same.

• sas-schatzi

But it's confirmed----no rupture ----very glad I didn't wait until monday to find out.

She did a food allergy blood test in dec 09 by bloodtest. The list is very long. BUT it was after being on arimidex for 7 months

• sas-schatzi
    The whole eye thing have experienced for along time. Same as you. Used to use drops to clear them up after a shower then finally figured out the connection. Sure hope it doesn't mean I have to limit swimming. It was theone thing I didn't object to doing ------as the pools about 15 ft outside my doorUndecided
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

I find that I'm not actually allergic to foods just that my stomach has become sensitve to certain things and certain ways of cooking.  I find that as much as I love the really slow cooked stuff I can't eat very much as it really upsets the stomach something awful!  I would have thought that it would aide the digestion being so soft but it seems to agravate it......UGH!!!!

• chrissyb

The only pool available where I am is the public pool and is a small one.  That's not a problem is  itself, but it in inhabited but a lot of prepubescent boys who like to do bombs and becomes a little crowded for this old bird!

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy, it might be something your adding to the pot. The number one thing on my list is Basil, Black pepper is on it , All the grains, banans , cantaloupe, cashews, pineapple--------several make my gums swell where the tough, chicken-vomiting------strange stuff. If she hadn't tested me in 09 . I would be wondering what all this strange stuff that was going on. She has solved so many problems that other doc's would be drawing all the wrong conclusions

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Hi Chrissy - I'm so sorry about your friend, Junie.

I had a lovely day at the beach. I came home about 5:30 absolutely exhausted. I don't know what it is about sitting at the beach that is so tiring. I was falling asleep in my chair, so I went to bed early. I woke up about midnight (thinking it must be at least 3 or 4 in the morning). I've been up ever since - on line a little bit, then reading. I should probably go back to bed, but since I have no plans for tomorrow, I can sleep in.

• sas-schatzi

pineaplle and rye seeds in pumpernickle made my gums swell like gingivitis, but only where they touched. The swelling subsided in several days--------I know the dentist would have never said "what did you eat". He would have said"you need to take better care of your mouth". She was right on mark.

• chrissyb

I've thought of the Shiela and tried all sortd of things but still the same so now I make a slow cook as a treat and make sure I have plenty of ant acid on hand for after.....lol.   I have found that through the years there are certain thigs that wil 'set me off'  so to speak but I usually avoid those things and have little trouble but will the addition of all the drugs and supps that I now take, it's a case of who's doing what to the ole digestive system and it's purely a guessing game.

• sas-schatzi

Hauntie thanks for the happy b-day it was a GREATTTTTT day, you changed your avatar? Is it an angel?

• chrissyb

Thanks Hauntie.

I love sitting on the beach and feeling that tiredness later.  I think it is the rhythmic sound of the waves lapping the shore that lulls us and totally relaxes us making us very tired.  I should take a recorder to the beach and just record the sounds so I can lull mysef to sleep when I need to!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi
    Well I'll try and bring the stuff with me in sept. But the testings expensive and minimally reimbursable here. I've cut out most things on the list, once in awhile I'll try something just to see what happens. I used to have to take Pepcid complete daily. Haven't had to take it for better that a year. Coffee/cocoa is on the listUndecided. But I think coffee was the worst offender
  • Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

That's an idea - recording the actual sound of the surf. Those sound machines, just don't seem to get it right. I think I'm going to give sleep another try. Take care.

• sas-schatzi

I'm going to check a couple of threads and hit the sack. DS came home for my B-day and he will probably leave by noon ----don't want to miss any hours with him.  LOVE and HUGS sheila

• chrissyb

Thanks Shiela, it will bfe interesting to have a look at it.  I find instant coffee does upset me worst than brewed but seeing as how I probably only drink two cups a week I don't think it makes that much difference.  I usually drink loads of black tea.

• chrissyb

Night girls!   sleep well Hauntie!   Shiela, enjoy your time together!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99

Is INSOMNIA a side effect of chemo?

I find I'm only getting a few hours of sleep a night and yet I know I need more to heal.  I've tried melatonin - thanks Chrissy - and I've also tried Valerian root. The Valerian used to be a sure remedy but not now. Melatonin is the same. Tylenol PM is less effective and my body has built up a resistance to it.

Now I know insomnia can be from emotional issues too.  I'm about ready to ask my Onc for a prescription for Ambien. Has anyone tried this?

Hugs- Kat 

• chrissyb

Hi Kat, yes a lot of people go for the Ambien if the other things don't work and find they do wonders so go for it.  Insomnia can be caused by a lot of things and wether we want to face it ot not, a lot of times it is a combination of the drugs and emotional factors that are occuring that keep us from sleep.  Also, while we are doing these treatments we are not as active as usual so of course our body is not feeling the usual fatigue from the day to day things.   The bottom line is, that it all adds up to the dreaded insomnia.

There are some things that we can do to help the sleep process and these are

1.  make sure we are in a very relaxed state before heading to bed at approx. the same time each night.  Take a warm shower, have a cup of warm milk sweetened with honey or any other warm drink that is milk based and has no caffienne.

2. make sure our bedroom is totally dark.....no night light, no light from and outside source, no light from a phone, clock/radio etc.  If neccessary, use a sleeping mask.

Should you need to take a sleep aide, continue to follow the above as it still helps.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Mouse6
    Mouse6 Member Posts: 68

Kat...do they have you on a steroid med during or before you chemo tx? That was the biggest offender for me. Well, that and anxiety.

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99

Thank you ChrissyB and Mouse6 ---- I am given steroids but this insomnia is all the time but yes worse on pre chemo days and just after. I'm pretty unstressed and calm most of the day and even before bed time so I know it's not coffee or being physically wired.

I try to get as much exercise as I did before diagnosis.  It may be just Chemo driven at this time but I will ask for Ambien if this goes on.

THank you for the suggestion. 

• chrissyb

Hi Katarina, if you are being given a steroid, then that is your culprit and the only thng that will probably help is the Ambien.  Give your doc a ring and just tell him/her that you need somethin g to sleep.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

Hi, ladies! Anybody still up?

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

No? Must mean everyone is enjoying a good night's sleep. Pleasant dreams!

• chrissyb

Rohanna, I'm always up but was doing a bit of laundry so I could have some clean clothes!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hi chrissy; just checking in, i see almost everyone left...hi to /rohanna, as well..

didn't LOOK at the computer yesterday, then not today..back on the real synthyroid, rather than generic..more $, but it also might not bother me. a yellow pill works nicer than a white, my system is SO weird!!

i also remember, in the middle of this, my eyes (2mos ago) were itching red, and was dxed w/ staph infection.. it may be back..oh great; the eye dr. is out, indef..with a family emerg. and i REALLY don't like the guy covering for him. denied i ever HAD staph.. not even gonna go there. so, 2morrow, looking for a new eye dr.. joy!!!

in the meantime; back on the synthyroid, but totally exhausted. if the staph is back, thats; probably it. my insulin needs have increased, and thats' a sure sign of infection for me...

i may have decided on something not so smart; but i had an appt w/ another endo onAug 3rd; and im gonna keep the appt..just as a second opinion. i really don't know about the "remote" control this dr. is using, but i like the office. I'll just get info on the 3rd, then think about it. got some questions, so may as well get someone elses' opinions...

soon, i'll have to decide about shell knob, esp since the rates went down... somedays are better than others.. i DO see a much better result, since i've added the vit.d3; and i was pretty low, so maybe it'll work out.. i don't know which way to turn right now...

but, am ever hopeful for better days.

Happy Belated Birthday, SAS; glad you had a good one........3jays

• chrissyb

Hey 3jays, the main thing for you is to get better.....as disappointing as it will be if you can't make Shell Knob it does not outweigh the need for you to get a handle on everything going on.  Keep in your mind that in six weeks I will be there with you.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,514

Still up here too! Greetings, ladies!

Judith

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hey Judith, catching all those spammers, i see.. and chrissy, i can't WAIT till ya get here......3jays

• chrissyb

Hi Judith!  Hope the hunt goes well!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy