Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

I've had the same problem with narcotic pain meds. Since I've been taking them every night because of my recent PMX  - no sleep problems. Want no pain and good sleep - motrin pm. Unfortunately, because I take a prescription anti inflammatory daily I can't take them.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Hi Hauntie-------I hope things are improving.  I gave up and went back on the patch last night. Fibromyalgia induced by Aromasin. Had been off the patch effectively a month. Bummer.

Saw 3jays and ChrissyB on the 17th in lauderdale. Great visit. Chrissy and I had a wild adventure with a ride down and around Miami and South Beach. Snuck into Fountainbleau. I may have posted this on the previous page , but if I go look I'll loose this LOL.  I'm not used to big city traffic anymore. They drive like maniacs and I drive like a little old lady LOL.  Chrissy and I stayed up til 2:30 am talking.  She got to see and swim in an  award winning beach. DANIA. We just followed where the road took us.

I know you had a great visit with her too. We should suggest that she try to tabulate how many states that people came from to see her.

I'll check in later if I'm on and see that you postedCool 

• sas-schatzi

3 jays--------hello if you come here tonight. It was a great visit with you , but I said that already. Mur is such a great guy. He treats you like a Princess.

You should be on the 4th day of the new med, is it working? Troubles?

For me I don't know if it was all the activity or the sun exposure , but it sent the fibro into overdrive, as I said to Hauntie went back on the patch last night. I'll do it a week and see if things have calmed down. Schatzi gave me a licking bath when I got in LOL. My friend that stayed here enjoyed herself so much she said anytime in the future ask her first when I need to go without her. Figured out that was the first trip I took by myself since I was prego in 1984, other than conferences.

Hope all's going well

• Denise2730
    Denise2730 Member Posts: 320

Sas - what patch are you talking about?

Also my sister and I both have trouble sleeping when we take pain medication. I always take Ativan a few hours before bed or I wouldn't sleep at all with the anxiety and fibro.

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

SAS - things are improving, but I know I went back to work too soon. I work at a school, so a full day for me is only 6 1/2 - 7 hours. I started last week at 4 hours with the intention of going full time this week. I hit noon - 1 p.m. and I'm completly wiped out. I'm coming home every day and taking a 2-3 hour nap. I'm wearing foobs in either a soft pull over bra or camisole with pockets, but I can't wait to get it off as soon as I get home. The pain/nerve irritation is not too bad during the day, but at night it catches up with me and I'm pretty sore. I have a second job, 2 days a week, that keeps me at school until 6:00. That's 10 straight hours with kids. I haven't started it yet. I told them I'd start the first of October. I think I'm going to delay it by at least a couple of weeks. How are you doing?

• sas-schatzi

Chilluver-----Fentanyl 25 mcg. It's a low dose of a very strong narcotic. I have fibromyalgia from the AI's>>>Arimidex started it>>>>>>>then Femara>>>>now Aromasin. It's also due to a drug interaction with Norvasc. Things improved when my dose of Norvasc was cut in half. Pain improved so much that I had effectively been off the patch 3 weeks and hadn't taken any oxy since July 30th. Use of Oxy had been rare, but had to increase it's use along with the patch in may >>>june>>july. On July 30th even talked with PCP about stopping Aromasin. In problem review she asked me to cut Norvasc in half that  day b/c of low BP. Within 24-36 hrs my pain level went down.

Hadn't used an oxy until coming home from my visit with Chrissy and 3 jays. That was Sunday night and Mon night, pain Tues but didn't take anything. Wed I just said that's it, back on the patch. I had polio as a 2 y/o, I'm used to a fairly high daily level of pain. The AI's affect me differently I think b/c of the post polio. Similar to 3jays in that she has a pre-existing condition that flares when something else messes with her body.

The fentanyl low dose is different than oxy and hydrocodone b/c it's transdermal slow absorption.The s.e. for me at that dose are minimal. It usually is prescribed to be changed every 72 hrs., but to avoid addiction problems , I wear it a week. By the 6th day , I either know I will need to do a new one the next day or not. For, example next wed may be even thurs. I will make a choice to put on a new one. Doing it the way I'm doing it is highly unusual, but my Saint PCP understands my concerns regarding addiction and is willing to work with it. I can't take any Nsaids b/c they all make my BP elevate. I am hopeful that it was just all the activity this last weekend or the sun exposure. The sun exposure b/c of my BP meds. Didn't have anything to cover my arm, covered leg with a towel. Didn't think of the shirt I had hanging in the back seat-------DUH. I feel confident it was a blip.

Fentanyl is a strong narcotic drug, but it also a proserotnergic drug-- meaning it increases serotonin. That's why it helps the fibropain. But not all doc's would get that. I said allot here just in case someone wants to talk with there doc about it. I would not use the drug if it had to be changed every 72 hrs. for me that is way more than I need.

Oxy and Hydrocodone cause to many s.e.'s and are way to addicting for my need. They are there for the bad flares only. I hope this all makes sense.

• sas-schatzi

Hauntie-------I know your pain and fatigue. I so wish our government was more understanding on what cancer does to us. How you are getting through the days I don't know. Is there any way you can not do the second job and get by?Is there anyway you can take of altogether fo awhile longer?

Basically my answer to Chilluver answered your question as to how I'm doing. Chrissy wore me out LOL. Really it was my fault -------could have not stayed up till 2:30 with all of the 3-4 days of activity before.       But I was having such a great time I didn't want it to end. I'll have to say it was the high-light of 2011 so far. The last three years sucked so bad. I just looked at 3 Jays car pulling away and went in an had a wee bit of a cry. It also would have helped if I had a wee bit less vodka. Lesson learned, but it was a first playtime in along time.Undecided Our road trip was something I used to do allot before BC. Just go where the road takes youCool

• sas-schatzi

I'm going to have Tea as Chrissy would say, I'll check back in later Chill and Hauntie ((((H))))))'s

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

SAS, so glad you had such a great time with Chrissy and 3jays!  You deserve it.  I enjoyed dinner with her, Hauntie and a few others too.  Wish there were more opportunities to get together. 

• sas-schatzi

Hauntie----My twin complained about the same thing with her foobs. She then retired and mostly gave up on wearing them---------Try Whippetmom She may have a suggestion re: a chest protector that will take the pressure of the nerve incision sites--------She is so amazing it's worth a try

• sas-schatzi

Kay hello still there?

• sas-schatzi

Kay how are you doing. It's been just over a month  from your sx-------All okay

• sas-schatzi

Well re: opportunities to get together my door is open for ya'll. Can even bring your dog if you have one LOL. AnD the pool is still wonderful for at least 2 months ____I hope

• Kay_G

Haha!  Thanks for the invitation!  I am doing well.  It has been 5 weeks since sx.  I had a rads simulation three days ago.  Yesterday, my hand swelled up.  Pretty big.  It was difficult to move my fingers.  Today, it was a little better, but I called the onc.  Have an appointment for an U/S to rule out blood clot tomorrow.  And now the swelling is going down.  Oy Vey!  This crazy stuff always happens to me.

We do have a dog, an almost 7 y.o. Bichon.  Would love to visit, but the DD has school and I will be starting rads in 2 weeks which will be every day.  And then I'll probably be going back to work.  sigh......

• sas-schatzi

Kay i'm sorry I missed you, we haven't caught up in awhile. The next plan is taking down 7 trees and a new drive. It was a DUH thing on the trees, why couldn't I have thought of it one month earlier. If a "Blow" comes our way and one of'em falls , it will just bum me right out. Shouldn't be doing all this to the house b/c value has dropped to the basement. Bu tif I don't do it on the drive, it will be a sale buster. If I don't take down the trees first, they will hurt the new drive. Acatch 22. Hope someones come back

• sas-schatzi

Kay your hand swelled with one rad?  Is that wierd-------I'm ignorant of all that has to do with radiation.

Remember I said April was the most beautiful and dependable month in Florida. What kind of work?

• Kay_G

Hi again!  No I didn't have any rads yet, just simulation.  But I had to hold my arm over my head for almost an hour with my hand gripped to a bar.  When it was over and the nurse said I could take my hands down, but I couldn't unclench my fingers.  Nurse had to pry them open.  So could it be from just having my hand clenched like that?  DH thought it could be a blood clot from that.  Could also be lymphedema from the node surgery.  I do have a small cut on the hand too.  I don't know how I got that. 

• sas-schatzi

A wierd thing happens in our area, people feel the tax appraisal is the value of the house. That's not the usual in most places. So, last taxadjustment puts the value of my house 6, 000 < I paid in 1992. This area near the space center --Kennedy has been devastated by job losses with the shuttle program ending. Just kind of babbling till someone comes back

• sas-schatzi

Kay maybe her nail cut you as she pryed your hand loose. This all sounds strange . Perhaps someone on the Rads site would have a clue, but stay here awhile

• sas-schatzi

Kay why did you have to stay in that position for so long?

• Kay_G

That's a shame.  I know Florida is one of the hardest hit areas for house prices.  We are seeing it here too.  But we had lived in Michigan for a year.  We lost our shirts when we sold that house.  Only sold it for 60% of what we paid for it, and it took 2 years to sell it.  Are you going to be selling your house soon?

• sas-schatzi

I have had my hands a feet spasm similar to what you are describing. The hands are different than the feet. But I know that feeling it's strange not being able to let go of something cuz the muscles have spasmed so much.

• sas-schatzi

Kay Hope not or I'll loose every dime we ever put into it. What I need is a roommate with a dog. I have even considered trying to take in a homeless family whose homeless , but have jobs. More and more of that is happening here

• Kay_G

Oh, glad you don't have to sell.  It is not a good time to have to do that any where.  Hope you have luck finding a great house mate.

• sas-schatzi

Kay if I took in a family , then they would be able to get back on their feet, I would have company, The exchange would be that they would have to do there own food and share utilities. It would be risky in trying to find a match , any ideas

• sas-schatzi

They wouldn't have any other costs b/c the house is paid for, and they could help with the maitenance I can't do. I have been thinking about this for awhile, but not sure where to get started.

• Kay_G

hmmmm........maybe Catholic social services could help?  We have a program in our church where they help homeless families.  I think only single parent families though.  They put them up in our church and other churches in the area and then help them find permanent housing and jobs and day care and such. I don't know what kind of screening they do before taking the families into the program though.  You certainly want to make sure they are good people.  And I'm sure there are good people out there in bad situations with this economy that sucks.  It is a great idea, but like you say risky that you would not get good people.  I would certainly ask for references and check them out before letting someone share your house. 

• sas-schatzi

That's the big deal about it. You hear stories about background checks that didn't really do well. They would have to be absolutely trustworthy

• sas-schatzi

One parent family, maybe I could make a deal with the Catholic charities they provide someone to clean the one and only gutter and I'll take in a working mom and a couple of kids?

• Kay_G

Yeah, that's scarey.  It would be nice to know someone that you trusted who knew the prospective house mate(s) and could give them a good reference.