Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

ChrissyI could tell from your writing that they were new to you. So, squirrels are to us as rabbits are to you

Ro A buck, a doe, and two fawns almost sounds like a story out of disney.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Next time I come to the USA (and I hope I will)  I would love to visit so I could see those deer fwith my own two little eyes....LOL

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

Chrissy, squirrels are cute but I think the feral cats consider them delicious! I wonder why you don't have squirrels and possums? I'd trade them for koalas!

Sas, there are about 8 to 20 back there at a time. One buck has a deformed front leg and was having a lot of trouble walking and keeping up with the herd. We've contacted the Humane Society and they're going to see what they can do about getting the deer tranqued and have surgery to repair the leg. They're worried about whether the deer can handle the anesthesia. I'm hoping for the best. To me, they have faces as sweet as puppies. Oh, and they're white tails.

• rohanna

chrissy, you're welcome to visit anytime! We'll sit in the backyard and watch the deer and have some margaritas. Oh, and we'll invite sas!

• sas-schatzi

chrissy, The deer population exploded throughout the usa. Then they got a disease that is consider zoonotic. It was being passed to cattle. Don't know all the details b/c it's an upnorth problem right know. In some sates to control the situatuion they have increased the number of deer in a season. AND at least in Michigan all deer meat need to be tested before it can be eaten----course may be things are under control now and i'm behind the times.

Ro Dh never saw a possum, must be from NEW YORK LOL

• chrissyb

Ro, sounds like a plan to me!  Hope that buck is okay!  Wonder what caused his leg problem?  We do have possums here but they are entirely different to look at.  I'll see if I can find a pic of one for you.  Give me a couple of minutes and I'll be back.

• sas-schatzi

Okay- I'm up for that. Don't forget the umbrellas for the drinks. And we will wear funny sock that will attract the butterflies as we put our feet up LOLOl LOL

• sas-schatzi

Got into a binge of eating sour dough bread and "bread and butter picles--------Chrissy ever have those type of pickles

• rohanna

sas, the only good thing to come out of our little town growing so quickly is that the area I live in is now considered "city limits" and it's illegal to discharge a firearm in this area. Which is funny because there's 10 acres of woods behind my house and my city boy DH considers this the sticks. I had heard about that disease a while ago but it hasn't been mentioned lately. Hope it doesn't spread to Tennessee because the deer population here has really exploded.

• chrissyb

These are called pygmy possums.

This is a ringtail possum

and this one is the common possum

• rohanna

I don't know about butterflies, but the mosquitoes are as big as condors! I'll stock up on Citronella!

• sas-schatzi

I missed somthing the Buck had a leg problem?

Sharon did you leave? You just kind of have to jump in here anywhere.

• chrissyb

Sheila, yes I've heard of those pickles and I LOVE them.....lol......I prefer to eat savoury rather than sweet but I'm a sucker for pastries with fresh cream.

• sas-schatzi

Ro--------condors really, does the avon stuff work?

• chrissyb

Ro no probs, the mozzies don't like me, they always go for my DH....lol

• rohanna

No fair, chrissy. Your possums ARE cute! Ours look like rabid rats. I'll get my daughter to post some pictures of them. She's more savvy than I am with this machine. And we'll try to get some pictures of the deer. Oh, and I'll post the Cat King's picture too.

• chrissyb

If they are that big, maybe we can tether them and use the beat of their wings to fan us and keep us cool.

• chrissyb

Ro, I love to see a pic of the fat boy! and the possums!

• rohanna

sas, the mosquitoes here consider the avon stuff "special human sauce". We're in the delta so it's really humid here. During the summer, there's an article on the local news every night that posts how many cases of West Nile virus we have. So not only are they pesky, they're dangerous. When I go outside, I have one of those Off mosqito repellers and burn citronella candles. I hate those little bloodsuckers!

chrissy, I want a pygmy possum!

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy, I remmeber that remeber when we firstwent to the pastry shop, then to the hot dog place.-------Had our hot dogs b/c I had a craving then ate our pastries. HMMMMM then on to Fountbleua, then to South Beach. Have you seen the movie Birdcage, can't remember? It is quintesential Miamii and SB. Robin Wiiliams, Nathan Hale and Frank Azaria and the rest----OMG Funniest.

• rohanna

sas, are you near Miami? I visited there a decade ago and LOVED it!

• chrissyb

Sheila, yeh I've seen that movie and I have to say it's one of my favorites!!!  And I remember the trip down to South Beach.....how could I forget?  It was a fabulous time we spent together...I only wish it could have been longer.

• chrissyb

Ro the pygmy possum is no bigger than a mouse and they are so cute!  They are nectar eaters and feed on the blossoms of the native trees.  They are nocturnal and have their nests in the hollows of gum trees.

• sas-schatzi

Ro that's terrible about the squeeters. You would think we would have a bigger problem than you, but we don't------Must be you live closer to wild areas--------Duh you do you have deer in your back yard.-------Here they spray, but must be in the middle of the night. Haven't seen a truck in years. Plus they are huge into surface water management in populated areas. therefore, it reduces there breeding grounds.------I'm in central florida across from Kennedy space center.

• rohanna

Now I definitely want a pygmy possum! Why do ours have to be so ugly and destructive? I'll definitely have to post a picture now. Ours are nocturnal too but they're carrion eaters. They've even been found inside humans who die in the woods! Gross!

• chrissyb

Every summer here our local councils put out flyers reminding people to empty the trays under the pot plants as the mozzies love to breed in them.  They are pretty hot on keeping them down.  Can't say I blame then as they do transmit some very nasty diseases.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439

Hi ladies,

Sorry to hear about your mets, Chrissy, I have much the same mets in spine, hip, since dxed 3 yrs ago, and am still on the same type of meds for them.

About the diverticulitis girls, keep yourselves very aware of it and any changes to your normal bowel routine.  I was told I had mild diverticulitis about 6 yrs ago, but was told not to eat things with seeds in them such as corn, passionfruit, tomatoes or hard grains.  

After weeks of diarrhoea, I went to my local hospital five weeks ago when I experienced sharp pain around the belly button area.  Mind you, I went a week earlier for pain across the lower pubic area and was told to take Buscopan and it would clear up in a couple of days.  The second time, a different Dr sent me for an x-ray and I went from about to go home to emergency surgery in the middle of the night.  Woke up, in shock, with a Colostomy bag which I will have to endure for at least three months and if/when it is reversed I still run the risk of having it happen again if I'm not very careful.

The surgeon was quite emphatic that the bowel perforation was caused by the Diverticulitis.  I will be seeing him next Thursday, for the first time since leaving hospital, and have a list of questions a mile long to ask him because I didn't know enough when I was in hospital.  

Believe me when I say this is one of the yuckiest things I never dreamt of having to deal with and I can't seem to get my gag reflex to back down.  It certainly makes you think twice about putting anything solid in your mouth, in fact, the only good thing to come of it was losing 12 kgs which took some pressure off my knees, hips and feet.

Hope this wasn't TMI, but just felt that it might help us all to be more careful.

Sheila. 

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy and they carry their babies on their backs. They are ugly. But must say I love Feral cats, carion eaters, Constrictor snakes. Vultures,--------What am I missing? They all keep the rat population undercontrol. Bless them one and all.

• rohanna

sas, next time they're looking for volunteers to be shot into space, let me know. That's the only thing on my bucket list. I would love to "boldy go" before I take the dirt nap! I cried when they retired the last space shuttle. They had a team of astronauts come to our school before I retired and I was like a little girl at a Justin Beiber concert. They're my rock stars.

• chrissyb

Wow Aussie are you on the mend now?  That must have been dreadfull!  Never TMI if it;s something that can help others.

Ro, that possum of your certainly is gross....yuk!   I would never have thought a possum to be a carrion eater.