Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Sheila, I agree, anything that keeps the rat population down is a good thing but here in Aus the feral cats do a lot of damage to the native wildlife as we have lots of little critters and of course lots of nesting birds that have their nests raided by them.

Ro, I would love to see the stars up close but I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a chicken but if someone tapped me on the shoulder and said I had been picked to go I don't think I would refuse..........onward and upward to the stars and infinity!   I think Buzz said that......can't remember the name of the movie though...lol

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Ro--- we can go out the front door and watch all lauches. different angles . Now that the shuttles done. Shit--------brain drain from the area. The flippin Usa government let something go as huge as this------JFK would be rolling over in his grave.  But if you want your ashes sent into space. There is a company that does it, but I think it's kind of expensive-----Generoddenbury----producer of Star Trek had is ashes shot into space.

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

Shelia, OMG, I'm so sorry about what happened! I've heard of this happening before and it's one of my biggest worries since I seem to have the attacks so often. I pray that you heal quickly! Let us know what your doctor tells you when you see him. I was told not to eat those foods too and the dr. included coconut and rice. I bought one of those Magic Bullet food processors and I liquify a lot of fruits and vegetables now. If I find out any more techniques to keep this disease at bay, I'll pass it on to you.

I'm beginning to think there's a link between BC and diverticulitis!

• chrissyb

I was told to make sure I kept thing moving without too many changes in texture.  To try and keep it formed but soft........

• sas-schatzi

Aussie sheila sorry about what happened to you. You were miss dx'd and you should give everyone hell. Divertic can easliy be picked up by CT scan.  For you to have ended up with a colostomy , says someone didn't either order a CT scan, or didn't read it carefully enough, or didn't listen well enough to what you were telling them. Colostomies can be hard to deal with at first, but you need a good certified colostomy/urostomy trained nurse---------demand a referral to one if it hasn't been done already. -----Sorry Babe. Your's is reversible. Some aren't. So, hang in there, it's a set back , but doesn't sound permanent. Sounds easy for me to say b/c I haven't got one to deal with. I taught an almost blind woman how to deal well with it independently.

• rohanna

chrissy, I was told that too. It would be interesting to start a thread and see how many other ladies have BC and diverticulitis.

• chrissyb

Ro interesting indeed.  Why don't you?

• rohanna

Going to do it now. Then I'm going to curl up with a Jeffrey Archer novel and a heating pad. Thanks, everyone for talking to me and sharing. I'll post those pics asap. Prayers and hugs to you all.

• chrissyb

Enjoy your book!  Look forward to seeing the pics!

Sheila, I need to go eat so I'll catch you later.  If you are still around when I'm done I'll catch up.

Aussie, likewise.

Love n hugs all.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi

Divertic increase with each decade we live, so experience symptoms , some don't. My GI doc's attitude was if you had two serious bouts of diverticulitis out the segment should come b/c it's made itself known to be a problem. Once it's a known problem then your a set up for a blow out------leakage from a pouch that leads to having to have surgery and a colostomy. As I said some are reversible --some are not. So, I had two bouts of of divertic------had a colon resection removing the offending segment.

Aussie sheila , you should have a lawyer with a forensic nurse or doc review your records to see if your case was managed the way it ought to have been done.

• sas-schatzi

Same hear evryone L&H's sheila

• rohanna

The new thread is under "BC and Diverticulitis". Should be interesting. Good night, Ladies, and sweet dreams.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439

Sas, I do have a stoma nurse, saw her on Thursday.  I had to wait in hospital longer than I needed to because she works at the hospital I was ambulanced to for the surgery on Tuesdays and Thursdays and my local hospital where I was dxed Mondays and Weds.  Not one nurse thought to ring her to tell her there was a new client waiting to be taught all about colostomies. Just one phone call and she would have been there a.s.a.p.

She was extremely angry on that score and also the fact that I had worn the same bag for eight days!  It had a velcro opening in the bottom and could be emptied through it.  It didn't need it for the first 4-5 days, but once they started feeding me baby type food, I needed that one nurse who took me into the bathroom, emptied the bag and then showed me how to deal with it, even though I couldn't look at it without heaving.  Without that wonderful lady, I would have been in a real mess.

I have a feeling that there might have been a certain amount of panic in our local health system when it was realised that they may have been at fault somewhere along the line.  They dragged the surgeon and theatre staff out of bed at 1 am and I was given first class treatment all the way, including two days in ICU, apart from the bag thing, which I didn't pay one dollar for.  I have since received all the bags, travel kit etc., free, even though, as I get more experienced, I have changed brands and styles of bags, which I now change at least three times a day.

All in all, if I had had it done privately through our health insurance we would have been out of pocket by thousands as I would have had to be flown south to Brisbane as we don't have any private surgeons locally.  So I am thankful that it is all over and I am feeling so much better than I was for 2-3 months before the event.

Sheila.

• chrissyb

Aussie, it's good to hear that you are feeling a whole lot better and you have gotten the bag thing under control.  You can't help having a tetchy tummy and a quick gag reflex.

How is your hubby doing now?  Has there been an improvement?

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• rohanna

crissy, here's "The King" and my princess:

These are American possums.  They are the size of very large house cats.

I'll take Austrailian possums any day.

• chrissyb

Oh my Ro, both your babies are beautiful, the four legged and the two! Wow! You sure are right when you say they look like giant rats! I certainly agree that the Aussie one are far cuter!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

Our possums are not only ugly, they are stupid.  The only road kill I've ever had was one that was crossing the street.  I slowed way down so it got across the street.  Then just as I came up to it he turned around and walked right in front of me.  No way for me to avoid hitting him.  Not at all like the deer in our town.  Many of them stop and look both ways before crossing.  And yes, they wait for oncoming traffic.  Raccoons will run across in front of you but at least they always keep going.  We also have other resident wild life that stay pretty much off the city streets like squirrels, fox, and coyotes.  The cougars and bears are just frequent visitors.

• chrissyb

Chabba, cougars and bears?  are you kidding me? WOW!  The only wild life that visits us are the sleepy lizards and the occasional roo (kangaroo).

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

We have a neighborhood black bear. He only visits if you leave your garbage outside.

Ginger

• chrissyb

I think it would be a bit scary knowing that you had dangerous animals living so close...........give me deer anyday......although I guess they could also be dangerous in thr right situation.

• chabba

Chrissy - well under half of the lots in our residential area have buildings on them.  The rest have either been cleared and developed for camping or are completely undeveloped, hence all the wildlife.  Outside of town is mostly miles of forest land.  A couple of times a cougar found its way into town.  At least once a year we get a bear.  As soon as they are spotted the local police call the state in and traps are set.  Within a few days they are trapped and hauled away.  Every year the school kids are drilled on what to do if a dangerous animal is spotted.  It is like living any where, you just make sure everyone is aware of the dangers and what to do if something happens.

the coyotes and raccoons are really our most dangerous animals.  Both have a taste for cats and small dogs and can easily kill them.  Even very large dogs aren't safe because coyotes hunt in packs.  And both will attack humans.

• chrissyb

Chabba, I didn't think racoons were that dangerous!  Amazing what you learn just by chatting....lol.  Now Coyotes I knew about.....like any dog, in a pack they are hunters.  We have the same with the dingoes but unfortunately, there are very few thorough bred dingoes left as they have inter bred with domestic dogs and tainted the blood lines.   There are a few pockets but not many.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164

Hi Chrissy, long time since I've been an insomniac!!!!!  Remember when I took you from Balboa Peninsula to Balboa Island on that little ferry, well the other day a tourist family from Taiwan were first car on and a mercedes came on after them, accelerator got stuck and pushed the familys rental van into the water, the van bobbed around for 5 minutes and kid jumped off the ferry to help get them out, people took boats out to the van the family all got out - didn't even get wet, then the car sank, how lucky they were eh but what a "what I did on my vacation" story they have to tell when they get home.  Oh and the other night I went out to my car and there was a coyote walking down the sidewalk (like a dingo) went in and made sure all the cats were in, really scary you know they're around but you really don't expect them to be walking down the sidewalk.  Hope all is well with you and the family.  Big (((HUG)))

Cheryl

• chrissyb

Hey Cheryl!  So nice to hear from you!  I keep meaning to ring you, I think of it at the wrong times and when it's the right times it's not in my mind....lol....you know how it is.  Wow!  what a holiday story indeed but I'm so glad they all got out safe.  I'm sure the insurance company of the merc owner would not be very happy over the claim they are going to get and I'm sure the drivers premiums will rise steeply!

Coyote in HB?  Wow, that really is a built up area and they still come in?  Unbelievable!  I'd make sure all the cats were in as well, they would probably be an easy meal for a coyote!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• chabba

Here is a picture of one of our more benine wild residents visiting  a local home.

• chrissyb

Oooo Chabba, that is so beautiful!  Just the look of a deer gives me the awwwwwwes!  lol

• chabba

Then if you lived here you would hve the awwwwwwws at least once a day!

• chabba

Another edited to add-- Here they even pose for the camera.

• chrissyb

Those faces just radiate gentleness and beauty!  I'm afraid I'm a real softy and can't bear to harm an animal.............how can some people hunt these beautiful creatures?

• chabba

Me too.  We have a city ordinance prohibiting hunting within city limits.  The hunters I despise the most are those who try to avoid detection by hunting with a bow.  We have recently had two does shot with arrows here, wounded and allowed to get away and die in pain.  The hunters should be tied to a post, be shot in the thigh and left to suffer.  I know that is bloodthirsty but I can't think of anything else that could teach them the consequences of their acts.  I would never really advocate doing it, but..........