Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Just realized that I wrote this thread two years ago. WOW so happy things now are not what they were :) sassy

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hey Sas, how you doing?

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy, You were up late when you posted, sorry I missed you. I posted that and went straight back to bed. Doing well. Insomnia is not an issue anymore___THANK GOD. Been off Ativan for several months and rarely use Melatonin anymore. BUT have multiple bottles of melatonin, I bought several on sale. Then a friend gave me several bottles b/c it didn't work for her and she had multiple bottles she bought on sale. I have enough for a lifetime LOL. It's a year plus since the crainiotomy(march 27th, 2012). Forehead on right still has pain to the touch, very minor though. The itchiness of the forehead and scalp has progressively subsided too. Minor issue. On 6 month rotation @ MO's will go to yearly next Jan,2014. DBF and I have been living together since Nov,2012. We have some issues, but working on them. Bad news--sister is on liver transplant list Ugh. and she's a horrible patient, doesn't get the word compliance to treatment which got her on the list to begin with. Ds is doing VERY well, but no love interest yet. Except for dear sister, life is good.

How are you? It's about 10 months since knee op? How's the bone mets? How's all the kids? Lordy, it's been way too long since we chatted. Will look for your update tomorrow during the day. :) sassy

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

I had the sleep study. 72 things attached to me since it wasnt just for sleep apnea.  Wow was I a sight! I slept from about 11 PM until they awakened me at 6 AM.  I used a ton of shampoo to get the goop off of me and out of my hair.  It was actually a good bed and quiet room, nice tech and decent shower too.  I will get the results in two weeks.  The tech did tell me I didn't do anything "interesting"  my husband was sad about that but hopefully my brain waves will tell them something so I stop screaming in the night.  My poor husband.  

Hugs Ginger

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Hope they can sort something out Ginger.

• sas-schatzi

Ginger, if they find nothing interesting, you can have a sleep study at home, not near the number of wires. May be it's your DH He'll love hearing that sassy

Hello Allyson things are heating up nicely, you should join us on STFU, most are on both Sassy

• LadyJaye
    LadyJaye Member Posts: 5

I could not be anymore happy to have been told about this thread!

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022

Ladyjaye. The steroids given to me during chemo also kept me up. I had to take benadryl and ativan to get any sleep. As someone on the other thread said, I'm going to ask to not have steroids the next time.

I just am coming back from seeing a good counselor. I found her by asking a friend who is a counselor. I feel very lucky to have found d this lady because she has worked with many cancer patients, including metastatic patients. I think it's hard for folks to understand what it's like to be metastatic unless you either are or have worked with a lot of us. Nice to have someone to talk to.

Susan

• LadyJaye
    LadyJaye Member Posts: 5

Good news ladies....half an ambien worked last night.  I don't feel "drugged," or groggy today.  I have an appt with my psychiatrist on Monday to follow up.

I just want to say thank you for all of the support.  I've been dealing with my diagnosis since February and I don't think I realized how much my life has/will change until just a few days ago.  I don't think I understood what Stage IV meant till just a few days ago.  I'm glad I've found this forum to share my experiences with people who understand because...most people dont!

I promise to be a support as much as I seek to be supported!

• sas-schatzi

Susan and LadyJaye, Welcome here come often as you need. I'm back to sleeping now so don't come often. The thread goes in spurts . It all depends on connecting with others that aren't sleeping. The day I started the thread was a hoot, I think we did 14 pages. I'll check--yup 14 in 35 hours LOL. It was a whirlwind. Just like a chat room. Good Luck with all your treatments :) sheila

• Pawprint
    Pawprint Member Posts: 354

Ugh....no sleep at all last night. It's going to be a long day. Been waiting for insurance to okay my ambien refill. Doctor wrote them but they still haven't approved refill. If I buy it without insurance approval it's almost 50 dollars a month. With insurance it's only 5 dollars. Tried all the OTC but not helping with sleep. I just googled sunrise time. So I guess I will get up and get started on welcoming in the new day.

• sas-schatzi

brokendream, so, know the pure exhaustion. The feeling of five pound weights on shoulders,arms, legs. UGH. I did Ativan4mg and melatonin 10mg for  atime , more than a year. I felt it was a high dose on the ativan, but PCP okay with it. She knew I needed sleep. Everyone has a different thing and dose that finally works. Did start to bed earlier last Oct(2012)--9-9:30 then up 4:30 to as late as 6 am LOL. Then somedays drowsy around 8 am. Napped 8-10. I felt better and better. Began to wean off meds. Now take nothing. The schedules the same. Good Luck

• Gingerbrew

I am back at sleeping all day up all night. Grrr. 

• sas-schatzi

OH, Ginger, so sorry, it makes our lives sooooooooomuch harder. What changed. Is it the sleep apnea problems?

• Gingerbrew

I dont have sleep apnea, but night terrors. My circadean rhythym is all messed up. If I am not very strict with myself I slip back into the night awakeness. It is sort of like my day is longer than 24 hours, I think.  I will hear back from the sleep study in a week or so more.   

The rest of you sleep, sleep, restful wishes of peaceful sleep. 

Ginger. 

• sas-schatzi

GB, opps sorry now remember the description. Hope all gets resolved.

• sas-schatzi

Good Morning-friends, have been working on an issue with a member. Wanted to share with you all the note below b/c of it's importance. Hope you find it useful Sassy.

If you get the AARP magazine this months issue (dated april/may 2013) , there is a story about the safest hospitals and what safety procedures that are in place that cause them to be safe. The article cites that 180,000 people die a year due to medical/surgical errors AND 400,000 drug errors are made a year. The articles states that these numbers are likely higher b/c these are the ones that are reported. I agree. I know you've seen where I've said on the threads "Sorry etc for too much info, just want too make you(BCO memebers) safer". Guess I should stop apologizing for writing stuff in this regard. These numbers are higher then the last set of numbers that I had known. The problem is either getting worse OR there is better reporting. I'll go with better reporting.

It cited that one of the safety items was having an ICU Intensivist. It cited that only 35% of hospitals had Intensivist. I was dismayed at this percentage since residencies for Critical Care Medicine have been available since the 1980's. Truly thought by now that the "industry" would have been driven by demand for better care that this statistic would be 70 to 80%. ICU medicine is absolutely in need of a specially trained doc. Just as in all subspecialties of the American Medical Association(AMA), the knowledge and skills of this subspecialty are critical to survival when a patient is at this level of need.

My hope is those seeing this will locate a copy of the AARP article. Read it thoroughly. Then question there local hospitals on each item. Based on what they elicit re:safety of each facility, they can choose the safest hospital near them for care. It can mean the difference between life and death, and or avoidable complications. Spreading the word to others regarding this may save lives.

• sas-schatzi

Yoo- hoo any one awake?

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

I'm here Sas.

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706

I'm awake. Glad to find this thread.

• camillegal

Hrf I haven't been here in a while--even thos I'm awake alot once I start on this thing I can't tear myself away. So I

m not usually here now.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,521

Awake here too!

• camillegal

Hahahaha Mods u'r always awake and help me when I screw up the screen so i thabk u for that LOL

• Alyson

Of course we are awake down in this part of the world.

• sas-schatzi

Oh poo, I missed ya;ll

• sas-schatzi

Yoo hoo

• sas-schatzi

okay shall talk to self_______----bummer wish others were here, for merianderhers

• chrissyb

Oi! Sas! You still around?

• Alyson

We will just have to talk to each other.

• chrissyb

Hi Aly, DD s just chatting to her fiancé so I'm amusing myself on the iPad.......lol. We've eaten tea in the room with her tonight.......not strictly to my diet but close enough for now......lol.