Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706

Carolpr56, so sorry about your 2nd dx. Unfortunately, I've also gone through this 2 times but had to have chemo and rads both times. I'm getting a DIEP on Thursday so am anxious about that.

I'm in Toronto. Just had a bowl of fruit and yogurt. Hoping that I'll fall asleep.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439

How long/often will you have the chemo Carol? Is this a recurrence of the original or new mets?

I find I often wake up between 2-4am and worry about things coming up and the things I haven't done.

Last week my youngest (32) son was coming for an overnight visit and I woke up early that morning and worried about a set of windows

I hadn't cleaned!

He wouldn't have noticed in that time frame and, if he had, I would have asked him to clean them for me.

Finally fell asleep until 9am.

Even though it was 18 yrs ago, I remember the anxiety of the night before the first one very well, I hope it goes okay, and does what it's supposed to do.

Sheila.

• carolpr56
    carolpr56 Member Posts: 22

Protein should help! All the best with upcoming surgery... Nitey nite!

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439

I am in the sunshine state of Queensland, sort of the top half of the eastern side of Oz, Carol.

Nice place to live but gets very hot in summer and, if you live near the coast, the humidity is a killer.

Sheila.

• hrf

Hope the chemo goes easily for you.l

• carolpr56

Sheila, it will be 4 rounds of TC total, one every 3 weeks. It's first time chemo for me. Got port in, still sore but hate the constipation from the norco.

My oldest is almost 29. He n his lovely fiancée come today to help clean and organize, yay!

• carolpr56

Thx hrf!

So Sheila you re in winter now! It's very hot here now 100+ most days, but not as humid as the coast - houston n Galveston. We re mid state where I live.

Oh, and I had multifocal DCIS first time. R mx only w reduction to left. Found lump on mx side 2 months ago. IDC this time, triple neg w SNB clear, but grade 3. Scarier!

• hrf

Carol, my first time was TN, IDC ... 3 cm with SN clear....also grade 3. That was found in Oct. 2004..... Almost 9 years ago. Just want you to know that it's possible to do well with that dx.

• carolpr56

Thanks, Hrf! And for your company. Hope you got more sleep.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

To all, we all have discussed chemo/ anethesia brain. We now can call it anesthesia/chemo/drug brain. This article is in AARP magazine. It discusses the drug classifications that can cause memory loss. It describes why each drug class can cause memory loss. It gives specific names of drugs. It gives alternative drugs that can be substituted. I would suggest reviewing it with your prescribing doc if you have concerns regarding any of your meds. I also suggest you put it in your favorite places on your computer. Also, printing it off for future referrence if you have a printer. Please, pass this on to other BCO friends, friends etc. ;) sassy

www.aarp.org/health/brain-heal...

Haven't been here much in alongggggg time, but this artcle is a MUST SHARE type with those I care aboutWink

• carolpr56

Wow - Versed's a benzo??? That explains a lot!

• sas-schatzi

Carol, That's funny the way you say that. Versed's a GREAT benzo. LOL

• carolpr56

I was having colonoscopies as often as I could before I got bc again, lol!!!

• sas-schatzi

8/31/2013-----OMG 2013. I remember being almost ten in the 50's thinking there will come a time I can't climb trees anymore, ride a bike, play ball. That when I got to 30 life would be over because no one I knew ever did those things. Well I was still doing them at 30 and some of them into my 40's. Tree climbing -naw.

But on my bucketlist is the tree top trek at our local zoo @ 63

• sas-schatzi
    Helllllooooooo anyone up?
  • 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

hi SAS! I just found this thread, looks like I need to start reading from the beginning!

• sas-schatzi
    Hi 2nd. I wouldn't suggest reading from the beginning. It's just night owls visiting LOL.
  • sas-schatzi
    It goes in spurts when members have insomnia. It's a nice place to meet the Aussies, Aucklanders, Southlanders b/c it's there daytime.
  • sas-schatzi
    It was funny when I started the thread. There were ALLOT with insomnia. There were 14pges(?) in the first 36 hours.
  • 2nd_time_around

cool! Looks like I can jump right in! Woo-hoo, wish I would have found this almost a year ago now....

Just thinking today I need to find something exciting to do Halloween - during the day: the date of my 2nd mx. I have such bad memories and emotions associated with this time of year I need to do something to make it into happier times.

• sas-schatzi
    Yup our cancerversaries are a mixed emotional bag. Happy that we're here, but wish we weren't here.
  • sas-schatzi
    2nd How about a cruise? They can be really fun.
  • 2nd_time_around

thanks for the idea! Thinking of something much more low key as money (or really, lack of it) is a big problem right now. It's a tough time for me emotionally as well as last year at this time I was preparing for 16 years cancer-free only to be hit with new primary. This only adds to my dislike for October!

• sas-schatzi
    Wow, that was a kick in the gut. !6 years. I think it will happen that way for me. Family hx.
  • sas-schatzi
    I took myself to a French Café the other night 90$. Expensive, but I'd never done that before. It was a nice feeling. Had three waiters. Venison. Expresso, Two types of wine, Crème Brulee. Not in that sequence. Can't get anyone to go there b/c it's so expensive. It was a liberating feeling LOL
  • 2nd_time_around

it was a kick in the ass: no family history of CA, I'm the first. Screw-up first time, did chemo but found out mid-way it wasn't necessary! Increased my chances of non-reoccurrence from 92 to 96%. Great odds, huh? I thought so. Turns out chances of new primary is also small and who would have thought it would all happen in October? Like I read somewhere else, FOCTOBER!

Like the idea about treating myself to a fabulous meal: used to eat solo with no problems (didn't marry till mid-30's). Gonna think about that, thanks SAS!

• sas-schatzi
    2nd DBF Up. Going to have coffee will check in later :) If I wake up in the middle of the night in the future I'll check in with you and here. Serious though in the PM. Sometimes I would just talk away to myself, about silly stuff, when no one was up.
  • sas-schatzi
    Okey dokey. It was fun. I still can taste the food HMMMMMMMMMM
  • 2nd_time_around

night SAS! Heading off to bed, you gave me something to think about. I'm sure I'll be back, just don't know when. Have a super day tomorrow!

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    I just wanted to stop by and say hello to you all. Sleep does come more easily now that I'm finished with Arimidex. I still have times of sleeplessness, but it isn't nearly what I experienced while on medication.

Sweet Dreams.