Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Blessings Norco--had to look it up b/c it's a new drug since I left------Hydrocodone and acetaminophen.

Sister drug to Vicodin and Lorcet.  Meaning they have the same drug in them.

Your combo hits many different receptor sites. My guess is you are taking a low dose of each. That's the beauty of combo drugs. But make sure your doc know's about your combo. The concern might be respiratory depression. But if you are at lowest dose possible for each and have taken for along time, you have developed a tolerance to the combo.

Question someone that can observe your breathing after you have fallen asleep. Normal respiration should be quiet & even, non-restless sleep, without periods of stopping, or grunting, or sucking, indicate the drug combo is good.

2nd----hope you read all the posts re: Hypertension and drugs. There were allot. They appear through out since your question.

GUMBY and all, of course jumping in when I wasn't asked, modus operandi. Hypertension--high blood pressure is nothing to mess with. Many things in diet can be controlled. BUT if Blood pressure isn't controlled, it's time to involve minimum and I believe the best place to start--depends on PCP,  is  your PCP.      Minimum blood work is a B-met or BMP----includes electrolytes and creatinine and BUN. Why---can't assume these basic functions are normal. If there isn't a big charge difference, a C-met aka CMP-----includes all renal functions, electrolytes, liver function.

Ask Pharmacist to run printout of drug interactions for you to take to PCP visit.

The American Heart Association--AHA--- has been pushing the normal values for BP down for 20 years.

Top number systolic---range now per AHA --120 or less. Used to be higher, won't include old values so as not to confuse. The systolic represents the force of contraction of the left heart. The left heart lower chamber is the workhorse of the heart. The higher the number the harder the horse has to work (never used that analogy before--I like it). This contraction is what we feel as the pulse. The horse has a real kick. What the BP machine senses is the wave strength of that kick. Different analogies if taken manually----won't describe unless asked. Trying to keep it simple. Problems created by the systolic being to high-----think of it as out in the distance------head, liver, kidney, extremities------other organs too in the long haul, but it's the head, liver, kidney extremities that'll hurt us initially. Some will poo poo my inclusion of the liver here  and say that only comes later. The liver is a resilient organ. Takes allot of wear and tear before it shows distress. I may grant that poo pooing. BUT in all things protect the liver.

Lower number Diastolic: Range per AHA 60-84. Again older numbers were higher. Don't be surprised that folks would quote the higher numbers. AHA doesn't make it easy. They keep revising normal. Leaving controversial history out. The diastolic number represents the pressure of the left heart at rest. The higher this number is means the horse -the heart- has been working very hard and is getting tired. Very dangerous indicator for this to remain at 90 or above for any sustained time. An Occasional number in this range, look at association of what you have been doing. i.e climbing stairs like Blessings.

Clossing this out b/c screen jumping

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971

For Miss Squishy from sassypants.....

• sas-schatzi

Chevy, your question on page 185------"Would taking Aspirin NOW, maybe prevent this from happening again? " You know my answer is ask your doc. But if the doc can't answer call the drug company. They have resource lines for lay people and for med/nurse professional. Be prepared to get mailings from them for at least a year to fill out forms for adverse event. They are required by law to contact you and do follow up (F/U). Those reports are then required to go to the FDA.

But if you have a cardiologist that prescribes aspirin therapy, or PCP, or ENT. then you're good to go.

Chevy, you got screwed. In the near future genetic testing will be required on anything that a genetic test is available where a drug can have an untoward affect . It was available in your time. Knowledge of it was early and not widely known.. But your hearing loss was in a very small percentage. The problem I have with the very small ,or unknown never recognized event is------it happened. 

Say if you sued over it. Following the law, there are x number of elements to prove negligence. You were right on the border. Plus, no studies directly relating to your specific injury have been done with the use of aspirin therapy.  Let me use a different example, If someone has atrial fibrillation, it is absolutely predictable that they will or is strongly suggested that they  have a stroke without minimum aspirin therapy, and risk may further be reduced with a combination therapy with another anticoagulant.

I'd say find a lawyer if you haven't gone past the Statute of Limitations. Charles Pelkey is licensed to practice in Colorado. He mentioned it in a post long ago.  I have a life long hearing loss. Mine is not as sever,e I don't think as yours. I have been recommended to have aides for at least 45 years. Since there's no guarantee that they will work. I "encourage ' people to talk loud, look at my face, lot's of other stuff. I refuse to by aides, but I do miss allot. I've learned many compensatory solutions.

Hearing loss and tinnitus suck.-------------I hate that insurance and all others(government to lay person) don't recognize it as a disability as other physical problems are. It is the most isolating of all disabilities.. Sightless, easy. Legless, easy. Hearing loss prevents communication. Our species exists,  thrives, and grows on communication. Those that can't hear lose out, unless they can afford to go through countless tries at devises that guarantee nothing. (Chickie sorry don't mean to cause any pain--John's eye injury is a serious worry to you both) I'm ranting. need to stop. Almost. We can develop satelites that can go to the beyond to wherever. Satelites that can see through walls into our bedrooms. BUT we can't make a friggin hearing devise that's dependable.

• sas-schatzi

2nd sounds like a uvula problem, PCP first then get scheduled with an appointment with a ENT doc that specializes in sleep disturbances. Not all are trained in this. Usually your first sent to a pulmonologist for an evaluation for a sleep study. Here we just happen to have a primo ENT doc that gets referrals from way distant areas, after they've been through the pulmonologist.  So, I/we may be spoiled. You may have to go the usual route to get a diagnosis.

I did and didn't get a dx for what you described. It wasn't obstructive sleep apnea and the pulmonolgist lost interest. BUT if I brought it up to my ENT doc, I would get a dx. BUT I know the sx involved CHIT CHIT CHIT(Cami's word for SHIT) Still.............PCP to qualified ENT For recommendations. Mouth shut is a clue. Also, no periods of not breathing big clue. But should be talked about with a professional.

• sas-schatzi

Soteria -------doc should have guided you better after Lovenox not affordable. I don't have an answer as to what, I can surmise, But he/she's the doc......poop on them for not giving you a better plan. Your plan apparently didn't hurt you, but what if it had?

Gumby-Fragmin------------Coumadin/warfarin is a good drug, but there are multiple test now to check for genetic abnormalities to this drug. !/15 hospital admission throughout the USA are related to Coumadin therapy. This is b/c of the genetic abnormalities. Only now  within the last few years are docs and insurance carriers getting the fact that by being to cheap or stupid to test for these abnormalities that they are playing Russian roulette with peoples lives. Well that was a rant wasn't it. 2:15 am------time for some apple pie.

• sas-schatzi

Cami :)

• sas-schatzi

Gosh the further I try to catch the end , the further away it keeps moving

HI Blondie--------------Yay your here :)

DBF's up and want's a kiss -------goodnight  :Loopy

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

In case anyone's counting, I posted three hours ago that I was going to bed. 

I didn't. I stayed up working on a computer project for church. Took me 3 hours. What a dummy!!! Now I'm wide awake!!! 

But off I go to my warm bed, and see what I've missed on Pinterest. That will usually put me to sleep. That, and the chitload of drugs I've taken.... 

Loopy

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Well good Morning my sleepless and sleeping little chipmunks--I was reading last nite then whap I fell asleep now I'm back all confused, but that's perfectly all right it's a very common state for me anyway.

It's Wednesday morning and I was going to say Monday--WTF my mind is not overloaded but I'm in denial cuz Christmas is only 1 week. It doesn't seem Possible. -There is still so much to do in our world of Christmas here and I'm no help=I print the things to do and they cover the walking around, wow am I a supervisor. OK let me get my morning started somehow like charging my phone??? Little things like that.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258

Good Morning to all you gals!  

It's WEDNESDAY morning, you silly!  

Sass, this is the latest article I found, among the zillions I have been through.  http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/279...

I remember 3 years ago, sitting at the ENT's, while they tried to figure out WHY this happened to me so suddenly...   She had this huge book out, looking through Ototoxic drugs.... and Tamoxifen was not listed....  She wanted to believe me, but couldn't find it.

It isn't their fault...  Actually It isn't my Oncologist's fault, nor even the Drug company...  Not even the FDA, and everyone else I sent information to.  It just happened.  But putting all the pieces together, was up to me... and I did it.   I thought of suing someone...  but this wasn't major enough...  No loss of limb, etc..... just lost my mind...Ha!  But it was just recently that another gal on this board contacted me, with the same problem.  That's when I started researching again, on my own, and found the rest of the pieces.    Inherited gene + Tamoxifen + Stroke in the 8th cranial nerve..... =  Deafness .

And SHE had that same chain of events....  and was diagnosed with deafness resulting from this gene, then taking Tamoxifen, then the stroke in that exact location, which is near the auditory nerve, causing hearing loss....  And it is permanent.

That's all....  When I go back after the Holidays, I just have questions about "type" of my hearing aide...  Maybe a different one would work better for me, because I can hear better if I press on the outside of my ear, towards the hearing aid.   So maybe one that fits IN the ear would be better.... who knows?    I can hear, but really have problems with word-recognition, unless I am looking at you...  

But if THAT is the only problem I have, I am darned lucky I say!  Loopy  You guys just have to talk LOUDER to me....Ha!

• Chevyboy

I feel like Dick Tracy!    Or NCIS... maybe even SVU!  I solved the case!  I am woman!

And I'm going to take aspirin....  The Oncologist DID recommend that...  She said just take a baby-aspirin....  but no reason.....  I unknowingly just gave her one! Winking

• crog234
    crog234 Member Posts: 324

Chicka.  Thanks for my prize!!!  Ha ha ha

Cindy AKA Squishy

• phgraham
    phgraham Member Posts: 909

Hi everyone and little Squishy.  I fell asleep at 9 pm last night in my recliner.  I woke up and went to bed and stayed awake until 2 a.m.  That's not a problem but I had to get up and get dressed for a 9 a.m. appointment.  I HATE morning appointments.  This was with an attorney for my brother's estate.  Ugh.

All done now and ready to do some errands, then nap.  My favorite thing, napping.

More cookies to bake for CASA and Project Everlast kidlets this weekend.  If I could just quit sampling the cookies....

My pharmacy and doc finally got  my pain med prescriptions sorted out and I'm starting to feel good again.

I can't remember who wrote about the moving stationary car, but I've done that more than once and I always feel ridiculous when I figure it out.  Glad you were safe!

Sorry for rambling, but it's what I do best.

Phyllopian

• sas-schatzi

Good morning erhh afternoon, Up most of night and ready to go back to bed. Woke up and can't see to well. Cntrl plus several times. Must be my weaker glasses LOL. That happened the other day. SO tired Phooey

2nd don't worry about keeping up. Read what you can. Talk to yourself when you want too. Do whatever makes you happy.

Hi Phylligladyouarehere:)

Chevy, sorry that happened, but glad your taking baby aspirin. Odd your doc would tell you to take a drug and not know why. Have you been taking it long?

Cami, me too the days get more confusing, back for a nap

L&H&P's sheila

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Goldie, Try oil. It will take off a lot of adhesives.

• camillegal

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Too cute, Cami...I needed a smile, thanks

Golf girl

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248

Hey! Nice to see some of my old buddies here--Sas-schatzi, Camillegal, and Chevyboy.  It's also nice to meet new friends here 2nd-tim-ar and the rest of you folks.   Love, Love the middle of the night/morning when everyone else is asleep. I guess that is what happens to insomnias.  You realize there is a mystical, magical world when everyone else is asleep.  You ever look outside late at night when it is snowing hard and there is no one on the streets.  It is magical.    Now of course, like the rest of you folks, I suffer the next day--groggy at work, can't get up until after 10AM on days off--oh well something has to give.  Went back to work on Monday post three weeks  PI surgery--came home exhausted that day at 4PM--slept through all phone calls, etc.  work up at 6PM and couldn't go back to sleep until 4AM in the morning.  Not to good when you have to get up at 5:30 AM for work and it is just the second day back.  Well I made it through because today it is Wednesday night and I only have 2 more days before my 2 week Christmas break!   :)  Have a great night all!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

hey Dwill

Sounds like you work for a school. I did too. Isn't winter break great?  But that old Bing Crosby song line " and mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again" grrrrrr, I hated it. I could wait forever. Needed the $$$$, not the kids. LOL

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248

LOL!!  spookiesmom,  yeah I am a teacher of teenagers--love those guys but can't wait until the winter break!  the more active and let's say--adventurous they are--the less they are absent. They are at school --everyday--their parent's make sure of it.   I know their parent's can't wait to send them to school and I can't wait to get the breaks from them.  Love my job, though!!!

• sas-schatzi

Time to go to bed after the nap. I have sleeping sickness I think.

Happy to see you all here, keep things moving while I dael with this sleep thing. Not getting a thing done.

I get to meet Badger on Friday in Melbourne. YAY

• Chevyboy

Sass!  Go watch the Turtles nesting on Melbourne beach!  I did that one magical night with my Daughter.

Don't know if this is the time of year, but I'll always remember that...  Also some fun little Burrito place...???  I forget the silly name.... something like Banana's Burritos?  Or something....

Cammi!  BeHAVE!  Ha, ha!  Come with me to check on "the girls" tomorrow?  I'm bringing them some treats...   We're going to dog-sit "Cosmo"  ...... Our dear friends dog-face....  Just for tonight, and tomorrow...  He had better behave, and not try and tackle and maime DH again....  He has issues, when someone un-expectedly gets near "his space"......   And since he hasn't been here in awhile, we have to figure out where "his space" will be.... Not to include the whole house!  Lacee just gives him a LOT of room.... 

• camillegal

Chevy why don't u open a animal thingy and take them in and get paid LOL u have more animals than kids and they all count on u.I would let them choose wherever they want and leave it at that, even if it is the whole house. They'll give u the kitchen so u can make their food.

I'm trying to wake up here, hard time doing this. Leslie just got up with a funny goofy throat--OMG she can't get sick--she has the most to do and work too. I like the way a kids gets sick for 24 hrs and feels fine and spreads a week long thing around the house--Brats all of them

Dwill I'm so glad u'll be off the next 2 weeks--please catch up on rest and healing.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Chevy

Are you coming to Orlando? Would love to meet you, Sas could come too IF she could stay awake. 

• sas-schatzi

I am up then down , if the up and down accomplished something, or lead to something, then it would be okay or fun, but.....................................

• camillegal

Hi gals---I hope everyone is doing decent today--I always say decent.

I've got to got to make cookies with Joey today, tonite, I've been saying it for days and when the time comes-I'm useless--so push I must--he takes it to well, I wish he's throw a tantrum then I could say tht's it , it's not going to happen, instead he says I understand don't worry--he's such a brat getting to me like that. So this is that 3 ingredient cookie--we'll see if it's worth making more to give out to the neighbors. We're making Lemon flavored??? Never made these before soooooo--I hope I can do it. I'm so lazy.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,529

I just may do this......I think it is about time I had a really big blow-out.  I actually bought some decorated sugar cookies and  sniff' sniff, sniff.....they are going fast, and I'm sniffing about it because I'm the one making them disappear.  I was hoping I could learn some restraint.....but that is going to take a few more years apparently.  I hope you are all having a wonderful day.

Lilli

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Lilli, I hear you on that one! Restraint around the holidays? Let me know how when you figure that out!

• sas-schatzi

HMMM I ate a pint of Blue Bell ice cream between naps yesterday, might consider restraint since it WAS a gallon, but that's all that was left. Can't blame that one on thyroid. phooey, but it was great!

Cami, Jackie, Spookie all enjoy your treats

Dwilli, praying for you to get through the week Winking

Chevy, Stopped at a thrift shop, got a piece of silver (sheffield siver on copper) then rubbed to hard in one spot  ohehoheohepoo. 2 inconsequential pieces and one nice butter dish w/o lid, but I don't recognize the pattern. The chase is on.. that's the best part of thrifting is to find the origin of the piece.  Just gave four loads a way. AHah  there is a method to the madness.

2nd hey buddy, doin' okay?