Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Maddy, I did google it, still not 100% sure, but I am thinking maybe 1966...I lived in West Covina then..

• grammaB
    grammaB Member Posts: 1,118

From our friend Mr Google, the 1968 quake was in SoCA, San Diego County.  I lived in NoCA, SF Bay Area, so didn't feel it and don't remember it.  The Loma Prieta quake in '89 is the one I mentioned earlier. Scary stuff.  It was a miracle more people weren't killed in that one, especially as the freeway heading to SF collapsed upon itself and a section of the Bay Bridge collapsed.  It was the night of game 3 of the World Series Oakland A's against SF Giants.  A major rivalry.  The quake was at 5:05 PM, the game was to start at 5:35 PM.  It was said because of that people had left work early to go to the game or stayed late at work to party & watch with friends.  Had it been a "normal" day those roads would have been bumper to bumper traffic at that time of day.  God only knows how many people would have lost their lives.  It certainly was the worst earthquake I lived through.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

GG, if it was 1968, was it Ocotillo Wells (desert near Salton Sea?). I lived in Santa Ana then

Gramma, Loma Prieta was scary! I remember now about the baseball game and it's timing in relationship to earthquake. Very scary. 

• grammaB

Yes, according to Mr Google it was Ocitillo Wells.  It was called the Borrego Mountain Earthquake.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Hi ladies, i went to bed around 10:30 woke up at 1am its now 3:15am and cant sleep. I wonder when does the insomnia ends. I am so tired of all the SE this disease brings. I am still taking pain killers every 6 hours now. I feel as if the year did not end. I was hoping to feel different and i guess nothing really changed. 

• Pawprint
    Pawprint Member Posts: 354

Ok, so all this earthquake talk is kinda freaking me out since here in California we are told we are overdue for the big quake. Now I will have to make sure I have my emergency supplies all in order at home, work, and in my car. I haven't updated supplies in awhile. Another thing on my January to do list. :/

• grammaB

Pawprint, yes it is a good idea to have a basic emergency/earthquake kit set and ready to go (water/food/flashlight/radio/etc).  Also have all your important documents in one place easy to grab too.  Besides living in earthquake country, later I lived in the forest in the Sierras and every summer had forest fires to deal with.  I can't tell you how many times I grabbed the important stuff and left it in the car for a couple of weeks. Like a turtle in its shell I drove around with everything that was important to me in my car. 

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853

OH Mostlymom - now the bird thing is truly funny.  Thanks for making me laugh when my troubles R keeping me up!

Flowers

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853

So, anybody else out there?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258

Yes!  I'm here...!  Ha, ha!  GRAMMA B......  My folks lived in the Bay Area, and I remember we were watching that Baseball Game, and the lights went out!  Mom called, and was so scared, she could hardly talk...   When I visited, they took me on that elevated highway, that they were working on.  It was just..... STOPPED....  I mean you had to get off, because there was no more road!  And the SFOBB top part fell down on the lower bridge!  I remember seeing pictures of those cars perched on the end of that bridge...

MostlyMom...  That picture just nails it! 

• Chevyboy

Gramma, the Owls I was talking about have long gone, but it was mesmerizing....  I've been watching the Washington DC Panda Cam, watching this little "girl" growing up, and her Mom, dragging her around the place...  teaching her how to walk, and MOVE more...  There are 2 cameras, you can click on...  But those Panda's are the sweetest things...

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/webcams/giant-panda.cfm

Wouldn't it be funny if I hooked up a Chicken-Cam so Cammi could watch them to her hearts delight? 

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Good Morning---

Enerva it does take a while, these SE's cn really be brutal, I think that why there are so many here cuz we understand it's not a disease that comes and an operation later it leaves.

Well, Well well-- we meet again Chevy at an ungodly hr. as usual.---Go ahead hook up a chicken cam and see how many  people really want to watch all kinds of things coming out of a chickens ass. we'll see how really popular that is.

Oh I think everyone remembers the 89 quake cuz of the world series, it just completely went off the air on TV.

• Chevyboy

Come ON Enerva!  Can't let nothin' get our Biker Girl down!     Is it too cold to go out and polish that bike? 

Can you call one of your Doc's and TELL him how you feel?  Give me that number..... I'LL call.... dangit!   It's just too much to expect those of you gals in pain, to put up with it!   

Sassy, can you talk to her?   We need to make a house call.

• Chevyboy

oooooooh ...... the cam is up!  And she is fit to be tied.  Did you hear what she SAID?  Like she KNOWS what those chickens are doing!

• Chevyboy

And another thing!  Miss smarty pants!  What do you MEAN, me up?  YOU are up too!  Or didn't you notice.

• Chevyboy

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/gallery?section=null&id=7056386&photo=2

I found some pictures of that 1989 Earth Quake..

.I remember going to see my Dad, after Mom passed away, in about 1998???  And one morning it sounded like a TRAIN coming through the house!  Man, I yelled, and ran down to my Dad's bedroom and flew into bed with him!   He barely opened his eyes, and said  "It's okay honey, it's only an Earth Quake!".... I was just shaking! 

No big deal to THOSE guys.... they're just used to it.

• camillegal

Well I'm not always up, now-- u r--And we have loads of snow and cold--WAAAAAAA It better be all gone tomorrow. I have to go out---This is such stay in weather OK I just read the last few words that I wrote, I have no idea what that means, whatever I don't think I finish my thoughts. See I'm tired already, going back to sleep.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Enerva, I hope you pain/soreness is controlled with good meds..it sounds so uncomfortable....no experience with it...geez, looking at your bio, you were dx a year before me. I am ready to be done, I bet you have had enough. Hoping for a speedy healing process..

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

My BIL lived in San Mateo and worked for CalTrans during the Loma Prieta quake. He had the sense to change his phone recorder to say he was safe and out inspecting bridges. Took days to get thru. I remember the newscasters in the dark studio illuminated by hand held lights. There would be an aftershock and they would both grab the table and look really scared. I still have the willies about the collapsed freeway. We have one here just like it, same age, same construction. I will not drive on the lower deck.

• Chevyboy

People are so excited here, and that's all that's in the papers!   I'm just wondering how getting high on weed, will affect the people that get drunk  or are taking Meth at the same time?    I know they have probably done that anyway, but  now with it so easy to get, I wonder if there will be more "accidental" overdoses.  

It just can't be an "accident" when they know what they are doing.....  Life is just so precious..... So many women AND men are fighting for their lives, and these people seem hell-bent on living like there is no tomorrow! 

I think I can hear my Grandmother saying to me.... "The world is going to hell in a hand-basket."  Winking

Okay.... I'll get off my soap-box.... 

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

for Chevy and SAS (hope I got that right)

• camillegal

I'm back----OK now about Pot--I think those that do it have been doing it for a long time anyway and normaly the real pot smokers don't do much else except pot so they will be all right. Those on hard drugs are just so different pot doesn't do it for them so they will continue, unless they get help. But I do hate to see people get in legal trouble over pot, that never seemed fair to me, but there might be less people on the streets selling it and more money for the government to spend as they want. They should give it to all the unemployed pot dealers. Or they can pay them to grow it someone has to be really busy with that now. ooohh good idea--Chevy u do well with gardening, put in u'r resume and u'll have a job from home--they'll supply the lightening. Sounds like I know a thing or two. There's a funny British move, where an elderly widow needs money and decides she'll grow pot--It's hysterical--Of course I can't think of the name, but I think it was Maggie Smith so it's possible.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Oh gosh Smaarty just what I need another page of smart stuff for my Word files. Housework and packing up that Christmas tree may just have to wait. Just kidding of course. Thank you. DD was looking thru my Word files for something (yes something I wanted her to find) and said what are all these pictures/files. I said those are my pics/gifs stuff I have saved. Don't mess with them unless you can give me a better way to save them. Lol.

This is one of my favorite songs and what DD was searching for - the file to make it a ringtone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7pg-AOlA4

Today Is Mine by Glen Campbell. There is also a version where he is walking the land where Disney World was soon to be built.

Cami - I don't know that movie, will have to look for it.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

When I have nice music for a ringtone, it doesn't trigger me to answer the phone. I just think what pretty music, wonder where it's coming from. Now I have crickets, but crows can do a pretty good imitation and we have a lot of crows.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

my ringtone is Stronger by Kelly clarkson. Used to be bagpipes. 

Luvmygoats-glad you like.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

During the Loma Prieta earthquake, I was in the Central Valley of California, and my dad was in the Bay Area. I had talked to him the night before, and he said he had a meeting in Oakland the following afternoon. I was sitting in my rocking chair watching the news, when all of a sudden, the rocker took off rocking like it was possessed. I immediately called my dad, and of course, couldn't get through. Then I saw the images of the freeway that had collapsed, and I knew he was on it. 

My heart was in my throat until I finally reached him that night. He'd gone up to Oakland earlier in the day, and was back in his office when the earthquake hit... just missed being killed or injured! That was a very sad time for the entire Bay Area. Seems like everyone knew someone who died or was injured.

When the Northridge earthquake hit, I was listening to the radio, and didn't think too much of it, until I saw the images on TV. The gas station at the end of my girlfriend's block was in flames, and I knew it wasn't good. Fortunately, her husband had set up a telephone tree, and got one message out that they were all o.k. I found out that night when a relative called me.

My girlfriend said that when it hit, it sounded like a jet engine had crashed. The dressers toppled over onto their bed, missing them both. Their toddler son, who wasn't feeling well, had been sleeping in between them. Good thing, as the walls had collapsed in the hallway to his bedroom and they wouldn't have been able to get to him.

They got out, taking as many blankets as they could, and putting their son in the car to sleep and keep warm. She said the entire sky was red with flames and smoke, and all the neighbors huddled together as if a war had started.

Eventually, their house would be condemned, along with most of the others on her block. Because apartments were also affected, there were no rentals, so they lived in an RV in their driveway the entire time their house was being rebuilt. Must not have been too bad; 9 months later their daughter was born!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Mostlymom.  Love it!!

Smarty what tune did you have for the pipes?  DD is a piper

• Chevyboy

Blessings.... that was an intense story.....  My Mom was crying, when she called the next day.....  She had heard about all the fires in San Francisco..... she had retired from working on the SFOB Bridge, and told me it took just forever for people to get back "home" again.....    When we drove across that other bridge that collapsed, things were being rebuilt and repaired....  I mean there were still sections that were  gone, but rebuilt again. 

I love that song too, Littlegoats!  I also loved Whitney..... anything by Whitney.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU

And this crazy one! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z727wXHEJMg

• Chevyboy

Smaarty.... This ones for you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euWfTiYwRB0

My Mom and Dad's favorite song that I remember them singing together in Church!