Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

about the stealing of your credit cards - remember they can only steal it remotely if it's a card that doesn't have to actually touch the reader - a card with an imbedded chip.  The old fashioned kind have to be stolen in the old fashioned ways.  Those of you, though, who get drivers licenses with an imbedded chip (I'm getting mine in a couple of weeks) - you need to be SURE to use the little sleeves they give you, as you can get your identity stolen remotely if you are not careful.  (an alternative solution which is what I'm doing is get an Altoids tin and store everything that's remotely readable in that.

• grammaB
    grammaB Member Posts: 1,118

Chevy, they are so cute.  Do they lay eggs in the cold weather?  

Smaarty, gorgeous is all I can say!! And beautiful!!! You are very talented.

((((2nd_time)))) you didn't do anything it was the screamer who was out of line.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Ohhhhh....my little Owlettes.... the New Year has made y'all so chatty!!!!

No way to catch up, so will just send out huge hugs to all, and wishes for all of us that 2014 brings stress-free days and pain-free days, and days worthy of gratitude for us all.

My first piece of paper into the 2014 "Good Things" jar will be the fact that 1) Walmart was open today, and 2) DH finally found the last can of black-eyed peas and a head of cabbage there, so we may be healthy and prosperous in the New Year. (One of Mom's southern traditions...)  I was freaking out yesterday when I realized I'd forgotten to get either item. 

Ooops, DH is back from Wally World, now he's back in the living room taking down the tree. Better go help.

xoxoxoxoxo to all!!!!

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258

Yes Smaarty!  Beautiful!  I just Crochet, and crochet, and crochet....  and sew...   Did you design that yourself?  And Tack strips on the background?   It doesn't look "flat"... It looks like  it is in 3D! 

Maddy.... Sometimes, it's hard.... for whatever reason....  but it helps to be married 150 years...Winking  It will be 56 years coming September....  There was a time, when we almost didn't make it..... I was 64!   I think because of that, that time apart,  brought us closer together.....  Like hitting rock-bottom, then trying to drag yourself up out of that hole  and stay together again.  

I hope your  DD is okay....  growing up, and finding a lasting relationship isn't easy....  Too many distractions now....  It USED to be just the 2 of you....  And get married before you live together, or buy a home....  Not so much anymore.    I'm glad we found each other in the 50's.... things were a lot simpler then.... no money, but we made it somehow...  together.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Smaarty u have such talent, that is so patience controlled--wow

Maddy no one should yell at you ever, I'm sorry that happened.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

thanks Chevy, it was a two day workshop. It's made to look 3-D, after the flowers are made, you get them wet in hot water, then let them dry, makes them fluffy!

Thanks wren, I'll look for the other thread.

• Chevyboy

Did you gals ever make one of these?  It is pictures of my friends, my Daughters, and both of our families, and our pets.... I printed the pictures on that transfer paper that you can iron on .....  then I  ironed them on white material blocks, and sewed them all together on the light blue blocks ... then quilted it  I made my Grand-sons each one.... with their baby pictures on there also.... and  with all of us...   (Not with ruffles) Loopy but with the Satin binding.   But they don't use them too often in Orlando...Ha! 

• camillegal

Oh yes Chevy I made 40 of them last year. OMG all the work to even make one--it's beautiful, but in reality No I never made anything, but my babies many many years ago. And that doesn't take talent, that's timing.

• Chevyboy

Did any of you gals ever watch the live-cam of the Owl Nest of Molly & McGee?  We watched the eggs hatch, and then watch as they grew up, and both Parents would bring them food, then we watched them until they grew up and flew away.... It was soooooooo interesting!  This was a couple years ago....  The barn-owls in San Diego.

• Smaarty

I've made something similar, 7 of them for my sister and grandkids when my dad died. He always worn plaid shirts, so I cut them up and made blocks, then added pictures of him with the kids, depending on where the quilt went. Still have the fabric, need to make one for myself.

• Chevyboy

Who says men don't remember? Of course we do.

A couple were Christmas shopping. The shopping center was packed , and as the wife walked through one of the malls she was surprised when she looked around to find that her husband was nowhere to be seen. 

She was quite upset because they had a lot to do and hence, she became so worried that she called him on her mobile phone to ask him where he was. 

In a quiet voice he said, "Do you remember the jewelers we went into about five years ago where you fell in love with that diamond necklace that we couldn't afford, and I told you that I would get it for you one day?”

The wife choked up and started to cry and said, "Yes, I do remember that shop.” 

He replied, "Well, I'm in the pub next door."

• camillegal

hahahahaha----and we all think they don't pay attention,

Smaarty what a wonderful gift to give, that is so sweet for the memory of u'r dad.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Chevy that is amazing lol I love all kind of animals, and i once watched a baby owl that came inside our home in error, managed to get him and released it. I wish i live back home or somewhere where i could be more exposed to nature. Thanks for sharing that picture. 

• grammaB
    grammaB Member Posts: 1,118

Wow Chevy, gorgeous quilt!  I've never taken on that kind of project.  I used to cross stitch birth announcements for our friends when I was much youger.  My thumbs don't work so well these days, so can't really do it any more. 

I have an app on my iPad called iSpy that hooks you up to all sorts of live cams all around the world.  I haven't looked at it in ages, I'll have to see if the owls are on it.  For a long time I watched a stork cam in Germany, but it doesn't look like it is live any more.

edit to add:  I forgot to mention on that app, you can actually control some of the cameras and get a good view of the whole area.

• Smaarty

it's call I spy cameras, and it's .99

I'm having a problem ordering it, my iPad doesn't like to get things.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Phoebe Hummingbird from CA is a good one too. Oh I see they hatched another clutch of eggs. This is a backyard in CA. Turn the sound up.

http://phoebeallens.com/

• luvmygoats

They are great fun when they fledge from the nest. I saw one live in the spring. Sat glued to my screen and suddenly bird too off straight up.

http://naturedocumentaries.org/493/hummingbird-cam-phoebe-allens-nesting-california/

• luvmygoats

Can't get a live link on an edit. Sorry.

http://naturedocumentaries.org/493/hummingbird-cam...

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871

Happy New Year! . May 2014 be more ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp  than ThumbsDown

• Pawprint
    Pawprint Member Posts: 354

Luvmygoats, beautiful video of hummingbirds. That's amazing how they put the orphan hummingbird in another nest and the other mother fed it. Thanks for sharing ths. 

• Pawprint

Beautiful Quilt Chevy. 

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871

My new years eve was spent in the hospital, getting my niplets and lipo for my fat transfer to my divots & dented foob....came home around 6 went bed.....I think around 8:30 hubby brought me some chicken noodle soup in bed on bed tray table......we have 2 adjustable  twin xl beds that are pushed together to make a KING.....so I can sleep/eat sitting up and hubby sleeps flat.

hugs 

Di

• luvmygoats

Pawprint - do try the livestreaming. It appears to be offline now but showing still shots of previous nestings. It says it is lighted so I will tune in later to see if it is. I've not seen the camera so close in. Beautiful.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

• Pawprint

Hi Di, I hope you are resting up today since you went through a lot yesterday.

Thank luvmygoats, I will look at livestreaming. Happy New Year back at you Jazzy.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,576

Too far behind AGAIN....my song always.  Well, hmmm, I was in the Northridge quake.  Funny, I was not really afraid.  We had a double-wide mobile home, a new one, and something made me feel that we needed earthquake struts.....something we hadn't ever had.  We sold a Volkswagen we were not using and about 9 days after the struts were on here came the quake.   It lasted a really long time, that one. 

I really don't want to sound like it wasn't a big deal, but I was in enough of them  that I just sort of took them as they came but Northridge did surprise me a bit.  Major damages around us but we were not too bad. 

Pot should be legal.  Always felt that way though I wouldn't smoke it. 

Lilli

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

There are petitions going around here to get pot on the Nov ballot. I did sign one. I think it should be legal. I never tried it, even when I was so sick from chemo. I'm a bit afraid of it, I'm on so many meds now. There will be BIG $$$$ backing it if it does get on and pass in Nov

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Smaarty, love your quilt, the deep green & striped fabric gives it a tropical look

Chevy, wow, your quilt is really cool, looks very personal & full of family memories...

Any of you Calif. Gals remember ( I should google this ) a big rolling earthquake, say 1968 ? We had a pool in the back yard, water sloshing over the sides, I will never forget looking out the kitchen window watching that huge concrete pool rocking & rolling...I was young, scared out of my mind

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942

Wasn't there a major quake in the San Fran/Oakland area in 1989? Maybe that one was already mentioned here.

Paula

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

GG, don't remember, will have to google it. That was my first year in Cali, I was just a baby. Lol!

Paula, are you thinking of Loma Prieta, when the freeway buckled?

For those signing petitions, please be aware: I have signed only a couple of them. Imagine my surprise when my political party affiliation was suddenly changed without my knowledge! Went to voter registration office to correct, they said while it's illegal it does happen.