Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Just popped in to say hi. All owls present and accounted for Sas - are you seeing or not seeing things? Maybe you were smoking something!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Aly, cute owl :). Today  thought I'd put in the babies from now 2 pages ago and the kissing owls. One unknown stroke on the keyboard and all the owls were GONE. CHIT. Had to find them with a little help from my friends---Littlegoats in particular and support from others :). Whew I was dizzy. Then resizing them is so tricky. Your a great pic poster. You know sometimes they get strange and finicky.

How 's the downunder? News?

• Alyson

Checking my owl images and found this. He must have a migraine or will shortly.

Chrissy is having problems with heat and we are wishing for a summer. Its not cold but just overcast so here it gets very humid. Have been very bust watching the tennis from Australia.

• Alyson

That owl is crazy I will remove it a bit later.

• sas-schatzi

Smarty-----How to get out of bed WHOA NELLY------forgot that one. At the last hospital I was at there was a "Womens Center". They never came to our surgical floor. All previous jobs also no contact with a BMX patient. The first time I went to get up, none of the usual stuff worked. DH put his hand behind my head at base of head and neck. I had to come straight up. Did that compare to anyone else's experience?

Pillows and positioning---OH my too numerous to count.

Wiping butt----DH and Bidet. Both were wonderful. I used to suggest a spray bottle, and just getting in the shower for a hose off. Terrible. BUT the bidet was wonderful.  This is going to sound dreadful--When DH wasn't available, I'd use the bidet then drip all the way to the bed, I put the bath towel on the bed and then I would wiggle till I was dry. OMG the things we tell each other.

Smarrty, bring the link to the page here. Do you need instructions how to do it. Theresa60 taught me. Bless her.

• sas-schatzi

Aly she looks like Penny on Big Bang Theory

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Sassy - I read briefly thru the rectal issues page you posted. Had not seen it b4. Great suggestions for hemorrhoids. I'll have to bookmark some of them. If I'm diligent with my diet I don't have issues but a day or two of less fiber watch out.

I still don't know where the wiping suggestions are. Not on the above page.

Yes, how to get out of bed. Link yes, yes.

Who's on board for mammo at 8:15 in the morning?

• sas-schatzi

Going to call Maddy and see how she's doing

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Don't sleep in bed, sleep in recliner even in hospital viola getting up is so much easier.

OK Pocket a 8"15===luv==no owls in the pockets.

• sas-schatzi

For anyone wanting to post a link, this is how I as taught.

1. point cursor at web address line, click on it, it will turn blue

2.hit clrl-c

3.take to area you want to post link, usually works best if you have it on it's own line

4. hit clrl-v, leave it on it's own line. Have found out recently it will work if on the same line as something else.

5. then submit when ready. I then test the link to make sure it works by clicking on it.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

I'll start tomorrow , too tired tonight. Is there a way sort the ideas into categories or something.

Getting out of bed: I knew I couldn't raise myself up using my arms as usually, but DD is an LVN so she suggested a towel or sheet behind me that someone could pull on to leverage myself up. Only had to do that a couple of times.

Yes, a recliner works best.

• sas-schatzi

Smarrty, there are suggestions all over BCO. The towel behind you is similar to what I had DH do. It was quite a shock, b/c I had considered I knew all the problems with post surgical patient moving----then the AH-Hah moment Chit ---the women were segregated in a separate unit, I had never worked with them. I can link a thread on postop eval of wounds . Sure though the stuff you are asking isn't there.

Positioning for me was the worst,................ if you can think of it try it.......if it makes you comfortable your good for a wee bit, then you'll want to change. Lots of pillows and someone willing to help is the best. ........By yourself, you'll need to get creative. Cami's suggestion re:recliner is a big use item across the boards------for many months.>>>>years, but total varying reasons. Sx's, neuropathy, pain from AI's/tamox. Ewhhhhh just what you need too hear.

Littlegoats was the hemorrhoid stuff from my constipation thread or Jill's rectal ssues thread?

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Ok, so I finally took a shower and stood in the steam for a while, no effect. Also, no fever, called PCP and left message, then fell asleep (the best thing for me when I hurt like this). She called back about 6:30, this is nothing new for me, but as she said "with my history" she wants to see me in the office.  Glad she's being conscientious (she's had BC too and has suggesting recon for years) but I don't feel comfortable driving the 24 miles in traffic. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. 

SAS, thanks for checking on me. Sent you PM

Edited to add: looking at missed posts. Sassy, the instructions don't work for iPad. Need to check on the Mac

• sas-schatzi

Smarrty, sorry--light bulb just went on those are the things you are having difficulty with, I'll go find answers. you sleep as best you can . If I can't find answers, I'll try to remember.

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Has anyone else slept and entire day away? I somehow wnet to bed at 7 PM yesterday, awoke at 6AM and fell back to sleep until 5:45 PM!!!!!!!! I did not hear my alarm go off, it was rolled up in my covers. My poor dogs pooped on the family room rug, cats hate me and SIL had to pick up DGD from preschool!!!!! How did I sleep so long. I did feel ill, cold sweat and feverish when I woke at 6AM and took 2 Ibuprofen. I am perplexed by this because my DH is out of town so my failsafe is not with me.

Glad the OWLS are back for you Shiela

So now I have to go to page 249 to see what's up! 

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Sassy - It was from the rectal issues thread. Soothing stuff.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Gingerbrew, 

I do not believe I have ever done that, wish I could during chemo. I struggle to sleep at night, a nap is resting, trying to shut my eyes for 20 minutes. They say when that happens, your body needed it.

Maddy,

Hope you are feeling better. Scary to hurt like that out of the blue! Keep us posted...

Teka, 

Freaky owl Scared

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

I don't think I've ever slept that long, but I've been know to sleep from 2 to 6, eat dinner, and go back to bed and sleep till morning. When it happens I can feel the front part of my brain getting foggy.

• camillegal

Ginger for the last couple of weeks I've been sleeping more than usual--and a couple of days I woke up to pee and went back to sleep--woke up to pee and take my meds--went back to sleep and just slept thru the day, when I woke up at nite I thought great I'll be up all nite, but I fell asleep early and slept all nite My DD wanted to take me to ER cuz she thought OMG this is insane, now I'm on an aunti-bee so the sleep is much less but I'm still sleeping a lot more than I have in years. It's strange cuz right after I wake up I'm ready for a nap--of course I get nothing done, but that's all right. So maybe u'r body really needed it to fight some infection or u have the infection and it fought it.??? If I'm making sense good, if not well that the usual.

And why is everyone going back to pages we already read--wtf we're trying to move forward not backward.

• camillegal

Teka I put one picture of an owl up and it was uuugggly. WTF LOL

• Alyson

Think mine with the turning head is much worse Cami - I can't look at it!!!! LOL

• Holeinone

Alyson, I agree, yours was freakier! I can't believe all the upsets today, & the last few days at the Open. The ladies semis will be exciting...my DH loves Ling Na, I was so impressed with Radwanksa today.

• camillegal

imageOK Better?

• Alyson

It was great wasn't it. Nadal is playing at present.

• sas-schatzi

Smarty, this is a post op thread I worked on years ago. But it was more wound care stuff than anything. Put it in your favs for review when you are rested

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=44&id=754935&page=1

working

• Holeinone

I have it on, the men's matches go on forever. I like watching ladies singles & doubles. Also the men's doubles. They had Davis Cup here ( 2 hours away ) in April. Serbia vs USA. It was so exciting, got to watch Dokovjic, live. The Serbian team was amazing. 

• sas-schatzi

Ginger---

1.what's your sleep schedule for the last minimum 6-10 days? Could be the body and mind is taking back what it needs. Supported by evidence based research.

2. drugs taken last 24-36 hours---change in drug, dose, frequency, time

3. Combo of above

• Holeinone

night TekaThumbsUp

• camillegal

Nite Teka and yes that was the purpose LOL of my owls

• sas-schatzi

Smarrty easier to cut and paste and work on one question at a time.. Am I confused, Likely, were you questioning or discussing. Well anyways, these are some thoughts sassy

TE size determines implant size--make sure you understand this and are on the same page with your PS;---I think you were answering H-I-1-----tell me what you're need is here?

- How to get out of bed;: I gave you my suggestion--hand base of head and supporting neck, press head against hand and come straight up: after a few days log roll>>>bend knees>>turn body as single unit to right or left>>put foot over edge of bed to use as lever>>push up from bed with down bedside elbow, use opposite hand to push off bed. If you have help have them put hand under neck and raise straight up to the side, using foot over side of bed as a lever.

- Taking pain medication does not make you weak--everyone reacts differently to different pain medications--if you are still in pain on medication, you need to have the medication adjusted/changed; Read my post in this link on pain scale and drugs appropriate to pain level

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=8&id=770655&page=1

- Pillows to buy; Pillows to support the arms >have varying softness to firm----what makes you comfortable will frequently change. Cushions from couches are useful too, they tend to be more supportive;

- How to wipe yourself after toileting; Wiping butt----DH and Bidet. Both were wonderful. I used to suggest a spray bottle, and just getting in the shower for a hose off. Terrible. BUT the bidet was wonderful. This is going to sound dreadful--When DH wasn't available, I'd use the bidet(use spray bottle/shower) then drip all the way to the bed, I put the bath towel on the bed and then I would wiggle till I was dry. OMG the things we tell each other.

- Best clothing choices;

- Bras that fit TE's; check in with Val61, she started this thread---------has oodles of experience. very very knowledgeable. She's to bras , as whippettmom is to foobs.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/753120?page=163#post_3868332

- Sleeping positions/locations; Keep changing till you find something that works, but many find a recliner works very nice the first week........... I found either back lying or side lying, I had to support my arms---back--both arms up on pillows, side lying--support the upper arm. Put pillow between legs to take stress off hip and lumbar when side lying.

- Physical therapy works wonders.: Postop limitation of range of motion has been down since the late 1890's---couldn't really find any evidence based research to support this rule when I had mine. I was doing full range of motion at 6am the next morning. Not suggesting you do it, but challenging your doc for the fact--evidence that says not too, is important. Too many are left with shoulder troubles b/c of the limited range of motion post-op. Even shoulder surgery is doing earlier rom exercises. The only reference long ago that I could find suggested that reduced ROM helped to prevent Seromas. Suggested only>>not proven.

-How to cope with drains: Not sure the question here 1. check skin twice a day for any changes around drain insertion site, 2, measure drainage per postop instructions and write on log. 3. squezze bulb when closing stopper. Important. OR follow post op instructions b/c you may have a different product than I'm aware of. Wear shirt or sweater that has pockets that you can put drains into. Nothing more creative coming to mind.. Maybe I used a tube top to hold them around my belly below the drain sites. Yes, you will be much more comfortable when the drains come out.

I'm sure there would be a ton more.