Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Hugs to all who need them…

Loving all the pics!

Hope we all have this kind of day today, even without the snow!

http://www.wimp.com/doggydaycare/

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Good late morning, or early afternoon INSOMNIACS friends..

Home from LAST radiation treatment...uh...it's good, but unsettling...a new normal ? 

2ndtimeMaddy, thinking if you, as you help your parents at this stage of there lives. Not easy. My DH & I did not have to go through this. My FIL was the only one that did not go instantly, and we did alot for him in the last 3 years but he was able to stay in his home, by himself, he was literally the sweetest man in the world.

We are getting the snow we have wanted/needed for months. Beautiful, I love to shovel but not going to. I think that would be "stupid" considering my skin, radiated area. Need to be smart about something.

Blessings, I enjoyed the doggie video..

Smaarty, thinking of you, ..also Tang, NJmom, mdngtDeb....hope all is hanging in there...

Golfgirl

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

hole-does this mean you're done with treatments? If so, a BIG YEAH for you.  Keeping fingers crossed.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

image Hole last rad YYYAAAYYY

• Holeinone

Smaarty, 

YES ! I will start Arimidex next Tuesday, & I have a ultra sound in 2 months for a node that looks inflamed, it was a stowaway, should of came out with the rest of those little bastards. 

My stage 3 status is frightening, but I sure know that there are so many young women that has a much worst dx. So, I need to get on with my life..sounds easy, but it's going to take time.

So excited to watch the Olympics, fits into my "I need to heal" mode & the fatigue that rads has caused, & I swear my body is still weary from that horrific chemo...ok, I have whined enough....

• Holeinone

Cami, cute....THANKS !

• camillegal

Hole whine and wine all u want u'r body has healing to do, take it slow and easy.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,628

Sigh !!!!!! Four pages behind.  Isn't it comforting when you can depend on yourself like I can....to always be behind:

Lilli

• camillegal

Lilli funny pic.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

SPoOkIe--spookie, remind me not to piss you off LOL 

Littlegoats---Leno's left ROTFLOL, not sure I ever watched his show. Never was interested after Johnny left. Hope little baby goat does okay.

My dear friends boyfriend---In ICU double pneumonia. first time ever in a hospital since about 5 y/o. He's 68. She's 68. They met a year ago after corresponding on one of those on line dating things. They had their first meeting weekend in New Orleans. 2 1/2 weeks later they were living together. 

The trouble they have right now is they told staff they were married. Not a problem unless the staff somehow found out. 

I asked if they had a " Living Will" and "Healthcare Surrogate POA".  "No they brought that up last night in ICU, and John didn't want to hear of it". 

She and John had/have a total misconception of what both instruments allow. They both thought a Living Will was a Do Not Resuscitate order. The HCPOA --no clue that it would allow her complete involvement in his care ----that she could be joe blow off the street, once notarized was a legal instrument. I had to get firm with her to get her to listen. I finally got through.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Soapbox Sassy on her soapbox LOL---Does everyone have a WILL, Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA), Healtcare Surrogate Power of Attorney (HCSPOA), Living Will.

Trust for assests is even better than a Will. But even if a Trust is in place there should be a WILL too. Why a Will and a Trust? Covers for unforseen things that may not be covered in the Trust.  Having both will avoid Probate.

Originals in Safety Deposit Box. Have DPOA named as signatory on box with a key. 

Copies of Wills and Trusts to named heirs. 

Take Living Will and HCSPOA and have it scanned into the doctors and hospitals record system. Saves immense trouble if you forget them in an emergency. When having them made have two originals. Keep an original that you carry. Some places won't honor a copy.

Having someone on your bank account or property  sounds great, but very bad idea. Better to be managed by person named as Durable Power of Attorney. Why? If a second person on your accounts or property(bank, home, car, boats,motorcycle, mutual funds) is sued, your assests can be attached to a settlement.---no recourse.

Best to have person named  on accounts or property as TOD-Transfer on Death or POD- Payable on Death.

On Certificate of Deposits only have one name listed per certificate.

Make sure all heirs are alive.

Check on laws in your state.

• sas-schatzi

Blessings---OMG I haven't smiled and laughed so much in awhile. It's going in the topic box. THANK YOU. My dogs would oh so love this. Our local dog park isn't monitored and there's some very bad dogs there and clueless owners. Last trip there cost me 290$ for stitches to Schatzi after a dog attack.

YAY GOLFGIRL_ALL DONE___WHOOPANAHOOT:)

Love everyone's pics today ;)

• sas-schatzi

TeKA, please, a HCSPOA needs to be done too. Example: After aunts pacer insertion she was babbling. They did a cat scan. Found an incidental brain tumor. Docs wanted to do brain biopsy. MY Mary and I discussed everything at length when I became her Surrogate. I refused the bx. She was 89. The tumor could have been there since birth. The bx had significant risk. I said let's take a wait and see approach b/c her change of mental status could have be anesthesia induced. It was . She was okay in two days. She was very happy I had followed her wishes.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Love the dogs romping in the snow. Any one read the fine print at the end? About no small dogs were lost in the filming?  LOL

• sas-schatzi

OH CHIT: I'll be all afternoon trying to get the owls back in place

• sas-schatzi

cool-----I'm getting better at this---have know idea what I'm doing, but I keep hitting buttons and clicking until something happens. Today I found a thing that said "undo" after I hit something and one of the owls disappeared. YAY "undo" made it re-appear :)

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248

Hey Sas,   Just checking in!!Winking  At work right now  --will be off soon on the way to have that preliminary breast exam.   I'll check out the feed later tonight to see which of you are still up.  

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Followup to SAS's suggestions: getyourshittogether.org. Great website started by a young woman who was suddenly and unexpectedly widowed. Good explanations of what's needed and why. Now if I could get DH to do any of this, it would be great. The doc gave him the paperwork for a living will and DPOA, so maybe he'll do it for him.

• sas-schatzi

Wren--thanks for the web site. DPOA  usually has healthcare in it, but depending on the state, it may not allow what the HCSPOA of that state allows. In Florida it doesn't. Odd seems it should, but it doesn't. That's why checking the laws in your state is so important.

The Banks, and Savings an Credit Unions: the laws allowing TOD and POD were legislated after 9/11. Some many that died that day did not have things in place for there families. Many only had one name on an account. Survivors were left without ability to access there funds. 

I'm on my accounts as "sas-schatzi with TOD to DS". He is also my DPOA. So, if I am incapacitated the DPOA for all the stuff in the DPOA kicks in. Yet say he gets sued for whatever, they have no claim on anything of mine. The HCSPOA kicks in for medical stuff.

What my friends John didn't get is--------that with a living will , you can specify  "that all life saving measures be implemented for as long as the body survives even if in a vegetative state" or you can say "no resuscitative measures under any circumstance" The beauty of the instrument is you say what it is you want. Mine, I clearly specify " all efforts are to be made until it is determined irreversible brain death. AND NO FEEDING TUBE either nasally or Gastric/ iv's or/trach tube if in irreversible coma which is different than brain death. 

• sas-schatzi

Teka, the owls are fixed in my browser--chrome, are they messed up elsewhere?

• Holeinone

Sas, they look good...are you feeling better ? ...ok. ?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258

We had our living wills made out about 10 years ago.... We DO have a will, but since our banks and house is also in their name, it won't have to go through probate....   My folks had done all this with my Brother and I, and I could also write out checks to take care of my Dad when he was in the Hospital!    And after they were both gone, since the house was in our name, we could put it up for sale....  We cleaned out their whole lives, within 2 weeks after Dad's memorial service, put the house up for sale, and drove to the  San Francisco airport crying all the way....     Honestly that was the worst day of my life.... 

Even if their money is in your name, and it is POD.... that means you can't touch it unless they have passed!   And to "claim" some Anuity's, they have to be declared "terminal, or in a nursing home, or dead." 

But their preparations saved us so much trouble!    Their house sold, and papers were faxed to each of us, to sign, and  the Realtor took care of everything.    All I can say is, when you are going through so much heart-ache and turmoil, you have to write down almost every thought.... every phone number, and every detail, so you will have it with you!  

Your kids have to know where your important papers are...  And what your wishes are.  We just paid for both of our cremations...  and that is even though we both have insurance policy's!   But funerals are about 20 times more expensive than cremation, and you can have your wishes included at that time... like what kind of service...etc. Or even none! 

Hopefully all families get along, and your wishes are understood....  otherwise, it's a big mess.

Geez, it's just no fun to talk serious like this.... but hope it helps...

• sas-schatzi

H-I-1-----yes, found something interesting when I do a what I call a pain free day -----enough meds that pain level is 0-2/3, the next few days are wonderfully very low pain without any meds. Have no clue why. It's occurred enough that I have noticed the connection. Yesterday was very high in the morning 8/9:10, medicated to my max --oxy 10mg and 5 mg valium. Today is a delight.

I'm surmising there is something that it does according to the "Gate Theory" that interrupts the pain cycle. Whatever the hell it is, very nice. Seems reproducible :):):)

What are you doing to CELEBRATE the end of rads :)

Teka I switched to IE from chrome, the owls all seem to be nesting where they are supposed to be :)

Blessings I put the doggy link in the topic box :), and calling all my doggypeoplefriends :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942

I just got back from the Stephanie Center. Appointment was with Carmen, the nurse practioner. I showed her the tiny lump above my surgery site, and she found a second one.

She went to get my onco, Dr. Mrozek, who was there within 2 minutes. I told her, "If this is another cancer, I'm going to be so angry!" She said, "and I will be angry too!"

They called downstairs and got me right in for an ultra sound. I only waited a few minutes to be seen.

Thank God it's only scar tissue! Hallelujah!

Nobody likes scarring, but after BC, scar tissue is excellent!

I so love the Stephanie...everything under one roof. Hugs from my Dr. and nurse/pract.

My doctors, surgeon & onco work together. They're the DYNAMIC DUO!

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934

Soteria-what a relief!!!

I found out yesterday that I will start chemo next Thursday, and get my iron infusion Friday with the neulesta(sp?) shot.

I wonder if I'm repeating myself...did I already post this? i truly think I'm loosing my marbles lately. I can't remember anything and at times I have a hard time putting sentences togther...wth?

It's stinking cold out there too...but I want ice cream. :)

Hugs!

• spookiesmom

Soreria.   Yeah.  Do the happy dance!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Soteria- whew on the lumps and scare tissue. I have some areas of that too, always worried when I feel things but know the mammos and ultrasounds will help everyone to know. 

Glad you are okay! Happy

Teka- your Valentine's Day treats sound delicious!

• spookiesmom

Yummmmm those sound good

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

Teka - I've done that!  Hop out of the hot tub, roll in the snow, then hop back in.  Invigorating!

• sas-schatzi

Cool games opened well yay

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

Teka, it was back when I lived in Colorado, nuff said LOL?   

kathindc, LMAO at the snowman pic!  ♥