Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Love the pics.

Busy this morning girls I have been so sleepy that's about all I'm doing so if u don't see me it's nap time.

I remember rads, but I also remember not using a deordorant with aluminum in it--like ever again, well I do but I'm just saying and aloe was excellent for me--altho u can still see my skin is dark all on one side bt no one sees me anymore except medical people and I really don't care anymore. Oh wait I think they said no deordorant the day u'r being radiated maybe and no lotions, they want a clean skin to use. I think that's it. See sometimes things come back and if u get tired deb rest if u can. That all u can do, and the Dr. will check u'r skin every week so if u need anything extra he'll take care of it. I did ask for some funky tattoos of course but they said they weren't allowed to do that. Rules.

Excuse me Sas----it's snowing here so a little grey sky doesn't really concern me at this point. and

Did everyone brush u'r teeth this morning? oooooooo

• badger

Cami, yes and I learned that it's hard to brush your teeth when you're laughing, what a mess!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

MdnDeb3- you might also look on the BCO site for a current rads group. I joined the Winter Rads group last year when I was doing my internal rad treatments. Most of the women there were doing external radiation as you are preparing for, and sharing info on cremes and other helpful tips as you go through the treatment. You might want to check that out.

You will feel tired from the rads, so if you are working through this (as I was), be sure to try to work PT if you can so you have time to rest each day. The fatigue will leave with time.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

• mdnghtdeb3
    mdnghtdeb3 Member Posts: 125

Holeinone- Congrats on finishing rads yesterday! That is great news! xo

luvmygoats- Wow! Thank you for all the information! ...and for the hints/suggestions! Big help! Yes, both are going to be done at once, and I was told 5 weeks to entire breast (both), and then one week to incision sites.Can I ask...does the nip area really get that sensitive for most women. Sounds a little painful, but also sounds like you had it down to a science. I know this is a silly question, but I am a bit on the thin side...does that in any way affect the treatment...more likely to have skin reactions, etc., or does it not really matter? It sounds like you did have very long days. Wow! Rads then work? You are a nurse, right? Did you work 12 hr shifts? Yikes! I really really appreciate all the info and the suggestions! Hugs! 

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Db I think it's more of the shade of u'r skin and the sensitivity of it than anything. If that helps any. Some women have very sensitive skin with any shade so they should probably use more than one cream and more than 2 times a day. My skin is OK, but I'm fair skinned so the dark is still there, cuz of pigmentation. And I think they allow for size for the rads.

I have to say Deb. u sounds so much better than when u first came here and I'm glad of that.

• mdnghtdeb3

Camill - Yes, that helps! I'm a bit on the darker side...not very sensitive skin...and I always tan the second I walk out the door and the sun is shining! Well, I take that back...as far as my breast area...probably much more sensitive (not a lot of sun exposure there...LOL). So, I can expect my skin pigmentation to change once rads is over? 

Honestly, sweetie...I know I sound better because of my path results, but it is also because of all of you! xo

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Please don't post Olympic results. We are nearly a day behind some countries. Our evening competition show starts only now with results some had last evening.    Thank you. 

• Miminiemi
    Miminiemi Member Posts: 260

Just found this group, but am awake often in the night.  I'm in the middle of 16 radiation treatments and just now starting to see some skin reaction.  My kids are adults with small children.  I understand it is hard for them to coordinate time to see me since the live an hour and two hours away.  But still I can't seem to fight off feeling sad the have only called and didn't come during lumpectomy or other scarey moments.  Friends here are carrying me through.

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950

hi all. So glad to find this thread. Actually 2nd time around told me about it - thanks. Read thru ALOT of posts from here today. Y'all seem like a close family. How awesome.  Night time is the worst time for my back pain from stage 4 extensively to spine, ribs , hips.  Once I am awake from the pain than my brain starts working overtime fearing what is going to happen. I am married with 2 boys age 11 & 8. So when they r all asleep and all is quiet it is super hard.  Very excited to be able to pass the time talking with others who get it.  

Mimi what made you decide to be a clown?  My father was a Shriners clown when he was still living.  It was amazing to see how wonderful he was with children (even though he was terrible with kids when we wre young)  and too see how much money he raised for the Shriners hospital. When he put his makeup and outfit on he was transformed into someone totally different. Anyway not sure why I  rambling. Just wanted to say hi all. 

Patty

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997

Hi Mimi and Patty.   If you are up usually someone else will come on and say hi pretty quickly.  

Mimi I think it is true our kids want to believe we are strong. One of my kids was being very short with me and I told her that I noticed that I was short with my mom when she was ill and I realized it was because I was afraid she was going to die.. My child changed tunes after that.

Patty I am sorry you have night time pain and worries. I feel sure you will find support on this thread. Welcome. 

Ginger.   

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Blessings, thank you for the video. LMAO! 

Ginger, thanks for the reminder about the Olympics results. We're so far behind everyone here on the west coast.

mnDeb, I agrees, you're sounding much more relieved. So happy chemo not required.

PattyP, glad to see you here. Have enjoyed quick response game playing, especially during the evening hours. Night time is the worst and the loneliest time, now you have another place to go to join others. 

Mimi, your avatar is a hoot! 

Paula, so happy for you! Never thought I'd say scar tissue is a good thing, but in this case, it is.

Sassy, how many owls were in the header? I thought there were 5, only see 4.

Spookie, is it just my iPad, your avatar appears sideways.

I'll never look at a tube of tooth paste quite the same way again!

Thanks all for your funnies! I appreciate the laughs

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934

I took a long nap today and now I'm not able to fall alseep....hoping the melatonin will kick in soon.

Mimi-I have a 21 year old daughter that lives at home, but most of her time is at her boyfriends. I've found myself disappointed with her reaction to all of this too. I wish she was more involved, helped me more, talked to me more...etc. But maybe Gingerbrew is onto something, maybe she is distant because she is afraid.

Patty-sorry you are in pain ((hugs)) Do you take meds to help manage it?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Aw, Teka - Dang! It's a naughty, but really funny video from the BBC series Mrs. Brown's Boys. You can Google "Mrs. Brown Gets A Bikini Wax" but most of the Youtube videos show it in partial segments. The link I posted shows the whole episode (at least the funny part).

Welcome, Miminiemi! It always amazes and disgusts me how self-centered adult children can be. We deal with it in our family, too. We will be your middle-of-the-night friends! (And yes, we're on here during the day as well...)

Welcome, PattyPeppermint! Don't be surprised if you get all sorts of nicknames pretty quickly; that's how it goes around here. I'm so sorry you are having pain... I can guarantee that if you stick around here long enough, you will be laughing... heartily!

Ginger - great response to your child...

Tootie!!! Are you feeling better? Funny we were thinking of each other at the same time....Winking

Tang - I have yet to try the melatonin...do you have to take it close to bedtime? Can you actually feel it "kick in"?

~ ~ ~

Busy working on MIL's Memorial Service stuff.... spent all night downloading music - stupid iTunes hates me!!! I really shouldn't be allowed to do any kind of complicated computer stuff at night... I go crazy furious. Devil

Tomorrow I sleep in - yay! Just have to get up for a meeting at 10:45. I may not even need to set my alarm. Well, maybe I'd better, just in case.

Nighty night, Owlettes!!! 

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

welcome PattyPepper &  Miminiemi ! ( Miminiemi ) , we are on the same rad thread, small world eh !

Regarding the reactions to our young/adult children...this is uncharted territory for all of us, we have always taken care of our kids...my sweet son has really struggled with my dx. He is a strong, confident man, & it has broken my heart to see how hard this has been for him. My daughter is 3 years younger, tough as nails, cause that's the way I raised her. She is helpful, but back to business, hard work, exercise, when do I plan on doing this, ?...

I am so lucky, my kids are great, they will push me to continue the lifestyle I used to have, that I pushed them into...but  I agree, they do not want to talk about the reality of my scary dx, stage 3... They want life back to normal...busy...

• badger

Welcome Mimi & Patty.  I too had a long nap now awake when DH came home from work (he works late on Sat night) and was singing at the top of his lungs in the shower.  STFU!  Now he's snoring and I'm awake @ 2 a.m.

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853

WHY CAN'T I SLEEP??????????????

• badger

hi Carolyn, IDK but me too! 

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

I want in, too!

• badger

hi Maddy!  You're in like Flint!

• Njmom3
    Njmom3 Member Posts: 39

I was so excited when I feel asleep at 1145 pm. I thought wow a normal nights sleep...  Guess not!

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853

This really $uck$!

• badger

My DH and I work opposite schedules.  I work days and he works nights.  I'm a light sleeper.  He lays down and crashes so hard you could set off a bomb by his head and he'd keep snoring.  I don't usually wake him up when I get up at 4:30 but he always wakes me up when he comes to bed at 2.  I can usually fall back asleep but some nights, like tonight, I can't.  Dammit.  Maybe I should go start a load of wash.....

• badger

Night Owls -----

• badger

And then there was one?  Sunday paper just came so off I go to read.  Good night/good morning!

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

my daughter was dx with bc in spring of 1998 when she was 28.  i researched online and had a binder full of information.  i thought i knew a lot about bc.  i was dx 2/23/11 and found i didn't know diddly....  my daughter, on the other hand, knew too much....  she was been my rock and although dh tries, she is the one who got all of us (including our son) through all this even though she's been more scared than i have been.  dh is 75 & i'm 70 now - she moved in with us a year-and-a half ago and is a tremendous help.  this site has also been invaluable - i have cried on my bc sisters shoulders and told them things i haven't been able to discuss with my family.  i need to exercise more - walk more - eat less, etc., etc., but i am a lazy, procrastinating, self-pitying, silly, stubborn so & so....

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

When will I learn too quit messing with the owl gallery? I did learn also, thatthe undo button only works once. If you mess up that once then it's back to the beginning----OH CHIT.

• mdnghtdeb3

Welcome Mimi and Patty! Great group of ladies here will offer you great advice, keep you strong, and even cause a laugh!

What is it with our adult children? Wow! I am sure they are afraid. It's hard to watch their supermoms become any less then the glue that holds everyone together, but with that being said...they are also adults. It's time for them to step up to the plate and take some responsibility for their actions, or lack of actions (at least that is what my DH says). I, too have an adult son who has been MIA since my dx. Okay, that isn't entirely true. He did show up at the hospital for my surgery, but not one phone call or visit. Ginger, I think you have the right idea...we need to tell them how we feel. I may do just that today!