Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Hol- luvmygoats is right on about the bone density test before the AIs. I had a baseline before I started Arimidex (slightly osteopenic) and they like to check on that yearly to make sure you are not loosing too much bone health. I take 1500 of calcium a day and 5000 of Vitamin D (I am low on VitD so this was recommended by my PCP). That and exercise, especially weight lifting and weight bearing exercise like walking, running, etc. help. Yoga also helps to keep osteoporosis at bay. And then there are drugs mentioned here too you need that. 

Also, there is a great Arimidex thread too if you have any more specific questions for folks as you get started. SEs can very from person to person. This is a 5 year plan for most of us. The first six months was a bit adjustment for me, but I am doing better now as I come to the first year anniversary.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topic/7...

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Thanks Jazzy, 

I had a dexa scan 6 months ago, right before chemo. I have been reading the Arimidex  thread for several months. I will take it for at least 5 years, maybe longer with my stage 3 dx. I am hoping for better communication with my MO. She is nice enough, just does not say much, just looks at my blood count and tells me "don't worry about what you have no control over".

I, of course was in such shell shock in the beginning that I just wanted to get the chemo and survive day to day. Now, I am more relaxed, wanting her opinion, advice...I have a follow up appt. with my PCP this week also, she is my rock..I played competitive tennis with her for years before she became my Dr. She knows me.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

checking in this chemo is keeping me down for 6 out of 7 days...

• Holeinone

ah Blondie, you are on Adriamycin, right ?   Yuck ! I was pretty sick, weak. Mine was A/C so no idea what caused what but it is horrific...

Thinking of you & hoping for better days soon...

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Tang, happy dance for no drains!

SAS, Yes I did read the blood pressure stuff.  Thanks for all your work.

Patty, I had an aunt & uncle who lived in Rogers, AR. It's a really pretty state.

Teka, good laugh at the doctor's visit.

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950

wren - pretty indeed but way too cold this winter. 

Blondie - eww the red devil right?  Yuck I remember that way too well.  Praying for minimal se for u. Get some rest.  Gentle hugs to u 

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

I love how I can always find this thread at the top of "Active Topics!"

~ ~ ~ 

Sassy - sent you a PM

• Holeinone

Luvmygoats, 

Thanks for the help, I missed you on my last post. I am going to ask / push for Zometa. When you do "find" that something special you can share it with us...lol..I over did it 4-5 years ago on Belleek china, have a china hutch full of that and my MIL Wedgewood. 

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258

You guys, I have nothing intelligent to say here, or anywhere for that matter!  And Cam, would you mind telling me what the hell you are talking about?  I mean the "30" shades of gray part?  Were you in Home Depot or somewhere?   And I don't think THEY even have 30 shades of gray!

Would you gals please tell her???  And no, when I first started reading that 40 shades book, I thought OMG!!!!  and more OMG's!  Until finally, you just start skimming over pages, then flipping about 3 at a time just to get to something different!  I mean even I....(underline I) would get pretty darned tired, and bored, not to mention sore  and  unable to think straight!    Pretty repititious, I said to myself.....  I thought, they HAVE to do something ELSE, for God's sake....  but nope, they didn't. 

That Ana, or Anastasia, or whatever she was, was just a glutton for punishment....  I will never bite my lip again.... afraid some maniac will chase me home....   and wait... Let me word that differently....  Maybe afraid he wouldn't. 

And Sass, if I had a clue what you were talking about, I would comment!  I would have to take a class to understand!   I just know your OWLS are ready to take flight!   I keep seeing them flying around my house!   I have to go back and read what you wrote...not that THAT would help, but as soon as I am finished fooling around in my closet, I will be back....  It hurts just to "think" sometimes.  In there, I don't have to.

And Goats... I love little goats!  And little pygmy pigs....  Or is it just miniature?  Small ones, anyway. 

• Chevyboy

Never mind....  it is 50 Shades of Grey!  Not 40..... or even 30, like what Cammi said.....  WHATever!

• PattyPeppermint

Chevy love your ecard. I might add to the end of it      " but all I ended up with was a swollen bloody lip and now the gnats won't leave me alone ".  Hehe

• jazzygirl

Hol- well I think our doctors and others that tell us not to worry probably mean well, but sometimes it makes me feel like "it's my life we are talking about here people!" It does sound like you are doing all the right things to get the right treatments. I think the doctors put together the best plan for our individual cases and then we all hope for the best. You sound on top of the preparations to be ready to start the AIs.

• Chevyboy

Peppermint!  I DID that once!  After the Prom.... in the back seat, waiting for the Pizza.... but it wasn't from ME biting it...Ha!   

How come I remember THAT, but I can't remember my address!  Winking

• Holeinone

Jazzy, thanks for the encouragement...

Chevy, the owls are flying around your house? Ok, you have finally confirmed, admitted that you let your guard down & visited Colorado's new "coffee houses". 

• PattyPeppermint

Chevy lol

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Tang i am sorry :( sending you hugs..

for the ladies sending the pictures Thanks i love them. 

I am feeling down these days, maybe is just so much happening 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,629

ThumbsUpEnerva...what great owls.

Lilli

• Chevyboy

GG!  Can you believe that!  Ha, ha!  Well maybe not the owls, but we have quite a few HUGE Crows out flying around in the ditch next to your house..... They are nicely fed by us.... them and the flying damn squirrels! 

Lacee used to LOVE harassing the squirrels on the fence.... but NOW we shovel the snow, to walk over to the fence just to feed THEM everyday!   But it's fun to watch them out the kitchen window, LEAPing from limb to limb, and down to their "feeder" on the plant stand!  Who ELSE would make sure the squirrels are fed?  AND the Crows, and Oh!...... NOW the Woodpeckers!  Word must have gotten around.   The pecker-heads must be a couple!  They are always together, and eat anything we put out! 

So we have Pecker-heads, flying squirrels, giant Crows, and I can't keep track of who will show up for brunch next! 

Enerva!   Oh please don't be down.....  Little honey, what can we do?   So you are in Missiuraqualabed Canada or somewhere?   Is that a real place?  I think you just made that up!  Seriously..... call the Doctor, or call someone that can figure you out....   I am trying....  By the way.... I love your owls!   Go drink a chocolate coke.... or eat some cheese!

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934

LOVE chocolate coke...get those at Sonic every once in awhile. mmmmmm

• Chevyboy

This will drive Sassy crazy!

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/10/fda-reconsid...

It's about Aleve now....  But it CAN'T hurt, if you only take it occasionally, right? 

Yes Tang!  Now I have to go to Sonic, when I am not at home, right?  Ha! 

• Miminiemi
    Miminiemi Member Posts: 260

Blessings.thank you for long message about therapy.  I so agree

Patty and cami Glad you are happy to know a clown.  I took my invisible dog to radiation today.  It's a leash that looks like a dog is there, but it's just bent wire.  I'm sure you have seen them.  I selected my name Mimi because my maiden name was Niemi and there was a mix-up on paperwork making me Mimi one time.  There were other clowns named Mimi so I had to add Sweet to get it registered in an organization I belong to. I have been able to overcome fears of all kids, but some adults have it harder.  My clown character is a child of about four and makes silly mistakes often.  Today I really locked my keys in my car and phone too.  You know, preoccupied with other thoughts.  Had to get a locksmith to help me out.  But the rad receptionist had the number handy.  Hospital maintenance tried but the 5 below zero temp made it too hard for hom to do.  

I'm sleeping better but want to stay here since you gals are fun and not too focused on the worries we share, or can joke a little while you worry.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

lol Thanks Chevy hopefully spring will arrive in 2 months and i ll feel better lol yes Mississauga does exist is in Ontario Canada just 20 minutes west of Toronto lol

I never had a chocolate coke i dont even have the regular kind lol i ll have to try it one day. First time i heard about it . 

Well my sister does have bc and i guess me been so far away and not able to help much is making me feel this way. I guess i ll feel better after she has surgery and they tell me her margins are clear and no chemo or rad needed. Thats all i wish to happen now. 

• jazzygirl

Enerva- wishing good outcomes for your sister so she can get her treatment and get better. I know you said she has other health issues and you are worried. Keep us posted on how she is doing. 

I hope maybe she will come here too and use this site. I sent some info on BCO to a friend today whose partner just got diagnosed recently, hoping it helps them in some way. I think there are good articles here and good people here too. We get by with a little help from our friends....

• Holeinone

Mimi....how fun that you get to be silly and interact with kids...too bad about the locked keys in the car, that is frustrating....you do not have to have sleep issues to hang with this group, all is welcome

Enerva, sorry that your sister is now facing this challenge..does she have a surgery date ? Waiting is so hard....

Chevy, I wanted to read your Aleve article, but I cannot open it..I do take all the OTC, but so little that I never worry about it, have been the last 2 weeks taking more, sore burnt boob...

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

It's me, awakening from my nap and some phone calls. I thought my phone was ringing and couldn't fin it but I was sitting on it so I can read voice mail NOW and with my big ass, I didn't even break it.

Wow another sister with cancer, what does it come in 2's when u have a sister--geeze what  mess. I'm so sorry waiting for their results is worse than our own. It sucks.

OK Mimi I didn't dream about u, so u don't scare me hahaha oh and I love the invisible Dog u took with.

And OTC pills usually aren't used that much, I mean there are times we might take more, but usually if u think about how long the bottles last u can tell how often and it's usually not that much for damage. Anyway All the poison that has been injected, x-rayed, chemo, rads and everything else--I can't imagine it could be much worse--that's all poison, it helps us to kill cancer, but it is a poison going into our system. Ahh that's how I look at things anyway. U all know I'm quirky so......

Well enough for now, but I'll BBL

• jazzygirl

Cami- I was on a three hour conference call presentation today on my project (just listening, not presenting) and in the last half hour, I just fell asleep! I was tired but after awhile, it was the same people doing the blah, blah, blah and those who like the sound of their own voice. 

Another benefit of working from home, you can sleep through boring presentations! ThumbsUp

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Oh Jazzy, that call must have been a crashing bore!

• mdnghtdeb3
    mdnghtdeb3 Member Posts: 125

Smaarty - Just in case I'm not here tomorrow...Happy Birthday, sweetie!!! xo

Jazzygirl - You probably already know this, but if you find yourself wheezing again, try a warm cup of coffee. The caffeine will help to open the airways! :) 

Looks like I am once again quite behind here. Lots to read. Busy girls! LOL! Hope everyone is feeling okay, managing pain, and resting up. xo

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Jazzy that is so funny I;m LMAO I love it.

• Miminiemi
    Miminiemi Member Posts: 260

Jazzymom-a nap during boring meetings.  Priceless.

Teka- I'm stating for the luv and smiles.  I'll read in the morning unless I awake in the wee hours!  Thanks ladies.  As clowns say for luck, "bump a nose".