Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Chevy, Cami, Teka.....thanks so much for the warm welcome.  I am really happy I found this thread and have a place to visit if I am up late nights.  Seems like a great group....supportive and carefree and fun.  I like!  I'll even visit during the daytime.  :)

Getting ready to feed our little family.  We have two Golden Retriever's.  Both are from a rescue in Colorado.  Also three cats, they are all shelter kitties.  We are such suckers, but due to the economy we are forced to hang the 'No Vacancy' sign out.  We are very happy with our fur family.  Both of our Golden's....Murphy and Sampson, are about nine and we are blessed they have lived this long.  Wonderful breed, but they have a terribly high mortality from cancer.  We lost our first Golden, Spencer Radley, to a very aggressive cancer when he was barely five.  My son lost his cherished Golden 'Will' to cancer last May.  I lost my mom to cancer 15 years ago.  Damn I hate this disease with a passion.

Be well, one and all.  Take good care and thanks again for the happy thoughts! 

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895

Good Morning!!!

So you talked me into it!  I have color on my hair!  Roots were looking sad.  I may or may not be sitting here in a "robe" I acquired form a mamogram facility some years back because I thought it might be useful when coloring my hair Singing

Sas, hope you feel better even if you don't sound it.  My kids LOVE it when I have to yell at a whisper!

Hi Janis!!

Cami, you know you are brilliant! of course you still have good ideas, even if you don't know it!

Hi Teka, your pics are making me hungry!

Phylo!  I took Metanx through chemo, I actually requested it to try to prevent the neuropathy.  They have a generic called Vitaric-B.  I just filled mine yesterday.  Don't know if it helped but it sure didn't hurt.  I ended up with very few problems and I still have neuropathy in the ankle I shattered but it is SLOWLY getting better.  I have another list of things I take that are supposed to help and I will find it and post it for you.

Tang!  I did ice during chemo, both hands and feet.  I had one big toe nail lift but didn't lose any.  I had lines show up in my fingernails that seemed to be consistant with each treatment and they have finally grown all the way out and toe is back to normal.  I finished chemo 8/13.  Best of luck to you in the trenches!

Linda, have a great visit with your sister.

Prayers for Lilli and her family!

Ziggy, you crack me up.  Fit right in with Chevy and Cam! Give 'em hell, they need it!!

2nd time, Spookie, BlueBird and Wren!  Hope things are going well!

Nice Shoes Lil'Goats!!  More ice your way?  PLEASE do not send it my direction.  I can't take my kids home again this soon!

Hi O!  I like it!  Better than I da Ho!!  or just plain hole!  Hope you are well and glad you are done with rads!

And CHEVY!  I will sit on my ass for a while if you so.  Nurse asked me yesterday if I was active.  DA  then she got a funy look and said she forgot who she was talking to.  I have to go have my booblette drained again today because I am being too active.  I like it like this!  Might not be a good thing but it looks pretty nice.  It wants to be a grown up boob again and it fighting for that!!!  So depressing to go watch it deflate AGAIN.  So I will take it easy if you do.  NOT, but what's a girl to do?  Hope you are feeling well and getting around ok.!

I know I have missed many!  Sorry about that.  Hope everyone is having a great week!

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

4 U sound so much better right now--I hope it is going better for you---slow down is so hard for u--I wish I had some of u'r energy.

Little busy today--so BBL

• 4sewwhat

Things are exceptionally good right now Cami!  All things considered.....  YOu do have energy!  YOu keep going no matter what.  I love you for that!

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Good Morning to all, 

Janis, WELCOME ! I am 2 hours south from you in Twin Falls. Small world. This bunch has kept me from, well, instead of going to the nuthouse, I joined this crazy party.

Chevy, great image of you outside with the trusty walker, kids, stray dogs and loose chickens. You need a horn for your wheels & a whistle. It's your job to keep that neighborhood in line. Hell, you have been there long enough, you own the place!

4sew, as always you are large & in charge. Shoot, wish I would of thought to get myself a "gown". My hair is very white/grey. I bit DH head off last night we he starting telling me for the hundredth time how much he like my QTIP head.....arrrg, I need to have my hairdresser color the 1 inch mess, trim the neck up. Then I might keep it up myself. So expensive to have them do it. I have calicks (sp) everywhere.

Chevster, the girl & fish.....cute....unusual, little girls usually hate fish...

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934

Hi janis! :)

Cami-I am working today actually haha, even though I'm trippin. I got about 4 hours of sleep and my upper body feels sore as heck. I'm worried about taking time off too, I'll be okay today...thankfully I work from home.

So, I'm beginning to think that my pain meds are causing me insomnia. I called the pharmacist and she acted like I was asking a bizarre question, but I've noticed on the nights that I have taken them I can NOT sleep. Worse than normal I should add.

Anyway...I'm just pressing on! I've heard about the ice and the nail thing, but that just sounds brutal to sit with ice on my fingers.

Someone was talking about coloring their hair...I tried to put some hot pink strips on mine this weekend. FAIL! everytime I'd run my hand on the strip, hair would come out haha

• Holeinone

Sas......hoping your throat, neck, head is starting to feel a little better....

Tang, the port ( I have a POWER port, sounds like super women ) is strange at first, but somehow like all this crap, it becomes ok...I still freak out a little when I see it poking out...I am keeping mine for a few more months...

Dinner Party @ my house.....what in the heck was I thinking....not in the mood, thankfully it's a pot luck...

• camillegal

OK OK  Tang needs help on hair going first. (IMHO) Shave the rest off otherwise u look lopsided it's all going to com off anyway so no it will look like it's supposed to be--Now for statement--Of course u can get a wig closest to u'r hair color if u cn. But most of the time u might not feel like wearing it. so u get a few really cute hats--colors too and wear them a little (just a little) tilted with big sparkly earrings, if u wear a scarf make sure they're are not silky or they will slip, learn how (if u don't know) to tie them with a pretty knobby tpe bow and again wear big earrings--always earrings--and lite make-up but do u'r eyes (if u can) with some color and use u'r eye-lashes as long as u can with mascara so they show up and if u have blue or green eyes I'm very jealous-but wear complimentary colors with them, brown to ---if u wear a knit beret type hat wear a big sparkly pin on it and let u'r earrings be smaller.---I did work like that for four months---then I had to use my time cuz then I got my deboobish operation--but it looked good and I don't wear hats very well, but I had to (in my head, I thought) so if u do wear them, wear them with pizzaz--it makes u feel better.

• camillegal

Now Hole what I did the first time--my hair was all white--so I reversed foiling to dark brown and had what looked like platinum streeks--I liked it just saying u don't have to have it done as much or just dye it all and u'll feel better

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Tang, In cold weather fleece is both soft and warm. I've watched some scarf tying videos online. There's a series by a super cute Moslem woman who explains how to tie the headgear. Man, talk about a lot of work. Not suggesting you do that, but she's so cute they're fun to watch. One of our departed members had a red bandana with dreads attached. Sounded cute and fun - she's a blonde.

• tangandchris

Cami-I know I gotta shave it, I wish ya'll could all come for a "shaving party" so if I cried you could all make me laugh. I'm not going the wig route though, I've already decided that it isn't me. I'm gonna scarves and hats. BUT....I've got a big head and I'm having trouble finding hats that fit. Thanks for the make-up and earrings tips. I thought about the earrings, I gotta go do some shopping :)

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922

Tang, You might look on Etsy for hats. Anyone there could probably make one to order that would fit well. I share the big head problem. DH wears a smaller hat than I do.

• Holeinone

tang, that would be a "hoot". We would give ya a little Mohawk first ! I'll bring the wine...:)

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726

Sassy so glad you are back, take care of yourself!!

• 4sewwhat

Shaving Party!  I'm in!  I will bring the chips and dip!

TLC had lots of cute hats and stuff too!  I also remember seeing a place called www.TurbanDiva.com  too!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Oh Owlettes, Some very weird things are happening. I've googled them and no answers. I'm having these wild mood fluctuations---wild.  Bit two peoples heads of on the phone------totally not me. I've already called and apologized. 

I'm suspicious of Wellbutrin--LOL 3A4. Have no ides what all was given too me. So don't know if those drugs are going through my funky pathways. Besides not sure what the malfunctioning thyroid hormone was doing.

Pawprints comment that she's trying to catch up on reading and she says I'm talking this different language. Chevy says ( I can imagine her patting Pawprints shoulder). Don't worry sas does that ever once in awhile, she'll be okay in awhile.

Breakthrough-AHhah--Chevy's so totally right. I get on a soapbox and you tolerate it Thank you :) then I find normalcy again.

All of you thanks for thinking of me and your words have been wonderful. Warms the soul.

Sorry some are having trouble . Tang you have had so much good advice----CAMI said it best do it with pizzzaz---------cancer may make everything shit. But we can fight that with looking spectacular--fuck cancer, put on that spectacular head gear, make-up, and wild beautiful earrings. Then walk naked in the park. Only if no ones around otherwise you get a ticket.When the cops ask why you aren't dressed the answer is "But OH MY officers, I AM, I have my make up on, and my beautiful scarf" "A lady is always dressed when she has her makeup on"

• sas-schatzi

Janis ----Helllllllloooooooooo we are here 24 hours a day. that makes it nice , very nice, we know each other in the night and day. Krips that sounds like all my college roommates. LOL, they were the best. Yes lots of the best here. Not able to hold on to you problem right now b/c mind malfunctioning. I do know the other gals have a handle on it.

Ziggy--------akron and cleveland here. were we neighbors?

Spookie Yoda called------he says two weeks ----fingers crossed :)

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463

Tang, I also had a rough time getting my port put in. It really hurt a lot in the beginning. I started chemo the day after they put it in and it turned out to be a godsend. I was happy to have it. 

Is there any chance a Friends are by Your Side salon is near you? They will cut your hair and provide a wig at not cost. I did not wear a wig for the most part, but did use it on occasion. I mostly just wore cotton baseball caps. But I loved Martino Cartier the celebrity who founded Wigs N Wishes and Friends are by Your Side. He made me feel like a rock star and getting my hair shaved was an event.

http://friendsarebyyourside.com/find-a-salon-2/

Sas, I'm convinced anesthesia plays havoc on some people. I am a different person after surgery for a few days and pain pills also cause me insommnia sometimes. I just don't handle drugs well!

• camillegal

Sas I agree with Bluebird, especially that now everyone comes home so soon, so u figure OK I'm home but all this stuff hangs around for a few days that's why I think we notice it more now, maybe.

Tang I hve a huge head, my kids still tease me about it so I know but some hats and wigs come in large and that was me,.I had a wig, I think I wore it once, but it is nice to have one and don't forget especially now a sleep cap it's more important than u think,, when I had summer chemo it was fine but winter chemo when u'r head is cold u'r whole body gets colder--even rhat had rhinestones in the front. And I wish we could all be there for u--everyone is different I was so glad to get my hair off--cuz I always had the ugliest hair to work with so I figured I was rid of it. But it did grow back and s far it's much better than it was no frizz. I was one huge Brillo pad.

See I really can't help in any medical ways cuz I honestly never paid attention to what the Drs. would told me, when they'd hold my hands I turned them off completely but I do know about how to hide spots on u'r face and how to wear make-up and accessorize thing when u don't have boobs cuz I never got recon--so that why I go in such detail--that's all I know LOL

• sas-schatzi

Bluebird----it was so weird hearing the words and tone coming out of my mouth--------AND their was a part of me that wanted it to continue. Never heard it out of my mouth before. So, Wellbutrins out the door. 

But Ya'll may think this to harsh ----the last nurse documented somethings that weren't true. Have a call out to the assistant nurse manager. She documented discharge temp as 99----it was a 100. The Norco script I tore up said I didn't need it ,and I ONLY get controlled substances from one doc---gave her the lesson blah blah. She charted I received a script for Norco.__--seems harmless. Then gave me antibx script keflex--I asked her if she didn't have a problem with this?---NO---I'm allergic it was on my wristband and front of chart----------That's Sat nite

I went into ER Sun morning for swallowing difficulty-----intake nurse said you were just here last night and got a Norco script------had to do a third degree explanation. Her ATTITUDE changed as soon as she saw the discharge the night before. ER nurses are always looking for drug seekers._--------She closed her thoughts to anything I said. 

So, I will take action sounds harsh, but this young nurse needs to learn, you don't alter the medical record. PERIOD. If I have to take action against her license I will.  I know sounds way out of bounds to think of taking someones license.

There was an article about a fella that woke in the middle of the night and saw where there were BP's recorded in time periods he wasn't awake. It wasn't a situation where he slept through them. He took every action he could--civil, criminal, license revocation. ---the same assist nurse manager, I have the call out too. Read that article in a staff meeting.......Same floor ----another assist nurse manager from a BSN program saw a nurse do a similar thing at a different hospital and she was this nurses preceptor. Preceptor was teaching the student how to break the law.

I"m a bitch---------------YAY

• tangandchris

Sas-that is disturbing and I bet it happens more than we'd like to think. I agree about your comment on Cami's advice though! Cami, your advice is perfect and just want I needed to hear.

Bluebird-I just checked out that link and there is a salon close to me!! I sent her an email....we will see how this goes! thanks so much

Sas-I just don't understand why the nurse would be doing this. recording your temp lower, and the script, is she worried she will be in trouble if she is honest?

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Sas be good you hear. Take it easy.

Hi Owlettes I'm just fly

Hugs

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Sas, I did some SERIOUS head chewing the first few weeks ofArimadex.  Was the talk of my dog park. It's the drugs!

Ok, let me know about the chair! 

• sas-schatzi

The stupidity of the nurses charting can be proved.....b/c DS was there, and he passed the law ethical test for ALL  50 states. So, it's not just my drug induced state at time of discharge.....So, I'll work it 

This wild stuff going on is beyond me, don't like it at all.

Ziggy re: the wine, all I can compare it too, is I have and the life long fantasy of being in a room, on a big bed, and that the room was full of money. I was sitting in the middle of the money. Throwing the money up in the air and having so much fun. So, when you said the wine cost 47K. It was like fuffilling that fantasy. It had to be all around me.

• sas-schatzi

tang-------"Sas-I just don't understand why the nurse would be doing this. recording your temp lower, and the script, is she worried she will be in trouble if she is honest?"

Recording the temp lower----no clue---stupid---99 looks less then the tree digit 100..

The script---my idea years ago - a pressure sensitive script . That keeps a hospital record. Problem is for the two bad scripts, she needed to go through several steps to invalidate them. She didn't---either wasn't taught, didn't care, or figured --let it go no one will ever notice.

Bad stuff happens every day b/c of less then excellent thinking. I guess OCD. What can I do to make my job the most excellent, not to be questioned. I hold docs and nurses to that standard.

• ziggypop
    ziggypop Member Posts: 276

little tangerine - you don't have to keep your fingers and toes in ice - you can just put a bag of frozen peas on them only for the part when the taxotere is running. None of mine fell off, but some of them did get black streaks running through them that took about a year to go away (I didn't ice - but it makes me think that even mild icing might prevent them from falling off). I have also heard tea tree oil - but some people recommend it for everything from diaper rash to tonsillitis. As far as losing the hair - make sure when you get hats that they are soft inside - no seams or rough edges. I know a lot of women who look damn good bald. I on the other hand looked like a little hispanic man, that's what my SIL told me., She also said I looked like Yoda. Hmmm.

Hi O! - I'll see ya at tangos for the partay 

Janice - Welcome to cray crayville - don't know why anyone would willingly choose to be here but.. okay. Me, I was put here as part of a scared straight program - you know like where they take kids on a tour through jail and scare them into straightening up their act, or else.

cherverolachacha - I tried the whining thing and I will tell you I whine among the best of the best. If there was a top WORLD whiner's competition I would for SURE be in it and it did not do a damn thing for getting me out of chemo which totally sucks that YOU got to get out of chemo because you don't know how to whine worth a pigs titty, and I can whine and whine and whine until eerrybody runs away crying cause their ears hurt, so it's really REALLY not fair that you got out of chemo and I didn't because I KNOW I did a better whining job that you did, but NOOOOOOOO they just plopped me in that dang chair and had their way with me. 

Tango - ol big head cami's right- hats tilted just so to the side & big earrings , oh and also strapping an AK47 to yourself like she does doesn't hurt anything either. 

Sassy - neighbors, hell we're prolly long-lost sisters. I grew up and am now living in this hoity little constipated town called Hudson which is right between Cleveland and Akron & went to Kent State for my first college foray. 

"I"m a bitch---------------YAY" ...... This is good owlsters, you just can't have your full on bitch when you are too sick, makes me think sassy's back. 

"Hi Owlettes I'm just fly" Oh alyson, you are fly fo' shizzle.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258

Okay SASS!  You're mostly back!  Sorry about all the hospital riff-raff screwing things up!   

Maybe think about giving it a few more days, before you go there, armed with your Ak-47, like Ziggers says, and see if your perception of instances is still what you THINK it was.   I know it's hard to believe, but even I, sometimes think my mind is a little foggy...... I know, I know, it's hard to fathom, but that anesthetic and drugs they poured into your poor little body, has NOT left the building yet!   So before you write all the Senators and Congressmen about the beat-down they gave you, give it a little more time....  I might even know what I am talking about.

I know!  Ask Cammi!  She is well versed in just HOW to approach a problem!  Like ME!

I had the most FUN in my hospital!  EVERY staff member checked with me before they even TOUCHED me...  Or gave me any pill, or took BP or more drip stuff!   They even all signed a card, when I was wheeled out of there!   You should have been THERE!  Did you get the path reports yet? 

My friend, that had the Thyroidectomy is doing GREAT!  Over 5 years out, and just takes a pill every day.  Hers was malignant... found it with a body-scan? And they removed it, gave her some type of pill AFTER, which was probably chemo?   But she is doing awesome!  I told her about you, yesterday...  She said her throat hurting was the WORST!

Okay, and so WHERE did you find this Lilshit Ziggy?  SHE is trouncing all over me and the Cam!   SHE was in a scared-straight program?  You mean with anklemonitorPhylli?  

And you guys think I am wild!!!   You see how she talks?  And she drinks tea-tree oil?  Well, no wonder!

And she tells Tangerine to put her toes in a bag of peas?  Yes, it really feels good...  Little peas running in between your toes...    Then when they are thawed out, microwave them with a little butter. 

Spookie!  What chair?  How do I keep missing important things like that?  Are you gals talking in code or something?

Yes Cammi!  You use Spackle compound for those spots too?  Good girl!  And I think you actually spelled accessorize RIGHT?  WTH?  Is your spell-check working again?   I don't care if you have boobies or not...  It's the thought that counts...  Mine are quite spectacular now...

One is larger, and the other is less so!  And my nips have some-how headed south!   But I can still make them fill a bra...  that's whenever I feel I should wear one.... like when company comes.... or doing the pole-job.

Bluebird girl! You are so sweet!  You just post nice things, and the rest of us go nuts!  We will conquer you yet.

4444444444!  You talked about shaving?  I shaved my legs the other day!  WITH my electric razor!  Just like an old lady!  I couldn't do my hurt leg very well, so DH tried his skills as master shaver.... Except you DON'T shave with the f****** SIDE of the shaver!  It leaves big gouges along the leg!   I kicked him off my leg...    And you colored your hair?  Finally I ask?  Good girl!   Doesn't it make you feel good? 

Tang....  don't be scared!  You COULD have my DH shave your head! 

Little mole-hole!  You have a power-port?  That sounds like my power-pole!  You know, the one I dance with?   You guys are all amazing... You just accept what has to be done, no matter what, with a smile, and you have the best attitude! 

YES!  I have to get one of those bicycle horns for my walker, HA!   I couldn't beLIEVE my chicken neighbors!  She was over there, across the street, with her 2 little girls running crazy, the little DOG a block down, running rampant all OVER the place, and it's like she was in la-la land, talking to the other broken ankle neighbor!   I was the only NORMAL one out there! 

Where did Janis go.... did we scare her off yet? 

Okay gals.... gotta go do something.... just ANYthing....  It's not even light out yet! 

• 4sewwhat

Good Morning Ladies, Just popping by to say hello on my way to the coffee maker or my bed!  Haven't decided which will win yet :-P

• camillegal

Holy chit===I slept with no med help===u know that's something for me.

OK Sas now u need to step back and don't even think about the hospital or anything but just rest. I know this is hard for u cuz u'r mind goes 120% all the time, but u need to maintain a low profile just for now--wait til all is done then rethink and remember everything and then go forward. U'r main objective now is to heal no matter what anyone did, U come first then the rest of all this stuff. Ziggy has become scared straight so we have a job on here to take care of too.

OK on to Ziggy so u'r another ex-convict like our anklebraclet Phylo==or are u just on probation, cuz one way or another we don't care--we don't judge about anything especially the actions of a woman, cuz men have worse actions anyway.

Chevy aren't u getting more snow? We are!!! WTF we're getting more than Alaska. Who gives a chit about shaving u'r legs--Oh I forgot u have a DH, see when u don't u really don't notice beside, I don't have any hair on my legs anymore or my cumasequama--nada a little on my arms none under _I really got a dose of something keeping it away. Fine by me except my face WTF on my face I have to use stuff. silly BC crap.

Hey I'm just waking up here with starting my coffee so my brain isn't on full yet--well even when it's on full no one seems to notice the difference that could be a good thing.

Tang how are u doing with u'r new trusty friend, believe me u'll be happy with it. No veins to attck and u don't even feel the needle when they start anything--it's great. One time I was asked if I had a power port and I said no u don't have to plug it in--little did I kno what a power port was--now I wish I had one, but this is good.

• tangandchris

Sassy-I agree with Cami, please just rest and don't worry about all this other stuff!

Cami-I'm still sore...but I'll live. Are you saying it will not hurt when they try to access the port? ugg, i hope not..seems like it will.

I'm thinking this winter is never going to end. I work in the travel industry and its been so bad this year. Weather delays, cxls and all kinds of crap. bleh!

If we have a party, can we have martini's please....even if they don't have vodka we can pretend!