INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Nancy, 'tea time' in Britain is taken traditionally about 4.00pm and was a prelude to Dinner which was about 8.00pm.    Very few follow that now.  As you know, Australia and New Zealand were settled by the English and of course bought that tradition with them and it was really only followed by the upper class.  Over the years, we have dropped Dinner as it is too late for children and replaced it with Tea time to include our main meal.  The only time we Aussies have dinner is when we go to a Restaurant late to eat.  So our meals run at, breakfast, lunch and Tea.  I'm pretty sure it's much the same in New Zealand.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Kiwis and Aussies are funny creatures. We like to confuse the Brits and others. Afternoon tea is just that. Middle to late afternoon with cakes, scones and savouries, that is if you are doing it properly. It can be a cup of tea/coffee and a biscuit. You then have dinner or supper later on. What I called tea was a light meal had in the evening because we had Sunday lunch today with the family. Lunch is usually a light meal - sandwiches etc however today being Sunday it was a full meal. As a child we used to have a much more complex tea on a Sunday  - something called High Tea, just like a very fancy afternoon tea. Am I confusing you? So it really has nothing to do with type of tea - the type you drink.

We often have meals when you are asked to bring a plate? This really confuses outsiders what we mean is bring a plate with something on it so we can share.

• thats-life-
    thats-life- Member Posts: 169

hi all, just on for a minute...

Nancy, just to complicate things..we do say, or our kids say, "what's for dinner??"...then we will call out "tea's ready!" lol

• chrissyb

Lol Alyson, I forgot that bring a plate........I have had visitors from overseas and we have had invitations for get togethers etc where it has stated just that and I can still see the confused look on their faces when I've read it to them......lol....then of course the whole explanation of what it means and then we usually roll around laughing.   Just as well most people have a sense of humour or it could be down right embarrassing!

• chrissyb

In a lot of households, after tea (dinner) most people either have a coffee or a tea depending on their preference.  I usually drink more tea than coffee.  We usually have our tea about 6.00 - 6.30 or I am so hungry I over eat and then end up with an upset stomach ............  and I'm with you about having enough OTC meds to deal with the consequences.

• Ondagrow
    Ondagrow Member Posts: 133

I am a city girl, I eat dinner pretty late normally... I have been TRYING to eat earlier,so I can watch weight... However, this staying up late is not helping, cause I get hungry all over again...

I am not a big hot tea and coffee drinker... I mostly drink tea when I am sick...

I am obsess with 'Diep Flaps'... I have found old post from 2006... I cannot wait to close this chapter (in regards to active treatment and surgery)... I still have tamoxifen for 5 years lol...

Anyone here have a Diep Flap....

• chrissyb

We don't always eat dessert but when we do it can be anything from icecream, custard and stewed fruit, fruit pies and cream, pavlova, specialty cream cake, bakes puddings of numerous variety.  The list could go on and on but mostly icecream is the dessert of choice.

It's amazing what we can get used to when we persevere.  My drink before bed is usually Milo, its a chocolate flavoured malt drink.  Some people make it with all milk but I prefer half and half.

• Ondagrow

Chrissy,

Love the dessert list... Is that what you have with tea...

I am hungry now... I know I should not eat....

• chrissyb

Sohard.....that is what I was looking at but the PS here refused to operate on me as he said I was too heavy so I haven't had recon but I really would like to some day.   if I ever get rid of some of this weight....lol....   Goodluck with what you find, I hear it's a good way to go....involved with a fairly long recovery but those who have had it are very happy with the results.

• chrissyb

Sohard....if you get hungry at night you are better off trying to stick to a piece of fruit as in an apple or such like or some raw veg as in carrot, bell pepper, cucumber etc.

Those are a few of the things we would have after our main meal which is usually our tea, your dinner.

• chrissyb

Sorry girls! I really am contrite....lol.....yeah I know they are all hard to resisit that's why we don't have dessert too often......I'm fighting the battle of the bulge now, if I ate dessert every night it would be the battle of the bulging bulges!

• Ondagrow

Nancy,

That dessert menu was not helpful AT ALL lol....

I am NOT GOING TO EAT... I AM NOT GOING TO EAT EITHER...LOL LOL...

• Alyson

Just to complicate tis discussion we use both 'tea' and 'dinner' however in our family they have always had slightly different meaning. Tea was the usual evening meal - meal and veges followed by things Chrissy listed and then a cup of tea. Sometimes one had dinner a little later, this was generally a much more formal meal. Dinner is at the dining room table with table set completely - we do eat at the table but it is not set completely wilth all the cutlery and china.

Just to be confusing tonight we had some hokey pokey icecream for pudding, very popular here, we actually don't have pudding every night.

Since chemo I drink more tea than coffee, previously I was a coffee adict having about 8-10 cups per day.  Now I limit myself to one or two cups of coffee a day.

Chrissy do you like coffee because its very hard to get a good cup in the US .We are very spoilt with great coffee in our part of the world. I was so disappointed withUS coffee.

• chrissyb

Alyson I do like coffee and like you before BC used to drink a lot but it made me feel nauseous when I was at my worst so I started drinking tea instead.  I still cannot drink instant coffee for the same reason and If I drink more than two cups in a day, I'm back to feeling nauseous again......so....I drink tea instead.  I look at it as being helpful as well as tea is a good anti oxidant.

• chrissyb

Nancy, I feel for you.....the battle of the bulge is hard enough but wow!  battling the bulging bulges....what can I say?    good luck?

• Alyson

Chrissy, I am so pleased some one else has trouble with instant coffee - it tastes like metal. After a second long black I can't have any more. My tea though is regarded by my family as a joke as I drink it so weak. Nevermind but it does mean I am getting the fluid I need.

i too have problems with weight - I blame the Femara.

• chrissyb

Nancy, pudding can be either bread pudding type or the creamy type.  We do a bread and butter pudding that is more baked custard than bread.  The bread is just the crispy topping........yes....it's very yummy!....lol

Coffee crash is not good!  That must have been a strong cuppa!  As for etiquette for down under, it's not that hard......it's just the differences in wording that could be confusing....lol   But we would teach you no ploblems....lol

• chrissyb

I'm with you about the Femara and weight.  I was on Arimidex to start and when the doc told me what meds I would be on after the progression the first question was wha are the side effects.  His first answer.....weight gain!   That's the one SE I could have done without.  I drink my tea medium strength and straight black....yummm....I probably drink about 10 - 12 mugs a day as well as clear water.  Got to keep flushing the toxins from meds from the  body and protect the kidneys!

• chrissyb

I'm looking forward to learning a few more difference and similarities when I come in September.  It should be a whole lot of fun!

• chrissyb
    Got to look after the organs as sooner or later I will be on chemo so I need to keep them as healthy as possible. Smile
  • Alyson

Nancy sounds just like my sort of coffee. Starbucks is yuck - sorry I hate coffee with things in it. I drink what we call 'a long black' which is an expresso with a little hot water on the side.

Pudding is just another word - very English - for dessert. You see down here we are actually bilingual. We understand US English as well as  English 'English' so it is fun to try to confuse people. It was amusing on one thread - my chemo thread when someone said the stuffed things into there 'fanny pack' Look up the term 'fanny' for UK, Aus or NZ you will see why we find it funny and why a class of students were horrified when an American teacher tells a class of girls to hurry up and get their fannies on the seats.

• chrissyb

The line up so far is.....New Jersey, Outer Banks NC, Hollywood FL, Shell Knob Missourri,  I think Colorado before LA and home.

• chrissyb

I'm hoping it will be a while yet before I go that road but I like to be prepared and of course I'll still be chatting up a storm!

• Alyson

We were in Denver May 2010, it was great I loved it. Also in PA which I thought was beautiful and very interesting.

• chrissyb

I think I'm going to need a whole heap of USB's to down load my camera to as it will be running hot.  I also think it's going to be difficult for people to actually see my face as it will be stuck behind that camera going clickity click, click, click.   So much to see so many to talk to...ooooo it's going to be so much fun!

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

Hello Nightowls, I'm from the deep U.S. south and we know exactly what "bring a plate or bring a dish" means. Isn't that funny? Also, when someone asks you to "make me a plate" it means put the food on the plate and bring it to me.

I dated a guy from Brisbane a long time ago and he made me mad on our second date and I didn't want to tell him to kiss my a**, so I told him to kiss my fanny. His face lit up and he said, "Really, can I?" He laughed for about 15 minutes before he told me the difference between US fannies and Aussie fannies. So funny! 

Also, I want hokeypokey ice cream!!!!!

• chrissyb

Hope you're ready to blush Nancy! ......lol

• chrissyb

Hey Rohanna, how you doing?

• chrissyb

You got it!....hahahahaha!  Your fanny packs we call bum bags for that reason....lol

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

Hi, everyone! My avatar is an inside joke with my daughter because I used the old "yank the football" routine on her dad!

Hi, Chrissy, I'm doing well. And you? Can't sleep so I thought I'd check in. Just sitting around on my fanny. Oops! I mean butt.