INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

tuna curry over rice OMG what a nice flavor----------Greg always would surprise me with it on a particularly bad work day------hmmmmmmmmmmmm. but in our book his writig looks like 1/4 cup ground pepper or 1/4 cap ground pepper-------fairly huge difference so ------I'll go to the old book and find out for sure.

going to sign off now b/c DS came home to be with Mom on the first fathers day that his dad won't be here -------so i want to be able to wake up in the morning . We had agreat dinner out together tonight L&H sas

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Nancy your layered thingy sounds great too but what does a graham cracker have in it so I can substitue something similar here.  We don't have graham crackers.

• chrissyb

Night Sheila....sleep well and enjoy your day tomorrow!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

My crumble topping

1 cup oats

1/2 cup sugar - brown or raw

70gms ground almond - about 2-3ozs

1 cup flour - I used spelt

4oz butter

1tsp nutmeg

blend together (in food processor) If too sticky add more dry ingredients

Crumble over stewed apples and cook until brown.

• chrissyb

We have some of the Nabisco products but not all.  We have something in the wafer line that is used for icecream and it is a plain very light crisp biscuit that just melts in your mouth.......would something like that be a good substitute?

• chrissyb

Ditto!!!!  that sound sooo good!  I'm going to the city on Wednesday so I'll get some spelt while I'm there.  Thanks!

• chrissyb

That would be a milk arrowroot cookie.....very plain but a little bit sweet.  Perfect

• Alyson

I used touse ordinary flour in crumble and have also added things such as muesli or cornflakes to make it crunchier but found the spelt flour and almonds gave it a nutty texture.

I have used the topping on cakes such as banana cake and then you don't need icing. Just crumble over and bake as usual.

• Alyson

We have vegemite as well and marmite, they are made from yeast extract - a black sticky spread which our children are given from the time they can have toast. I will have a marmite and cheese sandwich for lunch.

• chrissyb

Oh yes....lol...I love my vegemite!  It is a spead that is made from a yeast extract and is very high in all the B group vitamins.  To look at it is black but usually used sparingly on sadwiches and toast.  When my children were little I used to give them a broth made from vegemite and they loved it and it was soo good for them.  It can also be added to soups and stews to enrich the gravy.  To eat it on its own, it is very much an aquired taste if you haven't been bought up with it.  I know Meece from the boards eats it and loves it!

• Alyson

Its great if your gravy is too pale adds great colour (and taste)

• chrissyb

It's more Salty and definitely has a taste but it's hard to describe.  It's mage by Kraft so you should be able to get it.  I know that Kraft bought out one called cheesemite to soften the flavour and make it more acceptble to the American market.

• chrissyb

No probs........the cheesemite is a mix of vegemite and cream cheese.

• Alyson

The cheesemite hasn't done well here. We have division in the family over marmite and vegemite. Bea who is 2 and 1/2 can pick the difference. It is an aquired taste I am sure.

• chrissyb

Night Nancy.....sleep well!   i'll look forward to the recipes.  Oh the tamarind is as sour as and yes I agree that one really is an aquired taste but it does do well in some recipes.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi

Good morning ladies Chrissy I'm going to try your biscuit and jam thing and surprise Ds I will be back

• sas-schatzi

Bummer chrissy all the eggs are hard boiled. I was so looking forward to that this morning. I can picture it, smell, taste it, and now can't cook it. well I guess I'll go back to bed --------got out of bed special oh well

• chrissyb

Why did you boil eggs Sheila?  Were you trying to cook the Dumplings?  Oh....bright light just went on....lol.....I get it now...lol... the eggs you have in your fridge are all hard boiled.......talk about slow....duh!  Sorry Shiela you'll have to give them a try later.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy just got back from shopping.

Eggs-------- i keep some hardboiled as a snack.  Off to try it.

• sas-schatzi
    Chrissy you write your tuna curry and i''ll chime in Cool
  • sas-schatzi

Chrissy the dumplings are to die for ---thank you-----talk about simpleand delish

• Alyson

Hope Chrissy is sound asleep at present. 6 am in her part of the world. I ust try the dumplings.

Just after 8 on Monday morning and saw you were on. I must get dressed as I take GD to Mainly Music this morning. Hope you have had a good Sunday.

• sas-schatzi

Judith-----when you mention about the breakthrough. It must be in re:  foob pain improving and swelling less--- thanks. Wearing  a firm sports bra 24/7 and sleeping with head of bed up around 45 degrees. It's not perfect , but i'll take improved.  Definitely, tell the difference if I change the routine.

Odd though one of the first things I said to PS was I didn't want to be too big b/c I never wanted to wear a bra again. So he puts in 850cc's.The very max.  DUH ----There heavy and I guess thats why they fall in the axilla.

Also thanks for putting that thread in my favorites or directing me to it

Any you chicks up to night have a good sleep when it comes.

• chrissyb

Hi ya all!!!  About the dumplings......they are best eaten freshly cooked or they go tough.....I should have said that before, sorry girls.   To adjust the recipe just down size your quantity but always use the egg.  If you upsize add another egg.

Shieal, I saw you posting so thought I'd pop in here.

Catch you later.  Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• sas-schatzi

Believe it or not Chrissy I'm still up. Thanks for verifying on the dumplings. Maybe we should change the site name to insomniacs and recipe exchange?

• chrissyb

Sounds good to me....lol!

• chrissyb

Hi Nancy!  sounds like you are having some real sleep issues.  Do you take Melatonin?  I do and it works a treat for me.

Chrissy

• chrissyb

Thanks Nancy I'll check  my emails shortly.  Melatonin is produced naturally in the body but after menopause for some reason the production slows down and we end up with sleep problems.  To answer your question it doesn't interfere with the AI's and I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that some of the girls on T are taking it also.  Being a naturally produced thing in the brain I doubt it would have an impact on the meds.  Mine was prescribed for me by my doc and he knows I'm on the AI's.  It's not available over the counter here in Aus. unfortunately.

Chrissy

• sas-schatzi

Nancy still there

• sas-schatzi

Nancy