INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Imagine the chatter if wee were in the same room

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Got myself a yummy red pear....I'm good to go!

• Viranyani
    Viranyani Member Posts: 15

I'm home from the pubmed library adn very sleepy--hey everyone, maybe this is our answer!

OK, here's what I found re flaxseed...lots of papers about invitro experiments with mice, but cautiously optimistic about benefits.

A  positive thing to check out--one of these studied the interactions w/ tamoxifen (it increased the benefit), and another w/ soy intake (it modulated the risk...) 

So here are the references:

+Cancer Res. 2011 Jan 1;71(1):51-60. Epub 2010 Nov 19.
    Tamoxifen, flaxseed, and the lignan enterolactone increase stroma- and cancer cell-derived IL-1Ra and decrease tumor angiogenesis in estrogen-dependent breast cancer.
    Lindahl G, Saarinen N, Abrahamsson A, Dabrosin C.

+Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010 Oct;54(10):1414-21.
    Flaxseed oil reduces the growth of human breast tumors (MCF-7) at high levels of circulating estrogen.
    Truan JS, Chen JM, Thompson LU.

+J Nutr. 2009 Nov;139(11):2061-6. Epub 2009 Sep 23.
    Flaxseed and pure secoisolariciresinol diglucoside, but not flaxseed hull, reduce human breast tumor growth (MCF-7) in athymic mice.
    Chen J, Saggar JK, Corey P, Thompson LU.

+ Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007 Jul;51(7):845-56.
    Can the combination of flaxseed and its lignans with soy and its isoflavones reduce the growth stimulatory effect of soy and its isoflavones on established breast cancer?
    Power KA, Thompson LU.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....nite everyone! May you sleep well!

• chrissyb

This pear is so juicy that the juice is running down my fingers!  Just as well I bought a serviette with me....lol.  Nancy, I did check tea while I was in the kistchen and you are right it smells and looks YUMMY!!!   Hurry up DH I can't wait too much longer!!!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

We just had a power surge--------computer had to reboot-------worries me there have been about half dozen in last few months. Hate to pay an electrician to do a system inspection, But it's better than worrying.

Your soccer team, I remember seeing that in the world cup or was it in the movie about Mandella? It was very impressive. It is intense. AND challenging.

• Alyson

What time DH get in? Mine usually doesn't arrive until 6 - 6.30 but with today being Saturday we ate about 6pm

• chrissyb

Nancy, isn't it nice to be able to chat to people of like mind who you can cover any topic under the sun and walk away feeling good!!  I like it a lot!!!!

• sas-schatzi

Viran are you still there? Bummer--------if anyone sees viran before I do. We need to ask/ tell her how to make a hyperlink.  This woman could be a wealth of info---------the energy -----i remember it so well ----of days of past ---what fun.

• Viranyani

have to admit i am...loving the photo of the all blacks fom alyson

• chrissyb

Alyson, he usually comes home about 5.00- 5.30 but inreality it can be anytime he chooses.  The good thing is, that the shop is literally a two minute walk from the house so it's not far away.....lol   I guess he comes home when the bugs start reminding him it's time for food!

• chrissyb

Thanks Viran for that info.

• sas-schatzi

Viran are you stil here?

• sas-schatzi

I know me tooo

• chrissyb

Are you heading to bed Shiela?

• Alyson

haven't got a US clock on my laptop but must be late Shiela?

• sas-schatzi

Well I was hoping she stuck for a few minutes, but I know we can find her. That took alot of work. Those abstracts can be killers on a tired brain.

• monroy01
    monroy01 Member Posts: 15

hello ladies...

im new here... my mom is sick... she was diagnosed in early february this year with bone mets. she had a hip replacement early may... she has been on faslodex and aredia since then... everything seemed like she was doing better till the last three days my dad said that she wasnt being herself. she was scheduled for her first bone scan today since feb and they also did blood work. well drs reviewed the scan and blood work and she had to get admitted to the hospital here in dallas for hypercalcemia and something about a level of creatinine (about her kidneys they explained) about being at 1.6. worst part about it was that the drs said that her cancer had spread to more bones. and they are going to have to get a ct scan done to see about any organs being involved. in feb there wasnt. I am the one researching this for her and trying to get her more involved. Problem is that she only speaks spanish and shes 64 so she cant get on here to chat with you guys... im here at the hospital now and cant sleep. I follow a lot of u and have been since she was diagnosed in feb... (she was initially diagnosed in 2002 with only a mastectomy done)... now its come back. anyway... i see u ladies help each other... thought maybe i couldl get some advice... how bad does this sound? how can i give my mom hope??? she only knows what she is told and Im trying my hardest to get her in the know about her cancer.

• chrissyb

Tea time is fast approaching Nancy....not long now!

• Viranyani

SAS, you still there...I was just rying to catch up with this thread...yes, hyper link instructions, please...maybe send me a PM? I should try to sleep!

• sas-schatzi

WEll it's 0348 . I'll sign off when ya'll do . It's me and schatzi. So, getting up late is okay

• anumacha
    anumacha Member Posts: 61

I was always the sis in black, but I was adopted with very silky black reddish hair. They always knew what I was wearing, but I had lots of pretty earrings and my hobby is making lacey pretty shawls. I just banished the cats from my dressing room and kept lint rollers every where the front door bin, laundry, purse, briefcase, car, truck, desk and whomever I dated had to put up with a lint roller not my toothbrush! Now it is a good day if I make it out without a cat brushing against me!

• sas-schatzi

MonoRoy-----see your post rereading it give me a couple of minutes

• chrissyb

Hi Monroy, sorry that you have a reason for being here but here is a good place to be.  With your mum so far only having the bone mets, that is a good thing as they are the easiest to treat overall.  What you didn't tell us about her diagnoses is wether she is Estrogen/Progesterone positive or negative and what her status is for Her2 + or -.  It's quite important to know these as they will give us a better idea of whats going on with her and so be able to give you correct information. Please let us know so we can help.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• chrissyb

Nancy, schatzi is Shiela's dog.

• chrissyb

Wow!!!   Here comes the rain that has been threatening all day.......hard and heavy!

Hi Ana....love cats and I have two a long hair and a short and if you visit my house, expect to take cat hair home with you....lol!

• Alyson

Hi Monroy, you will get lots of great answers here and on the Stage 4 thread.

Anumacha, I have to watch where my ginger cat sleeps cause they really show on black as do grey hairs from the other cat who likes the computer chair.

• monroy01
    monroy01 Member Posts: 15

Thank you for the replies... she is estrogen positive and her 2 negative. but she didnt respond to the faslodex which is the hormone therapy.

• chrissyb

Monroy, thanks for that extra information but what about Progesterone?  Is that also +?   There are other hormonals available but her doc may decide she needs a chemo to knock back the progression to start with and then put her on one of the other hormonals.  I have bone mets and am responding well to them.  Don't loose heart as sometimes it just takes a little time to get thing under control.  As with eveything to do with this disease, a lot is trial and error.

Love n hus.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi

Mono roy-------this is a tough thing to say at this time of night , I am a nurse with few answers to give you. I know you are feeling desparate right now. They best thing that you can do is to get some sleep. The hypercalcemia is associated with bone mets , but you already know that. Her creatinine is up , but not way out of range. You can't change it tonight. You need to be fresh in the morning to talk with the docs. If you exhaust yourself you will be less able to talk with them , let alone be able to come up with the questions you want answered. Even if you asked to speak with her nurse , they couldn't give you much info b/c one by the rules they aren't allowed too. AND the info/data is not complete. It is the docs in this situation that need to give you answers. AND even they can't until all the tests are done. Hopefully she will be able to have them done tomorrow. ---posting , but will continue

• chrissyb

Nancy you will be pleased to know that DH has arrived home and is hungry so Tea time has arrived!!!  Now you can go to sleep....lol!!!!