INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Souer KHol????????Australian cooking is influenced by which countries?

The other thing about cooking a big meal  when new ---is to get it all to finish at the same time

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

I wonder if a fan like that would work to push some of the warm air from my lounge down into my kitchen.  The lounge is small and sometimes the fire is just too robust and it gestd very hot but at the bottom of my stair where the kitchen is gets really cold.  I'm thinking a fan like that in the door way at the top of the stairs just might pdraw and push some of the warm down there....  Thanks Shiela, I was wondering how I was going to achieve that!

• sas-schatzi
    Cool or rather warm----goodWink
  • sas-schatzi

Nancy-----I'm trying to get the electric bill down------and doing a pretty good job. Temp set at 80 this last month------bill was 153.oo---last year it was 299.00 and the year before 314.00. Iwas using box fans but they weren't pushing enough air. I had this fan in the garage, after a toilet overflowed years ago. Gave it a try and it really get the air circulating better than the box fans and overhead fans. I likely will get one more for the front part of the house

• chrissyb

Shiela, Australian cooking is influenced by the world and I mean that literally.  To begin with and up until the mid 50's, the Australian menu was very English and it wasn't till the Gov. started to build the Snowy River Dam (biggest dam in Aus) and they needed more workers and there were a lot of immigrant from Europe and Italy that our cuisine started to change as their influence began to take hold.   Then in the 70's we started getting a lot of Asian immigrants so their way and tastes also started to influence.  We have a tendancy to try something and adapt it to our own taste but the influences now are literally world wide.  Mexican, Japaese, Chinese, Malay, Indian, Nth African, French and most European countries have all contributed is some way.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164

TL we have my god daughters boyfried staying with us over summer, he is from Kansas he saw me eating  Vegemite on toast, he was quite interested until I presented him with a cracker with Vegemite on it .... you'd have thought I was offering him poison, he kept sniffing at it and in the end said "oh no I'm not eating that" he's a massive football player but unerneath it all he's a big wussss.

• chrissyb

Cheryl, I think that is the reaction of most peole who haven't grown up with vegemite!

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy we have much the same as what you have described, but some of the recipes you talk about, I'm suprised we haven't got them too. But we really only strted to diverge from standard meat potatoes and veggies in the seventies. Most other cooking was at specialty restaurants or sectors of town, like Greek Town and Mexican Village in Detroit.

Have to change LE bothering me be back

• thats-life-
    thats-life- Member Posts: 169

i just had afternoon tea...2 prunes and a cup of tea..that may beat your popcorn nancy :)  i have been gaining 2 kilos every month when weighed at the oncs office...has anyone else experienced this? maybe the tamox? i have never had a weight issue, always bordered on 52kg -56kg...a lightweight 

• hbcheryl

Chrissy I think you're right.

• thats-life-

lol hbcheryl...vegemite would be weird if one had never seen it

• chrissyb

TL it is the bain of everywomans life that when the estrogen goes down the weight goes up.  With hard work and eating like a bird you may, and I say may, be able to control it somewhat but for your sanity sake don't bank on it.  It will plateau at some point and stay there....that's what mine did.

• thats-life-

i remember a hungarian chef who was my neighbour and also a health nut, tried to feed my baby daughter concentrated algea once on a teaspoon..i was freaking out, trying to be polite, it was black goo on a teaspoon...lol

• sas-schatzi

Well I think vegetarian food got a very bad rep when first introduced. We are so stuck on our meat. I'm not-------but the usa diet is heavy into meat. What influenced vegimite in AUS. and exactly whats in it.

• hbcheryl

Chrissy that is so true, I tell all the girls at my gym, get the weight off before menopause starts cause once it sets in it's an uphill losing battle, I'm going to eat a piece of chocolate now!!!!

• chrissyb

Algea woudln't have hurt her and she probably wouldn't have had much anyway as it tastes terrible.  I tried it once and never again!!!

• thats-life-

sas, there is nothing in vegemite...it is weird..yeast extract, salt, water...?who knows..its black and we spread it on toast...

• sas-schatzi
    I did a complex carbohydrate low animal protein diet for my dad when he was on dialysis. Lotus root soup with seaweed------Stephen about 24 months,leaned back and said----do good momLaughing
  • chrissyb

Shiela, vegemite is a yeast extract paste that is highly nutritious and used as a spead or can be used as a flavouring for soups, stews and casseroles.  It is very high in all the B group vitamins and is black to look at.  The tase is unusual and hard to describe all I can say is it is very salty to the palate.  Most Australians are given it on a piece of toast as soon as we are old enough to hold on to it as it is so good for you.

• sas-schatzi

Seriuosly-yeast salt water. strange----no binder whatsoever? How does it stay together and not just crumble?

• thats-life-

that was just a snack nancy...im not trying to lose weight yet, im eating like a horse actually, another 'new' for me....:)

• sas-schatzi

So, what country did it come from? The High B is in the yeast yes?-------Has it been studied over time related to health etc. How do people with heart problems do on it?

• chrissyb

Hang on a sec and I'll go get my jar out of the cupboard and see what is actually listed as the ingredients.

• hbcheryl

Nancy, I have a friend who lives in Hermosa, she lives on one of those streets that runs off The Strand and she has a rooftop deck so lovely up there, hope you had a good time.

• thats-life-

ha ha chrissy, i just did the same thing...i'll let you list the ingredients

• sas-schatzi

When I did the diet for dad I was committed to following the whole regimen b/c western diet was killing him. Miso soup is pretty high in salt content, but he did great on the diet. about 5 years later the standard dialysis diet was a form of the diet I gave dad, but still left in too much animal protein

• chrissyb

Here we go........Yeast extract, mineral salts and malt extract.  Thats it! as well it lists the B vitamins a well as folate.

• thats-life-

hope you dont mind a pic:

• chrissyb

TL, great minds think alike....lol!

• sas-schatzi

Nancy the fan is 12x 12 x 10 small and you can choose thdirection, it moved enough air last nite pointing up at my ceiling fan that it was rotating it