• thats-life-
    thats-life- Member Posts: 169

i admire you sas, well done on the diet

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164

Yummmmmmmm

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Ahh the Malt extract is the binder. How much Sodium?

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Great pic TL of the vegemite!  Made me want to go to the bakery and get some crusty white bread (which I don't usually eat anymore) and have a pig out!   Mind you if I did that I would be looking for the ant acids all night.........wah!!!!

• hbcheryl

Oh yeah Chrissy fresh white bread and vegemite is "the best"

• sas-schatzi

Thanks Tl. it was an experience--------His BUn and creatinine and electrolytes so, improved , but after three weeks he said I want my meat and potatoes. His choice.

• chrissyb

Shiela the sodium content is 3489mg/100g

• thats-life-

173mg per average serve...3450mg per 100grams..sodium..that probably puts it in the naughty basket. edited to add: chrissy, vic vegemite must be different to S.A. vegemite!

• chrissyb

TL, it is high in the salt content but you cant eat too much in one sitting so that I think is the safe guard and most people don't have the 173mg per serve, they have a lot less.

• sas-schatzi

Well I forget alot b/c this was 1987. Miso was like vegemite it was used in alot of the dishes, Bancha twig tea, Seaweed, lotus root, daikon radish.Foods very strange to us. But now you can find most all of it in standard groceries

Vegeimite lookes like apple butter.

Why did it get to be a staple in the diet-------DUH can you tell I like food history

• chrissyb

TL have you ever seen those little sachet packs that you get in hotel and motels of the vegemite?  Well as much as I love my vegemite, half of one of those is my serve.

• hbcheryl

Yes Nancy HB is nice I live about a mile inland from the beach and we're lucky as we get a lovely ocean breeze here and I get to drive PCH every day to work between Huntington and Newport.

• thats-life-

yes chrissy, thats why i chose a pic with not too much on the toast..

i wonder sas...how did it happen that its one of the first things we put on a baby's toast, or dip a rusk in it for them to suck on....

maybe it started in england...like marmite, bonox?

nancy: it is crazy how much im eating

• chrissyb

It has been around in Australia since 1923 and it has always been relatively cheap per serve and tasty.  It's also versatile as you can have it with a range of other foods on sandwiches as well as using it to flavour other things.  It's really a convenience food in a jar that happens to be the worlds best source of the B group vitamins all in one place.

• sas-schatzi

Okay whats a rusk, marmite, and bonox?

• chrissyb

When my kids were babies I used to make a vegemite broth with bread as a quick easy meal for them that I knew was good.

• thats-life-

hahahaha sas

• hbcheryl

and it has a shelf life of a kizillion years.  I cleaned out my office kitchen last week and I found a jar that expired in 2004 --- still tasted okay to me!!

• thats-life-

a rusk is a rock hard bread stick type of thing that baby's suck on...maybe chrissy can give a more intelligent answer lol...bonox is a sticky substance like vegemite that you disolve in water to make an instant soup,marmite is vegemite's competition, slightly different taste  lol

• hbcheryl

Nancy I work in Costa Mesa, go up the hill just after you hit Newport but I have customers in Newport down on the peninsula so I'm down there all the time, only I hate it right now as there is sooo much traffic, what can you expect, it's summer, it's the beach.

• thats-life-

believe it or not we also have normal fruit and veges haha

• chrissyb

A rusk is a dried hardened breadlike stick that babies can chew on when they are teething.  It takes a long time of sucking and chew before they are softened so keep baby happy for ages......lol

Marmite and Bonox are two similar things as vegemite made by the English.  Bonox is more a thick liquid that is used to made a broth or for gravies, soups and stews.  Marmite is a spread like vegemite but the marmite is not made the same nor does it have the same flavour.  If you are a vegemite fan, you won't usually like marmite. 

• chrissyb

Yup that's the one we were talking about Nancy.....do you remember the definition?

• chrissyb

The words you were reading just a bit ago are not slang words...lol....they are products.

• chrissyb

You got it!!!!

• sas-schatzi

Well I just googled B---couldn't remember the major reason it was identified as a need--Beriberi.

All the symptoms we have with chemo drugs are the same symptoms as b deficiency-------so, Makes me wonder if the english and the Aussies have identified it as a need during chemo. The americans wouldn't look in that direction.

But I will----------I take a full range of b supplement a day and have for years. But it says it's not absorbed the same as a natural food--------so I may be looking for vegimite

• chrissyb

Sheila, what is you address and I'll send you one.  Just PM it to me.

• hbcheryl

Carmageddon is not going to affect me in any way and if I lived in the valley this weekend I wouldn't be leaving my house not for nothin' no way.  Can you imagine all the traffic that's going to be on the Canyons, have you ever driven over the Canyons, they have verrrrrry expensive houses and windy windy two lane roads this weekend is going to be either horrible or every one has enough warning and will stay home.  Kind of like the Olympics in '84 I worked in Hollywood then and because everyone staggered it was the best couple of weeks of commuting.  Want to make bets that skateboards and bike riders are going to crash onto the 405, too tempting, miles and miles of closed freeway.  Me I'll be in the back yard working in the garden or reading a book by the pool.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Hi yu lot wish I could stay and chat but am about to go to an orchestra concert. You lot have been busy so it was a quick read. Saw comments about marmite etc. Marmite is made in NZ and is different to the UK marmite.

Will check back when I get home but it will probably just be the Aussies still chatting.

• chrissyb

Enjoy the concert Alyson!!!