INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

The clock may say noon, but it feels like the middle of the night for me. I'm down in "Old Cape Cod" where, I was looking forward to spending a couple of days with my sis in law and 6 year old great niece. I got here late yesterday afternoon. Liv had been chomping at the bit for me to get here so we could go to the beach. We had a great hour or so there, out to dinner -  where Nana taught her to play tic, tac, toe and I I taught her to play dots and hang man, then a little shopping where, Nana bought her a new dress, and finally home to bed to get some rest for todays full day plan of fun, frolic and friendship bracelet making.

Then the thunder storm started. Poor Livy came into the dining room crying, clutching her blankie, complaining of an earache and trembling at each flash and crash. Nana tried everything, cuddling, baby aspirin, calling mommy and daddy, a popsicle, computer game - she'd quiet for a bit and then start up again. Finally at about midnight when she could no longer bear one more minute away from her mommy and daddy - "I can't take this anymore," - we loaded her in the car , with Auntie in the back seat holding her hand, and drove 130 miles to take her home, then 130 miles back to the Cape. Got back and into bed at about 7 a.m. Just got up - sis in law is still sleeping.

Even though it didn't turn out to be the  3 day get away we had planned,  I mangaged to cram quite a bit into the few hours Liv and I had together. I'm still demanding a do over, but probably not so far away from mommy and daddy. You, know when I look back through my 17+ year journey with BC, I know these were the moments I was fighting to be here for. It's worth the fight.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849

Hi ChrissyB! I got in the shower last night, and it turned into a 2 hour bath....lots of hot water and bubbles and quiet - I think I went to bed around 2 am.....not so good for work this morning...lol.

Our weather has been brutal and hot - nothing is growing green, our lawns look like hay...and when we came home at 9:30 pm last night - the temp was 99 degrees.....thank goodness I have a new air conditioner in the house.

Health wise, I've finished treatment!  I still have daily reminders of radiation - I think all my hair follicles burned and made me "polka dotted."  I see the RO today for my follow up.  I get my medi port out next Wednesday and have my first three month check in August with scans.  My spirits are good, I've learned what's important in life, and I realized no I can't live forever, so I need to do as much as can and savor all the flavors of life! 

Hauntie~ what a beautiful expression - I can't wait to recognize those moments too!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

Hauntie, i know how those storms in Cape Cod can be so scary.. i was a kid in Falmouth; spent every summer there w/my Nana and Pa/   yes, i so understand. i did chemo. bmx for my grands, also. hope i have as good a run as you've had!!you give us relative newbies hope.. im 3 yrs out. a long way to go to catch up to you!!!.............3jays

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568

Awww Hauntie, I like how you wrote that...

As a mom I could totally picture the scene.  Sorry you didn't get more play time.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164

So I go to bed last night and you start talking cream cakes, dang I forgot how much I loved sponge cake chocolate sponge, raspberry jam and cream, ooooeeee.  T_L hope you had an easy day today, I know it must have been hard.  Nancy don't laugh Jet Blue offered $4 flights Long Beach/Burbank - they sold out.  Tonight I drove up to Pasadena which is 60 miles from here and all along every freeway I drove on there were massive signs about the 405 closing so everybody is pre-warned.  Hauntie that is true love driving her home cause she waned Mommy, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762

Dang, sisters, don't want to join this group but have been staying up way too late--xo

• ktym
    ktym Member Posts: 673

I've watched but hadn't joined, maybe because I didn't want to admit to how often (read nightly) I'm awake in the Wee Hours.  Problem is days I don't have to work early in the morning, no biggie, get a little work done then usually can sleep a few more hours.  Days I need to work early I get back to sleep about the time my alarm goes off. 

• lovemyfamilysomuch

Feeling kind of alone with this bc stuff lately.  In spite of wonderful fam and friends support

• ktym
    ktym Member Posts: 673

I definitely hit a point when everyone around me needed it to be done in the past and buried, and I feel like I'm still living it all the time

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi Girls!  Welcome to the Wee Small Hours thread Lovemyfamilysomuch and Kmnd and any other newbie that I may have missed....sorry brain has hic ups sometimes....lol

Anum so glad that one shot did the kitty good and sent that UTI on it's way and he is feeling a whole lot better.  Are you taking any supliments to help with the SE's of the AI's?  If you want to know which ones I take just PM me and I'll list them and what they do for you.

Awe Hauntie, its a shame you din't get to spend the three days with your GD as you planned but little ones can be great away from mommie until it gets dark and if it was stormy I can understand what she was feeling.  Good on you for having the love to drive her home......you would be amazed at the amount of people who wouldn't do that...no matter what.  At least you can still have a redo and as you say, a little closer to home.  She will be willing to stay over longer as she gets a little older.

Gina....YAY!!!  you found it!!!   I've learned what's important in life, and I realized now I can't live forever, so I need to do as much as can and savor all the flavors of life!   Right on!!!!!!!

Kmnd those sleepless wee hours can really be a curse.   I hate waking in the wee hours and just laying in bed listening to the  quiet of the house and the noises of the night.  That's what this thread is for, so you can come and talk until you are ready to sleep once again.

Lovemyfamilysomuch, we all feel that way on this journey and no matter how good our support is, they cannot quite understand the emotional devistation that happens when we hear the words 'you have cancer'.  It can make us feel very isolated in our own world as if we are sitting on the outside looking in as well as trying to keep everything 'normal' for everyone else.   Hard........but that is where BCO comes into play as it is here that all the people we converse with do know and do understand every little thing as we have been there and often are still there.  Come join this thread anytime you like.

Love n hugs to all.  Chrissy

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534

Well good morning in the wee hours of the night from Far West Texas.  Have not been on here since my last chemo and I could not sleep because of the steriods.  Where here I am again, 2nd chemo down yesterday and things went real well with the first.  No nausea at all, a little stomach distress (GAS) off and on for about 7 days.  Found ginger tea worked good.  Hoping this round will be good also. I have lost 5 1/2 pounds and ONC told me no time to diet, I told him I was not dieting, that my appetite was just pretty small, but was eating healthy and the days I feel real good eating more. I have not been drinking any wine, so that has taken several calories away.  He said I could have a couple of glasses in the evening, I told him it does not even sound good.  I do love wine.  Isn't that crazy. Probably a good thing right now.

Love my Family, know where you are comming from.  Kmmd you also. 

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568

This is such a nice thread!

I was up waiting for my teen daughter to get home from the Harry Potter movie - now it's time to try to get some sleep!

• chrissyb

Hi Mommarch so good to hear that you didn't do too badly with your first round and here you are already done your second.  Ginger is great for settling the tum when you get the iks and the bloating.....you done good girl!!!!

Ang glad you like the thread.  Have a good sleep!!!

• lovemyfamilysomuch

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is a very lonely experience in the middle of the night especially.  Thanks for understanding. My son went to 2:45 Harry Potter so who know when he will be home.

I will try to pray my rosary and ask for blessed help in dealing with these feelings.  I do feel surrounded by sisters, thank you so much! xo

• chrissyb

Lovemyfamilysomuch sometimes just talking about things helps and if you wish to, I am here as it is still early in Australia. 

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154
    chrissy, could you pm the list of supplements you take to me too? I took Femara and had horrible joint pains, they switched me to Arimidex and now I have constant nausea. Arrrrgh!!! Yell
  • chrissyb

Sure Rohanna, will do.

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154

Thanks, Chrissy. The AI's are not my friends.

• MRDRN
    MRDRN Member Posts: 177

Hi there, I like this thread too when I wake up too early in pain :( 
    Chrissy your posts are soo positive and you have stage 4?  What treatment are you getting right now?  Where do you have mets?  Hope you don't mind me asking but I was wondering since you did not have positive nodes at dx.  

My teen wanted to go out last night and I said no...and thank you Jesus, Dad was on board with me.  I get so worried about these teen years.....it is hard to let go and allow them to make mistakes.  The next year is going to be a challenge.  

• chrissyb

Hi MRDRN nice to see you! 

Yes, I am Stage IV and at the moment I'm on Femara and I'm doing well on it.  So far the mets are just to my bones and I'm hoping it will stay there for a whole lot longer yet...lol.   I don't mind you asking at all.  Nope, no positive nodes but there was vascular invasion and add that to having an allergic reaction to the chemo and tamoxifen, from the get go, for me it was always when not if it came back.  I'm just so happy that my body has allowed me to take the Femara.

I am so glad that I am well passed the teen years with children and I am now watching my DD with teen boys........so glad it's not me....lol but I guess each age has it's challenges.  It sounds like yours is off to college next year?  Good luck with that one!!!

• anumacha
    anumacha Member Posts: 61

Hi Rohanna, Arimidex I take it at night...but I cannot do fried foods and what tastes good today... I may not want to eat the next. Crackers with no liquids for 30 min  helps.Sometimes emetrol otc helps or just something with sugar or honey no corn syrup or artificial stuff.

I got biten by a spider, yep probably poisonous. I did my antihistamines and went through chilling and sweating for 12 hrs. I did the sensible thing and called ER. They are not equipped to treat poisonous bites! They were laughing...said if I was concerned I could come in.It is comtained to a pin head area now!

I have to cook some chicken for sandwiches...maybe I will make bread stuffing. The cats want the broth and chicken!

Chrissy I will PM my supplement list, I started back on the one and I feel less foggy and tired.The bone pain has something to do with the nerves & circulation...I wear those bed jackets to bed even under my coat so I dont have the bulk in the sleeves. I also use a heating blanket on low, it really help with the snow and cold damp days. The ONC told me it will start to lessen as I walk more and it moves to new areas, but it is finetuning meds. I think we now have my solution of pain meds and anti inflammatory meds where I need them.

• chrissyb

Hi Anum, I look forward to seeing what you are on.....its always good to compare and see where we cross over.  I'm wondering if you are taking some of the B group but I'll see when you PM your list.

I can't belive you got bit by a spider!!!   Do you know what kind?  Were you in the garden?   Oh here I go again.......lol.....madam thousand questions here.....lol  I never go to the garden unless I'm wearing gloves!   Most important particularly with Lymphodema as I don't want anything that may give me an infection there.  Here in Aus we have a centre that we can ring incase of spider or snake bite which, if you can describe the offending arachnid or snake, they can identify and tell you what you need to do and also the nearest place where you can get the appropriate treatment.  I guess that is because we have so many of the poisonous critters here!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Morning Chrissy and all the new people

Ang7 glad you find this a happyplace to come to

Anu where are you- In USA you can call the 800# for poison contol. Spider bites not only can be poisonous they are dirty. Did you see the varmit. Sneaky biters.  Should see someone quick. Can you see two holes for the bite. One whole it was something else. Get the spy glass out. Good luck. Stay on top of it.

LMFSM...hey sorry the insomnisa getting you too.  SOmeones here most night. Chrissy holds down the fort though.

Back too bed. L&H"s

• chrissyb

Hi and bye Shiela!  Hope you get some good sleep happening!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi

Nancy &TL---It just came to me-ahhh a moment of insight. You both can't stop chasing windmills. Man from La Mancha--Don Quixote. Fighting battles that can't be won, but he feels he must slay that dragon, though the dragon is an old windmill and he is quite deluded, but his faithful squire Pablo protects him from harm (the mods are Pablo)

It is a story that is great and sad at the same time. If you have never seen it, you must. Better even watch it several times. Each time you will more identify with Don Quixote. To me he is the epitome of hope against evil. Every time he is thwarted, he gets back on his faithful steed, in search of another dragon. To right the unrightable wrong. Found the lyrics below.

It's one of the best musicals of the last century. That is why you are drawn too the threads that do you harm and others, you are trying to right the unrightable wrong.  See the movie. Likely in your library, netflik. It will give you a sad , but healthy overview of why you feel compelled to try and correct what is wrong. Give it a go. L&H&P's

Musical "Man of La Mancha"
    The Impossible Dream Lyrics

Lyrics by Joe Darion
    In this song, Quixote explains his quest and the reasons behind it ... in doing so,
    he captures the essence of the play and its philosophical underpinnings.
    (For me, it is absolutely magical.)

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
    To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
    To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
    To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
    To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
    To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
    To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
    To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest, to follow that star ...
    No matter how hopeless, no matter how far ...
    To fight for the right, without question or pause ...
    To be willing to march into Hell, for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest,
    That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm,
    when I'm laid to my rest ...
    And the world will be better for this:
    That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
    Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
    To reach ... the unreachable star ...

• sas-schatzi

Tl today you grieve your friend whose untimely death, makes you question your own. The words of William Wordsworth (1770-1850) May help.

What though the radiance which was once so bright
    Be now for ever taken from my sight,
    Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind;
    In the primal sympathy
    Which having been must ever be;
    In the soothing thoughts that spring
    Out of human suffering;
    In the faith that looks through death,
    (abridged)

• sas-schatzi

New thread on social security questions answered by a lawyer whose wife has BC. Knows his stuff------posting on a bunch of threads---------go to financial forum

Can't make link work without trouble, not up for it.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

HI :)

• chrissyb

Hi Seyla, how you doing tonight?

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy and sheila Howdy---------sheila