Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Adhesive TAPE - help need to find non-allergic

Options

Comments

• violet_1
    violet_1 Member Posts: 335
    Options

Hi All, I'm new to this thread!

I am also highly allergic to adhesives. I can tolerate things for about 24 hrs...but by 48, I break out in horrible rashes. I recently had COBAN wrap (pretend Ace bandage type wrap) on my leg cuz I had something removed from my shin...

Doc. was thinking this would be better to TRY instead of tapes...OMG! I broke out in a horrid rash on my whole L. side of leg. I HAD to remove it the 2nd day and it actually burned my skin & left a shrapnel-looking rash...CRAZY! I took pics...Wink now I know to use a reg Ace bandage w/ gauze underneath the entire Coban OR, better, just only use cloth real ACE bandage to hold things in place.

Don't KNOW if I'm in fact, allergic to LATEX? Should I get tested? I have my upcoming implant exchange surgery...

Thanks!

• Trickling
    Trickling Member Posts: 295
    Options

For years, I did not know I had to tell medical staff that I broke out with a terrible rash if I used latex gloves for washing/cleaning. I simply decided to avoid latex gloves.

I already had had surgeries (fortunately without ill effects - probably due to the hospital's policy of non-latex use while operating). So how did I find out that latex allergies were NOTHING TO MONKEY AROUND WITH???

I was being edied for another surgery, when the resident actually mentioned latex as an allergy. He did so with a keen interest rather than muttering some list. Hey! Thanks to whoever must have stressed the importance of verifying allergies to latex. Anyway, I said I thought I was allergic because . . . rash . . . washing dishes. WELL! Did I or did I not get this big lecture about the dangers of latex, especially during operations. Believe me he obviously made it emphatic enough that the other medical staff getting me ready were meant to hear about it.

Thanks to him, I continue to readily share with anyone and encourage them to double check about latex. Someone posted: even in hospitals with a non-latex policy, there may be latex items still floating around if for no other reason than the huge supply of materials in the system. In some cases situations not involving the operating room may not come under the policy. Furthermore, there is a post on this thread about a patient having to aggressively argue with a doctor who chose not to supply latex free gloves in his office. She was not talking about a hundred years ago.

Ergo, in your case, I would at the very least make it a point (in and out of the operating room) to state that "I think I am allergic to latex." If you want more assurance, maybe just contacting your doctor about his opinion regarding what happened during your elastic wrapping would enable you to replace "I think" with "I am" without the need for a testing of the same.

BTW, even after it is in BIG LETTERS ON YOUR MEDICAL CHART you simply have to remind staff each and every time they go to apply whatever it is that your body doesn't tolerate. It can be embarrassing and increasingly burdensome but remind REMIND remind. Some of us put signs on ourselves.

One person shared that they learned the hard way that an extra sign on the bed was not enough to remind night time staff as she, the allergic patient, slept. I remember an instance when there was a big sign above my bed NOT to inject my left arm. A medical staff person zoomed into the room on rounds and, though I was awake, was ready to inject my left arm ALMOST before I even realized what was happening.

>>> GOOD LUCK! Get back to us with an update when you can, Violet 1. We all benefit from shared experiences.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

Bumping to keep this active.   Hope all will welcome warmer weather and an allergy free summer.

• Trickling
    Options

Bump BUMP

• Flaming-Phoenix
    Flaming-Phoenix Member Posts: 2
    Options

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but I am allergic to all dressings except steri strips, mepor and micro pore tape ( the paper one). I was having dressings changed over a period of 4 months by the district nurses and just as I was finally healing, one of them brought me some barrier sticks to try. They are basically like long matchsticks with a very small amount of solid barrier cream on one end. This can be applied to the skin where the dressing or adhesive will go. I found that the reaction was far less with this than without, despite weakened skin from chemo and radiotherapy. The sticks are called Cavillon and are available from 3M. I hope this helps...

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,111
    Options

Flaming - Thanks.  I'll jump on this.  My skin around the port is horrible in spite of using hypafix or micrapore tape - and I've a long way to go yet.

• Trickling
    Options

Flaming-Pho

Is this the product to which you were referring? This nurse's presentation is very practical and confidence boosting.

MinusTwo

Sooo sorry to hear of your misery. I sure hope the Cavilon swab sticks bring some relief.

I wore my Dr. Seuss Hat last Thursday. . .

• Trickling
    Options

Here's the missing link Embarassed  for the Cavilon presentation by a nurse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d28fNUiH68M

• minustwo
    Options

Had a needle put in my port today for PET/CT and the infusion nurse used a skin barrier wipe under the adhesive around the tegaderm.  When I got back & she took it off - voila - no pain, no pulled or torn skin, no sores, no rash, no...well you get the picture.  It was like a large Q-tip like in the Cavilon pictures, but started with an "A".  Wish I'd paid more attention but I didn't really expect it to work.  I'll get more details when I go in for blood work on Monday.

Looks like some Walgreens stores have Cavilon.  Also Amazon.  And I found 3 or 4 other similar products.  One definitive study showed Cavilon provided the best barrier & lasted the longest.

• Trickling
    Options

MinusTwo: Grrreat news! CONGRATULATIONS! Looking forward to your findings regarding mystery label "A".

• Trickling
    Options

Here' hoping that anyone finding relief via 3M Cavilon will consider sharing with the following folks with ostomies (patients have STOMAS), whom I just discovered.

This fellow is ready to do somersaults over 3M Cavilon applicator. He is quite an inspiration. 

Note: he appears to also be lucky regarding the method of application. So, please take a second look at the video regarding proper application by a nurse (below). Best to CONSISTENTLY leave enough time for proper drying AND following of the recommended method of applying layers with the applicator.

I am going to try the wand and maybe the cream since the wipe didn't work for me. Anticipate purchasing the products next week.

>> Can't begin to adequately thank all those who share their stories by typing or video on the web!

NURSE re application:

3M Cavilon: wipes & wands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d28fNUiH68M

3M Cavilon: cream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X_3JkuXn7U

ENTHUSIASTC patient with stoma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9XZ0iZChI&NR=1&feature=endscreen

CONTAGIOUS ATTITUDEof  patient with stoma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9PYMfqNGm0&NR=1&feature=fvwp

?? I wonder why the nurse did not recommend CREAM given the reason for not recommending the wipes. I suspect it may have been simply being unaware of the cream alternative.

Has anyone else tried the various types of 3MCavilon relative to adhesive allergies?

MONITORS: This is NOT an advertisement submission. 

• Trickling
    Options

Well, friends, I just read the following article about a likely mix-up which may be due to "stuff sitting on shelves" and ending up where it wasn't supposed to be.

No matter your opinion about the GMO controversy, I thought I would share the link for those who may not take seriously the need to repeatedly declare their allergy to LATEX though they may be in a facility which promotes non-Latex gloves throughout or at least in some departments. No telling where something that is assumed to have been removed may turn up despite the best of intentions. Note: the appearance of the wheat in 2013 despite the end of the testing back in 2005 . . .

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/06/17/tsr-dnt-elam-gmo-wheat-oregon.cnn#/video/us/2013/06/17/tsr-dnt-elam-gmo-wheat-oregon.cnn

LOL

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling - scary.

The infusion center gave me the box for what they used to wipe on my skin before they put on the adhesive.

Aplicare Skin Protectant Prep Pads.  Looks like Aplicare, Inc. in Meriden, CT sells through distributors, or something like 500 boxes of 200 pads. 

I have a friend who's going to order some Cavilon from 3-M since she already has an account & orders other of her husband's supplies direct.

• Trickling
    Options

MinusTwo - Good to know of an alternative to 3M Cavilon barrier product.  Some time ago when I tested the 3M Cavilon wipe (followed the instructions in the video referred to above), it did not prevent my allergic reaction. Do let us know how your friend's 3M Cavilon connection/use turns out.

Thanks to the sharing of so many sisters on the discussion forum, we have ample testimonies that

• what works for one patient may not work for all patients;
    • what did or did not work at one point in life may reverse later on;
    • the same basic product among manufacturers may have subtle differences which cause differing reactions by patients. 

*** 3M CAVILON CREAM

Yesterday, CVS Pharmacy ordered the 3M Cavilon CREAM for me. They do not carry the WAND applicator (neither did Walgreen's). I'll PKUp the cream, tomorrow, and intend to apply it in relationship to whatever remaining samples of adhesive products I still have at home. Depending on the availability of the wand, I may do my testing as early as Sunday.

Some of us are fortunate to have the option of testing our breast area. While I include testing elsewhere, I find I have to test on the skin of my breasts for reliable results there. Even then, I am only brave enough to test on my right breast and not my left breast.

*** 3M Cavilon WAND

Today, I intend to phone a medical supply company in town to see if they carry the wand.

SAMPLES

It gets expensive to have to purchase products for the sake of testing. I know if my upcoming testing does not surprise me with success, I shall attempt to get a sample  from Aplicare. Sometimes, companies which do not advertise samples will make an exception and provide a sample.

I do not know if 3M provides samples for 3M Cavilon products. I was in a hurry and did not take time to contact them at this time.

• Trickling
    Options

$$ $$$  I was glad I was sitting down when I returned my call from Walgreens Pharmacy about possibly ordering 3M Cavilon WAND type barrier product.

Are you ready?

$100/pkg of 25 wands.

No need to guess: I will not be experimenting with the wand type.

>> On Sunday, I intend to test the 3M Cavilon CREAM type barrier product (3.25 oz). $7.47 + tax = $8.16

• Trickling
    Options

BUMPing to keep this thread active.

• GramE
    Options

If any has any adheive left over on the body, the only sure fire way to remove is with nail polish remover.  I recently had a hospital where they could not use non allergic tape and it was awful getting the residue off.   

• minustwo
    Options

I love the "skin protectant".  My infusion center uses Aplicare.  I have to ask every time & they have to get the pads from the back room, but what a difference.  Just wipe it on before using hypafix tape.  No redness, no pulled skin.  Still waiting for my friend to send a report on Cavilon.  Trickling - did you try that?

• Trickling
    Options

I have my computer back!

@GramE I am astounded that you had to resort to nail polish remover, which is a less than full strength acetone. Maybe pretty healthy skin can take a dose of the stuff but otherwise, I think I'll pass. Glad to hear you did not dissolve away from us!

@MinusTwo #1- I received the Cavilon CREAM and intend to test it out on my non-affected breast later this week. I must admit that between our recent long long heat wave and the usual "other" kinds of stuff, I put off jumping into doing the testing.

@MinusTwo #2- I just found this Aplicare SAMPLE site. What should I try ordering or having my doctor order? Thanks in advance and for staying the course :-)

http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/aplicaresterility/samples/

?? Is anyone else familiar with the Aplicare to which MinusTwo is referring?

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling:  I don't think any of the items on that link are what my infusion center is using.  They are called "Skin Protectant Prep Pads".  They open & wipe on my skin before applying a "bandaid".  The center has them in boxes of 200 individual applications.  One of the nurses told me to be sure to ask for "skin protectant" since there were other brands.

GramE - ouch for the acetone.

• Trickling
    Options

@Everyone: ALERT =SAMPLE of Aplicare SKIN PROTECTORANT PAD = 1-800-760-3236

I just got off the phone with a marvelous customer service representative from APLICARE. When I stated in general about our thread, she actually anticipated my request for a sample of their protectorant pad. I should receive the free sample in a few days.

This representative confirmed that Aplicare welcomes requests for samples.

>>> Super Duper THANK YOU to MinusTwo (See: July 23 & 24)  :-)

• GramE
    Options

I guess I had no option with the acetone.   I had  a stroke June 26 and of course had to have electrodes and other sticky things stuck to my body when I got to the emergency room.  There were no other wounds, not during a surgical procedure.  

I am doing well, am allowed to drive, living home after a weeks at my sons, and  Start speech therapy for some short term memory loss.    

• Trickling
    Options

@GramE Way to go! RED hot VROOOM on the road again. . .

• Trickling
    Options

I was going to start my re-testing of adhesive tapes, today. However, AGAIN, my plans have gotten turned around.

I wish I could say it was for some magnanimous gesture

or . . . joining the researchers in the following GREAT LINK . . .

(scroll the photos to the pair of researchers: 1= wearing red + 1 wearing blue)

Ha! Ha! Who knows: the topsyturvy dimensions of things may mean we are all traveling those mysterious passageways

http://www.livescience.com/38875-iceland-volcano-floods-photos.html

:-)

• GramE
    Options

bumping to keep this active.

• Trickling
    Options

?? Has anyone had experience with 3M SILICONE tape? (GOOGLE search: 3M Silicone medical Tape) also (GOOGLE search: silicone medical tape)

I am in the process of trying to contact the proper division of 3M to see if I can obtain a sample of 3M silicon tape recommended for critical care units.

Stay C...ooooo...L

More power to those of you who can not only tolerate the heat/humidity but enjoy it.

Honestly, if I won the Lotto, you would not find me in Florida or any of those kind of places. 70s are just fine with me!

• Trickling
    Options

re 3M Silicone Medical Tape (even for critical care situations)

*** 3M informed me that that their product is sold over-the-counter in stores such as Target and pharmacies, etc.

*** under the brand name = NEXCARE: Kind Removal Tape, which is colored BLUE

*** I have determined via phone calls that the BLUE tape is apparently not common on the shelves.

*** My CVS Pharmacist is going to see if she can order the tape for me.

*** I again called 3M and got the following PRODUCt #

*** 3/4 in x 5+ yards = #2775-0     1.0 in x 5+ yards = #2775=1

Hope this info helps.

• Trickling
    Options

OK. Here I am "back at the ranch" with some more info

re over-counter product = 3M Nexcare Sensitive Skin Low Trauma Tape = tape is BLUE (notice the slight change in name from what the 3M representative gave me)

NEXCARE site =http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcare/Nexcare/ProductCat/?N=5927933+4326+4326&rt=r3    = find the picture of the BLUE colored tape product and click on it

the above link took me to the following (maybe your section of the world may link up differently):

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=472741&catid=184356&aid=333971&aparam=nexcare_sensitve_skin_lo&CA_6C15C=230004330000028729&CAID=1d264fdf-11e7-4c73-b965-6ab7abce42ba

=  big picture and description and Internet source. See below for what I actually did.

*** Julie, my super duper CVS Pharmacist, was unable to order this product and sent me to the Nexcare web page (above).

***** Note well: The Internet picture of the actual BLUE product along with its description became a key factor during my conversations with pharmacies.

>>> NEVERTHELESS, I don't understand because I don't see the description as stating a SILICONE tape. I intend to again phone 3M.

*** I ended up locating the tape at a medical supply store. Actually, I placed their ONE AND ONLY item on hold! It will cost me about $9.00 + tax. Yes = $$ ouch $$

*** I depend on public transportion but expect to PKUp the tape either tomorrow or Saturday. 

??? You know how some hospitals have a pharmacy located within the hospital? Well, although it did not work out for me this time around, my pharmacist suggested I include such a pharmacy during my searches.

Hope everyone has a nice LABOR DAY WEEKEND. 

• Trickling
    Options

OK. Here I am "back at the ranch" with some more info

re product = silicone based 3M Kind Removal Tape

>>> BEWARE >>> 3M Nexcare Sensitive Skin Low Trauma Tape = tape is BLUE (but this is NOT the SILICONE  based 3M Kind Removal Tape) = Hence, why I deleted my previous entry.

*** Julie, my super duper CVS Pharmacist, was unable to order the silicone 3M Kind Removal Tape.

*** Despite assurances from the 3M representative, I was unable locate silicone based 3M Kind Removal Tape at my local pharmacies and medical supply store – let alone Target

??? You know how some hospitals have a pharmacy located within the hospital? Well, although it did not work out for me this time around, my pharmacist suggested I include such a pharmacy during my searches.

>>> I ended up ordering one 1 in roll via the Internet because of all of the review comments by users on the following site offering silicone 3M Kind Removal Tape

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-kind-removal-silicone-tapes.html

Hope everyone has a nice *** LABOR DAY WEEKEND ***

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    Options

I thought i could tolerate micropore paper tpe, latex free but a One inch huge blister proved me wrong so now need mega hypoallergenic