Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Adhesive TAPE - help need to find non-allergic

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,111
    Options

Deyrl:  Everyone has a different level of tolerance depending on the product.  Some I react to in only 6 hours but others I can stand for 24 hours.

Happy New Year.  Sorry I haven't been on line much but sincerely hope everyone had a good new year - with special shouts to Trickling & Gram E.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

Happy New Year everyone.   I also think that "testing" a product before is a good idea -- However, there may be some additional trauma after surgery or once the skin is cleaned with a scrub soap or antiseptic.   I happen to be allergic to Septosol, which is a commonl scrub soap used prior to surgery.    

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    Options

I love this site.  When in the hospital for my bmx and DIEP, the PS laughed ( literally) at my complaining over the tape being removed.  When I showered and saw the blisters I was furious at him.  He made me feel stupid like nobody would ever get a reaction to tape.  When I went to another hospital for Stage 2b, they asked about allergic reactions to tape.  Because of my previous experience, I stayed quiet.  After surgery when they removed the pain pumps, my whole upper thigh was red and blistered.  I told them why I didn't say anything and the nurses seemed amazed that my former PS reacted the way he did.  Now to know that many of us have similiar reactions makes me feel like I am not crazy to complain. 

• Trickling
    Trickling Member Posts: 295
    Options

Oh! grt42btexan how horrible but thank you for sharing your terrible experience. I do hope that you will NOT EVER AGAIN KEEP QUIET and join many of us who not only take the initiative to verbally alert medical staff but put on our own colorful alert bracelet or whatever. My heart goes out to you. Again, I want to let you and others know that ALL of us get such a terrific boost from sharing experiences.

Did you get any tips from the second hospital staff - even if you have not yet found a fine solution?

In particular, I want to admit that hearing you say you love this site has come at an particularly good time as less than a handful of us have been trying to keep the thread alive for some time by simply entering a BUMP message so the thread does not get deleted.

I put out a specific plea on another forum regarding suggestioins for getting CVS pharmacy to respond (see my several entries) but did not get a reply and at this point don't expect a reply. 

BTW, making patients feel "stupid" is not unusual whether by the medical staff just having become insensitive or simply being "acceptably arrogant" as many probably were from before pursuing their medial career. Let's all stick together and show sensitivity!

LOL

• Trickling
    Options

Hope everyone that is able to get a flu shot has or will soon be getting one. I am able to get one and did so in the Fall. The flu is now classified as an epidemic in the USA, I am doubly grateful that I did not delay.

Yes! I am washing my hands with ordinary soap and water more often.

Good luck avoiding the flu . . .

• Momisalwayswrite
    Momisalwayswrite Member Posts: 1
    Options

I thought I needed Freddy Krueger claws to get to the itches after mastectomy on jan. 4. I had been off pain meds but needed to go back on Percocet at 2 am the other nite. My PS took one look at me and said I was allergic to the surgi tape and promptly ripped every piece off my body! She gave my hydroxine to sleep, finally. I think the itch was worse than the double mastectomy and lat flap surgery put together. Glad I am not alone.

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    Options

mommyisalwayswrite...so sorry to hear about your horrible itching.  At least your dr gave you meds to sleep.  I have used alot of itching cream for going on 4 weeks .  Nurses at my 2nd hosipital said in the future to use gauze and glue not tape.  I know I have to have a slight revision on both breasts and adominal scar and my chart clearly reads "no tape".  Hope this helps.

• Trickling
    Options

I thought I'd spiffy up this bumping entry by including a different kind of a BUMP of a bubble which Yahoo is featuring on their front page. 

I found myself enjoying the video several times and have bookmarked it. I'll definitely be doing the experiment - when it gets warmer in my part of the country! I found some quick help by doing a GOOGLE search: where to get dry ice

I don't think the monitors allow for me to post a direct link.

Sooooo Please enter the following for either a GOOGLE or YouTube search

giant dry ice bubble brusspup

:-)

• Trickling
    Options

grt42btexan Maybe you could test whatever glue your medical staff recommends. With this allergy stuff, even medical glue, let alone all medical glues, is not a sure thing.

Nice to hear you are keeping tabs on your medical CHART. Nevertheless, far too many of us can attest that an entry on the chart is not enough. Hope you will add to the ingenious ways of using ribbons and markings of all sorts some of us use on our bodies based on the school of experience.

• minustwo
    Options

Ah Trickling - remember when we used to pass around things like the dry ice bubble instructions & keep them secret so we could impress our grade school friends?  Thanks for the fun science experiment.

• Trickling
    Options

Thump, thump, Valentines! Here's loving bump to keep this thread on the list to be noticed.

• GramE
    Options

I was once tempted to have "allergies" tatooed on my body... but where would be the best place?    Across my forehead might work, but also gave up that idea...!!!

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling - I thought your thumps were the Easter Bunny.  Oh well - wrong holiday.  I went out to lunch with friend today to celebrate Fat Tuesday.  We got Mardi Gras beads, drank margaritas and ate stacked green chili enchiladas (New Mexico style).  Boy did I want a nap after drinking at lunch.  Now....happy valentines.

• GramE
    Options

Bump, bump -- St. Pats day coming...

• Lisa_Lock
    Lisa_Lock Member Posts: 3
    Options

hey all,

I am a week out of bmx surgery and my dr glued my incisions and applied steri strips which I can tolerate ok. The surgical bra that he put me in is so tight that it is holding me in place. I did have to have emergency surgery a few hours after the bmx because my breast artery was bleeding and a large hematoma formed. The dr on call taped me....fortunately I realized it about 6-8 hours after surgery and the morning dr making rounds took it off for me and checked the wounds to make sure all was ok. 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    Options

I used a product called SUREPREP years ago, but I just found this site with multiple listings for "barrier" products..

http://welcome2indemed.com/Products/isgWeb2/PID-BRD740013XZ.aspx

Hope this helps!

• Trickling
    Options

WELCOME, LISA!

HOORAAYY for your realizing the allergic reactions were taking place even though you were in the middle of dealing with all kinds of stuff.

When you get a chance, please consider sharing what your initial thoughts were upon your discovery of having been taped and were having allergic reactions. For instance, what popped into your head as to what you might do to prevent this situation in the future - even though you may have subsequently dismissed them?  Hopefully you will never need to have another surgery.

Sorry that you had to wait until the morning rounds.

• tenaj
    tenaj Member Posts: 365
    Options

Sorry to hear that you had the trouble Lisa, I hope you are feeling better.

I also have an adhesive allergy & had an experience a few weeks ago. I had what I hope is my last part of the reconstruction & was asked at least 10-12 times to repeat my name, date of birth & allergies when I was at ambulatory surgery. As I was walking into the OR I was asked again as I was climbing on the table. Of course I don't remember anything else until I woke up. I was put in any abdominal binder, my breasts had tegaderm which I can tolerate. By the time I got home I was getting itchy on my stomach so I peaked & found that under the binder was a peice of foam with an adhesive back!! I couldn't remove it because it got stuck to the tegaderm by my incision on my lower abdomen & when I pulled it was coming off & bleeding. I had to wait to the next morning & go to the office to get fixed.. All is OK, I just got annoyed because it was SOOO known abut the allergy.

• Trickling
    Options

Soccermom4force - I just visited your suggested URL. THANKS!

Your post reminded me that much earlier on our thread there was a YouTube video demonstration re some of the proper application techniques involving similar barrier products. I found the video link which has the YouTube title,

3M™ Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film: Usage & Application and features a nurse dressed in an olive uniform.

Here is a copy of the actual YouTube URL (this link may not work on everyone's computer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d28fNUiH68M

• Trickling
    Options

Hi, Fenaj!

Your great post must have passed mine on the Internet highway as I did not see it until now Smile

• Trickling
    Options

Everyone: LISTEN UP:

While I was on YouTube looking for my response video to soccermom4force, I stumbled on a link for products for people with ostomies. The video prompted me to think about the TUBE of stuff they were advertising as somekind of adhesive that seals the ostomy device so that there aren't any gaps between it and the skin, skin folds. Anyway, I just finished getting off the phone with a representative from COLOPLAST, the manufacturer of the product (rather than the distributing company that made the video).

>>> GOOD NEWS! Coloplast is sending me a sample of their wipes + a sample of the tube stuff.

I made clear that I was contacting Coloplast thanks to a recent posting on a thread about allergies to adhesives, etc. etc. They confirmed that their wipes are not the same as 3M Cavilon. My impression was that the very understanding customer service rep consulted a supervisor so that a mailing could be sent out. (Don't be fooled by the ad re samples).

>>> The biggest point that I am trying to make is that I was able to get a mailing of the sample of the TUBE stuff and the wipes because I referred to our thread (not by way of identification). >>> YOU ALL have been making our thread possible and therefore YOU ALL, including those of you who recently chimed in, have made possible the mailing from Coloplast.

Here is my "stumbled upon" the link to the distributor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK9BV5gNXj8

Here is the link to the MFG, Coloplast

http://www.us.coloplast.com/products/samples/ostomysegmentation?gclid=CNb-uorHyrUCFQrpnAodozUA3A

• Trickling
    Options

Well, I received a tube of stuff from the Coloplast company. However, I regret to inform you that it is not the ADHESIVE used to seal the ostomy device on the skin. For any new visitors to this threas, I do not need an ostomy but am open to ideas from anywhere in my/our search for non-allergic adhesives Smile

Rather, I received their "Once a Day Mosisturizing Body Cream". Given what I stated during my phone conversation requesting the adhesive, this sample is way off base. I do not intend to pursue a replacement sample. In a month or so, I will be making my annual trek to my primary care physician. I shall approach him about his obtaining a little spoonful of the whatever adhesive in the tube stuff is used at the medical center, an educational type of set up. In desperation, I would smear the goo on gauze or whatever to provide a substitute kind of tape - if I ended up NOT being allergic to the adhesive.

That's it for a while. Comments, stories, suggestions are always welcome on this thread.

Cozy wishes to all of you.

• Trickling
    Options

I hadn't intended to post for a while. However, upon being faced with the following article on the front page of Yahoo, I am posting what is the most serious aspect of our concerns regarding allergic reaction. The ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM kind of thing.  Seen but not readily acknowledged.

Allergic reactions cause irritation even blistering and breaking of the skin. In each and all of these allergic reactions our ability to ward off infections is comprimised. The following link is to to an article whose first line I have quoted below. I hope this helps spur all of us 

1) to increase our attempts at prevention: taking the HARD, Exasperating, Embarrassing, EXTRA measures to actually mark ourselves and to repeat, repeat, repeat our allergic status to each and all of the numerous medical staff with whom we interact - even after we have confirmed that our allergic status written on our medical charts; and

2) to encourage the search for non-allergic solutions and the sharing of these solutions among medical personnel and patients, while realizing that what works for one may not work for others or may change over time.

In my case, I am among those patients, confronted with knowing of an adhesive product to which I am NOT allergic and yet not able to pursue a tape version because the company has chosen to respond neither to my inquiries nor those of medical staff. Yes! Those of us who have not found solutions are faced with the additional burden of the silent response of medical staff who are apparently without the time or means to assist in pursuing whatever might already be on the market - let alone what might be in experimental stages.

I am not complaining; just stating the unspoken bottom line: we are patients RIPE for infectious tragedies. However, we cannot resign ourselves to be lumped together as the "unfortunate casualties of war' or "collateral damage", particularly when the related disciplinary issues of LACK of cleanliness in medical facilities are getting more attention.

Okay. Ours is a thread where we can and do help each other. Here is the initial sentence and the link to the article:

QQ NEW YORK (Reuters) - "Nightmare bacteria" that have become increasingly resistant to even the strongest antibiotics infected patients in 3.9 percent of all U.S. hospitals in the first half of 2012, including 17.8 percent of specialty hospitals, public health officials said on Tuesday. QQQ 

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/nightmare-bacteria-shrugging-off-antibiotics-on-rise-in-u-s

I say, "Welcome, 'ELEPHANT'!" Now, let's show the elephant the RESPECT it deserves.

Medical staff and patients: wash our hands and tools and continue to seek and share non-allergic products to keep our skin in tip top shape.

Thanks.

• Trickling
    Options

Bumpety BUMP to keep this topic active. Thanks.

• GramE
    Options

bumping once again.    Hope Spring is on its way to each of you.    

• Mimi8
    Mimi8 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Dear Trickling,

Medipore is a soft cloth surgical tape made by 3M. It's great! I am VERY allergic to even bandaids and get welts from most adhesives. The easy to cut 3" x 10 yd tape is also hypoallergenic and made in the USA by 3M Health Care.

When my wonderful PS saw the skin damage I went through after my MX, he found this tape and used it on me for my breast implant and breast lift reconstruction. It stuck where I wanted it to and came off clean.

There were no red welts, skin peeling or skin rashes on me this time! This roll of tape was given to me when I left the hospital to use for dressing my wounds. It's available at medical supply stores for $20.

I'm sorry this may be too late for you, but please let everybody else know.

Hugs,

Mimi

• minustwo
    Options

Mimi:  Yup, I too can use Medipore.  Also, in case there are other new users, Hypafix tape works well for me.

• GramE
    Options

I have used MEPITAC with no blisters, skin damage, itching and it removes easily.   

• GramE
    Options

I have deleted several of my "bump" postings to allow more room for real information.   

• Trickling
    Options

I am beginning to delete my BUMP entries. I hope to fininish my purging by the end of the month.

Anyone else who wants to delete what was only THEIR BUMP TO KEEP THIS THREAD ACTIVE, please feel free to do so.

I'd happily take the time to delete your purely BUMP entries, however, only the person who entered the BUMP can do so.

Not to worry if you don't have time to delete: BUMPS along the way are BUMPS along the way . . .

>>> However, please consider helping keep this thread active even if only by posting a NEW BUMP along the way if you don't have an experience or tip you'd like to share regarding adhesive tape.

THANKS thanks THANKS