Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Adhesive TAPE - help need to find non-allergic

Options

Comments

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

When I had my Pre-Op visit with the PS who would be closing after my BMX, I told him how sensitive I was to adhesives.

He said that was true of many of his patients, so he just plain doesn't use them

After my incisions were closed, he covered them with Xeriform - that gooey, yellow gauze that is saturated with antibiotics. Then he covered that with dry gauze, and wrapped some fluffy cotton padding all the way around me. Then he covered all that with a huge Ace bandage.

At my one-week Post-Op appt, he unwound me (the Grand Unveiling), proclaimed everything to be looking good, replaced the Xeriform, dry gauze, and a new Ace bandage.

A week later, he took everything off, and no bandages were ever needed. I was really impressed.

• Trickling
    Trickling Member Posts: 295
    Options

Blessings20 : I am definitely making a note of your entry of Sun Aug 12, 2012. However, you have an advantage in that your BMX made for a more LEVEL ground compared to those of us who still have our breasts (even if as in my case, one breast is quite mishapen). Nevertheless, that  you were able to go for an entire week is significant. CONGRATULATIONS!

BTW

Separate from my left breast Late Radiation Effects with an additional development of localized Bullous Pemphigoid, which is now under control, I later had to have a benign growth on my back (right shoulder) removed because it had gotten large enough to become irritated from my purse strap (not place purse on left shoulder because of left breast surgical history). The incision opened when only steristrips were used. The incision was a bit too large for me to use CVS Hydrocoloid Dressing. Without the availability of adhesive tape to which I am not allergic, my surgeon just let the incision heal on its own. Fortunately, I had a co-worker place an antibiotic ointment to which I am not allergic all around the incision each day.

Needless to say, during the healing process and to this day, I have much anxiety over this "GAMBLE" approach. Anyway, the incision did heal without becoming infected. HOWEVER, I have a large area of raised scar tissue, which I have to take care not irritate. This scar tissue at times becomes sensitive, without apparently having been irritated by an outside factor. It will take years for this scar rissue to reduce in size.  Therefore, I am EXTRA impressed with your recovery.

Be assured, had I known of your success, I would have demanded that I be wrapped up even if it meant that I ended up looking like a lopsided giant with my entire right shoulder huge in size like a football player's shoulder padding!

• Trickling
    Options

MinusTwo : You re a gem! Currently, Chicago is actually having cool weather. Illinois is among the MANY MANY states having drought.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Trickling - you are absolutely right about the convenience of symmetry when it comes to being wrapped up like a mummy! 

Just another note: I saw the PS yesterday for my Pre-Op for my 8/22 exchange. We talked about the adhesive issue.

He said that one of the biggest causes of blistering under bandages was not always allergy to adhesives, but rather the delicate nature and swelling of the tissues that the bandage covers.

When the bandage holds the skin tightly, and the tissue beneath wants to move, it separates layers of skin, causing blisters.

So the cause in blistering is not always allergy, but simple mechanics of a tight covering on the top layer of very fragile skin.

• Trickling
    Options

Blessings20:  That is very interesting about the physics of the skin relative to the tape! Every bit of info helps all of us.

In my case, I think most of the reaction problem comes from allergies as I have tried testing various adhesives on healthy areas as well.

To think that there is an adhesive (the adhesive on CVS Hydrocolloid dressings) to which I am NOT allergic but cannot find out what it is, let alone tape made with it, because CVS replied neither to my nor my doctor's written inquries reminds me every now and again that the complexity of the problem is not only due to chemistry and physics . . .

Sorry for the delay in replying. I initially procrastinated and then ran into some computer problems which were time stretched because the store ended up with the computer and a part had to be ordered.

Hope your healing going well.

Speaking of time: I came across a most amazing short description of it. What makes the instance doubley special is that it came my way while I was reading an unrelated (is anything really unrelated) topic on the Internet and happened to actually take notice of the pop up stuff. You know? The stuff along the right edge - so full of "junk".  It turned out to be another of those treasured reminders of the oneness of everything. You bet: I bookmarked it!

>>> BEGIN QUOTE <<<

Time is Spherical, not Linear is a general interest blog written by Tommy Stevenson, an associate editor at the Tuscaloosa News. It[sic] premise is that time expands, it does not "pass." After all when did "then" become "now" and when will now become "the future." Never; this is it and it just gets larger. >>> END QUOTE <<< Tommy Stevenson (I don't know if TS composed it or quoted it.)

Furthermore, it turns out that the fellow is a journalist who writes some pretty interesting stuff. Anyway, here is the link I now keep active.

http://stevensonblog.blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

First bump for September...  Keep well everyone.   

• GramE
    Options

Bump again for newbies.    

• Trickling
    Options

Thanks Gram E!

BTW, when I went to pull up this forum, I clicked on who knows what (old link ?) . . . anyway, it displayed the following neat info source which included a feature about someone famous having breast cancer. I don't watch much TV but the few episodes of HARRY which I saw, I liked, and particularly the acting of Kathy Bates. Just sharing. Not meaning to start a new thread or anything.

http://breastcancer.about.com/ = re Kathy Bates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Bates = UN-Harry picture of 

that's it for now bye chow take it easy cya 

• Trickling
    Options

BUmping to keep this thread active.

• GramE
    Options

I was going to do the same...    Anyone with more info or questions, please let us know.

• Trickling
    Options

BUMP

Joining those who feel like they are waiting for the GREAT PUMPKIN via this thread.

BTW, those little plastic tool kits for carving pumpkins in even the most intricate designs work very well and with ease. The kits are found in drugstores and supermarkets all over the place.

• GramE
    Options

Bump.    Happy "election is over" day ...

• Trickling
    Options

Happy election-day-over as in O-V-E-R. You got that right, GramE!

Now, let's hope the whole bunch of them stop squabbling and get something done.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,111
    Options

I'm in agreement with you both.  Gee whiz - figure out how to work together.  Can you believe one of the headlines was 'who's going to run in 2016'.  Just bumpin too...

• Trickling
    Options

Thanks, MinusTwo. BTW, would you believe: a few minutes ago I remembered that I forgot to put out the flag for Veterans Day!

TIP about FREEZING:

Before I log out I'll share a tip about freezing squashes, rice, etc. I have just finished steaming big chunks of a pumpking that was perfectly ripe, i.e., hollow. Scraping out the inner pulp will be a breeze. The tip, which somoeone shared with me decades ago, is that I will flatten out the plastic freezer bags and temporarily place them on a tray to freeze so that the bags will take up less room and be marvelously maneageable.

• Trickling
    Options

*** HAPPY THANKSGIVING *** 

*** EVERYONE *** EVERYWHERE *** *** BEYOND BOUNDARIES ***

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling & GramE - looks like it's mostly the 3 of us.  Maybe some new members will pass along ideas next year.  Or maybe we'll even pick up new tips with our continuing doc appointments.  I'm roasting a chicken since it's just me this year.  And horrors - stove top stuffing.  I will be passing on Black Friday & reading a good book.  Hope everyone has a great day.

• GramE
    Options

I am thankful I have no surgeries or treatments, so no need for tape except for an occasional bandaid for cut fingers.   I managed to burn my arm while making raspberry bars, but no blisters.  Then I cut 3 fingers trying to open a "no touch" soap dispenser.   In fact I phoned the company and told them that their packaging was very consumer UN friendly.   They promised to send coupons for soap refills -- we will see. Once it is open, the dispenser is great.  Just put hand under and a small squirt of soap comes out.   

My son, wife and 2 daughters are my guests today.   Cooking for one is no fun, but for 4 (baby is only 11 weeks old) it is worth it.  Nothing fancy but a day together and grandma time with DGD who is almost 3 years old.   

Happy Thanksgiving.  No black Friday for me either.   Bingo in the evening.   I love stove top stuffing - cornbread type and found Cranberry will be given the taste test.    

• Trickling
    Options

BLACK FRIDAY

Well, MinusTwo & GramE, I am not diving into the BLACK FRIDAY crowds either! HOWEVER, look at the time of this entry Smile A few minutes ago I placed an order with Amazon. So, I guess I end up getting counted for Black Friday in some fashion. I had a nice snooze earlier.

Nature EXCURSION

On Wednesday a woman I recently met during one of the many varied events at Chicago's Cultural Center (formerly the main library), which Renaissance Center events I have only recently been able to take advantage. Anyway, at this particular event, another person pointed out the joys of visiting Northerly Island (really a peninsula) what was formerly a small airport - plowed under by our former mayor in dramatic literally middle-of-the-night manner -  allegedly solely for homeland security reasons: easy access for small aircraft to the heart of Chicago. The area, which is accessible by foot by its connection to our Adler Planetarium, which is readily accessible by public transportation, is currently scheduled for eco-friendly development. No cars will be permitted and nature activities, including camping, will receive plenty of attention. Several participants at the Renaissance Center event expressed interest in visiting either or both the planetarium and the nature setting. Such an outing may occur next year, but e-mails revealed that too much was going on for 2012 to get even a small group going.

Aerial Picture of Northerly Island

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&amp;tab=lw#hl=en&amp;tbo=d&amp;sclient=psy-ab&amp;q=northerly+island+chicago&amp;oq=northerly&amp;gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.3433.5160.0.8496.9.7.0.2.2.0.119.714.4j3.7.0.les;..0.0...1c.1.QALHquoopN4&amp;pbx=1&amp;fp=1&amp;bpcl=38625945&amp;biw=1920&amp;bih=873&amp;bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&amp;cad=b

Newpaper Article about Upcoming Development of Northerly Island

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/theskyline/2010/12/new-lakefront-park-plan-promises-an-oasis-of-ecology-and-daleys-last-hurrah-.html

SURPRISING TWIST

The story of the visit takes a surprising and pleasant twist or two. While returning on a bus from downtown at the end of last week, I felt a tap on my shoulder and was greeted by Kathy, who proceded to enthusiastically suggest our visiting Northerly Island on the day before Thanksgiving, if I were free. Another interested person couldn't make it but it turned out that both of us were free and the spectacular Fall weather we've been experiencing continued.

Not many people around in this area currently mostly covered with some trees and prairie grass. While we did not walk the entire peninsula, nature worked her wonders. Furthermore, it was this experience which again stirred up in me my years dormant desire to have a reasonably priced but adequate pair of binoculars. My long ago initial investigation into such a purchase discouraged such a purchase not only because I am not really into bird watching, as such, and the prices by nature enthusiasts were out of my league. After returning from an enjoyable Thanksgiving day at friends, including many cats and a dog, as well as cranberry bread (I intend to surf for the cornbread with cranberries, GramE) and being reminded by every sort of media that this was the time to do shopping, I half-heartedly decided to visit Amazon, where my account had a burning-a-hole-in-my-pocket $30 credit. You know the result.

May I share with you the information which prompted me to get not only a pair of binoculars on sale, with specifics as to why these particular binoculars rather than more powerful binoculars were best for birdwatching and the like, but a handy-dandy MONOCULAR? I am not trying to sell anything just share info, enabling info, which I found so very informative after missing out on who knows what during its absence.  I will undoubtedly continue to pass on binocular/monocular info with those I meet.

The BINOCULARS:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7216-Action-8x40mm-Binoculars/dp/B0001AOGAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353665883&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+7216+action+8x40mm+binoculars

Info why these binoculars = better for my purposes than even more powerful binoculars

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/8x40nikonactionultrawideview.cfm?RNtt=nikon 8x40mm action ultra-wide-view

I surprised myself with a MONOCULAR,

so light and small and cheap, with great reviews, that I intend to carry it with me almost ALL OF THE TIME. I love textures, natural as well as architectural.  The CLOSE UP as well as DISTANCE features of this Carson device gives me goosebumps in anticipation. I live in an apartment. If you have access to a backyard, MinusTwo and GramE, you will surely be interest in the comments of the reviewers of the MONOCULAR.

http://www.amazon.com/Carson®-CloseUp-Close-Focus-Monocular-CF-718/dp/B0010KZJXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353666569&sr=1-1&keywords=carson+closeup+monocular

ADHESIVES

I am pretty sure that before the New Year, I will again try out some (only some) of the adhesives to which I have had an allergic reaction. I am doing so because I recall that somewhere in this thread someone made it a point to remind us that our bodies go through changes and it may very well be that what caused me to have allergic reactions in the past may not necessarily do so forever. I also increasingly toy with this idea out of desperation. I, personally, have not found a tape to which I am not allergic.  

>> For anyone visiting this thread for the first time: take heart.

Some visitors have found some alternatives thanks to the experiences others have shared in this thread. Every little bit of shared experiences relating to adhesives, helps - even if your experiences have only been by way of an allegic reaction or some alarming disregard of your condition or, on the other hand, some preventative steps regarding disregard.

• GramE
    Options

How lovely your outing sounds - and the monocular.   My husband was a high tech optics expert and he taught me how to test for imperfections in the "glass" or lens when buying or using items such as cameras, dollar store magnifying glasses, etc.    There is a bird sanctuary on my to do list and the monocular sounds like the perfect item to take along.

I could not agree more about sharing alternatives to allergy producing tape.   I do not remember the exact source of this info, but it was to test for allergies to food.   The suggestion was to take a bit of the food (egg as an example), mix with water and put a drop on the inside of the wrist, let it dry and leave it there overnight.   If a raised bump appeared, that means an allergy -- seems like a simple way to test.   perhaps applying a small amount of the offending tape to the inside of the wrist is more accurate than elsewhere on the body ???    And less irritating than have a red, itchy patch on ones stomach or other area??    

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling - Thanks for the island info.  I remembered Meigs field, but didn't connect the two.  Can't believe the monocular is only $14.00.  Let us know how you like it.

I agree about allergies changing.  We had a cat growing up, then when I went to visit friends in college I was violently allergic.  Now at 68 it seems I can be around them again but I haven't testing petting yet. 

Deep watering my Frangapani (plumaria) plants so I can get them out of the ground this weekend.  So easy - just pull them out & throw them in the garage.  I don't know if you'd have a long enough season for them to bloom in your snowy climates but I love the memories of Hawaii.

Off to eat leftovers.  Yum.

• Trickling
    Options

Monocular & Binoculars

arrived from Amazon the other day. Intend to try out binoculars this coming Saturday - weather permitting.

MONOCULAR is unbelievably light. Including the neat nylon case with strap, the whole thing weighs no more than a Snickers candy bar and is not much bigger and definitely shorter. I purchased this particular sized monocular because it was the lightest and cheapest I found surfing for something I basically wanted to use for looking at textures up close or even 10 or so feet away by being able to carry it with me almost all of the time. It is working out fine for me.

Note that the area able to be viewed is very small.  Therefore, if I want to look at some of our feathered friends, etc., I have to be already seeing them in such a way as to quickly find them with this narrow lens. There are other, larger relatively lightweight monoculars which allow for much easier locating at such things; however, I wanted the lightest of the lightest and will be using the binoculars for things not really close. Unless I get hooked and need to get a more powerful small device . . . 

ADHESIVE TAPE Re-Testing

Thanks for the tips and encouragement to try again. I will try a few sample tapes for re-testing in December. Prefer to do some in my healthier breast area as well as on wrist or stomach rather than taking a step by step approach. Accept the fact that CVS has taken the stance of not responding to patients or medical staff though such an approach is a sad reminder of the greedy side of human values. (For any new visitors: the adhesive of the CVS product: Hydrocolloid Dressing is the only adhesive to which I have not had an allergic reaction. That product is a specific sized 2 or 4 inch dressing rather than a TAPE.)

Holiday LEFTOVERS

Some food does get even tastier as a leftover!  Not many leftovers from the feast I was at kind of sums up the yummie spread!

• Micki1226
    Micki1226 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi - I found this thread while looking for info on adhesive tape allergies after I had a bad reaction to the tegaderm tape they used the past few times I had an IV. I had a lumpectomy in Dec 2010 and was just diagnosed with colon cancer so I am embarking on another round of chemo soon. Just had a port put in and will be carrying around an infusion pump. i have to figure out how to keep the line attached to the port without the tape.

This adhesive allergy was't a problem 2 yrs ago. I guess our bodies can develop new allergies at any time. I also find that the CVS Advanced Wound Care dressings never bother me. I used them on the incisions around the new port. I wish I knew more about the adhesive used on them. If you have learned anything new, please let me know. I will also be researching and will let you know ifI find anything.

• Trickling
    Options

Hi, Micki1226! Personally, I think the biggest thing we can do for one another is to make a CONCERTED effort to have our MEDICAL PERSONNEL contact CVS Pharmacy about their adhesive and where TAPE with that adhesive is or might be available. My doctor wrote two times without getting a reply. However, that does not mean that the CVS Pharmacy company is not piling up the statistics. Of course, we patients can also contact CVS despite their history of NON-reply and their request info/procedure on the boxes/Intenet of Hydro-Colloid dressings not withstanding.

Your testimony regarding that adhesive speaks volumes for those patients who are unwilling or unable to voice their concerns and experiences. THANK Y Laughing U

Given your recent diagnosis necessitating ports and infusion pumps, I am going sign off and begin scrolling to try to find some of the links to other BC threads, etc. I included in the history of this thread. Every shared experience counts in a unique way - even if the experience seems so similar. A single word or slant on the subject can spark all kinds of things. 

>>> Micki1226 (12/3/2012 posting)  NEEDS tips and is willing to experiment. Everyone: PLEASE chime in if you can.

• GramE
    Options

Hi everyone.   Welcome Micki.   Has anyone thought about the kind of soap one uses before applying tape?    Like - they clean an area with rubbing alcohol before you get a shot on your arm or an IV inserted...    

Just sitting here with morning coffee, planning the day.    Play time for a couple of hours with the 2 grand daughters.  I am not sure I will have the energy to do the grocery store after, but it can wait until tomorrow.  And phone calls for the annual mammo.  It has to be at least a year after the previous one,which takes it to the week after Christmas.  

Nancy

• Trickling
    Options

SORRY, everyone, I cannot continue, today.

I just clicked submit and had an hour's worth of entering new as well as old info wiped out because it said there was some kind of cookie involved.

>>> SUGGESTION to ADMINISTRATORS: stop process via alert but not immediate wipe out.

• Trickling
    Options

Bumping to keep this thread active.

• GramE
    Options

Bumping again to keep active.   

• Trickling
    Options

Okay! Here it is: BUMPING again as it is getting close to the new year. Somehow I feel this bumping is part of those carival rides where people ride BUMPER CARNIVAL CARS and simply take turns bumping. At any rate, the ride is meant for fun.

Sooo, have a HAPPY NEW YEAR full of all kinds of fun everyone, whether you have chosen to post at this thread or simply visit it with a grin or two. 

And, yes, here's a special BUMPING to GramE and MinusTwo who have been so faithful BUMPING this thread in true carnival fashon!

• Deyrl
    Deyrl Member Posts: 5
    Options

You ladies are dedicated... I'm glad you've kept bumping. I am hoping I'm not developing an allergy - the tape my doctor used to hold the gauze in place after my drains were out really bothered me. I was concerned before she removed the drains because my skin under the adhesive part of the bandages seemed more irritated looking each day. I switched daily between a band aid product and a generic with a different shape and adhesive placement, but it was the night they used the adhesive tape that I got big, itchy blisters. Maybe it's just the mechanics of the skin as someone mentioned awhile back? They gave me a roll of that tape, should I test a small amount to see if I'm going to get a reaction? How long would it have to be on for me to know?