Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited January 2012

Hi kiwimum!  hope you are not laughing at my spelling like the others.

I love when my boys have friends in the car and I just listen to them talk and pretend I am not paying attention. 

Ok, goofy story.  Before I my cancer, we always joked about cancer.  Let me explain, my DH is somewhat of a whimp.  If he has a headache, cold, etc, it is the "worst ever", moaning, groaning, etc.  My oldest son started kidding with him and saying maybe he had a tumor everytime he had a headache, knee pain, whatever. For awhile the joke stopped.  Now since I am better anytime that anyone complains, they cough and whisper "tumor".  Ok, maybe you have to be here.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2012

Okay, so I have another thought.  I imagine Sarah saying the Wales comment in that proper English accent.  I bet it sounds so dignified.  I was in england several years ago and we took a train from london to bath.  There was a woman with two young daughters sitting across from us - I would guess they were about 6 years old.  As we pulled into bath, one of the girls ask "Are we going to take a taxi now?"  Not a stunning statement, I realize.  But she said it with this beautiful, proper accent.  She sounded like she could be a genius.  I wish I had an accent.  And a pedicure.

• christine47
    edited January 2012

Lisa, nothing better that a great pedicure.  I can also hear Sarah and her proper English accent. 

Kiwimum, do you have an accent?

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2012

You girls are funny...I can see the humor with the tumor "sickness" Christine..I'm glad you all can joke like that again...back to normal is so very good.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2012

Goodnight Profbee.

• christine47
    edited January 2012

Kmur, glad you appriciate our household humor. 

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Me too with Sarah's accent.. ....I always imagine how your typed words "sound" Sarah. My neighbors have three Newfoundlands and they are English...one dog is called Teddy and it sounds like TED-DEE...I love it and she curses too..somehow when she curses ..it still sounds nice

• kiwimum
    edited January 2012

Oops. I was a page behind and missed all these when I posted goodnight to Profbee.

I definitely have an accent!! I don't know how to explain how I'd sound to you. Two years ago when I was in the States I would often have to repeat myself to shop assistants who didn't understand me.

Definitely NOT laughing at your spelling Christine. Your story about having tumours ... I once got laughed at by my local doc for asking her if she thought my headaches were because I had a brain tumour.

• kiwimum
    edited January 2012

Better add that New Zealanders do NOT sound like Australians. We get quite offended when people say we do. Lol

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2012

Oh no, Kiwi.  I have been imagining you with an austrailian accent.  Going to have figure out what a New Zealand accent sounds like so i can get it straight in my head when I read your posts. :)

I love the austrailian accent by the way.  Really, I cannot think of any accent that I do not love.  Anything different from what i hear every day is always fun.

• kiwimum
    edited January 2012

Actually we probably do sound like Australians a bit. We just don't think we do!

Some NZers in the US you might have heard speak. Rachel Hunter, Anna Pacquin, Karl Urban. Can't think of others off my head.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2012

Good evening all. Just wanted to say "thank you" for the laughs. The Wales comment was hilarious!!!  And don't even get me started on the Madonna nip protectors....OMG!!!

It is also so nice to know I am not the only one who now thinks every ache or pain is now mets... (Realistically I know it probably isn't but the mind is a scary place...lol)  Have I mentioned my ribs and back bother me regularly now?

Christine - I think you asked (I am in Virginia). My husband is the same way (big baby when sick so I get your humor. 

Sarah - sorry the scan itself was rough but I hope the results are great!!

Kiwimum - I agree with Kim, tell your girls American boys are icky! They do grow up too fast, don't they?

Wishing everyone a good & restful night.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2012

You guys are cracking me up tonight!  I love British, Australian and New Zealand accents, I think they sound so proper and lovely!

Kmur - I wish we could pick the excercises we do, I would probably swim.  But mine is guided by three instructors, although I think it will be good to do some strength training.  But the PS said nothing over 5 lbs and no ab work.  But how do you do no ab work, almost everything uses abs??? Anyway, I will not do any situps or anything that targets the abs.  I think the PSs office was surprised, the office mgr was saying "are you SURE you are ready for this?" (It will be 6 weeks tomorrow since double mx & recon.  But if the excercise is hard, I'll only do a little bit and we are starting at very light weights.  Did 3 mile walk today...not hilly on my street!

I too worry about mets.  I have had a pain in my elbow that I thought was caused by Herceptin, but it is not going away.  I've only stopped Herceptin for 1 1/2 month, so I try not to worry about it.  But if it still hurts in Feb when I see MO, I will ask for tests...

• alliesmom15
    alliesmom15 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2012

Thought I would join in the conversation, I have been reading a lot of the posts and find lots of you feeling and sounding like I do.  

You have to find humor in things like this, it really does help with all of the things we have all had to go through.

I just want to mention that I just had some fat transfers Dec 6th ( my PS is a woman about my age, she is wonderful) and had nipple reconstruction.  When I first got it I freaked beacause it was so long but I can happily say it is beautiful now!  It is exactly like my other one, same size and color, I am so happy and have been feeling so much more confident about my breasts, they look really nice.   Cannot wait to have the tattoo, I think I am going to be really happy.

I had gained some weight and decided Jan 1 that I am not going to eat so much.  I have been doing really well with my eating and my exercise, I just need to plan my meals before I get too hungry.  I ordered some Jenny Craig meals just to get me started on eating right, it was only 39.00 for 3 days worth of food, it helped me get my eating on track and now I am just doing it myself.

Thanks for all the funny stories :) 

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited January 2012
    Kiwi: I understand you perfectly. I felt a little bump in my scalp yesterday and my first though was... "what if it's mets". I think this is what women refer as my "new normal"  Foot in mouth 
  • kmur
    edited January 2012

I just wanted to start the day with a funny story....

I shared "Wales is a hilly country" with my husband last night as we were all typing away....

Later...in the evening...I was making the guys ice cream sundaes ( sp ) anyway...I asked my son

"would you like a Sundae"  "maybe in a little bit",he said....My husband said ' If you want one,you should get it now cause Wales is  a hilly country and ice cream is only being served one time"....

My son said "what??"

We laughed.....

Just wanted to say thanks for the laughs and hopefully Sarah with all the yuckiness of the day..you were left feeling better.

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2012

You guys were cracking me up on the stories last nite and Kim your husband added to that humor how funny is that?  Sometimes I openly laugh when I read every-ones post and my husband thinks I am a whack job as he doesn't realize how much fun we can all have........ha ha

Jen I too have been trying to be good weight wise as I am up 14lb and I keep trying but without my walking or lack of exercise I just don't seem to have the ooomph to do it.  So today I started WW on my own again and I am going to write everything down and hope it snaps me into shape.  As I was never thin, well I was before hubby but since having kids I ballooned up to a 14 and 2 years ago when I started Tamox I lost 20lbs as I was REALLY trying and I was so happy to be in a 10.  I am now squeezing into a 12 and I don't like it....I need to feel really be good as I am happiest being in a 10.....so here is hoping I can stick to something this new year and not let all this foot crap get in my way.....

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday.

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2012

kmur:  You are just too funny!  I'm glad I'm reading this in the middle of the day so my family doesn't think I'm delirious laughing at the computer again.

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2012

You all are cracking me up!!!!!!!!  I keep trying to get on and post, but wearing my self out trying to catch up with reading everyone's posts. Then I just quit and say I will come back later, but then there is more to read. 

I love Kim's rational with exercise gives me the right to eat something.  I also am one that sits down to watch Biggest Loser with a snack.  I don't know what it is about that show that makes me want to eat.  Maybe I should quit watching it.

Christine-understand the tumor humor also, don't know if my DH would though, he's not much of a jokester.

I was cracking up about Wales is a hilly country when my DS age 9 asked me what I was laughing at.  I just said Wales is a hilly country, you should have seen the look on his face.  I too love accents.

Thankfully I have all of you to help me stay in line with "what if it's mets"  I am glad I am not the only one.  Still having shoulder pain, but my Sept. PET said all is well so I try not to worry.

Sarah- was thinking about you and your scan, I am sorry it was such an ordeal.  I hope you get the results you need. Do you or did you get them today?

Kiwi- glad you had such a nice vacation. 

Hello to all of the new girls.  I wish I could remember all of your names, but chemo and menopause--enough said.  I will learn your names soon.  Keep posting!

Sorry it is so long this time.  I will try to post more often. Life just seems to get in the way.  I guess that is a good thing. Hope you all are having a great day! Not even going to join the diet/exercise talk.  I have good intentions that I very rarely follow through with. Take care!!!! Sorry if I missed anyone.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Everybody,

Odie you are in Virginia...So pretty there..that is one of the many places I tell my husband I could live ...

kiwimum....Like the others here...love the accent too...I am truly one of those kooks that would probably start talking like you if I hung around you too long or English like Sarah...maybe I would sound smart then ...Lol

Alliesmom...I also have a lady PS I also love her...She is our general age too..and we just click ..I'm so happy you have good results....did you have to wear the fancy nipple guards like Christine?? We have said so many times on this thread ...we never would have said such words...but it is a wide open exchange now!!! BTW...I had hillbilly nipple guards that,in reality,were giant cotton balls....Lol  ...so that is where the "jealousy" comment comes from

Meegan....I wonder if each Y is a little different...I asked because of the back issues...I did not want to create issues for the other folks in the group.  I am with you on the "what is this pain all about"

Today I saw my obgyn....I love her...She also had cancer..when I go in to see her..we really talk.  She knows how we feel.  I did tell her I have always been healthy as a horse. We spoke about my back and she said. My doctor may order scans to not only see what is going on but for my sanity!! (my word ) I also pointed out an area on my chest kind of between the breast but close to the BC side that has been a little tender. I thought it could be a lymph node....she said you don't have lymph nodes there but taught me where they are. I think it was rads...

achpurple....they make me laugh all the time....

Sorry for the long post...wanted to connect with each...but I better quit typing ...I'm too windy..

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Mamchick...I missed your post

• mamachick
    edited January 2012
    I just remember something and I think it was this thread about someone saying they had Barbie boobs with no nipples.  I have a friend who never did the nipple recon and she calls them here smoothies.  Even her husband calls them that.  I personally wanted them done.  They are the only thing I like from my exchange. Sorry if this is completely off.  I have been reading a lot of threads today.Smile
  • blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2012

thanks Mamchick, the barbie boob comment was me.  Glad to get perspectives of everyone, smoothies and nipple recons alike! lol!

you ladies are funny!  i'll never think of Wales without thinking of the hilly countryside!  and as for accents, love them.  I grew up in Virginia so even a southern accent has a special place in my heart.

had a nice dinner, didn't eat too much junk today and getting ready to hop on the treadmill.  have a good night everyone!

• alliesmom15
    alliesmom15 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2012

@ KMUR I didnt have to wear a nipple guard, just 4 cosmetic sponges stacked with holes in them.  My nipple has gotten to the right size and the stupid things slip off now.  I hope I can quit wearing them soon.

I had one barbie boob and the other was a normal nipple boob (how is that for never saying this in a real converstation LOL)  I liked not having to wear a bra, the normal nipple I just taped down with a bandaid LOL  I just didnt like it when I looked at them naked.

Did you all read the news article about DES being linked Breast Cancer in women in their 40's?  It wont let me post a link but google it.  I am pretty sure my mom was given it, she had 3 miscarriages between me and my sister and since that is what they used it for I am interested to find out.  I put in a request to the hospital I was born in and so did my mother for our medical records.  Guess I will know next week.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Alliesmom.... I probably should not joke about such things really. We have said so often it is unreal what we talk about now...never would have dreamed I would be talking about this. I will google DES..thanks for that information.

Good night everyone

• mamachick
    edited January 2012

Okay, it has been killing me till I could get back to the computer.  I want to apologize for my comment about accents, which I since have deleted in case someone goes looking.  I realize what I was trying to say did not come across as what I was thinking so please forgive me.  So I will go now and try to get my foot out of my mouth. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

About DES... I think it would not affect women in their 40s... if memory serves me right, my sister was having some trouble getting pregnant and my mom mentioned something about DES .. wondering if it had affected my sister, who is no 53.. I think it was discontinued before I was born in 1963.. but I am saying this from recollection of a conversation... Does Googel say when it was removed from the market?

Editing... It was 1971.. so I am wrong... but I guess my mom didn't take it with me, only my sister.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012
    Diethylstilbestrol (DES, former BAN stilboestrol) is a synthetic nonsteroidal estrogen that was first synthesized in 1938. It is also classified as an endocrine disruptor. Human exposure to DES occurred through diverse sources, such as dietary ingestion from supplemented cattle feed and medical treatment for certain conditions, including breast and prostate cancers. From about 1940 to 1970, DES was given to pregnant women in the mistaken belief it would reduce the risk of pregnancy complications and losses. In 1971, DES was shown to cause a rare vaginal tumor in girls and women who had been exposed to this drug in utero. The United States Food and Drug Administration subsequently withdrew DES from use in pregnant women. Follow-up studies have indicated that DES also has the potential to cause a variety of significant adverse medical complications during the lifetime of those exposed.The United States National Cancer Institute recommends that women born to mothers who took DES undergo special medical exams on a regular basis to screen for complications as a result of the drug. Individuals who were exposed to DES during their mothers' pregnancies are commonly referred to as DES daughters and DES sons.
  • ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2012

Hi All, I'm excited, I found out today that through the Y program, I actually get a 3 month free membership. So now I can go on other days if I want.  This will be great for the winter since I don't have a treadmill.  I wish I was farther away from surgery and could take more advantage of it and sample more of the classes.  Oh well, I will not be able to take most of the classes in a few weeks when I go back to working anyway... Can we invent a way to stay home all the time and still get paid for it and NOT be sick???

• kiwimum
    edited January 2012

When you invent that job Meegan - I want it too!

I'm still on holiday and loving doing nothing except hanging with my children (when they're not dumping me for their friends that is).