Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2012

Betsy I belong to a gym, but with my children being too young I feel there is never enough time to go there but it is on my agenda to try and figure out how to fit this in.  See walking was so much easier as I got up and walked at 5:30 in the morning, did my 3 miles and felt great all day.  I also don't have the strength as I do walking.  When I did do the bike at the gym I could only last 10 minutes.  Hopefully I can find the time to hit the gym and fit it in, will keep you posted.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited January 2012

Hi all!

Thanks for your kind comments. Kim - I have a CT every 6 months. It was every 3 last year, so it's getting better. I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining about my son being autistic, because he is the light of my life and I wouldn't have him any other way! I know what you mean about the "license to stuff" after exercising!  I used to go to the gym and run a lot when I weighed  135/140lbs (20s and early 30s) and I always looked at the calories burned thing only to think - well, I'll have that Chinese/Mars Bar/wine, whatever! as I've burned so many cals. Never lost an ounce.

Hi to Ralston!  BTW, when I went on/off effexor at 32, I put on 70lbs in 3 years. It is evil stuff and hell to come off - I'm still on it 12 years later. Did nothing for OCD or depression, in fact, it caused depression!  Hoping to change to another SSRI soon. I'm sure that things will improve for you - we all feel in limbo during treatment and afterwards it is common to feel a weird anti-climax-type of feeling. After all, you 've been through an extremely life-changing time . Unfortunately, things will never be the same again. The phrase "A new normal" is often used to describe this on here. Good luck with the rads and everything else.

Hi to Janie too.

Also - my experience with tamoxifen, which I was on for about 20 months, was that it didn't cause weight gain, but made it difficult to lose . Quite  a few women at my slimming club felt the same way. I was constantly cold with it and very hungry. I'm on femara now which seems a bit better in that respect.

Love, Sarah x

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited January 2012

Thank you Sarah! Unfortunately, I am taking tamoxifen and Effexor is the only antidepressent that does not interefe with it, but if effexor is not going to make me feel better, I would rather not to take anything. I gain 30 pounds during chemo and I think this is one of the main reasons why I feel terrible. I am not as hungry, but I am having a really hard time to find the motivation to exercise and change my diet. I know the path, but I am strugling to get there. Thank you again!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited January 2012

I tried Zumba once a few months after my BMX...now I love to dance and have done line dancing for years but Zumba completely through me...I can follow steps or move my arms but I cannot do both at the same time...I also think I tried to do too much too soon so now I have an aversion to to Zumba (although I do like Kims approach with the apple fritter)!!!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2012

I was not going to poke my nose in again as I keep on rambling,BUT had to say Sarah.. I would have never thought you were complaining about your son...I can just tell in the words you have shared here that he is your world . Sorry to ask about your scan in that way...afterwards I thought that may sound rude,I guess I get concerned about you all. I will be thinking of you,please let us know how you are.

Ralston....I'm sorry you are feeling this way.....It is not easy to just be let go after treatment...I sometimes get troubled too,but ...I refuse to let it get me. I will enjoy each day ..laugh as much as I can and smile as much as possible...eat bad stuff sometimes and have a drink now and then. I hope we all find our way to the new normal as Sarah said....it is true though ...we will not be as we were,but I think in many ways ..we can be better. I hope you don't mind me saying that ..hope that does not sound preachy....I just want you to feel better too.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited January 2012

Hello to all our new girls.  I am sure you will feel right at home with all of us 40 somethings. We discuss just about everything and every emotion here.  I absolutely love this thread and feel like I know some of you personally.  I promise I do have a real life too.

Ok, I am going to weigh in on the plantar fascitis discussion.  It CAN get better!  Some are lucky, have an injection, take a few Ibuprofen and just get better.  About 10% will have persistant pain and will need physical therapy, orthotics and modification of activity.  Keep icing, non weight bearing activity, ibuprofen and wear good shoes.  If you need to wear a nice shoe you will do best with a 2- 21/2 inch heel, and stiff sole.  Do NOT wear flats or go barefoot.  Also stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch before you get up in the morning.

Ralston, I think we have all been there.  I am glad you are finding help.  When I finished treatment I expected to be better, so far from the truth.  I am gradually making progress and feeling like myself.  I do feel better since I am eating healthier (most of the time), exercising and making myself a priority.

Kmur, you never hog the page, I love your posts and funny thoughts.  I love hearing about all of your.  I feel like I know little Jack (profbee), I am excited about surgery for mamachick, etc.

Ok, I exercised today and cooked a good dinner.  Wish tomorrow was not monday.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

I missed the last couple of posts as i was typing...Ralston..I read what I wrote again and thought it may not sound as I meant ....I wish I could say the right thing to make you feel better so that was my attempt. Hope I didn't sound otherwise.

Michelle...I don't know if I can shake my tush and walk forward at the same time .....it cracks me up ...at the moment I do well to salsa!!  Lol

• christine47
    edited January 2012

Seems like Latin women are the hottest thing right now.  I do like how they have bigger butts and more curves.  (hope I am not offending anyone).  My young PS is of similiar origin, maybe why he doesn't want to lipo my butt, lol.

• christine47
    edited January 2012

just realized I missed a whole page of posts!  Great to hear from everyone.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Christine!!  Thanks for saying that ...sometimes I feel I go on and on.....and my humor sometimes amuses mostly me Lol

This is so completely off subject but do you 40 somethings know who will do the halftime show for the superbowl?????  I'm wondering if she will sport Christines nipple guards!!!  LOL

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

June... I understand the time problem... walking is something you can do wherever you are, whenever its convenient... I was having trouble getting to the gym this fall, and since I was also in surgical recovery thought it not worth my time to make the drive to the gym because I wasn't sure what  I could do... But with winter break, I found the time... My PT had me using the bike and leg press to help the PT, and lots of stretching. I think based on what she said, strengthening your calves helps the PT, but how do you strengthen your calves if you are in pain with PT... chicken or the egg situation... I would "schedule" some time in the morning at home to stretch and ice... and make sure you wear good shoes... I also have fat pad problems so I try to find orthodics that also have extra cushioning in the heel. For me, I think I started favoring the heel due to the fat loss and it caused my PT.

• christine47
    edited January 2012

Kmur, I was asked to do the Super Bowel half time show (doing Zumba routine and wearing my nipple guards), but I am busy.  Not sure who they will use now.

Betsy, maybe try stationary calf raises to strengthen your calves, but be sure to stretch well and ice when you are done.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

I heard on the radio Madonna will do Vogue and 4 other songs...I think it will be really fun to see her on the show

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

Thanks Christine... I am past the major pain now that I have met with the therapist about 12 times.... getting started though can be an obstacle.

• christine47
    edited January 2012

Glad you are doing better Betsy!  How are you managing post your last surgery?

Kmur, I LOVE Madonna, she is one of us!

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

I am 8 weeks post op... doing ok except I can see I will need more (I have a hard part that may be necrosis (dead))so I am a little obcessed about it... otherwise, i am good.. getting to the gym, went biking yesterday... THEN there is the Tamoxifen. Last night I was dealing with vertigo... oh joy!

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2012

Thanks Betsy and Christine for all the advice.  I am going to try and get my butt into the gym and hopefully do some biking.  I am scheduled for another PT to teach me all over again hoe to walk, gait and posture. I just had my 2nd shot of cortisone and NOTHING.....just feeling like every doctor I talk to doesn't take me seriously...... I will do just about anything......so I will let you know tomorrow.  Anyway, thanks for letting me vent as I am so obviously frustrated at lack of mobility.....you guys are great.

• christine47
    edited January 2012

Betsy, I hear you on the obsessing.  My implants look very nice and I obcess that I should have done something different (DIEP, etc). I have no pain, look good and still worry.  Reading about the PIP implants that where used in France/Europe and I go crazy.  Oh well.

June, I am sure your docs are taking you seriously.  I know how frustrating plantar fascitis can be.  Are you wearing a night splint?  Taking an NSAID regularly?  Also, no barefeet or slippers, keep those shoes on, even in the house.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited January 2012

Kim - don't worry, you are never rude - always lovely!

Loads of stuff here about the French implants, widely used in UK too. I'm afraid I don't know much about it, will read up on it. Re: Latin women - my son has a big crush on Jennifer Lopez/J-Lo. I told him she was born in '69 and is officially an old girl like his Mum. He was surprised but still thinks she's sexy!  She may have a big butt but she is only a size 10 (6 US, I think). Still, with her money, it's easy to pay for people to help you look good. He likes Kylie too ( Aussie singer/actress, very popular here), who's 43, but botoxed up to the eyeballs!  Paradoxically, my OH (47) fancies young, 20ish pop-stars!  Though he also likes Heather Locklear and Gillian Anderson. Men, eh?!

Sorry, in a rambling mood. Please ignore my going-on. Nervous about tomorrow...

Sarah x

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2012

Hi Sarah and others who have not posted recently.  And welcome to the new people.

Going a couple of pages back, but June, let me tell you what that Ben & Jerry's got you . . . comfort.  Nothing wrong with that.  No one ever felt happy or less stressed after eating broccoli.  

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2012

Hello Janie & Ralston. Welcome to the group. I hope you find as much comfort and laughter in these boards as I have. These are some of the best ladies.

Kim - I have to say that I love to dance and love Zumba. Not good at it, but love it. During the holidays, I bought the Zumba party two game for the WI.my husband  When I tried it, I did not rank above suck level...ha ha but burnt over 200 calories in that time... At the time, I was only two weeks out from exchange surgery so the arm activity was a bit too much that soon. Now that I am almost 6 weeks out, I need to start doing it regularly.

June - Just wanted you to know that I love watching Biggest Loser and my husband always wants a snack of some sort during the show. Seems wrong to eat cake or ice cream while watching it but since hubby can afford the calories, why not? I do not indulge and must just live vicariously thru him. I hope your PT gets better so you can get back to walking or biking soon. I like walking on my lunch or on weekends to be relaxing and helpful to keeping my butt size reasonable. 

Sarah  - Sending you warm thoughts and hugs for the CT visit tomorrow. We will be with you in spirit.

As for trips planned, February is looking busy in my world. I have a trip to CT for business the beginning of the month and a girls long weekend at the beach near the end of the month.

Sad to see Sunday is almost over and Monday is around the corner... Hope everyone has a good week...

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2012

Forgot to say - good luck tomorrow sarah.  I hope you get some good news.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Sarah,...thanks and good wishes for you tomorrow. You are not rambling and scans/appointments make me kind of on edge. We will be thinking of you.

Odie...you are most likely a better Zumba(er) than me...I'm pretty sure I would fall somewhere in the pretty awful category!! I also like the physique 57 workout.. it is really hard for me. I was doing that one pre DX and for the first time ever...I could do boy push ups. I need to do that and switch around I think...I have to be careful right now though because of my goofy back...

Good night everyone

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2012

I've been away on holiday for 7 days and there are LOTS of new posts to read.  I will go back later tonight when the girls are in bed.

Hi to all the new ladies.  You will fit right in here!

We've had a great break away.  We take the girls every year to a beach about 5 hours drive from here.  There is no TV, no cellphone coverage, no internet, no shops.  It is totally wild and beautiful and we had a great time.  We swam heaps, played board games, ate too much and drank too much too.  It's always nice to arrive home though - our 4th load of washing is currently in the machine.  I still have the rest of the week off on holiday before going back to work next week. It will be nice to relax for a week at home.

Anyway, I just wanted to check in and say hi before unpacking more bags.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2012

Have to catch up, but good luck today, Sarah!!

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Everyone,

Kiwimum...welcome back and the beach trip you describe sounds like Heaven....I always try to picture places like that in my mind.  So my vision is warm,waves,sounds of ocean&birds.  Made my morning to think about that.

Odie...I forgot to ask which beach you are heading to?

We went to PonteVedra Florida for the first time two years ago.  We took a ferry to a state park on Little Talbot Island and we were the only humans on the beach...it was really so pretty and there were lots of tidal pools we could actually wade in and little baby pompano fish swam with us...I have been to tropical places ,but this was really the most fun I have ever had at the beach.

Thanks for bringing beach memories to my mind....

• Janie-bug
    Janie-bug Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2012

Hello ladies...thank you all for the warm welcome. I am so glad I found you all. Reading throung the theard has made me laugh so many times thank you for that too.

Profbee--yes I am going back to work next week I took 6 weeks off. That the longest time I have been off in 12 yrs. So back to work I go. I do live close to Berea just 30 mins away. My neace lives there. Its a beautiful small towm. Sorry you have to miss the wedding.

• blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2012

Thanks for the welcomes!  Posted for the first time but got nervous and deleted it.  Glad to have somewhere to check in and see how fellow fighters are feeling during their battle.  My Oncologist says I'm cancer free and wants me to keep taking the tamoxifen for the next 5 years and hopefully that'll be it.  Recommended to exercise daily and keep my weight down.  Always tough this time of year but hoping to get back into the swing of a regular routine.  I had dmx in Sept and in Dec had my te's swapped for implants.  Doing good but I think the initial panic is over and everything is kind of sinking in.  Trying to follow all the recommendations plus trying not to use microwave, anti-perspirant, or eat red meat.  Also trying to eat organic as much as I can afford and taking vitamins.

@Ralston, completely understand the feelings!  I feel like I could drive myself crazy just trying to make sure the cancer doesn't come back but it really sucks knowing ultimately I have little to no control over that.  Did I mention I'm a bit of a control freak??? 

thanks for sharing for being open and sharing ladies! 

t

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi blueyez,

I did the same thing with my first post for the same reason.  I have not ever been one to chat on line and I am not computer savvy.. It is not easy to be let go after treatment...Over time it has become more normal...but ( maybe someone will have a different take ) but I do think after being DX little pains are not the same anymore. Don't really like that I can't just chalk it up to getting older ... I know I really think about things in a new way.

Today I called my ONC because I still have low back pain issues. I have had problems with my back for years but usually I can suck it up and feel better through bowflex....I will be giving it a few more days and then go to my regular doc.I guess. So needless to say I am not shaking my tush to the latin music today ( It could kill me !! Lol )  I did walk today 4 miles..it was pretty this am chilly though...I keep telling my husband we need to head further south .

Hope you all are having a good day/morning/evening

Kim

• christine47
    edited January 2012

Sarah, Thinking of you all day!!

Kmur, hope your back feels better soon, impressive still walking 4 miles.

Hi to all.