Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2012

Welcome Blueyez......I see your from Mass, where abouts?

Odie you are too funny.....

Kim way to go walking 4 miles....love it and so jealous I would do anything right about now to put on my headphones and just walk.  The weather has been surprisingly nice and we only had snow in October.....went to PT again today and I am having a much better day today.....fingers crossed!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2012

Kim - We are going to Mrytle Beach, SC for the girls weekend next month. It will be too chilly to swim but we don't mind as we just love the beach & sand in between the toes for a bit. We are planning Cancun next year so we can have the best of both worlds (warm & sunny)... Not so sure I am really all that good at Zumba either but apparently as long as you keep moving, most everyone else doesn't notice. Some are just too busy trying to catch their breath which sometimes includes me. Way to go on walking 4 miles today even though your back didn't feel up to it. Funny story... I took a walk on my lunch break today too (only a mere mile) .. When I started out, it seemed chilly but not overly so. As I was walking, I kept seeing "dust" which I decided must be ashes off the cigarette the lady walking a bit ahead of me was smoking. However after she turned off to her office building, I continued to see the "dust"... By the time I reached my office building what apparently were the flurries I hadn't heard about or expected, had turned into one of those full blown blizzard type snows that are so pretty but cause no real issues. Sigh.....

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited January 2012

Thanks for the welcomes and your always incredible support! Kimi: Not need to apologize, I totally understood what you meant. I am taking one day at a time and I will try positive guided imagery. I will begin rads sometime next week, so I need to remember where is my "happy place"... somehow in the process I lost it... Frown

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2012

Hi Everyone,

June, glad you are feeling a bit better.

I did my walk today so that my back stays stretched out really. I did some stretches here at home too. So that was about it though for me. When this happens if I do not move around I feel I almost get stuck....how old am I again???

Odie ..I can not remember what state you are from with the snow and all. That is funny you thought smoke! I bet you will have a great time in Myrtle Beach ( chilly or warm) I bet it will be fun to be with your friends.

Ralston...I'm so glad you understood what I meant. One day at a time is a good thing. I hope rads will be very easy for you. I know everyone is so different, but I thought rads were not bad at all.

Hope you did ok today Sarah.

Good night ladies. The championship game is on. Go Alabama!!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2012

Hi all.  Just finished a brisk 30 minutes on my new recumbent bike.  The first 10 minutes I wanted to quit but I pushed on, focused on the championship game, and made it through.  Felt good at the end.  All my little aches and pains go away when I exercise, so I need to keep it up.  And I had a health piece of fish for dinner.  Yeah for me.  Except that I coated in this DELICIOUS salt I just bought, so my BP is probably rising as I sit here.  LOL.  If you are salt freak (I am - weird, I know), I highly recomment saltworks.com - gourmet and organic salts.  So good.  My favorites are Bonfire (a heavy smoky taste) and Wildfire (lighter smoky taste with garlic and herbs).  Both are magnificent on fish.

So a sad story today.  No one I know but a friend of friend whose story I started following through our mutual friend.  Her son died today from cancer.  On his 9th birthday.  Can you believe that?!  He has been on chemo and other various treatments for 5 years - SINCE HE WAS 4 YEARS OLD.  That is just wrong.  It makes me sad and angry.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2012

Welcome to the new ladies, we are glad to have you.  I see have a missed a lot of posts in the past few days.

Lisa - so sorry about the little boy, that is just too terrible.  I get sick thinking of any young kids fighting disease like that for practically there whole lives.

on a lighter note: Re: Excercise.  I joined a free excercise program for cancer patients/survivors at the YMCA today, called Living Strong, Living Well.  ProfBee - maybe yours is similiar?  This program is for 12 weeks and meets 2 times a week for 1 hour 15 minutes.  I missed the first week last week, which I'm glad about as they were still just showing us how to use the machines today, we learned how to use the 3 leg machines.  Sounds like its a mix of ~20 mins cardio, then ~40 minutes weight training and then 15 minutes stretching.  And its FREE!  Will be good for the winter and since I'm on leave, this will be the only time I can do it.  Of course it goes beyond my leave, do you think I can stretch the truth a bit and tell work it is Physical Therapy recommended by dr?? Luckily, I got into the lunchtime spot, so that will help with work.

Re: Nutrition.  Many of you are probably far beyond me in this as I don't really cook, but more on that another day.  Anyway, I am trying to take baby steps, so the other day we changed brands of our whole wheat bread.  We have been eating whole wheat for ages, but usually bought whatever brand was on sale.  Then I found out that some (many) of the brands have high fructose corn syrup in them!  I was very disappointed as I am definately trying to eliminate HFCS from my diet.  As DH does the shopping, it took a little while, but we did switch for good to a brand (Arnolds) that does not have that and I told the rest of my family also.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi everyone,

Lisa...so sorry to hear about that little guy. That makes me mad and sad too. So unfair. I hope his parents will find peace.

Good for you with the exercise and healthy dinner. I find myself having conversations about different salts or the flavor of a particular butter...I am sometimes reminded of Saturday Night Live and the radio program   " Salt"...sorry I am rambling again ...just struck me funny...I love food though so I could talk about how flaky a biscuit is for 10 minutes!!

Readingmama...that is the same program I will start on the 17th. I just have to get my doctor to sign my paperwork. The Y coordinator said I could choose water aerobics or whatever. Should be fun. I think we may join as a family for the pool and it is only about a mile 1/2 from our house. I will have to look at our bread. We have Aunt Millies Cracked Wheat...who knows though what is in that bread ...I will read.

Have a good day everyone,

Kim

• blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2012

@Kim, 4 miles is great with a sore back! I guess I can't use the blister on my toe as an excuse! LOL! You've inspired me to go get on my treadmill and suck it up!!  no pain no gain, right?

Swelling has mostly gone away with my new implants but my left side looks kind of square on the bottom.  PS says we can tweek it after we finish with the nipple procedure and tattoos.  Has anyone else had to have their initial surgery tweeked?

I'm leaning towards not doing any additional surgeries because I am so sick of hospitals and Doctors right now. I figure I'm cancer free and that's good enough for me!  The right looks awesome and even the left is good except the bottom.   My PS says don't decide anything right away, after a bit of time I may change my mind and want it fixed.  

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited January 2012

Hi, lovely ladies!

Thanks for all your good wishes re: my ct scan. It was hideous as they couldn't find a vein to put in the contrast dye and I was nearly sent home, only we did managed it after nearly an hour!  My hands were dripping with sweat (lovely!) and I was and holding onto the nurse's finger, very tightly. She did manage to extricate it, though. Now, have to wait till next Wednesday for the results.

So sorry to hear about the little boy of your aquaintance, Lisa. Words fail me at the injustice of it.

Glad you are all trying to stick to New Year healthy resolutions!  I have sold my exercise bike, but still have to assemble the treadmill. Of course, I could go out the door and walk round our neighbourhood, but Wales is a hilly country!  Need massive amounts of motivation and a kick up the backside! (Literally!)

Love to you all,

Sarah xx

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2012

Oh, Lisa.  I'm so sorry.  A million times through this I have thought better it is me than my son.  I don't know how I would have endured.  What a strong little man to go through so much in his short life.  I'm just so sorry.  Sarah's right...injustice.  It just isn't right.

Insert awkward transition here.  :)

I loved Sarah's "but Wales is a hilly country."  I think that will now be my answer to everything.  Honey, the dishes need to be done...but Wales is a hilly country.  Mom, I have no clean socks...but Wales is a hilly country.  Sorry for your rough day, and hoping for great results.  

Blueyez...I was convinced that I wasn't going to do nipples.  Then, I saw the PS today.  He convinced me in 2 minutes.  LOL.  He said, "Oh, but you're so young.  When you look in the mirror, your boobs don't look real.  You want them to look real. I usually spend my day talking people OUT of surgery!"  Then he said that the nipple surgery was easy with little recovery time, so I guess I'm in.  LOL.  

kmur and readingmama...yeah, I think that the Y does the Livestrong thing that Lance Armstrong started.  This is called "well fit" and it's just at this gym, but I'd guess it's the same sort of thing.  PS gave me the okay (even though I started last week lol), and just said, "Are you doing stuff on your stomach?  No.  Then, you're fine."  He's so laid back.  EXCEPT I have to continue to wear a damn bra 24/7 for 2 months!  ARGGGGh.  I thought I'd never have to wear a bra again!  BLERG. 

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Everyone,

Sarah...sorry you had to go through all that.  wish I could run a covered dish over to you. Wish we were all closer to walk together or sit and have a fritter maybe ( had to put that in there).  I know how you feel though so wish I could do something!!

blueyez....I wish I could say I'm good ( since I walked) but I then think I earned something good to eat!! Lol  With my back though ..it is somehow better if I do not sit too long.  I have had my surgery tweaked with fat grafting...seems to work very well ..I may have it one more time...we will see in Feb. Glad to know your swelling is better.  With time the implant does seem to change a bit. (settles)

I will see my regular doctor Thursday..see what she thinks. If I had not had all this stuff ( like you all have had too) I would suck it up to I have back issues...but feel it is best to have it checked out.

Hope everyone had a good day

• profbee
    edited January 2012

Kim, are you worried it's more than just the 'ole bad back?  Are you going to ask for a scan?  

When the docs answered my "how will I know if I have mets" question with "back pain" in the list, hubby laughed out loud and said, "How would she ever know?!"  

I suffer from a bad back too--all my life--and I know just how you feel.  Moving does help.  (She says from the couch.) 

• lisalock
    lisalock Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2012

Hey! Sorry it took a few days to respond, thank you for the very warm welcome!  To answer your question, Betsy I tried tamoxifen for 10 months after I finished chemo but it wasn't very friendly to my very very premenopausal body (I felt like i was in permanant PMS, road rage, etc.) so my onc and I decided to stop.  So for the past 10 years, I've just been doing checkups until this pain started in my sternum.  Now I'm on tamoxifen again and effexor this time because that mellows out the side effects and it seems to be.  One plus, my period was much lighter than normal!  gotta always look for perks, right? So i'm just plugging along...9 radiation treatments in and I'm feeling a bit better!  yay!!

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Profbee...I wish I could say I am not concerned at all...and like you ..I have had back issues for years...actually I used to carry my son on my left hip all the time...then I had a herniated disk..could not put my own shoes on Lol ...I could stand..walk..but not sit or lay down!! I did get better though...and every now and then I will feel it..but now I just think about That too....I said the same thing to my doctor,I have had pain here and there for years..how the heck do you know ???Lol

• blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2012

@profbee, I keep saying without the nipples I look like a Barbie doll.  LOL!  I definitely want to finish the reconstruction and have nipples again.  Let me know how yours turn out. LOL! Some of the things I've found myself having to say after getting the bc diagnosis. so unreal! 

@ Lisa, your in my thoughts and your great attitude is inspirational :)  best of luck with your treatments.  I can definitely identify with the tamoxifen side affects.  some days I am so grumpy! ugh!

• profbee
    edited January 2012

I have not been giving in to the insanity that is my Tamoxifin side effect.  I definitely feel the mood swings--I had a few days there I thought I'd need to box up my son and ship him to his grandparents in Florida--but I think it's getting better.  I just won't admit I'm having a side effect because I know I need to be on this.  sigh.  We can do this, Lisa!  

Kim, have you tried any PT?  I had really great success with that before my cancer dx.  (Wow--it just totally hit me when I typed that I've had a cancer diagnosis...it still seems so crazy.)  Anyway, I have scoliosis, so I can throw out my back pretty easily.  Exercise under a PT's care is all that would help me when I really put it out.  

Blueyes--I have no more modesty.  Hell, I'll SHOW em to you!  LOL!!! 

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Yes,profbee..I did do that and it was great...ever since I have been able to shake it off when it starts to bother me  and...I know ...sometimes I can not believe I have this DX too...just can not be real...I do think it is just my back doing what it does,but I will just have it checked out.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited January 2012

Hi ladies!

Sarah, I will be praying until tomorrow that you have good scan results, so sorry to hear that had such difficulty with the dye/sticking you.  You have such a great attitude, I like profbee am still laughing at your phrase "but Whales is a hilly country".  I was going to go to the Y tonight, but I am using this excuse too.

Oldie, are you in the south?

Blueyez, several of us have had the nipple reconstruction and tattos and it looks like profbee is next.  I would also say an easy surgery.  I had some tweeking of my implants with fat grafting at the time of my nipple reconstruction and things are look good.  I wore some crazy nipple guards after the surgery, all the others on this thread were jealous (think Madonna).

Kmur, you know how I crazy I was a month or so ago when I was having tailbone pain (which I still have), I am sorry that you have to worry about your back pain.  Get a scan, xray or whatever you need for reassurance, then work on feeling better.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited January 2012

Yeah, a good, all purpose excuse, there!  I like your spelling of "Whales" for "Wales", Christine!  I had a good laugh at you putting "Super Bowel" a few pages back - the mind boggles on that one!

I really need to get my butt in gear - no excuses! There was a British woman called Jane Tomlinson who had breast cancer and unfortunately died a few years ago. She was dx'ed with terminal cancer and did loads of marathons, Iron man contests and even cycled across America. I have her book and although I can't copy her - as if! - I'm sure   I can manage a 30 minute walk a few times a week. Thanks for your kind thoughts,

Kim - sorry to hear about your bad back. I do think you should get it checked out, though it sounds like what you have had for a long time.

Sarah x

• kmur
    edited January 2012

I missed that first post by profbee...had to go back and read to see what Christine meant by Hilly Country....that was funny...I think I will try that too! You all make me laugh about something every time.

Christine..yes I remember that...I think you are correct ...ThanksSmile

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited January 2012

sarah, I can NOT spell.  Even when my children were in primary school I needed to use the list to quiz them on their spelling.  I refuse to use spell check, my husband finds my grocery lists funny.  Fortunately at work I dictate everything and someone else does the spelling.  If I need to write, I write messy so you can't see my spelling. 

profbee, you promised early on not to correct any grammer.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Doggone...now I missed  your post Sarah....Thanks for always be so kind....I think it will be ok...but don't you just hate where the mind goes because of this "situation"...i don't like this situation much....

Oh I tell you if Madonna wears those guards for the "superbowel" I will be logging on!!!

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2012

Thanks for the laughs!

I hate this anxiety. I've had cramp in my right foot 5 times today ... my mind goes to the "what if it's mets" place. I'd never tell DH because he'd think I'm being a dork.

My 10 DD has two friends over today. Sitting here listening to their conversations is hilarious. One girl is moving the the US for 5 months when the Americas Cup is on in San Francisco. She is sitting here telling the girls about how she's going to get an American boyfriend. Hilarious

• kiwimum
    edited January 2012

I've just read some of the exercise and nutrition posts. My exercise has been zero and my nutrition pretty shocking too.

Today I'm using the "Wales is a hilly country" excuse. Maybe tomorrow ... Or the next day ... Or the next.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Kiwimum...I know ....I used to put aside this pain or that and push on ( I guess us girls do that)...I would like to be like that.

You can tell those girls They don't want an American Boyfriend ( YUCK)  LOL

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2012

I am too exhausted to even put together a thought right now.  Counting down to vacation and I think my boss is trying to kill me before I go.  Sadly, the only thought I can muster right now is that I am in horrible need of a pedicure.  These hair growth pills also speed up nail growth.  My toe nails look like some sort of animal.  

I would go get a pedicure tonight, but Wales is a hilly country. 

• kiwimum
    edited January 2012

Lol. I can't believe my daughter has reached an age where she wants a boyfriend!!

I'll tell those girls just to see their reaction. They'll be horrified.

My youngest also has a friend over and they are playing dress ups and playing with dolls. What a difference 3 years makes.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Do you think the Whales is a Hilly Country will work when I want to eat pastry??

" Kim, why are you eating pastry after exercise?"

" Because Whales is a hilly country...darn it"

Sarah, Hope we can make you laugh tonight after such a rough day...

• kiwimum
    edited January 2012

Lisa - get over those hills and get that pedicure!

• profbee
    edited January 2012

Christine!  I didn't correct anything!  I'm the worst on here--with all my dashes and exclamation points, etc.  :)  

So my power cord is not lighting up--I'm going to lose you all for the night until I can go get a new one tomorrow.  ugh.  

Kim, I'm sure it will be fine, but I"m glad you're getting it checked.  

Kiwi...we all go there.  I asked the PS about rib pain today..."Yeah, I had to do some cutting there."  So, that put bone mets out of my head for a few minutes until I realized I've had this little cough...just a little one...lung mets I think...then I think, Damn, Cris...STOP IT!  

So tomorrow I have to go into the office so I can start chipping away at my to do list before the semester starts.  I hear we may get snow though!  Hubby had a vasectomy last Friday, so I'm hoping we don't get snow...neither of us is able to push the snow blower right now!  We'll be snowed in!  Love to you all.  I hope I can get a power cord and I'll be online tomorrow.  

Till then...well, Wales is a hilly country.  

G'nite!