Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

Oh Boy... what a roller coaster... I am glad they are pursuing with more tests... and I agree that getting your reports and UNDERSTANDING them is so important... we have to self advocate unfortunately. At least your MO is on it!!! Sometimes my MO poo poos my research, says I read too much... can never be too much. I'd rather be informed than not.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited February 2012

Eema!  I logged in yesterday to check on you, but didn't want to bug you.  Great job.  You are vigilant!  You are in charge!  You got some ativan!  :)  We're still here with you sister.  TOTALLY play the cancer card with the landlord!  Hell, I played it just to get off the phone with a telemarketer!  LOL!!

Love to you all!  (Mom and Dad visiting, so no time, but I'll likely catch up Monday!)  xoxoxo

C

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2012
    Eema - so glad you got to talk to your doctor.  Keep moving forward, relax if you can (Ativan works wonders).  We are here for you.
  • proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2012
    Eema - so glad you got to talk to your doctor.  Keep moving forward, relax if you can (Ativan works wonders).  We are here for you.
  • alliesmom15
    alliesmom15 Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2012

I play the Cancer card when ever the situation calls for it  LOL

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited February 2012

Eema - I'm glad you are getting some answers. I'll be thinking of you.

The sleepover was exhausting! Too many girls - this morning DH and I looked at one another and said "not next year". All good fun but 10 year olds are tough - they are all getting teenage attitudes.

Yes, I was told to leave the room when they were gossiping (about boys of course)!

Yes Kim, it's my birthday in 2 days on the 14th of Feb. Tuesday here, Monday there. For some stupid reason I have my first onc check up since finishing chemo on my birthday. Why oh why did I agree to that??

I'll be turning 41. It's also my one year cancerversary coming up in March. Turning 40 was bad enough. Finding a lump a few weeks later was NOT in the plan!! Happy to be here to celebrate my birthday - I can honestly say I am happy to get a year older each birthday. It's amazing how facing your mortality changes your perspective.

• JulieLynn
    JulieLynn Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2012

Kiwimum - I received my diagnosis last Aug on my 42nd birthday. Wishing you a wonderful, happy, and healthy birthday with a GREAT onc visit! Every birthday is a victory - hope you celebrate in a big way!

• alliesmom15
    edited February 2012

I recieved my DX a few days before my 42nd birthday.  Cancer likes birthdays I guess.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2012

I started chemo on my 48th birthday.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited February 2012

Eema - Glad to see you are getting some answers and putting together an action plan. Just remember that we are here for you. 

Kiwimum - I too was diagnosed age 40. Glad to turn 41 just to get that year behind me but you are soo right on the perspective. Hope your 41st year is much better too. May this be your best birthday ever!

Enjoying a lazy Sunday....

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited February 2012

Yesterday was my birthday and I was determined not to have any tests or treatments anywhere close to it because I wanted to enjoy it - and I did!  Had Herceptin on 1/31 and not another til 2/21 - it couldn't have worked out any better!  All my kids were together, grandkids in tow - it was an awesome day.  No worries about anything - my son, DIL and their 3 kids even stayed the night after we all went out to eat and this morning we spent cooking a huge breakfast for everyone!  It did my heart good that's for sure.

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75
    edited February 2012

Happy Birthday ladies!!!! Heres to a much better year ahead!!

Eama.... I am curious..... what sypmtoms were you experiencing???? Lately I have had to go to the bathroom alot..... especially notice that at night and was wondering if you experienced that, was thinking its because of menapause, any one else have these issues???

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited February 2012

Happy Birthday achpurple!! Glad you enjoyed it....

Count me in on the Birthday thing...my bmx was just a few days before my 44th ...I agree kiwimum...I used to not like to draw any attention to my birthday now I love them!!

Eema...will continue with the positive thoughts and lots of talking , I hope for good news only.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited February 2012

Happy Birthday to achpurple and Kiwimum incase I forget on 2/14.

kiwimum, the cake is beautiful!  I know you are tired, but I am sure the girls had a fun time. Do you celebrate Valentine's Day there? (feb 14).

Eema, we have missed you, so sorry to see you are having to look into funky scan results.  Please let us know when you have more info, glad you asked your doc for some help (drugs), I would tell you to relax, but I know that is not possible until you have some answers.

Happy Sunday night to all, I hate Mondays!

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited February 2012

Hi everyone checking in briefly. Work is crunchy right now....yep that's the best word I could find. Wish I could change fields, construction is so stressful....

Emma praying for you.

Happy birthday Achpurple and Kiwimum.

Had a wonderful dinner with DH Saturday since I will be at a retreat meeting on Tuesday, but I wanted to share that last year on Valentine's day I was getting my last chemo.  I joked that DH and I had a romantic rendezvous planned at the infusion room.  Dinner Saturday was so much nicer.

I have a question on chemo brain...since I am going to be one year out....do foods and or smells still freak anyone else out? I can't eat a vegetable that's been in my freezer, can't smell Red Door perfume, or a certain glade freshener that they now put in garbage bags.  And I almost gag.  I'm a true believer in mind over matter, I just can't seem to get over these things.  A co-worker said it must be like post traumatic stress disorder?  Almost makes sense, I guess the chemo is providing a trauma to the brain? 

• BelaT
    BelaT Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2012

Happy B'day Achpurple and Kiwimum.

:) Hugs and Wwahs to evry one. 

• kmur
    edited February 2012

HAppy BirThDay KiwiMum!!!

Gina...yes I still have some things I can not eat...Fiber one cereal with the honey clusters and also peanut butter and jelly with a specific kind of jelly..other jellies ok..it is weird isn't it. For a long time I could not even smell peanut butter..so that is better... Sorry your job is so stressful right now...hope that gets better

Have a good day

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2012

Hi Ladies,

The scheduler for the Bone Scan called me a minute before I was going to call her!  What a way to start the day... Wednesday is the day with results on Thursday.  onc said if I were a different stage cancer, we would be having a very different conversation.  I had scattered sclerotic foci in the bones (a few) largest of which is 1 cm.  If I had been even a stage 1, we would be talking mets.  

Why not just jump to the biopsy?  Why go through all this pain (emotional)?  Now I have to go to school and let them know I wont be there yet another day.  My last Spring semester turned out the same way...

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2012

OH, but here is some good news--I got an extra year on my tenure clock approved!  Profbee, you are my mentor!  We seriously need to do something academically with this physical BS.

OK, going to put on some makeup and get my tushy to work.

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited February 2012

Eema-thinking about you.  I hope time flies until Wednesday, and you're able to concentrate on other things to get it off your mind.

Hi everyone else :-)

I found out I had BC on my husband's birthday.  Not fun.

I will admit I told a lot of people I had BC by a group text-then I also Facebooked it later that day.  Got it out of the way.  I used it as an opportunity to tell my female friends to do self breast exams. 

I hope everyone has a terrific week! 

• alliesmom15
    edited February 2012

I did exactly the same thing, I was not ashamed of my DX and want my friends and family that awareness is key and it could happen to anyone.

• kiwimum
    edited February 2012

Thanks for the birthday wishes.  Having a good day so far! I'm wearing my lovely new bracelet and earings I was given.

I also told everyone.  I needed people to know in case I needed support or I needed someone to cut me some slack.  There aren't many people now who are surprised by my short "do".  It surprises me when people say "you cut your hair", as I thought everyone knew.

My first onc appointment is later this afternoon.  I am armed with lots of questions.

Eema - I'll be thinking about you Wednesday and hoping you can stay sane until you get the results Thursday. 

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2012

KiwiMum - Happy Birthday!!! and that cake is So amazing!!!

ach - Happy Belated to you, hope your dad could join you as well or at least hope he is doing better.

I finished chemo the day before my 44th birthday Smile

Funny, at my YMCA program today, one of the ladies said how she thought it was so great that I knew everyone's name.  I told her I am usually so bad and concentrated on learning two names each class.  It was a nice compliment, esp. I am always looking in the school directory before events to remind myself of names I should know!

Proud that I walked yesterday, even though it was freezing!  But luckily got it in before in snowed (lightly).  Second time to work in NYC tomorrow, hoping for a better commute this time.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited February 2012

Happy  birthday, women!  Wooo hooo!!!!!  I am the same way, Kim.  I was never fond of my birthday, but now I'm never going to stop celebrating!  :) 

Eema, I'm SO glad you got an extra year!  Big exhale!!!  :)  Now, for Thursday and great results for the next exhale.  I'll be tuning in to check on you!

Hi everyone else!  :)  Kenny, I haven't had that symptom.  But, if you're experiencing "urgency" it can't hurt to call and ask.  Man, this whole journey just hits us from every corner.  ugh.  

I told everyone too, but I totally respect that some people can't or don't think it would be best for them or their work, etc.  I'm really proud of our buddy Lisa went through the whole thing without letting  her colleagues know.  I'm sure it wasn't easy to keep it under wraps (and under a wig!), but that's what she wanted and she pulled it off!  Amazing.  Every situation is different.  I was surprised by the people who stepped forward to help, and I'll never forget it.  I suppose it's whatever works for each person.  :)

Gina..."crunchy" work cracks me up.  I'm feeling more like soupy work...not good either...too much to do!  It's going to be a late night for me!  Speaking of, gotta run and try to get SOMETHING for work done before the boy hits the sack and I really get to work.  :)

Love you women!

C

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited February 2012

Just swinging by to say that prof is correct . . .I AM amazing. :p

Hope everyone is well!

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited February 2012

You are amazing Lisa, I am so impressed that you could pull it off.

Actually, I think we are all amazing!

Kiwi, Happy Birthday, hope you got a great cake too!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited February 2012

Wishing Kiwimum & Achpurple a wonderful birthday & many more!!!!

Was thinking I was getting to an age where I wanted to start conveniently forgetting birthdays but boy did BC change that perspective. 

Eema - Will be with you Wednesday during the scan & checking in Thursday for the results. Praying for good results.

Wishing everyone sweet dreams....

• kiwimum
    edited February 2012

Like a fool I had my 1st onc check up today, on my birthday. He found a lump in my remaining breast and now I'm off for a mammo, ultrasound and MRI as soon as I can schedule them.

Aarrgghhh! I feel like screaming. He kept saying, I'm sure it's nothing but here's a referral, go get checked. DH keeps telling me it's nothing, but of course I'm freaking out.

• kmur
    edited February 2012

Hi All,

kiwimum...I wish I had really great words to ease your mind but I think all those words would not sound the way I would like.  I am just really hoping for some good news and it is nothing.  wish I could give you a real hug or be helpful. Prayers and positive thoughts are with you.

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75
    edited February 2012

Kiwiwmun......... the waiting is so hard!!!! Baby steps, don't get to far ahead of yourself. Hugs