Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2011

Good luck, Christine!  (And send someone to the pharmacy for refills!)  We're with ya!

I'm hoping my son cooperates and soon falls asleep--I wanted to check out that new show, Suburgatory.  I'm going to have to check out Modern Family for sure now too!  :) 

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited September 2011

Suburgatory looks good. MF is on after it.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited September 2011

Good luck Christine!

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited September 2011

Hi all!

That's OK, Kim, about the grammar, though I'm no expert, myself!  I saw some of Modern Family last year - I like the guy who used to be Al Bundy and his Columbian wife on it - there was a hilarious bit when his first wife, who was Dianne in Cheers - Shelly something, turned up drunk at their wedding. I recorded a lot of the first series and then we lost the Virgin Digibox thing when it got struck by lightening and "died"!  Lost all our stuff on it, which was annoying.

Must find my cat now - it's 2am here and she's outside somewhere - very unusual for her. My son won't leave her alone these days - we call him "The Cat Botherer"  - like the Horse Whisperer but more annoying!  She's elderly, very grouchy and hates it - she crouches in the litter tray and hisses at him! 

Love to Christine for tomorrow,

Sarah x

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

Good luck Christine.

Miss suburgatory tonight, dealing with boys. Bet it was funny.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

Good luck Christine.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts ladies. Today I am feeling a bit better. My face seems a bit less swollen and I don't have any new spots ... that's progress.

I've taken to wearing big sunglasses to hide some of it. It does hide my swollen, half shut eye. I'm sure I look weird wearing them inside when taking the girls to school, but I don't care. I look weirder without them.

We are having an early dinner tonight because my youngest is in a show playing her ukelele. I'll report back tomorrow how cute she was. It is a group of 7 six year olds playing ukelele and singing a song called Love Love Love. I might try rocking up wearing my sunglasses like a rockstar. Lol

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Hi Everyone,

KiwiMum...so happy you are feeling a bit better...hope you continue on that way. I bet you can pull off the Rocker look...you may start a new fad!! Sounds adorable with the girls...do let us know. I bet they are so very cute.

Hope Christine does well today...I imagine at this time she is getting all prepped.

Sarah...hope you found your cat...I would worry over mine too. Funny our animals are more like kids.

I must be the only person that just can't get into Modern Family...I know...I really don't know why..or the show with whats her name from Friends..Courtney Cox...everyone seems to love it ..maybe  I need to re-visit

Well....I have visited several schools....one more to go ...then..it is testing and application time....Seems so crazy to go through all this for four years of high school??? We had one choice where I came from...just so different now.

Hope everyone is doing well

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Kiwimum-aren't 6 yr olds singing hilarious, my 5 year old sings in a childrens choir and I love it. Hope it was a great night.

Kim-the whole highschool thing in L-ville is crazy. So glad we live in a smaller community and only have to chose between private and public, good luck with your search.

Start preoping today for surgery on Mon. Have I said that I CAN'T WAIT. Hope everyone has a great day.

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

good luck with your surgery survivor11!  You are just ahead of me on everything.  I'm two weeks to the day behind you on implant exchange!  How's the BF?

• kmur
    edited September 2011
     Dawn....Just in case I am not on for a day or so ...good luck to you with surgery. If I remember you are switching from TE to implants??? Implants are so comfy compared to TE!!  I'm sure you will do GREAT!!  Seems one step at a time with all this stuff.... Look forward to the days when all of us can post on the 5 or 10 year and out threads  (ummm...that would make me much older..but very happy Smile
  • survivor11
    edited September 2011

bcisnofun-he's AWESOME!!!!!!! Thanks about surgery, I'm soooooo excited. Your right your right behind me, way to have my back, Lol

Kim-Thanks about surgery. Yes getting my new girls and can't wait to be squishy, BF can't wait either.

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

did anyone have the issue of being able to FEEL the metal part of the TE?  I know this sounds ridiculous, but I swear I can touch in between my foobs and feel the touch it at the top of my left foob (like 2-3 inches away from where I touched) where the metal is.  Maybe I need a vacation! :)

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2011

I can totally feel mine.  I even pointed it out to the PS.  He said I'd be able to b/c I'm pretty thin.  I can't WAIT for exchange!!!!

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited September 2011

Had my surgery today, thanks for all the good wishes.  I know those getting ready for the exchange surgery are going to be so much more comfortable than with the TEs. 

Today went great, no nausea! Surgery only took a bit over 3 hours.  I am having some pain where he harvested my fat (feels like someone hit my tummy with a baseball bat).  Just alittle burning at the nips.  The only thing I can really see is under my arm where he put fat, already looks better.  I had a huge depression there and now it is almost completely gone.  I am almost afraid to look at the rest.  I am in both a breast and tummy binder until I see him back, It is going to be difficult to find clothing to hide the binders, at least it is getting cooler.

Kiwimum--Glad you are feeling better, I am sure you rock those sunglasses.  How was the concert? 

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Yay Christine!! Thought about you today. So glad all went well. I am still a little sore where the fat was taken. Everything else though all good ...take care and let us know how you are coming along Smile

bcisnofun....I could feel the metal port also for the TE's...the more I was filled ...the more I could feel mine...hang in there though...the implants feel so much better and they are stretching you out for the end result...

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Yay Christine!!!

• kiwimum
    edited September 2011

Great to hear all good with you Christine.

My daughters concert was very cute. Excellent ukelele strumming and singing. She looked very sweet and took it very seriously. I didn't wear my wig but wore a hat instead. Afterwards she said to me, "I could see you Mum. I could see your hat". I'm glad she could pick me out and be reassured we were there cheering her on. She's very tired today. We didn't get home until 9.30pm.

My face is better again today. I also saw the Physio this morning who is happy with my cording. It's starting to release - it's been 6 months since surgery so I'd hope so!

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Congrats Christine. Good to hear your doing well, take care of yourself.

bcisnofun-can totally feel the ports, thankful not for much longer.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Good News KiwiMum!! The program sounds so cute and that is so sweet she found you in the crowd!! Continued healing to you.

• survivor11
    edited September 2011

Kiwimum-that's one advantage to no hair, my kids could find me faster during performances as well (they sing in choir).

Off for more pre-oping today-yeah. Hope everyone has a great Friday.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited September 2011

Congrats to Christine after your op. Glad you feel better and enjoyed the concert, Kiwimum. Good luck to Dawn for the op. on Monday. My cat did come in eventually, Kim! I can't leave her out and go to bed. We're having a lovely Autumn heatwave at the mo - .the beaches are packed! Never actually had a summer this year. Going to a BBC Live and Deadly show on Sunday with lots of dangerous animals to play with - maybe!  I'm not touching any tarantulas, but I don't mind snakes!. Dan is looking forward to it. Hope your school decisions go OK, Kim. We have a lot of fuss and palaver over kids changing schools at 11/12 - such a relief to get the one you want for them.

Have good weekends. Love, Sarah xx

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Hi To Everyone and Happy October!!

It feels like fall this am here in Kentucky...very chilly. We plan to build a fire and cook hot dogs and chili outside. Really feels like football weather now.

KiwiMum...hope you are still feeling better and able to rest

Sarah..glad you found your cat. Have fun at the BBC program. Because I have all men in my house...I have raised "pets" I never thought I would. We had Iguanas....they were "supposed" to be my sons,but you know how that is...I fed them and all. They were really pretty though.  Thanks for the school wishes. It will be like starting new again for our son, so trying to make the best decision for him. I keep waiting for a big sign to smack me upside the head ....Lol

Have a good day everyone.....Hope you are feeling good Christine.

• christine47
    edited October 2011

Hi Girls,

Feels like fall in NC, it is cool and beautiful.  I am getting ready to go watch my youngest run at a cross country meet.  Getting ready is a challenge, sponge bathing and hair in the sink.  Good thing I don't have much hair. Tomorrow I am allowed a real shower.  Next issure is what to wear to camoflague my pink breast binder with all the dressings, and a tummy binder.  My tummy hurts like crazy, even pulling my pants up and down hurts.  Everything looks good, as far as I can see, so I quess it will be worth it.  Hope all the fat takes, anyone know how long until you can tell?

Kim, best of luck with your school search, is that for next year or this winter?  It is great that you have choices.  I am sure you will make the right pick and he will grow up to be a successful man and come home to see his mother and bring the grandchildren and his lovely wife.  We joke with our boys all the time, if they don't do well in school, then bad college, no job, no money, etc.

Hope everyone, wherever you are enjoys a beautiful weekend.

• kmur
    edited October 2011

Christine....So happy to hear you are getting around well. I was much like you in that the only pain I had was from the areas where the fat was taken. That seems to take some time(for me) I am still a tiny bit sore. Each day gets better. Thank you for your kind words...I was just looking at him last night during dinner...he is handsome and sweet and I couldn't help but think about what he will be like someday...so funny you mentioned that.  Our decision will be for next year. We have until Dec. really,but will apply to three High Schools and we will find out about one of them by May the others sooner than that. The public school system here is crazy. Also many private choices though. Enjoy the meet and weekend.

BTW ....we say the same thing about grades....bad grades...bad job ( we skip the bad college part Lol )

• survivor11
    edited October 2011

Loving the weather today. Can't actually smell autumn in the air today. Just got back from boys soccer games, all won, no injuries, good day.

Can't believe sugery is Monday, holy crap, now I am getting a little nervous.

Glad to hear all are doing well.

• christine47
    edited October 2011

survivor11, stay busy and monday will be here.  I was very nervous about last weeks surgery and still nervous about how things will turn out.  Do you get to go first thing on monday am?  I hope so.

kim, I think I will be sore for awhile from the fat donation sites and I look abit swollen.  Did most of your fat take?? 

• kmur
    edited October 2011

survivor11....just wanted to ditto what Christine said...seems to help pass the time if you occupy your self...you will do great though

Christine...I really think all of mine took...I will know more this week for my follow up, She did say they expect about 60 % to take...but I think I look the same. She had me leave all of the important dressings on until our first visit and I couldn't wait to see what the ( you know whats  Lol,here we go again ) looked like. I am amazed by just how real they look. These surgeons are just amazing. I tell ya...I can't wait to hear how you look...so excited for you too....

• kiwimum
    edited October 2011

Good luck tomorrow Surivor11.  I will be thinking about you.

Me, my shingles is much much better and I'm sure chemo will go ahead this week. I hope to be able to say I'm done in 2 days.

We were up early this morning as my girls have swimming on Sunday mornings.  It's at 8am.  It's so early that it's worse than trying to get the girls out of bed for school in the mornings. We have to wake them and there is lots of moaning. We do bribe them with a nice morning tea out after swimming.  Today we went to a lovely local italian bakery and then afterwards a local market where you can pick up lovely fresh organic produce, amongst other things.

Tomorrow (Monday) morning I have my rads staging/simulation, Tuesday chemo, Wednesday surgery to remove my portacath. It's a busy week for medical procedures ... then again that's my life at the moment.  On the positive side, my cording is much reduced this week and I'm hoping this continues.

Anyway better go and fix lunch.  I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Hugs Kiwi xx

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited October 2011

I started reading, but really needed to just talk.  I have had a horrible week.  I found early Sunday morning that a friend of my son's from Boy Scouts died-from a suicide  This boy was the most upbeat kid-caring, intelligent, handsome. Eagle Scout.  He competed in bike races, spent countless hours 4-wheel driving in his prized jeep, was going to graduate from college in May.  The absolute last person I would have ever guessed would do this.

So my son was at his dad's for the weekend, and didn't answer his phone when I called-typical.  So I had to tell him by text.  He never texted me back.  And when he got home from school on Monday he didn't want to talk about it.  Same thing for the rest of the day and the next day (meanwhile I can't stop talking about it to my hubby and BF to the point where they're telling me I need to refocus.)

This whole time I literally didn't believe it was a suicide-until we get to the viewing on Tuesday evening and it's a closed casket.  I was horrified.  My son started crying and didn't stop the entire hour we were there.  So sad.  Neither he or I could bring ourselves to go to the funeral-selfish, perhaps. 

After the funeral I asked the scout leader to call me and I lost it.  I sobbed and sobbed and begged his to tell me how it happened so I could believe it was a suicide...

The poor kid suffocated himself with a plastic bag.  I almost screamed when I heard that.  How horrible and sad, and lonely.  I still can't believe it.

I've been crying all week.  Everyone is telling me to let it go, and I don't know why I can't.  I guess because it hit too close to home.  I've asked my son if he wants to talk about it so many times he is really irritated with me.  My best friend practically yelled at me to stop pushing for information because it was making me crazy.

I said hello to his parents at the viewing, but I had only met them once years before.  So I'm going to write them a note...my BF says she thinks I should only send them a sympathy card.  I would like to share my favorite memory of him...when he showed up to a meeting wearing shorts, a bow tie and a top hat.  Hilarious.

What do you think?

• christine47
    edited October 2011

Burley, I am so sorry.  I don't know what to say, but again I am sorry.  No one should tell you how to morn or show your sympathy.  I think sending a card and note is appropriate.  We all greive in different ways and different time tables.  Maybe sending a card or two in the coming months will make you feel better, and I am sure his family will appriciate that not everyone is trying to quickly move on and forget.