Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited September 2011

Hi to all!

All this food and drink talk is making me peckish - we eat late in our house - it's 9pm here and I've only just put the roast pots. in the oven. Halfway through making an apple pie too   -as usual, didn't have all the ingredients and OH has had to pop out to get the flour and brown sugar!  Kim - I think you must have pressed the italics button "I" on your post - I've mucked mine up before on here and can't fix it! Hope you enjoy your tai-chi classes. I used to go to yoga after my first dx - went for about a year and overdid it so much, something pinged down there and I ended up with a prolapse!  I am pretty large and the teacher told me I was puffing and panting too much for her liking  - I paid the price for my over-strenous pelvic actions with a hysterectomy. Don't miss periods one bit, who would? I think tai-chi is more standing-up and comes from China - should be good. Tell us how it goes. I'm afraid I did miss my Breast cancer care meet-up 2 weeks ago - felt fluey again. Seem to be over it now, though, so fingers crossed for Oct. meet! 

Love to kiwimum too - last chemo - hurrah!!!  I have also liked reading everyone's stories about their husbands and how they have coped (mostly). Lovely stuff. Sorry about your "pit-tits"(!), Eema, hope you get some relief. Love your posts.

Sarah xx

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011

Kim-I only live about 40min from L-ville, use to work there. If you don't mind could hou PM me the name of your plastic surgeon, would like to have for any possible fat grafting I may need later down the road, since mine hasn't mentioned it yet.

Sarah-I had to laugh at you peckish. People make fun of me all the time for using it, now I have proof that someone else out there uses it.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Hi Again,

Sarah you and survivor11 crack me up with your peckesh talk. I love language and need to write down the ones that are new to me. OK ..apple pie sounds really good and you have more energy than I do ...I am practically falling asleep by 9:00pm. I will let you know about tai chi. New classes begin in October...I really hope to not cause any stress amongst the tai chi folks as I am not too quick these days with sending my limbs the messages from my brain....feel so slow sometimes in my thoughts.

survivor11....I will pm her name to you. I really just love her. She is very honest and I really trust her. I get the feeling fat grafting is pretty common...I could be wrong though.

Have a good night all,

Kim

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Kim.. I was in Charleston in June and ate at Magnolias upon a recommendation.. I was very disappointed... don't have the pork.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Betsy...OH NO!! I have always wanted to go there....as I said I have two cookbooks. Thanks for the advice.

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

It was my last night in town and ordered the pork cause I had already eaten everything else... I am sure if you have omething they are known for you will be happy... the pork was just super salty

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Thanks Betsy...I have never been to Charleston...one of those to do places for us. We tend to go further south to vacation,but now we would love to head north to Vermont or Maine.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited September 2011

kmur, you need to go to Charleston, put it on your bucket list.  I have been to Magnolias several times, could not tell you what I had, but remembering it being fairly good.  I do remember waiting to get in because we did not have reservations. 

Thanks for all the recomendations for Savannah.  I went a few years ago and we had some great meals.  I went to Paula Dean's restraunt (which is nothing fancy, just fattening, southern home cooking), she came in and signed the cookbooks I bought.  She seemed truly nice. 

I am dreading Monday morning, realize what I should have gotten done this weekend.  I have been so lazy recently.  Only important thing I got done was a pedicure (surgery on Thursday so toes need to look pretty, LOL).

Betsy, back to work tomorrow??

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

hi kmur - I think my doc said grapefruit juice is a no no with tamoxifen.  I'm sure a little is no big deal, but I noticed you're er/pr+ so wanted to share.  I found this topic - hope you can open it.  Others said their docs said to avoid it too. 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topic/728365

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Kim... we have a house in Vermont... love it!! And Maine is great too...

Christine... Yes, back to work tomorrow... a bit stressed over it... been out since early July.

• christine47
    edited September 2011

Betsy, welcome back to the real world tomorrow!  Hope you rest well tonight.

Grapefruit juice is contraindicated with MANY meds, I figure a little with alcohol is ok.  I certainly would not drink a full glass (of grapefruit juice), so go heavy on the vodka and light on the juice!

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Now that's a plan Christine... 1 part juice, 5 parts vodka.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

Hi ladies

I need alcohol! My final chemo has been delayed a week - I am gutted as I was so looking forward to finishing. I have developed shingles, woke up this morning with a swollen face. Several doctors appointments later they have diagnosed shingles and I am waiting to hear if I need to be admitted to hospital for IV meds.

I am bitterly disappointed, but on the other hand don't want to risk this getting worse. Sorry for the moan.

Peckish is a common term in NZ. Sarah, I too am in bed and nearly asleep not long after 9pm. I'd also be starving if I ate that late. I guess your body clock just gets used to it.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited September 2011

I was so glad to see some positive stories about spouses. My BF so far has truly lived up to what I believed I had found, and even more so. I feel bad that he and my family (parents/siblings) have to go through this with me, but I'm thankful I have them alongside me.

Michelle - That really is a great picture, and a wonderful story about seeing yourself again for the first time. I'm only at the start of all this, and the prospect of losing my hair is scary. I happened to get a call from my hairdresser today to let me know that she was switching salons, so I told her my situation and that probably the next time I came in it would be for my pre-chemo cut. She's had other clients in the past like that, and she even offered to come to my home to do the cut. She's th first hairdresser who's ever been able to really work with my hair - and teach me how to keep it nicely styled (I have a really strong, stubborn wave), so I'm sure she'll be able to help me through this too.

Eema - I'm glad you enjoyed such a nice Shabbat. I started a High Holy Day thread in Spirituality a while back, in case you want to join in. Have a sweet, happy and healthy New Year!

• christine47
    edited September 2011

Oh no KiwiMum!  I am so sorry about your diagnosis of shingles.  If I was closer I would bring you a nice cold vodka and grapefruit juice !  I will be thinking of you, big hugs.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited September 2011

KiwiMum - I am so sorry you have shingles.  Take it easy and get well soon.  {{{HUGS}}}

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Man, I go to the grocery and everything happens.....

Kiwimum...MAN...that stinks....I wish you get well wishes from from away..Like Christine..if I could get there I'd have a drink with you,I mean I would make a drink,and soup or something Hang in there ( for lack of better words) I will be thinking of you. We will have to try to keep you upbeat.

Christine..I really do want to get to Charleston..we went to Beaumont S.C and  we stayed at an inn that was built pre civil war. Just love that part of the country and Betsy I have never been any more north than Maryland ( I guess that's north ) so lots to look forward to. Would love to do all those trips with the husband.

I really fancy that idea of one part juice and ....how many parts vodka did you say Lol...I never really thought about my drugs and grapefruit juice but now I think I remember grapefruit juice causing those kinds of things. I am not on Tamoxifen,I am on Fareston,it may have the same issues...I really don't drink very often though.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

OOps I am now making up cities I guess...I meant Beaufort South Carolina

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    edited September 2011

Kiwimum---girl, sorry to hear about the shingles...I got them towards the end of my rads treatments and they are yucky...but, let me tell ya....take the meds and all will be good!  :P

HUGS to you!

Tori 

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

Thanks for the support ladies. Good news - no hospital IV required. I get to stay at home and will have another check up tomorrow.

Apart from the shingles, I've had a nice day in bed watching episodes of Vampire Diaries that I missed on blu-ray. I know it's a kiddie show but I like all things vampire ... Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries. Maybe tomorrow it will have to be Twilight in bed.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Kiwimum, feel better soon!  It's just one more week to get stronger. 

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited September 2011

Glad you don't have to go to hospital, kiwimum, but sorry about the shingles. Bummer about the missed chemo. Take it easy and enjoy those vampires!

love, Sarah x

• kmur
    edited September 2011

KiwiMum....so good you at least get to rest at home. feel better soon  :-)

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Kim... I just love New England, for all seasons except maybe spring (mud season)... Beautiful in the Fall, charming and cold in the winter and refreshing in the summer... You need to see all the states.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2011

Kiwi--I ADORE trash when I just want to tune out.  You embrace your vampires!  You deserve it!  LOL!  (SO glad you're home!)

Betsy--ah, as winter is approaching, I'm so nervous about "charming and cold" lol!  Okay ladies, this may sound weird, but when I get a chill, since my BMX, my chest spasms, and I'm worried that this winter is going to be FREEZING! 

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited September 2011

profbee did you have recon done???  I noticed that when I had my TE's in my muscles would spasm when cold and my chest would feel frigged to the touch.  After implants, I don't notice it as much, unless I get a shiver... I hope it is just a temporary thing.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2011

I do have TEs!  Do you think that's IT?!  Crazy.  My chest doesn't feel cold (yes, I'm touching my chest right now--lol!), but okay, is this ridiculous, when I drink something really cold I feel like I can feel it go right down my whole chest!  Exchange surgery should happen around Christmas--(insert joke about Jack Frost "nipping" at my chest here).

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi everyone,

First of all...hi Kiwimum, I hope today finds you feeling better.

Betsy....I really agree...so many places here I would like to see. I thought warm places were good,but now I would really love to see the northeast. I love the seasons too ( even the muddy one) lol

profbee....I had the same thing after my BMX/TE surgery. I had times when I would just shiver. I do think it is the muscle spasm thing too, I have not had the spasm since exchange either. I do think all of that is just stretched so....

Had my third BC SOS meeting tonight and have met the nicest ladies. You know I wouldn't wish BC on anyone...but how come all the nice folks have to get this cancer??

Hope everyone is doing well

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2011

Well, Ladies,

I think we'd have a wonderful time with that drink and some laughs! Right before my BMX I had a good friend over and did a cast of my bust. I can't remember the name of the, nope, now I remember, "Breast Impressons" sent the kit. She is an artist, so I figured she was the one to help me. We shared a bottle of wine and laughed our @sses off! Then she said, "OK, now that I got you drunk, take off your shirt and show me your tits!" It was a very funny experience. Now I am waiting for a good time to paint and decorate my bust!

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Eema.....crack me up....sometimes I think I must live under a rock...have not heard of "Breast Impressions" and would not have even thought about making an impression of my ( you know whats ) actually ....mine were kinda small so don't think I would have made much of an impression!!