Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2011

Betsy & Kiwimum,

I couldn't agree more!! Ready to kick 2011 to the curb and here's to a happier & healthier 2012 for all of us!!

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2011

SCREW YOU, 2011!!!!!!!!!  You STUNK!  

You gals are the "on the bright side" of my year.  Thank you.  Lots of love, Cris 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Oh I can hear you... Need more shout outs!!!!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited December 2011

So Long 2011!!!!!!  Happy Happy HEALTHY New 2012 to each of you wonderfulf ladies. I just feel that 2012 and beyond are the good ones!!

CHEERS!!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2011

happy new year 2012

May the New Year be filled with health, happiness and prosperity!

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2012

Happy New Years to all you ladies, may you ring in the new year sharing lots of love and laughter to all around you!

June 

• alliesmom15
    alliesmom15 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2012

Good riddance 2011!  Dont want to ever think about Cancer and it being in me again!

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited January 2012

Honestly 2011 sucked!  But I appreciate the good things, those silver linings which occurred and am very much looking forward to a healthy and happy 2012.

Happy New Year Everyone! 

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2012

Happy New Years everyone!!!!

Burley - congrats, we are now over 100 pages!!!  Thanks again for starting this awesome thread!!!

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited January 2012

Happy New Year to all !!!!!!

Hope 2012 brings us all health and happiness!

Sarah x

PS - thanks from me too to Burley - I think of you all as friends - thanks for being there. 

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited January 2012

Happy New Year. We're all tired in our household today and packing up to go away tomorrow.

I agree - this is a great thread and you ladies have helped me get through this year. I 2nd Sarah - I hope 2012 brings us all health and happiness.

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2012

Back briefly to the ornaments because I just caught up on the posts - all six of my kids have a themed ornament that I have gotten them from birth.  I tried to make them fairly religious themes to always have a reminder of what's important in this season.  I write their name and the year on each one and photograph it so I can keep track (because occasionally one gets broken, a piece will break off, etc.)  And every year they love to put their ornaments on the tree.  I am planning on giving them their ornaments once they have a family of their own.

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

Thats what I do also.. but I don't photograph them.. but maybe I will do that this year before I put them away... my husband thinks our tree is getting very crowded...

• kmur
    edited January 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful start to the New Year..... I have my laptop back and am able to type without the ipad deciding what I really mean....lol

Thought I would tell you with the new year starting I am such a sucker for a good sell!!  I was up early and began watching the Zumba Dvd sell..I fell for it Lol ....I will be Zumbaing I guess ( I'm not coordinated at all...we will see).

Also had been thinking of joining the YMCA for a spinning class. Did you all know Lance Armstrong has a program to allow cancer survivors free access to the Y for three months? I am looking into it as it is for the whole family and you can do classes or swim ...

Also...it is funny how so many of us collect ornaments. I have some of them in boxes with receipts and all. I had not thought of pictures. I do date the handmade ones. My old neighbor and I make something each year. Sounds weird but last year we made okra santas and they are really cute. This year my son began duck hunting with the men. They have a bird dog and a duck blind . So this year we made ornaments using shotgun shells ( Lol ) That is kind of a stange combination isn't it ...just thought of it ...maybe someday ( many years from now ) my grandchildren will say ' Was grandma all there when she made these?"  Lol

Have a great day & Have fun on your trip kiwimum.

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

I made some of ours but not most... but every year the ornament is pertinent to that year... This year I bought ornaments while in New Orleans... when the kids were into a sport, I bought for that sport... But I really like the idea of photographing them... My daughter has 19 and my son 16.. so I may just lay them out in order and take one picture for each kid...

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited January 2012

Kim - I have the Zumba DVDs. It is fun! It is also hysterical. It is a good workout; probably even better if you are able to move your hips like they do. My caucasianness is on full display in that workout.

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited January 2012

Happy New Year!! 

Like Sarah, I consider all of you my friends, thank Burley for getting us all together.

Hope you all had a great night last night.

Kmur, Zumba away my friend!  I did Livestrong at the Y this past fall.  It is a fantastic program, organized exercise 1 1/2 hrs two times per week.  My class had both men and women, we all became very close.  We are all getting together again for dinner in a few weeks.  I have been asked to speak in a few weeks at the annual lunch for top donors of the YMCA about the Livestrong progam.  I am not a public speaker, but such a great program I aggreed to do it.

Irr4993, "caucasianness"  , thats why I have 2 left feet and no rhythm.

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245
    edited January 2012

Photographing them really helps when you have as many as we do at this point - my kids are now 21, 20, 18, 14, 11, and 9 - that's a lot of theme ornaments!  My 9 yr old still can't figure out why everybody has more ornaments than she does!  It's a big hunt that starts early for me to find everybody's theme for the year - #1 DS is the Star of Bethlehem, #1 DD is something with the word "Noel" on it (her middle name), #2 DS is boy angels (his name is Gabriel, but he's no angel!)  #2 DD is 'Dreamsicles", #3 DD is "Precious Moments"  and #4 DD (I cheated a little on the religious theme on hers because I was running out of ideas) is teddy bears because she was born on the 100th anniversary of the teddy bear.  Hardest theme is Dreamsicles because you can't find them hardly at all any more.  Boy angels are really hard also but I have a religious store down the street that orders their Christmas ornaments in February for the holiday season and she always keeps her eyes out for me a boy angel.  It's a fun hunt.  I also try to make them the "not so breakable" kind because I want them to last forever basically, but some have "bitten the dust" after so many years - that's why I take the pictures - otherwise I forget when the time comes why someone is missing one, etc.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Lol Lisa....That is why I thought the at home dvd would be good....don't want to end up on you tube somewhere!! I am such a ding bat these days..... just yesterday  I melted the top to my coffee pot on my  ( almost ) new cook top. The coffee maker was our Christmas present...now why would anyone put a plastic coffee lid on the stove???  ( I had the wrong burner on )  It is kind of expensive from Williams Sonoma....I'm glad my husband puts up with me!! Anyway ...me shaking my hips and moving my feet all at the same time may end up just too much ...Lol

I think I will do the picture thing too.  I have made something every year. Sometimes quilts or baskets. Then the ornament thing came to me but I have no idea which one was which year now. The picture would have been a good idea.!!

• kmur
    edited January 2012

I was posting and missed the posts from Christine and archpurple...Christine ,I had no idea about the livestrong program until the other day. Our Y is really nice. I took the tour and saw some of the classes. One of the girls ( instuctor)  was the most buff girl I have ever seen. I think that is so great you are going to speak on behalf of the program. I do think all this must be for some reason and good can come from that.  As for you all..I have said before I do not share what I did with my day even on FB mostly here. Thanks to all of you for making me for real LOL not fake lol. Very good to be able to do that.

Archpurple...I guess you would need to take pictures to keep them straight!!  I had themes too.  My husband always got a santa. I said before Old world ornaments but they are really called Inge they are German and I fell in love with them years ago. My son is bears,but now kind of whatever I decide to make.

• lrr4993
    edited January 2012

Did everyone resolve to stay off BCO??  LOL.

I hope you all had a happy new year.  So far mine has been great, but it is back to work tomorrow so the fun ends soon.  And it is supposed to be FREEZING tomorrow.  Like crazy cold.  I like sweater weather, but not painful cold. This will be painful cold.  

So, diet wise I have done okay, but not great.  It will go better once I am back to the daily routine.

Exercise wise, I just walked two miles.  Not much, but felt like it since I have barely worked out since diagnosis and certainly with no consistency.  One of my friends is doing a 500 mile challenge that we all track together online so there is pressure to keep up.  My goal is at least 2 miles a day.  Most are running, but I am walking and/or doing the elliptical which qualifies under the challenge rules.  Running is hard on my knees ever since I hurt one of them snow skiing several years ago.  In addition to my 2 mile distance challenge, I have purchased a recumbent bike that will be delivered tomorrow.  My thought is that I am never going to give up my TV/internet time in the evenings, so I will try to do those while engaged in some form of movement on the bike. The bike does not count toward the 500 miles, so I am going to be exercising A LOT.  Which is good if it does not kill me. 

• lrr4993
    edited January 2012

In case it was not clear, working toward better health is a new years resolution.

Along with more travel.  I have my girls trip planned already.  Need two more good trips throughout the year. 

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited January 2012

You GO, Lisa!  There's a "well fit" program at the gym right next to the local hospital I'm now going to for my Herceptin.  You get to go for 10 weeks for free with trainers and physical therapists.  I have an appt. tomorrow to check it out.  We'll see!  :)

It's day 2 here of no candy and no alcohol.  (I KNOW it's not necessary or anything, but I realized that even with social drinking, it adds up and so I'm just going to try this for a while.)  Other than that, we NEED to eat healthier here at our house.  So first, I'm trying with those 2 changes for me, but I want to try some new recipes, more organic, even just more creative and healthier in the new year.

A girls trip sounds awesome.  I'm missing one of my dearest friend's 40th next week in NYC.  All the old crew will be there, but I just can't make it right now.  Bummed.  

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi everyone,

Lisa,

That sounds great. I can not run either. I tried to jog on the treadmill...but the tread is so skinny and if I try to look away...I swear I will fall off.. so back to walking for me. I do walk as fast as I can and I think I might burn more this way than jogging.

I did get the call back from the Y today. I will start the Livestrong program Jan 17th. I am really looking forward to that.

Proofbe...That sounds great too...I do think it helps to have someone teach what/how to do the exercise. I have found some good Quinoa ( sp) recipes. I also get these updates from fitness magazine with recipes too and also some good workout routines too.

I did not make a resolution. I never have really...I don't even know why.

• lrr4993
    edited January 2012

A step at a time prof.  Giving up all candy is huge, particularly with a kid in the house.  Sorry you are missing your trip.  That really sucks.  I would be very sad if I missed mine.  It is so much fun to just hang with the girls for a few days.  Particularly these - my friends from college.  They are the friends that make me laugh until I can't breathe.  I can't wait!

I tried quinoa but did not care for it.  Healthy eating is torture for me.  I just don't like most healthy foods.  I am trying to avoid fried foods and cheese.  Other than that, I am just doing the best I can.  Trying to get into fish a bit more.  It is hard though because unless it is drenched in butter, it just is not that great to me.  Figures.

Speaking of fried foods and cheese, I went to ireland a few years ago and on just about every menu they had fried brie.  My God.  So good.  I had never heard of it before that. 

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited January 2012

HI Girls!

Fried brie, oh my that sounds good.  I love the baked brie with the pastry on the outside, I could give up alot of things but not cheese.  I am going to try and get in more fruits and veggies this year, and also cook more at home.  We shall see.  I shopped today and tried to load frig with healthier choices, hopefully I am not tossing it all in the trash next week.

I have been exercising fairly regularly since I did the Livestrong program.  I am using a trainer 2 times per week and do cardio 2-3 days.  My trainer is fantastic and makes me do weights, resistance, etc.  I have 2 left feet and horrible balance, but she is working with me.  I am seeing some positive results and I do feel better.  My goal is to improve core strength, which I feel has always been poor, and worse since my surgeries, and also improve posture.  I need to lose some weight too, but one step at a time.

Kmur, I think you will enjoy Livestrong.  They have a waiting list to get in at our local YMCAs, it is a new program for us.  I met some wonderful people (including a couple of great guys) while doing the program.

Lisa, where are you heading for your girls trip?  More fun travel is a great resolution.  Good friends cure all.

profbee, two days with no alcohol or candy, you are tough.  I must have just a bit of chocolate everyday.  I have made a rule to only eat "good candy", must be worth the calories.

Work tomorrow and did not get the tree down today, how sad is that?

• lrr4993
    edited January 2012

My tree is not down either.  I was so lazy this weekend, other than my 2 mile walk.  :)  I have debated a trainer but never did it.  It would mainly serve the purpose of making me get to the gym at least a couple of times a week.  I think this challege will do that.  I know several of the people participating it so I want to post numbers every day so they don't think I am slacking.  

Our girls trip is in cancun.  Not my favorite place but it is easily accessible by all of us (we are all over the country), has a beach, and all-inclusives at more reasonable prices, so cancun it is.   

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

I love the idea of exercise and eating better... I have spent so much of the past year recovering from surgery or fatigued from chemo or too busy with work and kids to get regular exercide.. I have been SOOO much better the last couple of weeks.. been to the gym quite a few times... I feel the difference in my muscles. I used to go to the gym 6 days a week or play tennis.. and weigh 40 pounds less.. (gained about 10 of that this year)...so I have a goal to lose most of that weight... 30 pounds would be good... My DIEP and hip flap surgery plus lipo has jump started it for me by eliminating trouble spots... I just love that lipo... no love handles anymore... woo hoo.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2012

I'll jump on the more excericise and eating better bandwagon too.  Just starting walking a little on Wed, so six days in a row.  Just 2x round our block, I still have to clock it, but my dh thinks it's a little under 2 miles.  Was trying to do 10,000 steps a day before surgery, this is only about 2,800, so I will slowly have to build up.  Three more HBOT treatments this week, then I will have more time (until I go back to work...).  I had heard about a free program at our Y also, but I think it is during the day for 6 weeks and I can't do that with work, but maybe I will check again.

Betsy, I couldn't find Calvin Ct, so I'm not sure how far/close it is to me.

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

oops...Colwell Ct... it is behind Phelps (parallel)... you get there via West Glen on Alpine Terrace...