Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• June2268
    June2268 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2012

I am all for exercising and eating better as well.  Like profbee said, I think a lot of my weight gain came from the social drinking which I did a lot of this past month.  So cutting that out and trying to eat healthy is a must.  I started to walk over 2 years ago 5-7 times a week up to 6 miles on certain days and I felt my best and was losing weight as well.  Then I had a setback ( so sick of setbacks) planter fasciitis.  I am going on month 6 with no relief in sight.  I see a PT 2 times a week and religiously do what I have learned from them daily....still not better.  So 2 nights ago I started back up my exercise to only 2 miles as I am struggling doing that.  But my weight gain has been horrible this last month, so I will try anything to get better.  I don't have time to get to the gym with kids and all as my PT thought doing the bike would be best for me, so I am back to excruciating painful walking. 

Hope all you ladies had a wonderful holiday, now back to the grind.....

• hawk
    hawk Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2012

June2268 - I had planter fasciitis too in 2011.  Did they tell you the trick about freezing a water bottle and rolling it under your foot every night?  It really worked for me to relieve the swelling/pain.

• June2268
    edited January 2012

Heather how long did you have it for?  Like I said mine is going on 6 months and everything I read says it could be years so dying to see what helped you and how long you had it?  I just started the ice water bottle thing 2 days ago.  Looking forward to having my poor foot back  Funny how you take things for granted....I just want to feel and walk better.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited January 2012

JUne.. Two years ago my PT was so bad I finally got the shot.. It worked for about 1.5 years and then had another this past June... THEN my other foot got PT this September... got the shot, but it did not work.. so off to therapy I went. On my left foot I suffer from PT and lack of fat pads... Therapy has helped, but so has wearing orthodics and I mean all the time... I have tried wearing the boot to bed as well, which doesn't help as much. I think staying off it for a week to let the swelling subside may be the first step... then make sure you are stretching between therapy appts too. It has totally affected my activity level and weight gain.. It sucks.

• June2268
    edited January 2012

Betsy that does suck.  I did do the shot after a month of doing stretches the Doc told me to do.  I also bought the trigger point kit ($100.00 bucks) and it provides some relief, but I am in more pain than I was before the shot and the shot was done in October and wore off like less than a month ago.  When I was diagnosed and finished rads I figured I better get my butt moving and I started walking and making time for me (which I never do) and I lost 20 lbs in over 6 months and felt great.  Well now that this foot had not been behaving I have put on 14 of the 20 I lost......how depressing is that?  I wear the boot to bed, use the trigger point kit, stretch ALL the time and now the bottle is new.....so here is to hoping, but a little depressed after hearing you got it back.....

June

• hawk
    hawk Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2012

June - I had it for almost 1 year (11/10 - 10/11).  I didn't start using the frozen bottle until the last 2 months (around Sept last year) when it finally subsided.  I never got the shot.  I also have been wearing orthodics constantly since Sept. 2011. 

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2012

Hi Everyone,

Gosh Betsy...I already thought you were super woman for the two walks you did this summer following surgery..were you also dealing with foot issues too? 

June ..hope the cold will work . That is a long way to walk...did you do this on the treadmill or outside? I wish I had a walking buddy..I get bored so easily.

Bad backs,neck or feet...hard to overlook those issues. Yesterday I have no idea what I did but my back has decided to act up . I could not lean down to pick up the dog bowl to fill it with fresh water.  ...I am not sure how long it takes to not let your mind think about "what this could be"  I will wait and hopefully it will feel better in the next couple of days.

I hope Eema is doing well ???

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

June.. try the orthodics... you may need the arch support and the extra heel cushion... and yes, my right foot pain came back, but not nearly as bad as the first time and the shot took care of it right away. What really irritated me is that I had resolved the right foot, and then the left foot started.

Kim.. yes, that walk was 5 days after the shot.. I go tthe shot because I was crippled from walking the 3 mile Azheimer walk and knew I'd never make teh 40 miles without it... and the only reason I only walked 23 of the 39 miles was due to foot issues... I kept stopping and putting my feet on ice.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2012

Betsy - oh yes, I know Phelps at least.  I am on the "other side of the tracks" (across Maple Ave) in the not so big and fancy houses.  But I love my street and my neighbors and we think we live on the best block in town!

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

My BIL is not in a big house.. just backs up to them... I know Maple.. My husband's grandmother had an apt on Maple way back when...We love Ridgewood... Its a GREAT town to raise a family. For us, we needed a town with lower taxes.. those Bergen Co taxes are a bear.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2012

Hi everyone hope you all had a wonderful new year.  Been away from the boards DD home from college for a few weeks. ...funny though I never knew how much of a routine I was in.  I feel like I've been caught up in a Texas tornado for a few weeks now.  I'm just not 20 anymore....thought I had all my energy back since treatment, don't think that's the case either.

Anyway, waiting for the MD to call with a date for thyroid biopsy....

Catch you all later. 

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Gina...I'm glad you have been enjoying your daughter.  I did not know about this biopsy.  I hope you are feeling ok?

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2012

Hi girls!  Here's my belated Happy New Year!  I hope everyone is feeling terrific, and looking forward to a healthy (healthier?) new year.

I am the heaviest I've ever been at 165 lbs.  Luckily I'm 5'10", so I don't look as bad as I feel I look.  Well clothed, that is.  My butt has grown considerably over the past year, so I'm definitely on the exercise bandwagon with everyone else.  Now if I would just get started.  Oh!  And if I could stop eating in the middle of the night.  When I woke up this morning I had crumbs in the corners of my mouth but had NO FRICKIN' clue what I had eaten.  Had to go look in the kitchen trash to figure out I had eaten the rest of a roll of crackers.  Oh my.  But I had such horrible insomnia before.  Most nights I wouldn't be able to fall asleep until around 2am.  So I guess it's better to be overweight and well rested?  Hmmm. 

My son got in his first car accident the other day.  He was fine and the other guy was fine, but it caused about $3k of damage on our truck and about $1k on the other guy's truck.  He's only had his license about 2 1/2 months...let's hope this isn't a recurring theme! 

• June2268
    edited January 2012

Kim I like to be outside and not stuck in a gym, no matter what the weather is like.  So on most days I walk outside.  When it starts getting lighter here in the morning when Spring arrives I typically wake up at 5:00 and head out and do a quick 3 miles and then later in the evening I do another 2 or 3 depending on how much time I have to spare.  I really miss my walks and it really helped with weight control.  My PT thinks my foot problem is something more and I am now waiting for my podiatrist to call me back and get more x-rays.....always a process for everything and I am so sick of doctors that I tend to put things off....

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2012

HI All!  I am joining Burley in a belated Happy New Year!!  Finally back from all the travels in the past 3 weeks.  And not having a decent computer while at my parents, so I decided to wait till we got home. Want to join you all in the diet and exercise, I just have such a hard time starting.  I watch Biggest Loser and their theme this year is No more excuses!  That is what I am full of excuses and no will power to avoid the sweets in the house.  Thankfully they are almost gone. Would like to get off 10-15lbs. by surgery time in Feb, would be happy with just 10, if I can just get started.

June, so sorry about the planter facsiitis, sorry for the spelling.  I had it too a long time ago with my 3 pregnancy.  It took a year and a half, but went away on it's own suddenly one day.  I will say the best thing for my ugly feet was to make them uglier with crocs.  They were the only comfortable shoe for me at the time.

Going back further, Lisa, I hope you are sleeping well still after your neighborhood incident.  I don't think I have heard of this going on, but I also don't get to see the news very often.

Gina, I don't think I caught the thyroid issues either.  Keep us posted on the goings on with the biopsy.

I know I probably have missed a lot, don't think I can respond to it all anyway, would be too long.  Hi to all that I may have missed. Here's to a happy and HEALTHIER new year!!!!!

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Kim ... I'm glad your son was unhurt. I do not look forward to the driving days. I love my son dearly,but do you girls find that boys just don't think about " what happens when you do this". Seems my son doesn't always think through like girls do???

June, I used to ride my bike for miles and miles. Once rode 30 miles. This was years ago when I lived in a town that had a railroad turned to bike trail. It was so nice along a river and no hills. I do like to walk but get bored. I sure hope you can get those feet working for you again. I know what you mean about doctor visits. Mine have settled down some now. I do still have my back bothering me today. I have had back issues for years but usually shake it off with bowflex Seems a bit better today,but gets my mind working and thinking too much

Hope everyone is doing well

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Mamachick and welcome back. Hope you had a great New Year.

• June2268
    edited January 2012

Stacey love the name mamachick......love hearing all the feedback but really disappointed that I am going on 6 months and to hear a lot of you got better after a year or more is quite upsetting.....I have tried the frozen water bottle and have to tell whoever mentioned that to me( Betsy) , how awesome it really is.  I can get up and walk almost normal for a very short bit, but heck I will take that right about now.... 

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited January 2012

Hello all!!!

Count me in on the exercise & diet goals. I am an avid walker, weather permitting, and am trying to slowly add some strength training to the process. During the summer, I will walk at least 10-20 miles per week. I have also resolved to try to eat better hence less processed foods and more fruits & veggies. Course no pressure but it does help to know that my annual girls trip is now scheduled for next month.....Good thing a local gym is giving one month free memberships as a grand opening draw. Like June, I tend to like to walk outside with a friend or some tunes but am hoping to get into some Zumba & step classes to round out my walking & Yoga.

June - Sure hope your foot feels better in record time. Hang in there, I have faith you will exceed the "standard"....Fingers crossed it gets better sooner than later...,

Mamachick - Love, love, love the Biggest Loser and am too trying to live by "No more excuses".

Burley - Sorry about the truck but am soo glad your son is fine. Somehow me & my three boys survived their early driving years... You will get thru this but may have a few gray hairs in the end.... 

Hope everyone is having a good week...Hugs!!!

• sagina
    edited January 2012
  • sagina
    edited January 2012

I hadn't seen the picture before just had to share, young hot bald girls - haven't we been there done that wrote the book or on our way!

On the thyroid issue - I have a nodule they found in July when they did a Doppler to make sure I didn't have a clot from the port removal. I had a follow up ultrasound in December and something either said or unsaid left my MO wondering if a biopsy was in order.  I went to family doc, she ordered more blood work, blood work came back with perfectly functioning thyroid, so now the attention is turned to a biopsy to "make sure".  Oh joy, oh long needle stuck in my body in yet another place, how I love you so! lol.  

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited January 2012

Gina - been there, done that..Thyroid biopsy is not too bad, make sure you have a way of letting them know if the numbing agent starts to wear off, otherwise just feels weird.   You can PM me if you have any questions.

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi All,

Thanks Gina for that picture...Yes, I think we have been there and done that.  Sending you good thoughts for this biopsy. Let us know how you do.  I know how tired we All are of dr. visits and needles.  Take care of yourself.

Kim

• o2bhealthy
    edited January 2012

I hope I did not sound flippant ...just wanted to say I have had a bx on my thyroid and if Gina had any questions she could ask away...it was late when I post my brain was not on at full speed.    

• momof3boys
    momof3boys Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2012

Hi 40 somethings! I have a question for all...had my first TC treatment a week ago. Last night, I think I experienced a night sweat? I'm 43, premenopausal...is this from the chemo? Anyone else?

• kmur
    edited January 2012

Hi Michelle... I didn't think you sounded that way.  I  thought it was funny that Gina said she had been there and done that AND wrote the book. I think it is hard to see the meaning here though in typed words. You are always so nice.

Momoboys,I was DX at 43 and started chemo at 44 (my bmx was two days before my birthday) anyway yes I had night sweats midway through chemo then no more cycles.  At first the night sweats were really awful...then gradually better. I think most of us here have had night sweats. Some have not had regular cycles come back ( me) but others did post chemo. Hope that helps.

Kim

• blueyez
    blueyez Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2012

First post here.  Got diagnosied at 42 with bi-lateral bc.  Anyone else have cancer in both breasts?  Opted for dmx that I had in September.  Didn't have to do chemo but am taking tamoxifen and having hot flashes and mood swings!  Not fun!  I am also trying to eat healthy and organic as I can afford.  Started walking and hoping to do a bc walk later this year.  Got my tissue expanders swapped out last month but still have a couple procedures to go, hoping it doesn't slow me down too much.

• momof3boys
    momof3boys Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2012

Hi Kmur

Thanks for the reply. I got my regular period the day of my BMX surgery (yay me), then the next one came right on time and was very heavy. Started to get my period yesterday, today is very heavy and crampy....

• o2bhealthy
    edited January 2012

momof3boys...I had my regular period two days after my first TCH (July 2009) and then nothing for over a year...went into chemical menopause with mood swings and hot flashes (thank God for Effexor!!)...my period came back full force Aug 2010 so my menopause was temporary...

• bdavis
    edited January 2012

momof3boys... I had TC and also had night sweats (and day sweats), but it got better and chemo ended so did the hot flashes... I am now on Tamoxifen and still no real hot flashes like on chemo... I get warm flushes now, but not nearly as bad as on chemo.. But even on chemo the flashes improved after 3 or so tx.

June .. I think someone else may have suggested the frozen bottle, although I have used ice too... It helps a lot. and when I was in PT for my feet they would give me contrast baths, for ten minutes alternating freezing and warm foot baths, 2 minutes at a time... I think it encourages blood flow.