Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Single life after a mastectomy

Options

Comments

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2013
    Options

deb

I finished chemo may 2011 and it took about a year. I trimmed my hair along the way. I don't have internet on my computer right now where my pictures are stored. But will find one around may 2012 and post it. 

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb.. This was taken July 2012, so about 14 months post chemo... I have naturally curly hair, so I had to keep trimming it or it was crazy. I would say I had stubble start during chemo (between 3rd and 4th chemo).

These were 8 weeks post chemo... So you can see that once it started to grow, it went.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

7 weeks post chemo. So now you can compare my 7 to 8 weeks post chemo.

• grayeyes
    grayeyes Member Posts: 533
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb - Your hair probably will be shoulder length (if not longer) within a year.  I think many of us have haircuts in the meantime to keep it looking nice as it grows in.  My hair is super curly.  Chemo ended two years and 3 months ago, and I've had my hair cut several times.  Just a few weeks ago my hair length was at the middle of my back, and I had it cut again to my shoulders.  Like you, after chemo many of us come to like the shorter cuts.  My hair was long before chemo.  Now I like keeping it shoulder length or shorter.  You're going to feel great when the curls come in. 

• grayeyes
    edited December 2013
    Options

All of those things may not happen to you.  I take Tamoxifen, and I haven't had those side effects.  My hair always was very thick, and it still is.  (I straighten it twice a day.)  Soon they will put me on a different medication, though, so I don't know what will happen then.  I hope I don't experience side effects with the next medication.  Whatever happens, though, it doesn't mean you'll experience any side effects.  I have an older relative who's a BC survivor, and she was on armidex (I think... or was it another pill?).  She didn't have any of those side effects, either.  She's in her 80's and still adorable with a full head of hair. 

Have you gone to a "Look Good, Feel Good" session?  I did when I was on chemo, and we were shown what to do with makeup for eyebrows, etc.  Also we each were given a nice bag filled with cosmetics.  It was fun and helpful.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb, Thanks for thinking of me, i am now at the hospital waiting its 5:48 am my surgery is at 8 am. I will post as soon as i can. I am nervous just want it to be ok overall. :) its a different feeling this time around. Maybe cuz i am not so sure the PS will do her best but i keep my hopes up ;) I ll post you details as soon as i am out.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb,  I too had a lot of hair and still have a lot of hair. The texture will be different at first, and will probably grow in with a lot of chemo white hair. This all changes. With some time. After I took my wig off at about the 2.5 month post chemo mark, my hair was salt and pepper. Pepper being ash blond. So I asked my hair stylist to make it all the ash blond. Then about 3 weeks later, I asked her to add my summer highlights in that I had missed and was now September. WOW. what a difference. I really didn't have issues with that chemo white after that. And the curls have calmed down... I am now back to my normal curls.

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

Enerva... Good luck today!

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb... I bought an eyebrow pencil before chemo even started at seforia (mispelled?). It worked very well. I didn't lose my lashes (lost some) so mascara and eye liner worked for me. I had used Brian Joseph lash and brow gel to prevent loss... it worked well enough.

• VirginiaNJ
    VirginiaNJ Member Posts: 314
    edited December 2013
    Options

best wishes Enerva!!!!

Deb- my hair grew back exactly the same as before (brown where it was brown and grey where it was grey).  It was a bit softer to begin with and way way curly (I have pin straight hair so it was kind of fun to have curls).  The curls eventually went away when I cut my hair.  Last time, I finished chemo at the end of June - by October I was not wearing my wig (tho my hair was pretty short).  Anxious to see if it comes back the same way this time!!  As I mentioned I took pictures once a month to document the hair growth - glad I did so I can see when I will have hair.  Never dreamed back then the cancer would come back and I would want to look a those pics for that reason :(

I did the Look Good Feel Good program - it's totally worth it for the goody bag.  They spent time teaching you now to apply makeup....lol I have been wearing makeup for 35 years and I worked for a prestige cosmetic company, so I really didn't need to be taught how to apply makeup.  They did give you tips on how to draw on eyebrows which was helpful.  So far I haven't lost my eyebrows.....

I hope everyone who celebrates has a Merry Christmas!!!

• sandpiper1
    sandpiper1 Member Posts: 508
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thinking of you today E.

A very happy day to all.

Working over the holiday-however, no biggie as I do not celebrate this one.

Off to nap.......

xoxoxoxoxo

piper

• Enerva
    edited October 2016
    Options

tessa these are for you, this ll help u to fight for the right size, i wish i had w picture of my old me. i was a D. before bc. but i am so happy with this. Hope you get your ps to agree with you. i am waiting for one more hour to take the antibiotic n pain killers.   image

pictures before & After

also see how we lose projection this are TE 600 cc implants also610cc

• grayeyes
    edited December 2013
    Options

Enerva - You look great!  Very natural.  I would be very happy with those results.

Did you have nipple-conserving mastectomies?  Also, I don't remember having drains after my exchange. 

I hope you are able to rest well and recover quickly.  :-)

May you all enjoy a wonderful Christmas Day tomorrow. 

• VirginiaNJ
    VirginiaNJ Member Posts: 314
    edited December 2013
    Options

you look beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!  :). That is truly amazing!!!  All the best to you for a super speedy recovery!!!!

• Enerva
    edited December 2013
    Options

yes, i managed to have a Nipple sparing BMX, I am very happy since in Canada its not a common surgery but i went to second opinion and i basically argue and argue till i got a BS to agree. So far so good. I have to admit i have more pain now than with the mx. Holly crap this is painful will post tonight, going to bed now.

• juneping
    juneping Member Posts: 634
    edited December 2013
    Options

enerva - they good great. congrats!! hope you have a speedy recovery.

deb - feeling better...giving you a big hug!!

came back from my post op appt. as you can see my signature. the doc staged me at III....2 lymph nodes were positive. margins were clear. but the size of the tumor was huge. chemo was recommended, its ACT. i cried couple times on my way home. Bawling

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

I am about to watch my family leave for Christmas Eve with my husband's family. Something I wasn't invited to... Boy, I knew this would be difficult... but oh boy. I think I need to go buy the liquor store.  I mean go buy something at the liquor store. (no, I meant what I wrote). I just may be curling up in my bed and crying myself to sleep.

• grayeyes
    edited December 2013
    Options

June - Like you, I cried and cried in the beginning.  I wish that none of us had to be here on this forum at all, but thank goodness we all have each other to talk to.  I had two positive nodes, too, but I also had a positive margin at the chest wall.  It sounds encouraging that your margins were clear.

Bdavis - I can totally relate.  My kids are spending today (Christmas Day) with their father.  I feel bad for my sons - it's awkward for them.  But, it is what it is.  So, while I'm home, I figure I can get some work finished around here today. 

Deb - What a long, strange trip, indeed, for all of us.  Life can be very, uh, interesting sometimes.

• Enerva
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb i will be thinking of you. :) 

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb... Let us know as soon as you can how tomorrow goes.

• grayeyes
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb - I remember being given worrisome news from time to time when I was being treated.  There were many complications, and I was in and out of the hospital.  But the most worrisome times were when an oncologist or a doctor would see something on a scan.  At one point, there was a large mass on one ovary and fluid in my abdomen, so there was some concern that I could possibly have ovarian cancer, too.  To make a long story short, it turned out to be completely benign.

I hope you receive good news, too, tomorrow.  I'll be checking in, too, to see how your appointment went.

• Enerva
    edited December 2013
    Options

Oh Deb, i am so glad you are ok I am having pain but no more vomits so overall getting better. I am happy no need to worry about your breast. Hope things improve with the new lawyer. 

• Enerva
    edited December 2013
    Options

ha ha ha Deb you are funny, Trust me i will be here fir a long time, There is so much to heal emotionally i am not ready to leave this forum lol 

• TessaW
    TessaW Member Posts: 148
    edited December 2013
    Options

Enerva they turned out fabulous!   Dang girl !   Happy I am SOO happy for you ! 

Hey, I see my ps on the 30th again.  Can I take your pics with me?  ( It's ok if not.  I just think they look that good ! )

• TessaW
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb - after all the crap you've been and are still going through a little retail therapy is in order !

Life -  I'm so glad it turned out to be benign!  : )  I hope things keep getting better for you.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Bdavis - I know that feeling.  My ex husband left when my son was 3 weeks old.  He used to go hysterical when I had to send him with his dad when he was little.  He didn't want kids.   Plus, you love them so much you hate to see them leave.  Are they back yet?

On a side note,  Love the 2nd pic you posted.  : )

• Enerva
    edited December 2013
    Options

Holly Crap Tessa where have you been? i was so worry, cuz I thought i scared you lol Off course you can take my pictures, i need you to fight girl try to get over 600 cuz you will lose the projection. I will send you more pictures to your PM. I am glad you are ok 

• bdavis
    edited December 2013
    Options

Tessa... They were just gone for Christmas Eve... and then I had them for Christmas. My husband is still here in the house and both kids are home from college... So it almost seems normal, except when he took them for Christmas Eve.

My second picture? Thanks.

• grayeyes
    edited December 2013
    Options

Deb - Glad to hear the good news!  I checked in earlier and saw your message but did not have a chance to respond at that time.  Thanks for letting us know!

Bdavis - My soon-to-be-ex stayed in the house for a year before finally leaving.  It's nice that your kids were with you for Christmas.

Tess - I had many scares when I was being treated but came through it all OK.  Now it makes me happy whenever the rest of you receive good news.  The only things I have left to do now are the few finishing touches on the reconstruction (tattoos, etc.).  So, I'm reaching that light at the end of the tunnel soon...  :-)

All - Any new year's resolutions?

• TessaW
    edited December 2013
    Options

Enerva, honey, it would take A LOT to scare me away from here !    You girls are the only ones who understand what I'm going through and I'm glad we can all "gather" here.  

I've just been SO busy with extra hours at work 11-12 hour shifts and then taking care of my little boy. I didn't have much "me" time lately.

You're a real help to my boldness!

Life, Deb, & B,  I cannot imagine my ex-husband living in the same house with us.  I think I might've smothered him in his sleep !  There's no way.

Props to you girls for being able to do that !

B, yeah, your second pic, you have a nice smile on your face and the short style make your eyes look really big.  : )

I don't know that I can make any resolutions just yet.  I'm sort of taking things one day at a time, but after going through cancer crap being and living healthier is definitely a must.

• TessaW
    edited December 2013
    Options

Thanks Deb.  Happy It's good to be "back".  

I really am thankful you guys are here.  After BMX when I'm stuck at home and emotionally strung out, I'm sure I'll be here quite a bit. Loopy

My son has a birthday party in an hour and a half so I've got to get us ready and wrap a gift.   I'm trying to cram in as much as I can before being laid out.  

Blessings and pozzie thoughts to all of you...