Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• mnsusan
    mnsusan Member Posts: 139
    edited June 2013

Wishing Psalms a warm, comfortable, squishy day!

• psalms91
    psalms91 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2013

Thank You everyone, this is Psalms I am home.It was considered and in and out procedure.The procedure took 4 hours.I had a lot,of scar tissue on the dx side.Yesterday I was sleepy and had a headache.This morning I feel better,however,I know I must follow doctors ordered as ordered...Thanks for the well wishes and prayers.I will log in daily or more often.I choose the newest silicone that Kaiser offers.please excuse my misspelled words,I am still loopy

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2013

psalms - yay!  Rest and recuperate!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited June 2013

GrundyGirl: I had major issues with incision healing. I had pinholes too. My skin was thin from the MX and there wasn't adequate blood supply and it refused to heal. Ultimately I had to have the TE removed after trying to save it for 5 months. We let it heal without a TE for another 5 months, which gave my body time to develop better circulation. I then got a new TE and *still* had healing issues, though less than before; eventually the incision healed on its own (took another 3 months). I only had one fill, then had my exchange. I developed a pinhole after my exchange, but it healed quickly. Aside from developing a mystery rash (which I later determined was an allergy to soap/shampoo/laundry detergent), I healed fine. Due to all the trauma on that one side I have scar tissue, cording and some capsular contracture. And my IMF linesaer not even (lefty is an inch lower than righty) but I'm kinda over surgery at this point! Maybe one day I'll get them evened up, but I'm afraid since I have the healing issues to do anything further. Can't do tatts or nips because I an uneven, and that does bum me out, but it is what it is. Be patient with the pinholes. Eat LOTS of protein (100 grams daily); it really made a difference. Also, don't overuse your arm. Keep us posted.

Psalms, good to hear you finally had your exchange! Let us know what you think of them!

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    edited June 2013

Hi ladies. I hope everyone is doing well. Im still having pain on my radiated side and it hurts to wear a bra and it hurts to not wear one. lol. Im sure I have lifted something that I probably shouldnt have.

Psalms I get some rest.

• specialk
    edited June 2013

mel - can you get some PT?

• psalms91
    edited June 2013

Psalms checking in.just recuperating.Feeling Anxiety...is it over? How to heal properly and try not to jeopardize myself

• melmcbee
    edited June 2013

Special K, when I go back to my ps I will see what he says. Im really just so tired of spending money and being out of work. I have had like 2 different pt rounds since this began. One for post mastectomy and lymphedema and one for neuropathy and nerve pain. Ugh... sorry to whine its just a bad day and Im sick of hurting too today. Maybe I will try the neurontin again. Anyway thanks for listening it made me feel better to get it off my chest no pun intended.

Healing hugs to all.

• specialk
    edited June 2013

psalms - rest, eat protein, no heating pads, try to relax and believe that you may very well be done!

mel - I have done PT twice also - lymphedema first, then range of motion after exchange.  All of this gets old, especially when you are uncomfortable.  Hope you can feel better soon!

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2013

Well gals I'm on my way to my exchange surgery - about 7 months late but finally made it! Wish me luck

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2013

Congrats, roadwarrior---& good luck!

• GrundyGirl
    GrundyGirl Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013

Thanks for your imput! My Dr. called and wants to go ahead with the surgery and remove that tiny section of skin that is not healing and exchange the TE. He will also do a lift and probable reduction on my left. I'm so ready to get the the TE out. What type of protein did you take. Just food products  or some type of protein supplement? As for arm usage, I work as a Ultrasound/Echo/Mammo Technologist so it's constant usage. (Does'nt the lymphadema neither) Oh well at least the cancer is gone !!!(I HOPE FOREVER) I know it could be much worse but it's just frustrating!!! Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

• mnsusan
    edited June 2013

Hoping for a smooth, uneventful exchange for you, roadwarrior!

• specialk
    edited June 2013

road - yay!

grundy - many of us had skin excisions during the time we did battle with TE - I had three of them and you really can't tell where they were.  Hope it all goes smoothly.  Aim for 100g of protein a day in any way you can get it.  A good source is greek yogurt - Fage brand has 23g per serving.

• psalms91
    edited June 2013

Roadwarrior ....cyber hugs

• melmcbee
    edited June 2013

Good luck Roadwarrior. Healing hugs.

• Rennasus
    edited June 2013

Good luck day with your exchange, Roadwarrior! You've waited a long time. We understand!

Psalms, I know the anxiety you're feeling. Try and do something fun for yourself each day and give yourself a pat on the back for all you have been through! Remember our mantra: slow and steady wins this race!

GrundyGirl: I have had several skin recisions. My PS hid it all in the original scar line. I see in your tagline you're ER+, so stay away from soy products when trying to eat more protein. My doc told me soybeans in their natural form (edamame) was OK to eat now and then, but to stay away from products containing soy (like those sweet protein drinks at the market). Read your labels, soy is in a lot of things. I ran a list of high-protein foods on my blog last year if you need help (http://thebigcandme.blogspot.com/2012/03/high-protein-food-list.html). SpecialK is correct, greek yogurt is a real protein powerhouse! Hang in there and keep us posted.

Melmcbee, hope you feel less pain today.

LeeA: Good luck with your surgery today too!

• roadwarrior28
    edited June 2013

Hey all - I'm back from the hospital. The pain is worse than I expected cant really move around much. No drains though!! Just have to wear this ace bandage for 24 hours.

• mnsusan
    edited June 2013

Welcome back, road!  Rest, rest, rest!  And take your pain meds.  You'll be feeling better in no time!

• Rennasus
    edited June 2013

YAY roadwarrior! Exchange hurt more than I thought it would too... I had a lot of pocket work done. You may have had that too?? Good news on no drains! Rest up.

• GrundyGirl
    GrundyGirl Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013

Thanks for the info!!!

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2013

Good morning my ladies hope all is well.... So happy to know some of you have exchange already ... And sad that we all have still deal with this TE..... Sorry I been MIA.. But just to let you know that my TE on my cancer side has been removed for 3 weeks will start radiation next week which scares me cause some ladies say that we can't have implants after radiaton but my PS says its ok depending how my skin heals ..... So I'm praying that it heals fine to move forward I been delayed over 3 months!!!!! Ewwwww

• roadwarrior28
    edited June 2013

Hey all - took off my ace bandages yesterday and disappointed with the size. I was hoping to be the same size as I was with expanders and I'm much smaller, like an A cup I was before the mastectomy. I probably sound vain and should be grateful for anything, but the whole experience just has me down in the dumps...

• specialk
    edited June 2013

patriciahurtado - there are ladies up on the list of surgery in the topic header who have had rads and then an implant, but it has required patience.  Hang in there!

road - sorry you are disappointed, and don't worry we are all vain to some extent!  It is hard when you have waited so long and things don't look like you envisioned.  Keep in mind that things will change and settle too, but I hate that you are sad right now.

• patriciahurtado
    edited June 2013

Specially... Thank you... Patience is they key to TE and radiation... It sucks

• patriciahurtado
    edited June 2013

Specialk can't find anything regarding this issue can you copy me on the link please

• specialk
    edited June 2013

patriciahurtado - do you mean the list of ladies in the header I referred to?  All I meant was that if you go to the top of the page and look at the list, there are a number of ladies who had rads and then silicone implants - off the top of my head I know DLL66 has - maybe you could send her a PM?  I had my TE out for seven months after three attempts to excise damaged skin, so when my TE was replaced my PS had to proceed very slowly, I had 25cc fills over a long period of time - much like I had been radiated, and things worked out fine - but I understand the patience thing!

• DLL66
    edited June 2013

Yep, I had a BMX with delayed reconstruction. I was completely flat during radiation. About 2 months after rads was finished, I had a latissimus dorsi flap on my rads side with TEs placed on both sides. 2 months after that, I had a skin failure on my non-rads side & opted for another lat flap on that side with silicone implants placed on both sides.

I still had continued healing issues on my rads side. Radiation really damages circulation & you can't see the damage from the outside. The lat flap brings new blood flow with it. Even with that, I still had healing issues. Fortunately, I had a very stubborn PS & I am very happy with my final results. It just took a bit longer to get there than anyone had planned on.

• DLL66
    edited June 2013

Awww, roadwarrior. Do you know what size/type implants you ended up with? Keep in mind that if you have silicone rounds, they will "drop & fluff" over time & will appear larger as your skin adjusts. The ace bandage has likely been smushing them flat, besides.

• roadwarrior28
    edited June 2013

Dll66 - I got silicone round high profile 425ccs.