Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited December 2011
    Options

Ok everybody, here is where collective positive energy And thought can work. Everyone say out loud, "IRW's disability will go  well today."

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011
    Options

Tam so happy to hear your six month mammo was clear.  I don't get one for almost a year after diagnosis.  Mine is scheduled for June 11th..my BC was diagnosed July 1, so a long time.

Kate I hope you find relief with the PT, may do.  I am starting soon for my neck.

I have to go to see my thyroid surgeon this morning.  Very annoying.....the end of my incision opened up last night with a burst of pus and blood.  I was scheduled to see my surgeon two weeks post op, but got his PA instead.  Just the one end had a thick red bump on it and I asked why.  He said he didn't know, but said it should absorb into the skin in a few months.  Wrong answer!  This happened just after 5:00 so of course got the answering service but surgeon called back right away.  The opening is teeny but my concern is the infection.  So off I go this morning later so he can take a look at it.  Grrrr........

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thank you everyone for the info on rads.  Sounds like I'm headed down that path whether I want to or not, so I might as well start gearing up for it!  I wanted the mammosite, but my BS doesn't like it because it leaves a cavity in the surgical site that can fill with fluid.  He recommended a three week 5x/wk treatment for a total of 15.  I was told when I met with my medical team that it reduces the chance of recurrance from 30% down to 5%.  That's a pretty high percentage to ignore.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011
    Options

Janis, I've noticed slower healing all over following rads.  Hopefully this is just a bump in the road and you will soon be on the road to a full recovery!!  So sorry you are having to deal with this!

Kaara, I think Kate did a shorter course, like 15 or 18 days.  It's a pain to have to do it, but like you, I'm glad I had the option to reduce the risk.

Steph 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 913
    edited December 2011
    Options

Janis, you have a right to rant, all you want to. Lab results that are not normal are a big worry! I got a call from my FP that my WBC is a bit low. Anyone else have that after rads? Kate, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Elizabeth, I have one tat in the middle that I very much do NOT like. Tam, sorry for your loss. I have a six month post surgical appointment on Monday. Not looking forward to that.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Yes to the low counts after rads, my test on 11/16 I was 3.1 which scared the shit  out of me. I bought some High potency vit C and zinc and yesterday I tested at 4.1. Hopefully it will keep going up. The onc did not even blink an eye. Told me to stop perseverating.  Well excuse me for being a little paranoid after all I have been through Doc! I want mine in the 8s.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi Merilee thanks for letting me know. I had a reclast infusion yesterday for osteoporosis. The side effects suck. I was up all nigh with severe flu- like syptoms, and I couldn't get out of bed till 2 pm today. I still feel bad. I hope thia goes away tomorrow. I wanted a couple of days without pain before my surgery Wednesday

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thank you Gigil

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Kate, I hope you feel better fast. Poor thing, I know you are trying so hard to get things back to normal. One thing I have learned is that no matter how hard you try you can't rush the healing. It just takes time and I hate that so much. I try to keep saying  chin up and march forward because the alternative sucks. So hard at times.

• gigil
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Merilee, thanks for letting me know that.  I am reassured.  How the heck can we avoid worrying about these things??  Undecided  I think it is normal under the circumstances.   Kate, I imagine there were lots of aches during the night for you.  I hope tonight is better.  
  • stephN
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee, I think you hit the nail on the head there.  We all want so much for things to be "normal."  And you are right.  It takes time.  Lots of time.  I love your advice to chin up and keep marching forward.  

Kate, hugs for the flu-like symptoms.  I hope the Reclast does its job and your bones are reaping the benefits!!

I'm going for scans on Monday, to get my HT script, and for the pre-op for the surgery, all in the same day.  Marching forward, right?

Love y'all,

Steph 

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thank you Merilee, Gigil, and Stephn. Merilee I like your philosophy of chin up and march forward. I am resilient, so I try to do it, but yesterday I just gave up and stayed in bed all day. I still feel sick, but not as bad as yesterday. Stephn good luck with your surgery.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Kate-Sometimes progress is realizing that your body has had its limit and allowing yourself to accept the comfort of your bed. Some days are better to sleep through than to experience. It is not a defeat, it is honoring yourself and ta heck with what anyone might think of it.

I have no doubt that you are as strong as they come.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Well put Merilee. Thank you

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

How ya doing today Kate?

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi merilee, How nice of you to ask. I feel fine today after 48 hours of discomfort.So glad to have today, Monday, and Tuesday without pain. My surgery is Wednesday

• gigil
    edited December 2011
    Options

So glad to hear that Kate.  Rest well, and get ready for your surgery on Wednesday.  You are really a tough lady!

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Almost there Kate. Rest, rest rest. I can't remember are you have tissue expanders first? And what time is your surgery on Wednesday, I want to make sure I send positive light.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thank you Gigil

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Yikes! I am freaking out. I just found a tiny lump of something on my left side of my chest. That is not the side I had cancer on before. I have a call in to the onc but just got a voice mail of the scheduling person. I am supposed to go in in the 19th for my follow up but I want to drive over there now and am having a very hard time not panicking -HELP!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee I have read this several times and I still don't know what to say. Its something I fear alot now. We all would be freaking out for sure. I hope there is a logical explanation for it. I could say don't worry but I know you are. Just know I am here for you. Try and stay strong till you see someone.. Your in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, lisa

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee, I will be keeping you in my prayers.  Sending hugs to you.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee, take a deep breath.  Our breasts change all the time, and I hope it's nothing more than that.  Sending you my good thoughts and wishes.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thanks ladies, I thought that having a dmx was going to save me from this kind of stress. I just managed to ween myself off lorizopam this last week and no I am a wreck again. I have not taken any and don't want to. I am tired of having all this foreign stuff in my body and just am so longing for peace. I hate this shit.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee,

I understand where you are coming from......I too do not like taking a lot of junk medicines, however, I also know that the stress you (and the rest of us here) are going thru, can make it necessary, because the more stress we endure the harder our recovery.....A real bummer isn't it...Any way, we need to do whatever we can to make this journey smoother...

Hang in there... we hope all this mess will soon be a just a bad memory for us...

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee - you know every one of us is panicking with you.  This is all so unfair.  Prayers and hugs to you.  Keep us posted!

Vicky

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee, I wasn't able to respond sooner, because yesterday around noon I spilled water on my cable modem, and the internet went out. I don't have a laptop. Time Warner just replaced the modem. My Gosh I am so sorry that you have this worry. I know it's hard, but you give the best advice...chin up and march forward. You will be ok, and I will keep you in my prayers.

• stephN
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee,

I'm so sorry that you found something more to worry about.  I know that every little lump and bump threatens to send me into a panic.  You've been so helpful to everyong here.   Praying that you are able to be seen quickly and that the doc is able to reassure you that it's nothing.

Hugs,

Steph 

• Merilee
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi every one, just returned from 7 hours with the Docs and have very good news. I had an ultra sound and there is nothing there other than my own flesh. They were able to get me over to the ultra sound ASAP when the saw I was on the verge of a nervous break down. The radiologist came in and gave me the results before I left.  All clear! My GOD, I need a nap.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2011
    Options

Merilee that's absolutely wonderful!