Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited December 2011

StephN hope you continue to feel better.  I had a headache for a few days after my surgery.  I think it was after effects of the anesthesia.  It eventually went away.  It wasn't horrible, but there, nonetheless.  So glad you are past the surgery and on to the healing.

Kate, you are a tough gal to be able to get the dental work right after your rads were finished and now the breast surgery.  I hope the swelling goes down enough for you, but if not, you will be able to modify things.  I admire your courage to do those things.  I need dental work done too, and I am very nervous about it and my upcoming colonoscopy.  I don't even dare start on anything until my wbc comes up a little.  Merilee, is that what your problem was after rads?  The wbc?  I think you mentioned something about it previously.  Was it just the wbc or orther values too?

Laura, as if you haven't been through enough.  Now you have to deal with something else too?  As far as your skin holding up, they say after radiation no bacteria can live there for awhile, so that part might mean less chance for infection.  I hope your tests come back that things are fine, and you can just get on to healing up from this.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited December 2011

Yup my WBC was down to 3.1 and the norm for the scale they were using was 4.2 and up.

In a month, I have been able to raise it to 4.1 using high dose vit c and zinc. I am also eating spinach until  it is coming out my ears and craving grapefruit. Funny how the body knows what it needs.I actually bounced back better after chemo than I have from rads WBC wise anyhow.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2011

Hi GiGil, Good to hear from you again.  Good luck with your WBC's, colonoscopy, and dental work.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2011

GiGil--I have hard adhesions under my scar too but have had good results so far at the lymphedemic clinic.  Just another option if you can find a good therapist who works on scar tissue.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011

Steph...I am so happy to see you posting.  It sounds like it all went well.  Get lots of rest and update when you can.  You will feel your strength return every day.  Hugs!

GiGil...I had both a colonoscopy and a right thyroid lobectomy after I finished rads.  Both went well and I have not had any problems since.

I have a question....I am five months post surgery.  I had just the lumpectomy, no chemo.  My breast is still tender and it is still swollen.  Not huge, but definitely heavier than my "good" breast.  My underarm near the sentinal node incision is also puffy.  Does anyone know if this is normal?  I see my breast surgeon next month so maybe he will be able to reassure me this is the norm.  I don't have any swelling anywhere else that I have noticed.

Merilee....glad you are okay hon.  Hugs to you! 

Welcome to all the new ladies here.  Best wishes and big hugs to all.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011

Janis I finished rads the end of Jan and still have the heavy feeling sometimes.  At least it comes and goes now where before it was constant.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2011

Gigil, Thanks for your words of encouragment. You are a strong lady too, and will do fine with your colonoscopy and dental work. The day of the colonoscopy is a breeze. They will put you out, so you con't feel anything. When you wake up you will feel fine too. The only thing that was aggravating was drinking the liquids the night before. I had a colonoscopy about a week before my memorable mammogram. You are one tough cookie and you will be good.

• gigil
    edited December 2011

Janis when I went in for my six month exam my surgeon told me it might be a year before everything goes back to normal..SAB, she did mention getting in to see a lymphedema therapist for the stiffness, and I will mention the scar tissue as well. Kate I will remember that the colonoscopy is nothing to fear. Janis I am glad you have all of that behind you. Hi Elizabeth! I must be getting less stressed and remembering more often to pop in and check on my sister warriors. We are all tough cookies here that is for sure. Merilee I was also deficient on D, so I am taking that, C, B, and this week I am adding fish oil. Christmas is coming quickly. Is everyone able to get out and shop as they did before? I think I wesr out a bit more than I used to.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

I am shopping from my chair in the living room :0)

Janis, my radiation onc told me that radiation makes the breast tissue more firm.  Mine definitely is.  I don't think it's swollen, but it is very tender.  I asked both oncologists about it when I saw them last week. They said the tenderness might last as long as a year.  I don't know if that helps?

My headache is gone, but the pain from the surgery is a bit worse today.  I'm trying to stay in my chair as much as possible.  I think I might've been up and around too much yesterday.  SO hard to stay down when I want to be outta here!  I'm not having menopause symptoms yet.  I start Femara a week from today, so know I will have some hot flashes then.

Thanks for the sweet notes.  It's so encouraging to come here and see how everyone is getting along.  I agree that it's so reassuring to know that whatever the issue is, someone else has probably had it before and can soothe the fears and worries.

XOXO!

Steph 

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2011

I had my last treatment yesterday. Whew.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Truebff- that is fabulous, let the healing begin!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2011

truebff Congratulations!!! Try and rest and heal....

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2011

Congrats truebff

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2011

Thanks All!

And all your posts have helped me tremendously. This is a place of compassion, help, and hope.

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited December 2011

Way to go truebff!  You made it!

• stephN
    edited December 2011

Truebff!  Congrats on making it through!  How is your skin holding up?

• Beaglesgirl
    Beaglesgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2011

I'm six days out and my breast is a mess! yikes! Not only is it red and raw but it seems to have swelled and the inner pain has increased. anyone else get worse before it gets better?

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Beaglesgirl-Yes, mine did that. It also seeped which sent me back to the doc. They gave me nonstick pads and burn cream  to use. That continue for about two weeks. Hang in there.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited December 2011

Janis,

I am 6 months post surgery, and I have the same feeling you described - definitely a little swollen, both the breast and by where they did the snb.  This only started about a month ago, in October I was wondering what to get to stuff in my bra to fill up the cup, and now I don't need anything.  Also a little sore from breast to snb site.  I'm not feeling anything hard in the breast yet as people who have had rads describes.  I see my BS next month, will be sure to ask her about it.  Dreading the mammo beforehand, can't imagine how squishing is going to feel with all this extra fluid in there.

Pat

• justmejanis
    edited December 2011

Pat,

I see my BS next month too, but there is no mammogram planned as far as I know.  My RO scheduled a mammogram for me for June.  I am a bit confused as to why so long.  Anyway what you describe sure feels like what I am experiencing.  My breast feels and looks a little larger than my non cancer breast.  It definitely fills the cup, when after surgery it did not.  I guess this is norrmal post rads.  It will be interesting to see how both of our appointments go next month.

Steph I hope you are feeling better hon.  Sending big healing hugs to you!

Beaglesgirl....so sorry to hear you are suffering!  I got a fairly bad burn and like Merilee used the pads and good prescription cream.  Ask your doctor for help!

truebff...CONGRATULATIONS!!  It gets better from now on.  Be good to yourself!

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

$#@!

I just came from the doctor and she found a patch of skin on my chest that she biopsied. She is suspecting it might be skin cancer. From what you ask? RADIATION! UG!

• Beaglesgirl
    Beaglesgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2011

oh no way Merilee! :( that stinks. what are the next steps for that? sending a round of healing prayers all the way around. sounds like we all need it

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2011

Merilee, How awful for you.  I am praying the results will be benign.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

I ask what do we do if it is and she said we cut it off. I said CUT IT OFF NOW! and she did. Now I have to wait for lab results. She told me this is not the first  time she  has seen this in radiation patients. So ladies, if you have a spot that you think might just be dry skin, better have the doc look at it. My spot was only 1cm but I had tried cortisone on it for a few weeks and got no where. That is why I had her look at it.

I was just at the Onc office last week and if they missed this and it is cancer I am going to be livid.

My wellness doctor took it off. Now... also if she if wrong I am going to slug her for  scaring me to death. I am so sick of feeling afraid  I could scream!

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited December 2011

Oh Merilee, as if this year has not dealt out enough unpleasant surprises!  I am praying for a B9 report.

• justmejanis
    edited December 2011

Oh Merilee I cannot believe this!  I can't tell you how sorry I am that you have to go through this.  I am angry with you.  Please keep us posted.  I so hope it turns out to be nothing serious.  You'll be in my thoughts. 

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2011

Thinking of you Merilee. Hugs and Prayers!!!

• gigil
    edited December 2011

Merilee, what does the patch of skin look/feel like?  So sorry!  Can't a girl catch a break??  Keep us posted.  We are here.

• gigil
    edited December 2011

Now that you mention the skin Merilee, I have a fairly large patch of dry skin that I just assumed was eczema!  I have had that in the past.  It is itchy and dry.  Our skin is so tender right now, we are more prone to all of that stuff.

• stephN
    edited December 2011

Oh, Merilee, praying for benign results for you.  The fear is the absolute worst part of living through cancer.  I'm so sorry you are dealing with one more thing.

I do have a new mole on the underside of my breast that I have to get checked by a dermatologist.  My MO said she often saw skin issues pop up after radiation too.

Hugs,

Steph