Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• kal21
    kal21 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2011

mama v... curious being stage 1 and you had so many surgeries and chemo?Wsa it the Onco dx test?

Great news for Merilee!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2011

Mama V you are so very nice. Unfortunately going to the hospital visiting cancer patients would depress me too much. I am going to shop until I drop till the stores are open Saturday, and Sunday I will go to the movies. I am Jewish and celebrate Hannukah, so being alone Dec. 25, isn't as bad for me. If I wasn't so unhappy about these umplants I would look for Mr. Right, but unfortunately I can't have them taken out till around Jan 9.

• koffman51
    koffman51 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011

Two biopsies,two lumpectomies, six weeks of rads and driving 120 miles to and from rad tx's  and then fours weeks of "burn" tx.....has really made me appreciate "quiet time!".....I have been reading everyone's posts and have enjoyed all of the banter from fellow breast cancer friends..

We have all gone through the emotional part.......I hope the "newly dx" patients find this site......

Maybe we should supply breast cancer surgeons with a little card directing all new patients.

Happy Holidays to "ALL OF US!"

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited December 2011

bar630 - I had surgeries to get clean margins (excisional biopsy, lumpetcomy, port installation), had the mega chemo b/c my doctor wanted to throw the book at me to make sure it didn't come back (I was 95% Estrogen positive) and I was 40 at diagnosis - got a long life to live! I figured what the hell, my hair is gonna fall out and I'm gonna feel like crap - throw it all at me!  I don't EVER want to go through that again.  Also - my tumor did not show up on a mammo so we didn't want to take any chances at all!  Never had an onco test - I don't think anyway :)

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited December 2011

It has been one hell of a year for all of us. 2012 is going to be great!

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    edited December 2011

merilee, i'm so happy about your news.  i know you'll have a better christmas now.

• Myopiawmn
    Myopiawmn Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2011

Reading these posts gives me hope. At my last appointment with my surgeon, he's in the middle of his normal chitchat during my breast exam when he stops and says "I don't mean to worry you but I don't like the look of this new mole". Really, you don't mean to worry me?!? Doesn't he know that everything worries a cancer survivor? So I'm going to have it taken off and I'll hope for the best.

• Myopiawmn
    edited December 2011

Reading these posts gives me hope. At my last appointment with my surgeon, he's in the middle of his normal chitchat during my breast exam when he stops and says "I don't mean to worry you but I don't like the look of this new mole". Really, you don't mean to worry me?!? Doesn't he know that everything worries a cancer survivor? So I'm going to have it taken off and I'll hope for the best.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

As if we'll ever NOT be worried again.  Doctors!

Thanks for all the good wishes.  I'm doing well.  As I'm sure I've said before, the surgery was more painful than I expected (I think I was delusional) but I'm doing better.  I'm still taking a pain pill here and there, but I'm able to get up and around pretty well and I've even gotten out a little bit.   Love to all you girls!

I've been reading on the Femara thread about what I can expect in the new year.  All I have to say is cancer is not for sissies.  We are some brave women, every one of us. 

• Myopiawmn
    edited December 2011

I had just decided for the first time in my 2 year journey that there was absolutely no hidden cancer anywhere in my body. And then he burst my happy bubble with those little words. And today I found out that my oncotype score is 47! Now I'm back in stress mode.....

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Myopiawmn- The recent skin sample that my doctor took and sent in turned out to be Keratosis. It is from my body producing too much Keratin. I have not been able to find any research  that answers why a body would do that but everything I looked at said it is very common. The other thing, the therapist I work with has specialized in survivors for many years and she says that all kinds of weird things happen to skin after it is radiated. Things that are more common older women. She was furious with my doctor for scaring me for nothing. It was a set back in my mental health as I too was just starting to feel confident about no more cancer in my body. It does not take much to bring it all flooding back. Now I am afraid to go to my check ups as I don't want to be re-truamatized every time I go.. Cancer sucks and fear is its best friend and companion. After the holidays I am looking for a hypnotist and will try that.  I had a friend who who had a phobia and she was relieved of it by hypnotism. I am willing to try it at this point.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011

Kate........Happy Hannukah to you. 

Steph, sure glad to hear you are doing better!  Just relax as much as you can and enjoy the holidays.

Myopiawmn....sorry about another scare.  Hopefully all is well and it will turn out to be nothing.  Hugs!

Merilee...I know your scare was awful.  Do whatever it takes to get to feeling better.  I hope hypnosis helps you.  We all deserve some peace!

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Thanks, Janis.  Wish you were closer to Alabama!  You and hubby would be so welcome to celebrate the holidays with us!  It's nothing like a holiday up north though...it's been hot and humid here this week.  Great for the hot flashes.  ;o)

Myopiawmn, I hope your mole turns out to be nothing, too.  I think I mentioned I have a new mole after rads too.  It definitely does weird things to your skin.

Merilee, I have a friend who has done some hypnosis after cancer to help with fears regarding upcoming treatment.  (She has a chronic type of cancer, not breast cancer).  It's definitely helped her.  I'm so glad that this was nothing to worry about!

Kate, I hope your holidays are relaxing and enjoyable! 

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas, everyone!  What a year it has been for all of us.  I am so thankful that we had each other to lean on through all the scary treatments.  You all helped me so much.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Sending prayers and hope for a healthy and happy future for the great group of people who post here.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2011

‎"When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things - not the great occasions - give off the greatest glow of happiness. " Bob Hope

Merry Christmas ladies and I hope that everyone has a healthy and spectacular 2012!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2011

Thinking of you all and what we have been through together. I could have not done it w/o you. Thanks for being there for me. I know no matter what I can always come here and get the love, support and encouragement I need to do anything. Means so much to me. You Ladies rock.... I hope everyone has a very blessed Christmas. With all the Love, Heath and Happiness that each of you deserve, Hugs and Prayers, Lisa

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011

What a wonderful post irw. My sentiments exactly. Everyone's support has meant the world to me. I too wish everyone a Merry Xmas and hope you all have good health, wealth, and happiness for the new year. I am melancholy this Xmas eve, because I am alone, but I am trying to concentrate on my blessings, instead of the lonliness.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas to all my friends!  Next year will be better, promise!  Thank you all for the love and support and strength you have sent my way.  Also the wonderful friendship!  I am so glad that I have come to know you wonderful ladies.  Have a fabulous holiday everyone.  XOXOXOXOXOXO.  I just know 2012 has to be better for all of us!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2011

Merry Christmas to all of you wonderful ladies! It was sad circumstances that brought us together, but it is a happy place to be when you need a friend. Thank you for the inspiration and information in 2011. It has meant so much to me. Here's to a better year for everyone in 2012! Onward and upward!

• tamcathtech
    tamcathtech Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2011

Hi GIRLS!!! I haven't been on much in the last month, back at work full time with crazy hours....Today is the two months from my last rad tx.....fatigue has been MUCH better in the last month...still taking anxiety meds to deal with life and all, but that would probably be the same without the whole cancer thing. I get my third ZOLADEX injection next week and am taking Femara daily....doing well, only minor hot flashes that can be relieved pretty quickly....I have learned to dress in layers as I live 60 miles south of chicago and the weather has been unseasonably warm. Still separated from the husband but we talk almost daily regarding his business and helping with his mom since his fathers' death last month. We get along much better when we dont live together. sad but if I am not number 1 to him than i cannot live with him at this time. I am in no hurry to make any major decisions with that aspect of my life. I have noticed that everyone is so excited to say I am "done" with the whole cancer thing......it may be "gone" but I have to explain I must continue to fight to prevent it from returning!!!! Skin has healed wonderfully, definitely have thickening of the breast tissue and a few "lumpy spots" that go away with massage I learned from a lymphedema therapist I saw before and during rads. Breast still feels heavy and half of it is numb, it has always been larger than the good breast even before cancer dx. Feels good to be back on here babbling away. I have been praying for all of u and just updated myself on the last month of posts........MERRY CHIRSTMAS to you all, continue to give yourself the gift of making yourself a priority we deserve it the last year, or more has been on and off hell for us!!! Will be in touch again soon!

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Here is affirming that 2012 will be filled with health, happiness and prosperity!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2011

I'm holding that thought close Merilee. Best of everything to you, and the other sisters here.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011

For those worried about me because I am alone on Christmas I am having a good day. It is 69 degrees here in Santa Monica, Ca. I bought my self a bunch of presents lol, new seat covers for my dining room chairs. a new cell phone, 2 darling sweaters and t-shirts from J crew and 2 pair of sneakers from Sketchers, plus a bunch of other assorted stuff. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I wish all my sistas the best of health for 2012..

• kal21
    kal21 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2011

Was this your second onco Dx test? I was confused why 2 years later they did it?

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited December 2011

Myopiawmn, if you don't mind sharing, if you had it done, what was your Oncotype DX score the first time? And did you get chemo or no? I'm just starting down the treatment road, and trying to learn all I can.

• Myopiawmn
    edited December 2011

The 47 score is actually my first oncotype score.  Long story but I received substandard care 2 years ago when I was starting my journey and my new oncologist ordered this test to see for future treatment.  I had already had chemo because my other risk factors were high (age of 36, grade of 3).

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited December 2011
    I'm really sorry you have to go back to sqare one, or thereabouts. This is all so hard. BC sucks. Frown
  • Myopiawmn
    edited December 2011

You are so right, BC sucks.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Myopiawn- when is that mole coming off? Soon I hope. so that you can rule out any problem. I had to switch Oncs also, the first set I had were just a couple of bimbos, and had the worst bed side manner I have ever seen. Just amazing isn't it? When I had my recent negative skin biopsy the doctor told me even if it was basil cells that they don't carry much threat and are easy to remove. Hopefully you won't have to deal with any of that but if so, that is as bad as it will get. They take it off then freeze the area. Nothing like enduring chemo again. Please post as you get answers, we ladies on here all have you on our minds. This group works that way.

Hugs

Merilee