Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited December 2011

Marilyn

I have learned more from these threads than from all of my doctors combined. Sorry you have to join us, I see that you were just recently diagnosed. I lived in Dewitt many moons ago. Now I am on the south side near Holt. Please let me know if I can be of help to you.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2011

I too have learned much more from this group than from my doctors. I think that my doctors believe that ignorance is bliss.

Merilee, I will be thinking of you. Hugs.

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited December 2011

One year ago today I received a phone call that instantly changed my life and the lives of my family and friends. I call it my cancerversary. Looking back on this year I survived 3 surgeries, 16 chemo treatments, 36 radiation treatments and countless blood tests and scans. I lost my hair, some of my nails, and a lot of weight. Through it all, I learned  a lot about myself, my family and my friends. I cried a lot, prayed even more.  I laughed a little and got out of bed to fight for my life every single day! I made some new friends, watched a few old ones walk away because it was too much and more than anything I learned to love every minute of my blessed life with my family and friends!  I had cancer but cancer DID NOT have me!

I couldn't have done it without you!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2011

MamaV- What a beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes. Happy cancerversary!!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited December 2011

Mamav, I cried when I read all that you've been through. My 2 lumpectomies and radiation is nothing in comparison. I am so glad that you are doing well now. Hugs!

• Beaglesgirl
    Beaglesgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2011
    MamaV, I am happy to have made friends like you since coming here. I pray we share many cancerversaries together-- mine isn't for several months -- I will be here then too! CHEERS!
  • Merilee
    edited December 2011

MamaV you rock! Happy day darlin! Hug your family, dance in the kitchen, eat something delightful, you so deserve to be celebrating!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited December 2011

MamaV, Wishing you many more cancerversaries and many, many happy times in between them.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2011

MamaV Congratulations... Talk about pulling on my heartstrings. You have been through so much. What an inspiration. Thank you for sharing...

• MamaV
    edited December 2011

Thanks everyone ... can't wait to celebrate your cancervaries too!

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

MamaV, just read your inspirational post.  Happy cancerversary to you!  So glad this year is over for you.

Love,

Steph 

• Elizabeth1889
    edited December 2011

I learned today that my RO died last week.  My heart goes out to his family and staff who are mourning at a time of year which should be so joyous.  My RO and I got off on the wrong foot from the first day and although I trusted his expertise and he seemed like a good person, our interactions just were not good.  I had hoped to mend that relationship during my follow up visits, but now I will never get the chance.  Time is fleeting.  I pray he is being rewarded now in heaven.

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011

Very sad, a former Miss Venezuala died of breast cancer today at the age of 28.

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

I have very good news! My skin biopsy was B9!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2011

Thank God your ok... Merilee you just made my day.  The things we have to go through, pure evil...

• Beaglesgirl
    Beaglesgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2011
    I am so glad for you, huge sigh of relief! Merilee!
  • MamaV
    edited December 2011

Merilee - YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!!!

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011

Merilee, that is great news. I am so happy for you.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited December 2011

Yay! Merilee - so happy for you.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited December 2011

Merilee- What wonderful news!  

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011

Merilee.......can you say "thrilled"?

stock photo : Close-up of explosion of champagne bottle cork

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Not yet Janis, I am still historically laughing and crying while babbling curse words.

I feel so lucky!

• marilyn113
    marilyn113 Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2011

Wonderful news, Merilee!  I'm sorry you had to go through that scare.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2011

Yea Merilee!!!!!

• Merilee
    edited December 2011

Thank you everyone for your kind support through my most recent trauma. It really helps to have all of you in my corner.

Hugs

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited December 2011

Merilee, thank God!  It is about time you have good news and can breathe easier.  I am so relieved for you.  I hope you can now relax and have a great Christmas.

MaMaV congrats on getting through this past year and moving ahead to many years of survival.  Your post brought back so many memories and feelings for me.  

To all of you dear ladies, Merry Christmas, and may you all be filled with peace and joy.  You deserve it!! 

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Wonderful news, Merilee! 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2011

MamaV, your post touched me deeply.  You are a strong and brave sweet lady.  Sending you an abundance of love to get through the new year ahead.

Steph, hope you are recovering well and feel strong again soon.  Many healing hugs!

Gigil....thanks for all the good wishes!  I hope you have a fabulous holiday.  Celebrate life!

Merilee...ah hon, you have been through SO much!  I am just glad we are able to help hold your cyber hand when these scares come up.  Everyone here has been so supportive to me!

I am a little bummed as Christmas is almost here and another year without my kids.  They are grown, I have two sons.  One if not  in a good place, his depression comsumes him and that breaks my heart.  He is in Wyoming. My only grandchild, Wesley, lives there also with his mother. My youngest is in Colorado and he and his wife have very demanding jobs.  No chance they will make it here, I have not even heard from them.  It is just hard, we are spending Christmas alone.  I am trying really hard to be positive...and I am, honest.  I am grateful for all of you great friends, and for life.  Just a little sad you know?  I miss my family but will get through it.  Not even cooking anything special for Christmas dinner. 

Anyway........to all of you who have been here for me these long months...many thanks, I love you all and wish everyone happy holidays, and Merry Christmas.  HUGS to you all!

• katehudson25
    edited December 2011

Janis, I know exactly how you feel. I am spending the holidays totally alone. As you know I am seperated from my husband. I live in Santa Monica, Ca. and my children and grandchildren live in the Northern suburbs of Chicago. I am not thinking about the loneliness. I am thinking about how good it is to be alive, and how grateful I am that my cancer was stage 1. I am over doing shopping, because that keeps me busy, and my mind off of being alone.I am also eating too much, because that is a great diversion from the lonliness. I hope you find ways to keep your mind off of the lonliness. You are a strong lady so I know you can do it. Hugs!

• MamaV
    edited December 2011

I am so sad for kate and janis spending the holidays alone.  My heart breaks for you.  If you are feeling well, maybe you could go to the cancer ward at your local hospital and visit other cancer patients who are alone too?  Just a thought!  Wish I could have you to my house!

Vicky