Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2014

Oh my goodness BigD, NO WAY.  You have so much going for you--strength, great attitude, great medical team.  I'm so glad you came through your surgery so well!  I hope your post-Zometa day isn't too achy.  But seriously, this colon spot on top of the rest is such a lot for you to be dealing with.  I'm so sorry.  We are all with you no matter what!  Fashion Warrior powers, activate!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2014

(((BigD))) - Joan, I'm going to slowly retread your post and try and process...praying!

Please stay well hydrate over the best 48 hours.  I had Zometa infusion 7/11 and the following evening had fever chills aches and generally :((( for 12 hours...because I was traveling I didn't hydrate well so drink up and take Tylenol.

The fashion diva princess warrior coat has special pockets full of love that can bear, carry, and transform.

xo our sweet sister 

• rmlulu
    edited August 2014

April - Happy Dance!  Yippee Ooo who:)

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited August 2014

Yes April congrats!!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

I found this on Facebook and thought it was great.I should hang this in my office at work.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2014

April I am thrilled for your good news.  Mine have always been clear too but it sure feels better when they tell you that.  I am happy dancing for your good news!

Joan/Big D I am so sorry about the most recent scare.  You really need to catch a break my friend!  I was happy to see your long post.  I know collectively everyone here sighed a big sigh of relief.  We are all here, as you know, to hold your hand and walk right alongside you.  We are always right here we won't let you fall.  You know you can always count on us.

Josie, your new teeth look great!  What a relief to finally get that behind you.  Now if you can just find a job you like, with a group of people who appreciate all the hard work you do.  One day at a time Sweetie.  It will get better, I know it will.

Gigil it sounds like you are really busy these days.  It is hard to believe summer is nearly over and soon everyone will be focused on back to school.  I remember those days well.  Enjoy that special time with your granddaughter.  I know how special the time with her means to you.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

So wonderful to hear from you, upfront and personal, as they say, BigD!  It sounds as though you breezed right through surgery and absolutely aced the hospital stay. You even sound eager to get back to work, warrior princess that you are!

And ughhh for the bone marrow test.  Just for starters, that particular procedure ain't on none of our wanna do lists.  I consider you absolutely brilliant in remembering to ask them to medicate you.  I have no idea of how significant your bone marrow results might be, but they do sound alarming.  As you've skated blithely through your days until now without symptoms, I'd guess, and I'd hope, that it'll all be pretty treatable and, for the most part, ignorable. 

About vertigo--I learned many, many years ago, not to try to do anything but walk straight ahead.  No reading, no swiveling my head from side to side to look at grocery store shelves or what not, and no sudden changes in direction.  Oh, and no unnecessary head movement during housework or conversations or whatever.   Don't know if these things will help you, but they've made a big difference for me for the past 30 years.  Maybe 35.  At any rate, I've been doing them so long I don't even notice them.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.

• anneb1149
    anneb1149 Member Posts: 821
    edited August 2014

hi everyone

I read this thread daily, but haven't posted much. 

BigD - I have been following your story, and praying along with the others and will continue to do so. 

I believe there is a time to give and a time to receive. I have seen you give again and again on this thread. Now is your time to receive. Please let us have our time of giving. 

I was very happy you felt well enough to give us details. As happy as we were to get to get updates from Janis, there is nothing as good as hearing it "from the horses mouth". 

You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Anne

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2014

BigD/Joan so good to hear from you.  I admire you so much for what you have been through, and  yet you are planning to get back to work.  My husband always tells  me when I have something worrying me of a medical nature - don't borrow trouble.  Deal with what you need to in this moment, and don't speculate or worry until you have solid evidence.  That advice somehow has given me strength throughout this whole journey.  An area on the colon could be nothing serious,  and diverticulitis isn't always painful.  No occult blood just lately is very hopeful too.  Nonetheless, we are here, holding your hands, praying for you and feeling all of it with you.  Holding you in the gentlest of arms, GiGi

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2014

BigD/Joan I read your post with relief that you are well enough to come to the boards, and I was overwhelmed by your courage and determination.  You are truly an inspiration, and I know that your strength and positive nature will take you to good health again.  Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited August 2014

BigD/Joan, you are an amazing woman! Most would have crumbled with all you have been through and be lying somewhere in a fetal position with drool coming out on our selves, but not you! You are talking about going back to work soon. Amazing...yes you my friend!

As for that spot on your colon, it really could be anything. As Gigil said, don't worry about this right now. Deal with one thing at a time. As for hogging the board, we have been waiting for you to post and I was so happy to see it...every single word! We care about you and want you to know that. We are so happy that Janis was able to share your progress with us or we would have all been insane with worry by now! Please take good care of yourself and rest as much as possible! xoxoxoxox

Thanks everyone for the posts about my good news mammo! It is such a relief to see the words
    "normal - no areas of concern noted" on that piece of paper!

Still sweating what is going on with hubby but will not know anything until at least the 18th..ugh!

Am cooking up a storm today and I am pooped! The aromasin really is killing my poor body. I am cooking for 70 people tomorrow for my daughter in law's shower/wedding reception at a beautiful park tomorrow. Since they did not have a party after they married in April (at least not a big one for their friends)they are kind of combining it.

I made, oven barbecued chicken, sausage and peppers, pasta with meat sauce, baked beans, meat and cheese platters, potato salad, cauliflower with cheese sauce (my little step grand daughter asked me to make that cause she had it at my house and loved it and said it is the only vegetable besides corn that she likes...lol) so am pretty much cooked out at this point!  Only thing left to do is boil the pasta in the morning (12 lbs!) and then bring it to the park. They rented a covered pavilion. We decided not to grill cause then someone has to man it all day and we decided this would be easier (yeah, on them!) on everyone. I thought I was going to have some help from my DIL's mother, but she is just doing desserts. WTH???? Anyway, live and learn. Next time, caterers! LOL

Love to all xoxoxox Need to put my feet up!

• josie123
    edited August 2014

AWW April, sounds like your going to sleep well tonight.Hope the party goes well.Sounds like delicious food.Can I come and crash the party? LOL just kidding!!

Sounds like my big evening work be babysitting my BIL my MIL just called.She forgot to ask us till the last minute.She forgets a lot.Sometimes I worry about her.

Oh well there goes my happy hour .I was going to ask my DH out for a drink.DH was supposed to be off today.Instead he calls his sister first thing this morning and tells her to call him if she needs him.Guess what he worked all afternoon Grrrr......

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited August 2014

What a nice MIL you are April. Yum all that food! Thank goodness I've never had to do that or the guests would be lined up at the ER to have their stomachs pumped! Seriously hate to cook. DH is a fabulous cook. SILs are so jealous. Ditto sister. He makes things from scratch. Ugh- no way I'm doing that. Hope the desserts are as good! 

Bummer Josie. Would have been nice. I know you were looking forward to it. DH and I have date night usually Friday nights. Btw DH is the handyman in the family so he gets calls from family members too. Not as often now but used to be all the time. Got really old. 

Thursday is youngest son's 25th birthday. Tradition is we take him to dinner wherever he wants to go but there is a GFF in the picture now. Long story - don't really like her for myriad of reasons. Very insecure and jealous and complains non-stop. Other GFFs had issues but nothing like this one. Showing restraint so far but she's pushing it. 

Diane 

• gigil
    edited August 2014

My granddaughter and I.  We took this pic to see how much she has passed me up in the height department.  We have had a wonderful time doing back to school shopping and lunching and watching movies.  We have the best time together.  

• princessrn
    princessrn Member Posts: 270
    edited August 2014

Gigi...that's so great!!!

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Lucky you Gigi- great pic! Mine lives 5 hours from us so don't get to see her often enough and now she's off to college!

Diane 

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Gigil, great pic!! I didn't recognize you with the glasses on.

• gigil
    edited August 2014

Diane, these high school days go by too fast, don't they?  Josie, those are my readers.  I was working at my computer when we decided to get a pic of her passing grandma by.  That growth happened this summer!  Princessrn, I really treasure these times.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited August 2014

Hi Ladies....I have missed everything...sorry. My BT arrived and his little dog and have been getting out more. Plus have had a ton of Dr tests etc. Doing ok. Really need to go back about 10 pages here and see what is happening with everyone. I am sure I have missed birthdays etc but have 1 shout out to Big D. Last I remember she was going under for a surgery. I hope all went well.

Going back later today to catch up on all the doings. Very dizzy today from some new meds....ugh. Love you all.Happy

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Bunkie, glad to hear your ok.We figured you've been busy.How are the allergies to the dog? If I remember correctly they had you in PT or something to help with the dizziness.

Glad to hear you've been feeling ok and venturing out more.

• BigDBeatingBigC
    BigDBeatingBigC Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2014

Hello my friends:  Love reading all your notes.  The last 24 hours were pure hell.  I had the Zometa infusion Friday on my left arm and on Saturday, I could hardly make it to the bathroom when I needed to.  My legs were giving out constantly and even my arms would not respond at times.  I nearly called 911 a couple of times but held off.  All I could think of was money and how I would get to and from the hospital.  Was running a fever of 103 and it is down to 100 today.  I had some friends come by and do grocery shopping for me.  My Revlimid was not available at the pharmacy and they apologized and said they would deliver them to me on Monday.  I am very very weak today still but better.  I don't think I can make it to work tomorrow, so that will not be good.

You all are right, I am going to try not to worry too much about having a third cancer until I get that dx.  I just lean on you all here for support.  You mean the world to me.  I cannot write much today, but wanted to check in  I am so hoping my next infusion will not be like this one.  I had horrible pain on my left side, ribs, back, shoulder, no pain anywhere else.  It is easing a bit today.  Love the picture of you and your beautiful granddaughter, GiGiL.  Bunkie, good to hear from you as well.  Take care my lovely ladies.

BigD/Joan

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited August 2014

BigD,  Happy to hear that you are feeling a little better today.  Some of these drugs and tests can really throw you for a loop!I I had colon cancer 20 years ago and had major surgery to have it removed.  I was in the hospital for 34 days following that surgery and another 22 days following the ostomy reversal.  Can you imagine doing that today!!!  My DH had a small colon tumor a few years ago and it was done as an outpatient!  IF, you would need surgery...it is doable!!!!  Just feel better soon!! Hope the infusions get easier.

GigiL, your GD is lovely, as is her grandmother!

Alice, how was the party?  Your menu sounded delicious!  I'm hungry just thinking about it...

Take care, ladies!

Ohio

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2014

Haven't posted for a week or so, but just finished catching up.

Big D---I am so glad that you are posting, but saddened that your first Zometa has hit you so hard. I pray that the first is the worst. and once your body knows whats coming, it will adjust.  You take it easy and only post when you feel like it.  Our love and support and prayers are never ending.  I agree with what Anne said---you have been a giver ever since I was diagnosed, and now you get to receive.  ThumbsUp  You were one of the first to encourage me about everything....

I am going to try and get to 7:00 a.m mass and light every candle for you.  If the church burns, we won't say a word.......but that would surely get some attention from Above, don't you think?  HA.

I have started going to a physical therapist who is part of a STAR program (Survivorship Training and Rehabilitation).   I discovered I couldn't lift my left arm over my head and I had a lot of pain from the armpit radiating across the top of the surgical breast.

She has me pretty sore after just an assessment and an hour of stretching on Friday.  See her at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow.....

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited August 2014

Big D/Joan- So good to see you posting! I am so sorry that you are feeling so horrible but hopefully tomorrow will be better. Your posting and strength is a great reminder for all to not sweat the small things. Please don't go to the dark side with your thoughts, I know its hard we all do it but don't! Wait. You have enough to deal with right now, don't think of anything else but recovering from all you have recently been though. Lots of prayers coming to you from Ohio.

April, glad the mammo was good!! Hope the party went well and you are now resting.

Gigi- I love the picture, you are both beautiful and look so happy.

I am leaving in 6 days for Chicago so I am starting to freak out a little.. as I always do when I have to leave my family. I will come home on the 24th a bit early to have surgery on the 26th. I am looking forward to some fixes. I haven't been posting a lot but I have been reading as I always do. much love to you all XO

Bunkie nice to see you posting also. Glad your BT arrived :)

• rmlulu
    edited August 2014

Hi Y'all

BigD/Joan - good to read your post:) yeah, Zometa packs a punch :( hope you are feeling better soon...for me that 'crap' passed after a long 12 hours...I know you want to get back to work tomorrow and maybe you will surprise yourself and be able to go in late and work 4-6 hours or not...just listen to your body. Sending calm confident thoughts&prayers...besides Red lite a forest fire up north...hee hee you know those Canadians!

Lemon - ha, work trips so hard to leave family and the extra workload of being out of town.  Breathe, trusting it all comes together and you stay focus on what you need to do and rest when you can.  How amazing are you taking on all this prior to your next touch up...sending prayers!

Bunkie - yippee! Good to hear from you:). Fingers&toes crossed for all your test results and enjoy BT!

April - whoa! The chef! I'm overwhelmed by your culinary abilities...what a gift of love :D hope it was well received..no leftovers:D

Red - funny how PT sometimes makes it worst before better.  Hang in there it does improve...set your alarm clock no excuse!

GiGil - sweet pic :))) you are both beaming...love it! Oh the joys of grand kiddos:D

Josie - no date :) but glad you are always so open to taking such good care of BIL! Sneak into the pantry and pour yourself a drink and sip it under the full moon tonight...and howl! Cheers:))) 

Diane - good for you restraint...he will figure it out...enjoy the Bday dinner.

Anne - glad you are here and just not lurking!

I've got a sick pup...he's been teething on an oak tree, eating dirt & grass...dirty mouth...but oh my such an upset tummy...resting now...I hope he's done...and we had such a good playtime at puppy kindergarten...he played really hard with GiGi a poodle just his size and age...cried when we parted...funny. Steaming the floors before my guest come back from family dinner...puppy's are a good excuse to be quite and zone.

Shout out to all

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited August 2014

BigD, how awful that the Zometa knocked you out like that.  I've heard the first is by far the worst, so let's hope for that, and for a quicker recovery tomorrow than you suspect.  But as Cindy says, you need to do what your body is telling you.  I hate it that you held back from going to the ER over money.  An emergency is an emergency.  No fair.

Bunkie, so great to hear from you and I'm glad you're enjoying your BT's visit.  I hope the vertigo eases up soon and the tests finally paint a clear picture.

Cindy I hope your puppy feels better soon!

Lemon, that's a really long time to be away from home.  I'm sure you can do it, but I don't wonder you're getting butterflies.  I would be telling myself to take one day at a time--easier said than done.

My daughter and I got back from our Ohio college trip last night.  It was successful in that she liked both schools, could see herself at either one, and has a slight preference for one (Oberlin).  It was also arduous, but I'm proud of myself for facing a kind of travel that intimidates me.  Flying into a strange airport, renting a strange car, driving on strange roads, with (on Wednesday) very heavy rain for a while, and (on the interstate) a really alarming number of speeding trucks--not my idea of fun.  But the rest of the trip was good and I'm grateful that I was able to do this with her.

• josie123
    edited August 2014

Cindy, so sorry puppy is sick.If he's vomiting you might want to start a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice.If diarrhea starts it may not be just the yucky things he ate.The Veterinary rule of thumb(remember I was a Vet tech-used to be) is that if they are vomiting take up all food and water for like 12 hours.He's a little guy and will quickly get dehydrated.You can tell by pulling up the loose skin on the back of his neck.This doesn't hurt him .

Sorry I know you didn't ask for advice.I can't help it.

Joan Big D,sorry your so sick this weekend.Boy that Zometa really kicks your butt huh?Sounds like your turning the corner though.I will pray for you like I always do.

Run free, glad to hear you had a good trip.And came home safely.I've been to Ohio my sister lived there (Wooster) Its within driving distance for us.But we didn't drive straight through..

• anneb1149
    anneb1149 Member Posts: 821
    edited August 2014

hi everyone

Red- you described my pain exactly. My problem in getting help is paperwork. I have found a therapist here in Fl. But they can't seem to get the paperwork through my insurance. I have such a tough time a bra that works. Right now, I am wearing a sports bra with a post- mastectomy bra over it to get the support I need. I am so tired of being uncomfortable all day, every day. 

I know there are others here that are in genuine pain, and dealing with much more serious issues, so I don't want to sound like a whiner, but I have been to 3 specialty stores and untold local stores and can not find one comfortable bra. Red just confirmed that I am not alone.

Venting done, thanks. 

Anne

• edwards750
    edited August 2014

Boy I am such a wimp compared to you guys. Never had the issues, treatments or side effects some of you have had and are having so I can just say I admire your endless courage. 

Joan - I will light a candle too like Redhead. If I burn down our new church I will be excommunicated. 

That is almost criminal to have to avoid the ER because of $ but how many emergency clinics are open all night? I went to the ER years ago thinking I was having a heart attack- it was acid reflux but that DX was made 2500 later. OMG the sticker prices for tests is ridiculous. My stress test was pricey too. 

Cindy - DH and I have a new puppy too. DS's dog had 4 puppies - lab/pit bull mix. They are precious but wow I forgot how exhausting they can be. He has learned how to use the doggie door in just 2 days which is amazing. Still learning about where to go and have to constantly watch him because of the chewing but we already love him. Hoping son can find owners for at least 1 other puppy. Love dogs - always had them. They love you no matter what! Hope your's feels better soon. People look at us like we are crazy starting over with a puppy at our age but hey we are giving him a good home- that's what counts. We had a dog who got sick from eating heaven knows what in the backyard. The vet said to do exactly what Josie suggested. 

Thanks for the encouragement about son's GFF. Have not quite mastered tact yet. 

Lemon- enjoy your trip. Getting away b4 surgery is a good idea. 

RunFree- you are the Mom! Trying to maneuver in a strange place is hard but you did it. Now you have that lasting memory. 

Bunkie- vertigo is tough to deal with. Had it once but it went away. Strange. 

Josie - hope you get good news from the employment agency and you can be put out of your misery with your job. 

Diane 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014

BigD/Joan, hours and hours on the verge of 911'ing sure aren't fun.  I'm hoping you've bounced back and are feeling lots better.  Maybe by now you're really going stir crazy? .Maybe you felt well enough to go to work this morning, but unless you're truly stir crazy,  I'd love to see you gift yourself some extra loungearound time.  You've been through the wringer, and it's perfectly OK to feel and act wrung out. 

So, RunFree, does this complete the college odyssey?  Or is there more travel and travail to come?  Here's hoping a couple of clear winners have risen to the top of the heap, and that both you and your daughter identify the same ones.  Between the college jaunts and your committee and your life in general, are you able to work in any real summer vacation?

Cindy, there's just nothing like a puppy and it sure seems you are enjoying every single minute getting to know him. 

Gigil, your teenager is gorgeous.  And tall,  I remember when my first son was suddenly taller than I was.  It just seemed the earth had stopped.  Somehow, I was not prepared for the fact that they really do grow up.