Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2012

Thank you truebff, and great ad vice too. I so much appreciate your support. I am feeling better, and I am hoping to go home tomorrow

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Thank you so much Ceeztheday,Ptdreamers,Stephn, and Joan 811. I can't ev en express how much the support means to me. I just saw my doctor, and she said maybe I can go home tomorrow, but she will make the final decision tomorrow.

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Ha ve you seen how much support I ha ve re cei ved? OMG      it means  the world to  me to ha ve su ch supporti ve sisters. Thank youMerilee,Sab ,G igil,Mostlysew,C eeztheday, and Joan811.Merilee I am so looking  forward to  being ba  ck in  my  own b ed, and I hope it's tomorrow. Mostlysew I am so glad you reminded us that           you are in Maui so that  I  can wish that you ha vea wonderful time. Please post again to let us know all the fun things you are doing. ENJOY! Alao, juat to let you know the hospital food is not b ad. I am a b le to lea ve  my floor. If I don't like dinner, the  cafeteris has a   very g ood tasting salmon burg er with fries.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2012

Kate I am praying things go well so you can be home tomorrow and begin to heal. I can't believe all you have been through.

Mostlysew can I just say I am jealous. lol I hope your having a wonderful time. I still have no hair growing under the arm on the Rads side.... Never really noticed a difference on my legs.

Elizabeth,ptdreamers,Steph, Merilee, Janis and Kate you have no idea how much your kind words mean to me. Thank you so much. Sometimes it gets a little rough but you are always there to help me through. I went to my surgeon today. I have my gallbladder surgery Next Friday the 24 at 9;30. I have to admit I am not looking forward to it but really can't live with the attacks and pain... I am taking everyone for moral support...   ;)  Happy Valentine Day!!! 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2012

Hi irw333,

I'll go with you to the surgery. Those gowns have great big pockets, and we can all come along and help. Kind of like what Kate's feeling with all the support. I don't at all blame you for not wanting to go thru another surgery, but I'm certain you'll find such immediate relief from the pain, and you'll no longer have to wonder when the next attack might hit. That, I'm hoping, will relieve some of the stress you're under and make the surgery worth it. Hopefully they're doing the minimally invasive laparoscopy surgery so you won't have to worry about healing another incision. Keep your chin up, and keep us up to date with your progress......we're rooting for you....

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

IIrw how nice   it is of you  to b  e  c oncerned about me when you are ill. Your support means so muc h to me. I  am so sorry that you require  g  all  bladder surgery, and I  pray e   erything goes well. Hugs and more Hugs!!!

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

IRW333, Definitely have the laproscopic if offered. Much easier to heal. Just remember no heavy lifting after for about six weeks. Good luck

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2012

GigiL:  Tape on radiated skin....OUCH.  I can relate to the itchy part.  I have a reaction to adhesive tapes and get very bad rashes.  They have noted my medical chart of this allergy.  It was bad after my surgery.  The surgistips were ok but got very bad rash from the electrodes they put on me to monitor my heart.  Also, could not have surgical bandage on it.  I used nursing pads inside my sports bra as the bandage.

MostlySew:  I'm looking forward to loosing the last of my 20 hairs on both legs.  Seriously, that's all I have on my legs and even less under my arms.  So if you lose hair on legs and under arms from this treatment, HooRay....no more shaving.....not that I have too.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2012

Hey sistas,

I have been sick with a bad cold but read daily and try to keep up.  Kate.....I hope you get out tomorrow and your doctor said you might.  I think recovering at home is so much easier!  Thinking of you and sending healing hugs your way.  Feel good!

Irw......I know you are dreading the surgery, but once it is over you will feel so much better.  I had my gall bladder out about 20 years ago, had to have it the old fashioned way, big incision.  It happened right before my son's birthday.....I was admitted through the ER.  I wanted so badly to be home for his 12th birthday that I was only in the hospital a few days.  Both the doctors and the nurses were amazed I got out so soon, but I was real motivated!  If they do it with the laproscopic, you will have an easy recovery.  My sister had hers done that way last summer and never even took a pain pill.  She recovered very quickly and only took two weeks off work.  I hope it is as easy for you.

MostlySew....I am so happy you are having such a great vacation!  Enjoy it all, breathe in all of the wonderful surroundings!  I have never been there and never will be.  My son and DIL have been there several times and I have seen some amazing photos.  Enjoy every second!!

I have no hair at all under the radiated pit.  I never had much body hair to begin with.  My legs are very sparse and it cracks me up when I occasionally find a real long rogue hair.....like over an inch long.  I very rarely ever shave my legs, especially in winter.

Wishing everyone a Happy valentine's Day.  Hope everyone is able to enjoy it!

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Janis, thank you. I am sorry  a bout your cold and I hope you feel  better soon.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2012

Irw333, I will be praying for you and sending good wishes that your gall bladder surgery will go well.  I hope you will have a pain free and speedy recovery.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited February 2012

Irw333- Leave some room for me in your pocket.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2012

Irw hoping your surgery goes well and you recover quickly. My 84 year old father had a laporascopic gallbladder surgery last summer. He healed pretty quickly, although his gallbladder was seriously infected. Hopefully you will do much better than that.

Kate, I hope you keep healing. Good to see you chiming in.

MostlySew I wonder if the pants legs rub off the hair. That happens to men. No hair in the radiated pit for me either, but the legs grow well.

Janis, hope you didn't catch my cold! First one since rads? I was so worried to catch the first one, but it didn't last long. I did get sore ribs on rads side however.

Happy Valentines Day ladies. I received an edible arrangement and pink roses today. Lovely!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2012
    lrw, I had the lap surgery in 2004.  I was in the hospital for 6 days with no food or drink, just IVs.  My pancreas was inflamed.  Anyway, I was so glad to have the surgery finally and go home.  The day after I got home I was out shopping for a short time.  No pain for me.  I can only wish that you have a painless and fast recovery.  
    Kate, waiting to hear your go-home-cheers!
    Joan
  • katehudson25
    edited February 2012

II     ha ve     3        do ctors. Two of them are      not talking a bout g o i ng     home today. I will ha Tveto wait for my   3rd doc tor,  but it looks like I  am  not going home today. I amdisappointed.hank you G igi l          and Joan I   wish       I had b etter  news to tell you. This is my 8th day in the hospital ugh.

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Kate I am sorry you may not go home today.  I know how frustrated you must be.  A serious infection is nothing to mess with.  So it is likely in your best interest to stay until all doctors agree it is safe for you to go home.  Try to stay positive and keep us posted.  We're hanging with you....have you seen us scuttering around the room at night when we sneak out of your pocket?  You have lots of support!

I got bit by a dog once and had to be on IV antibiotics for over a month!  I only had to stay in the hospital five days, then had nurses come in to my home to show me how to infuse the IV's.  They came every day I think to flush the lines out.  It was a long healing process but I finally recovered.

GiGiL...Yes, it must have been your cold I caught!  Germs came right through the keyboard!  I am feeling better but the meds make me groggy.  I just got up a couple of hours ago and I am already sleepy. 

Nobody is alone here.  Kate, IRW........anyone else fgoing through procedures...we'll be in your pockets. The sistas stick together!

Love and hugs to all!

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Thank you janis. I   hope your  cold is   b etter. I do ha ve  a pi cc  line   to  g et i vantibi oti  csat home,  bu t my       doc tors still want m e to g  et i vanti biotics.t                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

II meant to   say my  do ctors still want m e to   g et i vantib iot icsat t he  hospital.Sorry  ab o ut all  the typo's I am still ha ving prob lems with the hospital keyb o ard.

• gigil
    edited February 2012

Kate, my younger sis had  a wound infection from a surgery she had to remove uterine cancer.  She had to be on a wound pump for over a month.  My mom is a nurse, and she was able to take care of her at home, thankfully.  Do you have some sort of pump going on too.  They have to take such close care of all of that to make sure things are clean and clear every day.  You will get to the end of it.  You are in some very good hands, I can tell.  Will they let you get a breath of fresh air now and again?  That would maybe help so much.  If you are in there very much longer, is there a way we can send you a little something to help pass the time?  Let me know what you might need, and I can surely send you something.  GiGi

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Gigi l  my gosh you are so  incredib ly nice. I ha ve a pic c  line pla ced to get iv when I go home. I will also ha ve a nurse  come to my home e ery day to administer the iv antib i otics. y  do ctors                       don't think I am ready to go home yet. I don't know how much longer it will b e.My do ctors  are taking a day to day approa ch. G etting some sunshine is a good idea. I am aLLOwe d off the floor to go  to the  cafeteria. I will ask my doc tor if I can go out on the patio to get sunshine. Thanks for rec ommending it. It is so incredib ly nice of you to offer to send something.  am ok for now, b u t if I am here a long time I would lov e to get a c ard. I am in St. John's hospital in Santa Monica, Ca. b utI don't know the address of the hospital.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2012

You all are so kind and supportive. Thank you so much. I have plenty of room for everyone.. Nothing would comfort me more then to have you all with me... I am having the laprascopic surgery. Still just dread it so much...

Good Grief Kate. Still sending healing prayers your way. If you like I am sure some of us could call you or send a card. Can you give us a room number etc. Only if you want... Just trying to help you pass the time... We can get the address online I think... I hope I am not out of line. We are such a tight group and we truly care what happens to each other...

Janis you sound so bad. Sorry I missed your call. Please take care of yourself...Feel better soon.

Hugs and Prayers to everyone.....

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Thank you irw. I   ha ve the feeling         I wo n't  be  here     too            mu ch           lon g er,  but I       am not   sure. If I am  goig to  be here long er then F riday I will let you know. I am sending positi ve         vibesforyour surg ery         on the 24th.I know e verythig will  go well. Hugs! Don't  be sc ared all of us s isters will  be there to hold your hand.

• gigil
    edited February 2012

Good luck with your surgery Irw.  Kate if you end up staying longer than Friday be sure to let us know how to reach you, so we can send some greetings.  Hopefully you will be going home, but if not, it is time for some extra healing energy by way of your friends.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited February 2012

Kate- ((((Hugs))))

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2012

Hi all,
    I am thinking of you Kate - so glad you can keep in touch.  In 2004 I was in the hospital for six days before my gall bladder surgery ( I guess I said that before) -- on the way to the hospital, I stopped at Best Buy and bought a lap top!! so I could stay in touch with family and friends.  It was my life line.
    lrw - I guess you must be feeling "enough is enough" but the best part of gall bladder surgery is the end of the pain and discomfort.  Try to hang in there....soon the surgery will be behind you.
    I just want to tell you that the friends we make here on BCO are real....these are the people who understand and will listen forever.....Today I met with a dear sister I met here on the discussion board.  It was our first meeting - we talked non-stop and were able to share our experiences and concerns. 
    We are not alone as long as we hang together.
    Have a good night,
    Joan

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2012

God Bless You, Kate and IR, Prayers are with you.

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Thank you so much G igil, Ceeztheday,Joan, and True bff. Your support means the worldto me.

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    edited February 2012

Kate, hope you are better and can go home soon.  Smile 

Joan811, Just catching up with posts, can you tell me more about rems of radiation and how much it too much?  After rads, they x-rayed me more on the neck and shoulder, and no doctors seem to be concerned about too much radiation.  What is your take on too much rads?  Is there a website that I can go to for more info on the subject? 

• katehudson25
    edited February 2012

Thank you stag e 1. My do ctors ha ve dec ided on surgery. I am hA VING SURGERY TOMORROw to remo ve the infected implant. Then I will require moresurgery in a month or se veral months to put an implant b a ck. I willmost likely go home Sat. Sun or Mon depending on how much pain I ha ve.

• justmejanis
    edited February 2012

Kate hoping you are out soon.  I had a pic line as well, for a month.  Not too bad, the nurses came to my house and flushed the line every couple of days as it kept getting clogged.  Otherwise no problems infusting myself at home.

I just came home from seeing my RO.  He is sticking with his theory that I have neuropathic issues and that is causing the pain and swelling.  I already take Gabapentin...300 mg. 3 x a day.  He doubled the dose, and told me to keep taking the Trental as it takes months sometimes  to begin working.  He also said to postpone my PT massage therapy.  He said the breast is far too tender and the therapy would be very painful.  I go back to see him in one month and then he will decide if the PT is even required.  He said that massage therapy on the breast alone can be difficult and is not always effective.  This is all so confusing to me, but plan to follow his orders.  I hope this works!

Stage1.....Look through the index here and I bet you will find the answers you need.  If not you can try good old Google.  I hope you find what you are looking for.  Much luck to you.

Joan you are absolutely right.....our friendships are very real!  I know how much i have come to care for you all sdeeply.  You truly are my sistas!

Irw.....I am so sorry for you pain.  I think you will find you feel much better after your surgery.  It will all get better, promise!

Hugs to all!