Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2014

Diane I am happy you had such a good day, despite all the running around.  I am impressed you went out and braved the crowds yesterday.  You are indeed brave. 

I bet you are excited about the new car.  Heated seats will be fantastic in the winter, how fun!  Enjoy that first ride. 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2014

I love my 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS. It is a little hatchback that gets great mileage. It is sooo cute. I got red. What color did you get Diane?

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2014

Thanks for the birthday wishes. it is nice to hear about TG plans. I loved the long week end and on Saturday I did nothing but spend time with my son.

Back to work Monday.

In your pocket, Cindy.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2014

Celebrating! Mammo good...2yr cancerversary soon! Just finished walk...a challenge with these 2!

Waiting for hubby's testing...ugh...waiting

Counting my blessings ...xo

Cindy

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2014

What a great photo Cindy!!!!! 2 years - FANTASTIC, so very happy for you.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2014

Cindy, great pic!!Thanks for sharing. Is that your GS? Fingers crossed here for your DH.

Congrats on you 2 year cancerversaryand good Mammo!!

Today we woke up to an ice storm. The kids school cancelled but I still had to make it to work. Well I made it safely considering. Lots of cars in the ditch all the way to work. One lady must of been airborne and landed in the ditch about 100 yards off the roadway her SUV on its side. But she was just standing on the side of the road talking to the cops. Very lucky lady. Couldn't tell you how she climbed up the hill. Everything was a sheet of ice. I got to work and that young girl I work with had never been trained on the phones so it was just me and her. The receptionist was like an hour or two late stuck on the highway in traffic. I did the best I could but forgot a lot from when I had been up there before. My notes didn't help so I just winged it. Well my big boss herself told me what a good job I did. I guess I did ok not everyone gets a compliment like that from her.I had like 3 lines ringing at 1time. I took down people's # and called them back to reschedule. The receptionist didn't seem thrilled that I had like 10 sticky notes surrounding me but that's ok it's the fact that I did it and survived and handled it.

Still getting over my virus so just clearing all that junk out of my chest and sinuses. My cough sounds horrendous. But can't help it.I try not to cough as much as I can. Lots of loose stuff down there. Maybe I should try some Mucinex. I was feeling terrible till Sat evening then finally stopped aching. My nose cleared up too. So weird.

• rmlulu
    edited December 2014

Josie - wow, what a day, ice storm and office chaos...but you did good and it was noticed and complemented on your can do attitude...well done :)))

Yes, that is my GS...was 8 weeks premie and is still very small for his 31/2,yrs. Pup weighs at least 2X GS...the pup pulled the BOB & GS held the leash...it was a long walk, but without incident :)))

Enjoying calm quite house...:))) but I do love the hoopla

Hope you are feeling better soon and get rid of that virus...sending warm weather!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2014

Cindy, we are all waiting with you. Thanks for posting the pic, and congrats on 2 yrs.

Josie, it's great that you just jumped in to help and I'm sure you did a great job. Nice to be noticed, eh?

Joan, that sounds like a great day--just time with your boy.

Feeling grateful for my family, friends and all of you. We met our family halfway between southern and northern CA this year--a place called Lake Nacimiento. Remote, but very pretty even with low lake levels. We actually hit bottom while out on a boat...pretty sobering reminder of the drought. Happy to say that it was raining hard on the day we left there, and I hope it is raining still!

In training this all this week, and today I was fighting off the yawns. Tomorrow, a nice strong thermos of coffee to go.

• april485
    edited December 2014

((((Cindy and hubby))))   Waiting with you chica xoxo

Josie, great job!

Sab, hoping that drought ends soon. CA sure does have its share of weather extremes!

Today is hubby's full body CT scan to finally try and figure out what the heck is going on with him. I took the day off in case....well, you know. I don't want him to be alone in case he gets bad or scary news. Going with him. He has to be there at 10:15 for and 11 am scan and then his doctor appointment is at 1PM to go over results. Gonna be a very very long day I suspect. It is about a 45 minute ride. But, Yale's Smilow cancer center is the best we have here in CT and this clinic is affiliated with them and that is where I have all my care. (NCI center, only one in CT)  I am confident that if anything is discovered, he will receive the best of care. So nervous though!!

Love to all and will keep you posted.

PS I HATE this disease! Seems we all have loved ones affected too lately. Praying that is not the case for hubby but that they find some type of ulcer or something they did not see...they cause anemia too, right?  sigh....

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2014

Great photo, Cindy.  Pup and GS are handsome as all get out.  You too!  And you are so clearly happy to be with the two of them.  Hooray on the two-year result!  Mine is coming up in two weeks.  Alternating confidence and nerves.  I'm actually counting the days and can't wait for it to be over.

So, Josie, here you were, all confused, piles of sticky notes, and paddling away in the deep end.  And receiving praise.  Some change from the other place, huh?  So glad you've landed in a good spot.  Do you have a notebook where you can organize the answers to all those stickies?  The new info will sink in soon enough, but,meanwhile, it's good to have your own resource right at your fingertips.  And you are so brave to go in during an ice storm!  That young'un may be a bit of a fly in the ointment, but she ain't got nothin' on your previous tormentor

Nice to hear from you, SAB.  I also yawn during lengthy presentations  Only cure for me is the Q &A, which, hopefully, comes quickly, quickly, quickly. 

Thinking of all you strong, silent types (you know who you are).

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

Josie good for you holding down the fort.  It sounds like you did an excellent job and shows you can take charge and multitask.  I am glad the big boss recognized what a good job you did.  Yuck on the ice storm.  We had freezing rain last night and news says black ice this morning.  I'm staying in.

Cindy loved the picture of all of you.  You are so lucky to have beautiful grandson so close.  I bet he loves that gorgeous dog.  I am keeping you and DH in my thoughts and hope the test results are all good.  Hugs to you Sweetie.

SAB it sounds like you found the perfect place for your Thanksgiving.  I know how hard the drought has hit CA.  I lived in the area much of my young life.  It still hurts to see photos of Lake Tahoe, vastly different from the lake I splashed in all my teen years.  I remember camping and fishing all around Lake Shasta too.  Good memories.  I am glad it worked out and you had your family to celebrate with.  Good luck with training this week.  :)

April what a long day for you and your husband today.  I am in your pocket just so you know you aren't alone.  I am restless, so don't worry about all the squirming.  I hope with all my heart they find nothing serious.  Sending all kinds of positive energy and hugs to you both.  Please update when you can.  A lot of people here will be looking for news. 

• april485
    edited December 2014

ok, so he had his scan and then I find out his actual appointment to go over the results is not today, it is TOMORROW! ugh..very upset cause I wanted to be there in case of a problem. Well, we get home around 1PM and at 1:20, the phone rings and it is the doctor. He tells my husband that he has some "inflammation" around his lungs and he ordered a strong 7 day course of antibiotics (Levaquin)  and still wants to see him tomorrow. Scan results are still not up on his electronic chart (they lag behind until they see the doctor on all but blood tests I guess) so he will hear more about this so called inflammation tomorrow. I am still very worried as this answers nothing about why he lost 40 lbs since May and why he is so anemic. I am so confused and frustrated! UGH!

Guess we shall see...anything in the lungs scares me. He was a smoker (on and off) for about 25 years (he quit again last year thank goodness) and so I worry about well...everything!

Guess I will find out more tomorrow or maybe not. Hubby thinks doctor is still puzzled. ARGHHHHH! Bawling

• rmlulu
    edited December 2014

Thanks y'all are great! Pocket party continues xo

Hubby's MRI is tomorrow and follow up is ....12/24! Yes, crazy they said they would call if problem...excuse me a problem...he does see another Dr Thursday who chewed his urologist so we may get a sneak peek...how long can you hold your breath ugh. Will get chest results Thursday, next week infusion results, ugh the waits...

(((April))) praying for answers soon! Not guesses but real answers with a game plan for hubby. How's your dad & GD? Hang in there...the wait could make you light up...grr

BigD - thinking of you...hope your cousin moves in and you can have one less thing on your plate...keep pushing!

SAB - CA is so dry it's so sad:((( rain today but we need so much...and where it will stay...snow in the sierras is a must! Enjoy family time:) hee hee training week zzzz

Brookside - yippee! 2 yr cancerversary gosh remembering the suspence around the holidays, but still hold my breath when I go in for tests! Best Wishes to you!

Josie - hope you are feeling better:)

GiGil & Joan - imagine you are resting after big family Turkey blow out:D. Lucky GKs!

Sure enjoyed my GS...their schedules are tight...hoping they come back out this way for a few days and use condo I reserve for family over the holidays...introduced my dad to pickle fall...whomped him, but I think he&wife (rated4 tennis players) will kill me next round at Christmas. Hoping I can find pick up games here.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

April how disappointing you have to wait even longer!  I am so sorry.  The inflammation doesn't sound terrible especially since they are thinking it will respond to antibiotics.  My mom used to get pleurisy and I think strong antibiotics would knock it out.  The weight loss and anemia may be explained tomorrow, I sure hope so.  I know it is frustrating but not all tests can instantly diagnose a problem.  It can rule out a lot fortunately like masses and growths so that is good.  It may just be more hunt and peck until they find some reasonable explanation.  Wishing all good things from the visit tomorrow.  I am waiting with you April!

Cindy how preposterous is it to run a test on Dec 3, an MRI no less, and expect you to wait 21 days for results?  That is totally unreasonable to say the least.  I get my primary care from a low income clinic and I almost always get my MRI results the same day!  My primary is always wonderful about making sure of that.  It does not take long to read an MRI.  Sometimes there are no words!  Why anyone should have to wait for test results is beyond me.  Naturally some results take longer to process but so many tests are nothing more difficult than reading a short report and making a phone call.  Nobody should have to wait that long especially when the problem has been ongoing for any length of time.  Sorry Sweets.  I am in your pocket of course.  Big hugs!

• josie123
    edited December 2014

April,I will say some prayers for your DH. I hope the inflammation is not too serious. Maybe COPD? But still doesn't explain the other symptoms.Keep us posted.

Cindy, fingers crossed for your DH too.Thanks for the kind words.Yes I'm feeling better.

Janis, thanks I was quite proud that the big boss recognized me in front of everybody. It's nice to be appreciated.

Brookside, yes I have a notebook but the notes I was taking from phone messages needed to be shredded when done so I just used the scratch paper and sticky notes. I'm sure it looked chaotic to the o th her receptionist but too bad. She's very sweet but was noticeably disturbed by the messages. I think she thought I was making more work for myself.She thought I should of let the phones just ring and take care of the individual call before moving on. I was actually proud of myself. I can't be responsible how someone else feels.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2014

Thanks Janis. I love the new car. You guys wouldn't believe the hassle we went through but it was worth it. We got silver April with black interior. I saw a red one in the showroom and I liked it but DH didn't plus it was loaded and a lot more $. We owned an Elantra sedan a few years ago and DS drove it. He got 35-40 MPG.  Actually I loved this really pretty blue color but the one they had was going to cost another 3 grand...let me think...no way. The heated seats are so nice. I decided this time I am driving the new ride instead of DH. Good grief he can junk up a car like you would not believe so he is driving our Hyundai Sonata. You can tell we are sold on Hyundais although we did like our Honda Fit. We did get a discount for being a Hyundai owner and a Christmas bonus. Yea! Hope DH gets one too. All these grandchildren to buy for.

I did brave Black Friday Janis but only because the stores were close. I did order yesterday online as well.

That is a great pick Cindy. Our little angels are going to send me to a rubber room at Lakeside which is a mental facility in Memphis. They are precious but one of the labs is beyond defiant. He won't leave the Christmas tree alone. We have tried everything from swatting him and putting him outside but doesn't seem to faze him. The other pup doesn't bother the tree at all. I expected they would chew everything in sight but this little guy is relentless. I even sprayed that bitter apple stuff to discourage him - that didn't work either. I think we all need to go to a training class of some kind.

Congrats on your 2nd year - My 4th year will be in January. Maybe I can relax when I hit Year 5....or will we ever not be basket cases when its time for our annuals...count those blessings one day at a time...

April - sorry you have to play the waiting game...again. Please know you and DH are in our prayers. Keep us posted of course.

Cindy - Ditto what Janis said - 21 days? Seriously? That is just absurd.

Josie - way to go girl. I am such a chicken when it comes to driving on ice I wouldn't have ventured out. I am sure your bosses appreciate you being there. You are already impressing them. We knew you would.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I got my second wind and decorated the inside of the house and bit of the outside. DH is responsible for the lights outside - he will tackle that this weekend. I just love Christmas decorations. Already seen some pretty cool ones. Our neighborhood used to have a contest - we have a homeowners association - but no more unfortunately. We won first place a few times and second place once. You got money and a sign in your yard. Pretty cool. The Town of Collierville usually has a contest too. You get a gift certificate to a local florist and a sign. The town Christmas parade is Friday night. Its one of the really cool things about this town...DS was in it one year with his football team won the championship. He was so pumped!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

Cindy, December 24, for goodness sakes?  I'm sure you will have squeezed the full report out of either the online portal or medical records or his doc's office by the end of this week.  The dark ages this ain't!  I sure hope all goes well, with this test, and the next, and the next.  Poor hubby is going to be busy, busy, busy shuttling between all these docs!

April, I sure hope that mysterious scan shows some wonderfully treatable infection and nada nasty stuff.  I sure hope it gets to the bottom of his problem.  No reason a sneaky infection nobody could quite put a finger on couldn't be the culprit, is there?    I guess you and he must have quit smoking together?  Or was he so impressed with your victory that he followed? I'm amazingly proud of the two of you--so few are successful. 

Good luck with that Christmas tree and the treeaholic pup, Edwards.  I do remember, quite clearly, when my first cat saw his first Christmas tree and joyfully took a running leap from clear across the room.  Tree and cat came right down, kerplunk.  Very disappointed cat, but no more cat-in-tree problem.  Then there came the kids.  One year, the tree sat in the middle of a playpen. 

Much as I used to love it, I don't have a tree anymore.  I finally wised up and lugged a huge tupperware thing (one of several) filled with Christmas tree ornaments to my #2 son's house at Thanksgiving and forced him and the rest of the family to take lots of decorations so I can to see them on their tree.  DIL seemed a bit surprised; everyone else just dug right in.  The other two kids will get their turn at Christmas.  The bin is still in the car, so maybe I'll lug it inside and put some things on window sills and mantels and so forth.

• josie123
    edited December 2014

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2014

Josie, great one....I've had a tree faint but it was caused by two Siamese kittens, the collie dog just looked on......Speaking of cats, Redheaded, your Esmerelda is just beautiful. She looks like my twin Burman/Himalayan cross boys......

Cindy ((())) Waiting that long for results is just way too hard, but I'm hoping his other Dr. appts will actually give you the results. What a difficult time, but Congrats on your 2 years clear. Perfect. Oh, and the "Pup"...he isn't a "pup" anymore....anything that grew to be that big can't possibly be a "pup".....just sayin

April, actually I think finding that lung inflammation might be a good thing. I've now got 2 friends who have ended up with unusual lung issues, both had biopsies, and both ended up being treated with Prednisone; they had some sort of weird "community" pneumonia. I know, that steroid is not a great thing as Bunkie well knows, but it did cure them. So, I'm hopeful for your husband.

Joan....Happy belated birthday. Hope your trip to Boston was wonderful and taking Saturday off to rest seems a great plan.

Gigil.....are you packed yet? Are you going to try to decorate the new house for Christmas? What will you do when you're not living in and out of boxes? Yes...good plan ...find those quilting and sewing supplies. And as for Cole, what a great kid, I love him going to the dance and enjoying himself, he sure can teach those other kids a thing or 2

Edwards....while I supported "small business Saturday" at the local yarn shop, and cyber Monday ordering even more yarn, I sure didn't make a dent in Black Friday as you did with your new car......way to go, girl, it sounds great.

Janis...is the oven heating up for all the C. goodies?

Sab...we've had rain for several days now, feels great. Good to hear you're still playing in your time off

Josie...I am loving the sound of that new job more and more

BidD....keep at your research, I know there are systems out there to help you, they just make it difficult to wade thru. Here's to solving the insurance issues and getting back on your feet..((()))

Oh, and Edwards, I'm right behind you with the C. decorations although all I've done so far is get the C. quilts out and have 1 hung. Guess I should get some more things out

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2014

Haha that cartoon is priceless Josie. I expect that to happen any day but won't be any ornaments on it because Ivan the Terrible keeps taking them, breaking some and burying the others. Good thing they are so cute otherwise...

Diane

• rmlulu
    edited December 2014

Whoa! MRI at 1 pm and Dr called at 5:45 pm...headed to USC in the morning...ugh but impressed.

In the morning, Rush over to show the girl to my RO, drop my pup at doggy daycare/boarding, and than off we go to USC. Breathe...last time hubby was there for 3 mos...complications...I think I own a hotel suit...poor pup...yes, Sew, a pup is not a pup when it weighs in at 60# but he's my 6 mo baby...he watches the mama my shadow.

Keeping y'all close in my pockets...off we go!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2014

Cindy...I'm there with you tomorrow........

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

Not the phone call you were hoping for, Cindy.and hubby.  Sending hugs and prayers and presence.  Maybe the two of you could shrug and snug into Kate's princess warrior coat?  Once again:  Hugs!

• april485
    edited December 2014

My girl Aubrey Emma sends you a morning smile! My son was cooing at her and she began laughing out loud! She is 6 weeks old!! Just wanted to share my angel with you all this morning!

• april485
    edited December 2014

Cindy, you know I am with you my friend. Hugs and hoping everything goes well!

• rmlulu
    edited December 2014

Thanks y'all! Pockets are full :)))

USC called while I was at RO...hubby's INR is too thin so surgery scheduled for next Wed...gives me time to get ready...hate giving lovinox injections...ouch$$$.

April - she is a happy sweetie pie! Keeper:)))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

Happy Cancerversary too all!

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

April I think that is the biggest 6 week old smile I have ever seen!  She is so beautiful!  What a perfect Merry Christmas for everyone.  SillyHeart

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Cindy , praying for your DH.

April, your GD is so cute!!!

Today was moving day at my work. I have never seen an entire practice that includes GI, Internal Med, Dermatology, and OBGYN completely move the practice into anouther location. It was quite the experience. We had exam rooms to set up and everything. Beautiful building. I'm exhausted though. Tommorow will be a easier day I think. We saw patients up until Wedsday and we moved today and tommorow will be mainly restocking things ect. We start seeing patients at the new location Monday.We get to wear blue jeans today and tommorow.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2014

Checking in...thanks for remembering me! I appreciate all the good birthday and holiday wishes.   I want to be here but I just fall asleep - almost when I fall in the door at night.  Today I had a nap from 8:30 to 11:30 and now am wide awake.  I can sleep a little late tomorrow.  I have a workshop at 11. 
    Work is intense at the end of the semester.  In a few weeks it will calm down.
    My department chair, who is a few years younger than I am, has leukemia and is back in the hospital with fever.  There are co-workers in my department dealing with devastating cancers.  Some days it's all too much to take in.  Then there are the little babies that just brighten up the day and bring hope.

April, thanks for the beautiful pic of your gorgeous granddaughter.  What joy!
    Sorry to hear about DH but I hope you are closer to getting a correct dx and treatment. 

SAB, I hope you & DH and the girls are doing well.  What are they up to?  Do you have time for your book?  Are you getting the rain that's been falling in CA?

(((Cindy))) Thinking of you today..hard to find a spot in your pocket lately.  I love the pic and you look great...little one is adorable and big one (the pup) is so cute.  There you are in the midst of such uncertain times and you are still getting out there and exercising and making others feel good.  You are amazing, and our cheerleader for sure.  Hugs and prayers for DH.  And glad for the two years. 

Diane, enjoy the new car!  Heated seats are the best.  I finally got them...I also have a heated steering wheel and I use it all the time when I drive to help soothe the joints that are so tender from the AI drugs. I am jealous of your shopping - I cannot seem to bring myself to get out there. 

Janis, thinking of you...hope it's not too cold there.  Time for baking assembly line...and a delicious-smelling kitchen!

(((Joan))), I do hope your cousin will be able to visit.  It would be good for you to have company for awhile.  You do have some decisions ahead.  I hope you get your answers quickly.  I have been dealing with Social Security and they take weeks to accomplish anything.  I think it is good advice to see if there is an advocate in your area who can help get through the process with you.  Meanwhile how are you feeling?

Josie, I am glad you got through that ice-day at work.  I would have done the same with the notes...it was not a "normal" day and you stepped up.  And moving already!  This seems like an office where you can contribute positively. 

Brookside, congrats on the 2 year milestone from dx. 

Sew, glad you are checking in! 

Bunkie, hope you check in soon.

For anyone going through rads, or finishing treatment, just know that on the other side should be a time of physical recovery -- then the emotional recovery takes a bit longer. 

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2014

Oh my gosh April - I will be smiling ALL DAY after seeing her photo, THANK YOU so much.