Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2014

Thanks Joan your too sweet. I hope you get your meds straightened out. That's stressful.And then the one med makes you feel bad. Have you discussed this with the prescribing doc? Could it be it doesn't work well with one of your other meds?

I miss Kate too.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2014

Sounds like you are really ready for the Christmas/winter/whatever break, Joan.  Please take full advantage.

Josie, if those photos you post show your very own smiling face, yes, you are gorgeous. 

Because of my gallstone event, I've been ignoring my arimidex, and feel so good.  My onc said I should start it again when I was back to normal eating and drinking, and, I fear, since yesterday, I'm pretty normal.  Even lost 10 pounds, which is a true bonus. I hate, hate, hate to start the AI again, but I guess it's time. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2014

Joan.....a family divided by miles is always a challenge I know.  When my parents divorced that put so much pressure on us.  At that time my then DH and I were living in Denver, my parents in CA.  My dad had remarried and moved to San Jose, my mom was a couple hundred miles away in Fresno.  We did not travel for Christmas often. The kids were very young then.  I do not fly and driving that time of year is risky.  Still we made plans to go visit and Cal's parents were in the Los Angeles area.  The hardest part was deciding who to spend which day with, where, etc.  My dad sent us money to help with our travel expenses, he wanted a big family Christmas with her kids and his.  We ended up deciding to go to Fresno and stay until New Year's Eve, do our Christmas there and then San Jose for Christmas, and his parents a couple days later.  What a disaster.  My mom was sill reeling from the divorce and Dad's quick remarriage  She was hurt that we were not spending Christmas with her, of course.  My dad was at cranky that we were going to spend more time with my Mom on 'his money' I believe he put it.  I remember it all worked out but not without a lot of drama and tears and hurt feelings.  I don't think we ever did that again.

I worry about my oldest DS because his situation right now is not good and he is so fragile in many ways.  He will be alone this Christmas, he moved to MN last January in pursuit of a relationship that is not at all a good idea.  It is very complicated, she is married.  So, while she spends the holidays with her family he will be sitting alone on Christmas and I imagine the reality of the situation will smack him head on.  I worry so much as he has been suicidal in the past and I know what a terrible time holidays are.  He is also an alcoholic trying hard to battle that demon.  He suffers from often crippling depression.  Sigh.  I had to share because I know you ladies won't mind.  This has been haunting me for some time.  Sorry to be such a downer  Please send all the positive thoughts/prayers/good vibes.  Whatever works for everyone.  Thank you all.

Joan I went off my statin about four months ago and have yet to tell my new PCP.  I go to a community health clinic for primary care and have always had excellent care there.  While I was on vacation last summer they called to let me know my PCP was no longer there and they were assigning me a new one.  They scheduled an appointment with him late July.  I couldn't really read him and he wasn't even sure why I was there.  I told him the clinic scheduled it and maybe it was simply a 'meet and greet' thing.  He was not amused.  He quickly reviewed my meds, asked if everything was okay and that was that.  I was having problems too Joan, muscle pain and a few other problems.  My sister is an RN and has never commented on my meds, but when my previous PCP increased my statin from 40mg to 80mg she was not pleased.  She told me she hates statins, doctors push them for the drug companies.  We had a long talk and after reading a lot I decided to stop completely.  I did not consult my new PCP.  I got a reminder call last week that I need to come in for my 6 month checkup and  blood work.  Rut Roh.  I have physically been a sloth much of the time and have not been good with my diet.  I fear my numbers will be bad, and then I will have to decide what to do.  My stepson is not a fan of western medicine and is super smart and does lots of homework.  He told me about an herb supplement he takes, and swears by it.  I may ask the PCP about that.  I do remember him mentioning he is not a fan of many prescription drugs.  He told me during this period between appointments he will honor any refill requests from the pharmacy for refills.  Maybe I will end up liking him after all if he supports other approaches to some common problems.

Again, as always, love and hugs to all.

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Brookside, your too sweet.

Rotten day at work. I was sick and They needed me and aside from running to the bathroom a lot didn't feel bad so I stayed. The lady I work with up front gave me some Imodium. So I finally got relief. I almost said enough and asked to leave but I'm stubborn.

Family medical crisis. My father but he doesn't want me to discuss his health on social media so I'll respect that please keep him in your prayers for Friday.He will need it.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2014

Hugs for all of you that are in crisis and for all that are just fine! Love to all!!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2014

Okay I just lost this long post. Dang.

Janis - sorry about  your DS. I can relate. We have the same issues with our youngest son. He drinks too much plain and simple. Not drinking and driving thankfully but still drinks too much. DH used to be an alcoholic some 10+ years ago but I never really realized it. He was a quiet drinker. Anyway he finally got the wake up call before it was too late. Alcoholism runs in my Dh's family which doesn't help. I hope your son keeps in touch with you through the holidays. Its a tough time to be alone or feel alone. I understand about depression too. DH is bipolar. Takes meds of course thankfully otherwise we would have split a long time ago. Mood swings were beyond intolerable. All we can do is pray for them. Its their call.

Josie - the stomach flu is making the rounds here too. Hope you feel better and your dad.

I wish I could quit taking Tamoxifen but at least I only have 1 more year on it and it does provide a bit more insurance against a recurrence. One of the ladies in our group at church has had her BC come back now for the 3rd time but the chemo seems to be working - the tumors have shrunk 50%. She is such a courageous lady - never complains and has incredible faith.

I hope all you guys dealing with medical issues and your DHs feel better soon. I totally agree about us being the warriors. We don't have time to be sick - too much to do so we just do it BC or not.

I miss Kate too. I  think about how excited she always got getting her clothes ready and hair done for her trips to see her kids. She was one pretty lady. She suffered so. Maybe she is finally pain free and at peace.

Hugs to everyone - have a good week!

Diane

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Thanks Diane, I'm feeling much better.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2014

Happy Hanukkah!

Need to read back...but sending XO

USC this Friday...hubby will stay :))) it's his Bday too:((( GS and his parents arrive Friday afternoon :( so ASAP I'll turn around and head flack out to Rancho a Mirage...hubby says enjoy family time...so this gramie will go for the hugs, Christmas craft, and lights...lots of lights...need a miracle...gonna fill my heart tank with precious GS oh and his daddy:)))

Missing Kate too!

Pup just figure out how to climb into hubby's chair...think there's gonna be a meeting of minds!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

So nice to hear from you, Cindy.  Here's hoping they'll find an easy fix and hubby and you will be hope lickedly split.

I'm off to my two-year mammo and BS.  Can't wait to have this behind me!  Fingers crossed, please, everyone.

Yes, loved Kate's fashion reports.  For myself, a former Park Avenue NYC worker (not resident) who used to spend my lunch hours shopping at all the center-of-the-universe NYC stores, I've become quite a frump.  Interestingly, the frumpier I get, the better my sales results.  Frumping onward!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited December 2014

Big hugs to all, each & everyone of you. Thank you for all the support you have given me this year.

Had my mamo/ultra yesterday.  ALOT of pics were taken of my breastbone. Has me worried.  Playing the waiting game. Good luck Brookside, everything crossed for an all clear.

Cindy, praying u get your xmas miracle.

Josie, thinking of your Dad for Fri.

Big D hope you are having a nice visit with your cousin, and things are working out for you.  Think of you often.

Missing Kate as well.

• 70charger
    edited December 2014

Finally got tired of waiting, called the docs office.  ALL clear!

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Fran that's great news. I'm sure. That was a stressful wait. My Breast center has me wait and gives results right away.

Thanks for thinking of my dad. Unfortunately I probably won't get to get off work.I'm the youngest of 6 kids so hopefully some of us will be there for him and my mom.

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Hang in there Cindy. Enjoy your family time.

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

Diane thanks for the thoughts about my son.  I am sorry you have to go through this too.  My son is 38 and been battling these demons for years.  He tries so hard but when he falls off that wagon it is more like falling off a cliff.  It is a long hard fall with an difficult landing.  He drinks all alone and it is just himself and the bottle.  His binges can go on for days and he is out of communication the entire time.  My biggest worry is that he will drink just one too many sips and that is all it will take.  He has mentioned he hopes to die that way so it will not be reported as a suicide.  As a mother that comment alone haunts me and has for years.  This is a very difficult time for so many of us. 

Cindy I hope so much that your husband will get some good news from all those tests Friday.  I am sure it will be a difficult day for both of you.  It sounds like you have wonderful family support so you both will have family around to distract you from the worry.  Fingers and paws crossed for good news.  Hugs Cindy.

Brookside hoping for all clear results for you once again.  I have a good feeling you will sail through this one. 

Fran that is great you got the all clear.  Good for you for calling.  Like Josie I never have to wait for my results.  The radiologist comes to my waiting room and tells me the results right away.  I think everyone should get results that quickly.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

Got the all clear, more or less.  The way they do it at my center is the mammo (3-D this time) is followed by an appointment with the breast surgeon.  He reads the film, with the caveat that a radiologist will give the official report.  Within a few days, that report will be on the portal, so I'll get to read it all.

Always good to hear good news from others here--Happy news, Fran.

• 70charger
    edited December 2014

Here in Canada you have to wait for the Radiologist to read it, he sends it to your Doc. If it's clear they will call & tell you on the phone.  If not clear then you have to make an appointment to see you Doc & he gives you the news in person. Waiting Sucks, especially if you can't get in quickly to see your Doc. Congrats Brookside! Doing the happy dance for you.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2014

Cindy, thinking of you and your hubby tonight....good luck tomorrow and dont worry about hubby when you go visit GS and see the lights, we're planning a special pocket party for him so we can keep a close eye on him while you're getting a brief respite. Of course, this will be a family rated party since we'll be in " mixed" companySillyHeart

BigD thinking of you too and hoping you're getting along better.

I'm glad so many of you have gotten the all clear on your mammos that's a perfect Christmas gift.

Shout out to everyone, hopefully you're all enjoying a peaceful holiday season filled with love, friends and laughter.....and very little stress

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Brookside, congrats. How was the 3 D? I was going to get it but I'm glad I didn't. It would of cost more for me out of pocket and the other day I over heard a Rep talking to our docs about the 3D mammogram vs the regular. She admitted it has more radiation.

I stopped on my way home from work to see my father. He's nervous but I reassured him Jesus will be with him.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited December 2014

Hi ladies,

I am about 20 pages behind so I am not going to try to catch up right now.

I have been very under the weather and at several Drs, ER etc. My brain MRI and my mammo both came back negative so yeah for that. However the MRI dye caused my Sarcoidosis to flare and the flare caused my vertigo to go nuts so I have been on an upped dose of steroids....ugh....and holding the walls trying to get around in my house etc. Not fun. I have tried all the dizzy meds and nothing helps .....even went to my PT and she did the epply menuver but no luck. Looks like it will have to just calm down on its own. That can take weeks or months. I am going on month 2 and no end in sight. Winter is always hard for me with the gas furnace and old air quality here. Thank God my BT is still here and decided to stay till I get past the worst of this so I am not alone here trying to deal with this.

I hope everyone is doing well and will check in another time when I can focus longer. Happy holidays.

Bunkie

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2014

Congrats to you guys with all clears. We can all relate to the pre-anxiety and the post-relief.

I'm glad you have your BT too Bunkie.

Praying for you and DH Cindy.

Josie - let us know how your dad is doing,

Janis - my DS is younger but we have been dealing with various degrees of the problem since he was 15. We have done any and everything to steer him in the right direction. It works for awhile. It's hard on us as parents and in particular we moms to be in this helpless mode but it's exactly where we are. I'm not a control freak but I am a worrier. It's really up to them. DH handles the stress internally. Can't do that.

On a much lighter note another nephew is getting married next year. He is 2 months older than our youngest son. God help me if DS decides to take the plunge because it would b with the GFF I can't stand.

Btw I wait and get my results too thankfully.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Bunkie, glad your BT is there to help.Hope you feel better soon.

My Dad did well today but will have a long recovery. I didn't get to see him after work like I planned. There is 6 of us kids and everybody was there today but me. I couldn't get off since I thought the one girl was taking off too. But by 4:30 everyone was gone and my Dad was sleeping/sedated. So I figured I'll try to see him in the morning when he knows I'm there.

Got a big list of things to do tommorow including a flu shot. My company I'm working for requires it but I've never had one. I get itching when I eat something with raw eggs in it like licking the cake batter or cookie dough so I have to find a egg free vaccine. I have to pay $50 out of pocket for one and my company will pay me back. I'm sure my allergist is just being safe but it's a pain and I can't believe they wouldn't carry it.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2014

Hi RR friends...
    First, I have to say Happy Hanukkah to SAB...I hope your week of celebrating is a blessing to you and your family. 
    We can all use a miracle from time to time...and it seems like some need it now.

I have been so darned busy working but it's over for this semester.  I spent this past week subbing for my dept. acting chair - covered all his classes, 2 other prof.'s asked for help, plus my own 2 classes and grading etc. etc.  By Tuesday, I was sick - swollen bladder area and felt flu-ish...I held off on the anti-Bs and it went away.  It never does that...so am wondering what it was.  Now am congested and tired all the time.

Good news is, I took off work today and slept late and got hair done....it felt great.  Way behind in shopping and cleaning...did some decorating tonight.

So so happy to hear about the clear mammos here.  I also get my results right away in writing.  "report card"

Janis, I am really shocked at the dose of statin you were on.  Who knows - it could be causing some of your other health issues.
    I was on 5 then he upped to 10.  I couldn't tolerate it.  Back to 5 - every other day - couldn't take that.
    Now he wants me to do 2.5mg every other day..it is such a small amount but still I get confusion, general pain, and anxiety.

That is a heartache of a story, Janis, about your DS.  I wish he could be with you on Christmas.  Try to be positive and pray that someone will come across his path that will lead him to a change in himself. 

Bunkie, glad you checked in.  I hope you feel better soon. 

Cindy, tough situation...life is full of positive days and negative ones.  Feel the joy in your grandson and carry that back to DH.  Hugs and prayers...

Josie, glad your dad is through his procedure.  I hope he heals faster than expected and that he will find comfort in his family.
    It is so hard to see the head of the family going through illness.  Sorry you couldn't make the family gathering at the hospital.  There is a reason for everything...you are doing your best. 

Things at my department at work are tough right now...so much serious illness...at least 5 families being affected by very serious cancers.  It just seems so unfair but we all know that life isn't fair and cancer does not discriminate.  It can happen to anyone. 

Sew, how did you fare in the rains?  I hope it wasn't too bad up your way. 

Wishing you all a happy holiday season with miracles and hope, laughter and love.  It is hard to be peaceful...I am the worst at last minute chaos.  But I do feel happiness when I count the blessings of the past and present. 

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

Josie I hope your father is doing much better. He had so many people with him that is so heartwarming.  You have such a great family Josie.  You are all blessed to have one another. 

Bunkie I was sorry to hear about the darn vertigo being so severe.  Things just have to get better, you sure deserve a break.  At least you are not alone, how wonderful your friend is staying with you.  He sounds like a real keeper.  Feel better Sweetie.

Cindy you and your DH have been on my mind.  I hope you got some much needed answers from the first batch of tests.  I am so hoping to hear good news.  Please let DH know what a fan club he has here. 

Diane I hate what alcoholism has done to my son.  I know you understand.  I am like you, I worry.  I can't fix my son but I do all I can to let him know I am always thinking of him and cheering him on.  Right now it is a huge mess between he and my younger son who is hosting Christmas this year.  It is so sad.  I hope your son can find the strength to heal.

I had such sad news, my SIL passed away Tuesday evening from brain cancer.  It is no surprise but still so sad.  Jeanie was diagnosed with brain cancer just after Christmas two years.  She was my former SIL, younger sister to my ex DH.  I am still close to his family and to him as well.  Jeanie was always healthy as a horse as they say.  She never had a health problem.  She began noticing that she was having trouble expressing her thoughts.  She described it as knowing what she wanted to say but being unable to verbalize her thoughts properly.  She wasn't alarmed but did go get it checked.  Everyone was stunned.  She had a really tough road but a wonderful DH who poste for her on Caring Bridge when she was no longer able to.  She had multiple surgeries, infections, shunts, and about three weeks ago came home and had hospice care come in.  She lived in the LA area and family is spread.  Most of the family is in Oregon my ex is in Wyoming.  They are having a funeral in LA the ay after Christmas and a memorial later in Oregon.  Question.  I bought sympathy cards for Cal (ex), his mother and Jeanie's DH.  I started to fill them out and couldn't.  I just sent Christmas cards to everyone and now it seems inappropriate to send sympathy cards at Christmas.  I have no idea what I the proper protocol for sending sympathy cards.  Is it okay if I wait until after the holidays to send them?  It just seems wrong but I also want to express my sympathy in a proper time frame.  Oh, and Jeanie would have turned 61 Christmas Eve.  I am wondering if it would be okay to wait until after the first of he year?  I appreciate your input.

Give extra hugs to the ones you love, and tell them you love them.  Over and over. 

I love you ladies.  You mean so much to me and you all bring something very special to our little family here.

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Janis ,so sorry to hear that about your SIL. That is so sad and right before Christmas.

My prayers are with your family.Thanks for your kind words about my father.

Thanks Joan for your kind words also.

My Dad is doing better. He was just coming around when I got to the hospital this morning.He wasn't doing very good this morning.The doc on call came in and told us he was going to try and get him up and get him off some of the machines today. He was doing well considering. I dint stay too long but he did get a bag of blood. He is doing better now and is actually aware and sitting up in a chair.He has a long recovery But great nurses and is getting excellent care.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2014

Hello ladies. Cindy, you and hubby are in my thoughts and prayers as is your FIL Josie. 

Janis, so sorry about your SIL. I don't think it would hurt to send the cards either now or to wait. It is a matter of how you feel in your gut. There is no right or wrong when it comes from the heart imho. Hugs and condolences to your family.

Xmas has snuck up this year for me. I am broke so it is a hard one (DH got laid off again last month in case I did not mention it) and since the last 5 years have mostly had DH unemployed, I am unsure what the the future holds for us. Must sell this house soon...

Hope you are all doing well and Bunkie, sorry to hear of your most recent illness.

Hugs to all and Merry Xmas. xoxo

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Thanks April, actually my FIL is doing great and just got news the other day that the stem cell transplant worked and is cancer is back in remission. Right now it's my own father that needs prayers.

We are having financial difficulties too since I only get paid twice a month and the only paycheck I've received was for 6 days . This is since becoming a permanent employee with them.I started in the middle of a pay period. I guess this next check will be better.

Our Christmas fund goes directly into our checking in like early Nov. We didn't even get to use it . It went right back out.I hope your husband finds a job soon. My sister in law and brother both lost their jobs like 1 year ago or more and around the same time. Well they hired my brother back but I don't think his wife has a job yet.

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

April I am sorry to hear about your husband being unemployed.  These are tough times for so many.  We don't do gifts either but I do get such joy from baking my goodies and sharing them with friends and neighbors here.  I do mail goodie packages to my sons, my ex DH, and my sister and her family, and my dad and his GF/caretaker.   It is the postage that kills me.  Since everything is perishable I send the in those flat rate boxes.  The large boxes are $18 to mail.  I make sure I stuff them full and get my moneys worth, LOL!  Both my sons love my marzipan and so does my sister.  I think I made five batches this year.  I have heard back from everyone and they are all thoroughly enjoying the marzipan.  I love doing that, it really is a special treat for them.  The cake balls I send to my dad but the rest go to neighbors and my friends at the pharmacy.  They are such a great group of people.  I took them a big tin on Tuesday.  I am making up another tray today because the Sunday staff is different and they deserve goodies too.

Josie I am sending tons of healing energy to your dad, happy thoughts, positive vibes.  It is what I do rather than traditional 'prayer'.   I know that it helps.  You have had such a tough year and this latest health scare with your dad is so difficult.  Just know I admire your strength and courage during all you have been through this year.  Next year will have to be better, I am sure of it.  Big hugs Josie.  Oh BTW, it really bothers me when you say you don't know where your daughters got that 'pretty' gene from.  Look in the mirror Josie, you are one beautiful lady.  :)

I put about four ornaments on the tree yesterday.  That might just have to be enough this year.  DH put a few on too so there are probably a dozen or so now.  He put he lights on a couple weeks ago so I think it looks great.  I put a few little decorations out too, nothing like I usually do but I am happy with it.  At this point I don't feel the need to put more out.  We are alone on Christmas so keeping it light this year.  I am feeling better and I thank all of you for the good cheer.

Love to all!

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Janis, sorry I guess I really don't see pretty when I look in the mirror. I guess I've always had a poor self image. I'll have to work on that next year.

Thanks for your happy thoughts and positive vibes. It means a lot to me.

I'm sure your tree is gorgeous. It's the love that it was decorated with that makes it what it is.

My DH went to church with me this morning and we're about to head to the hospital to see my dad.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

So glad your dad is doing OK, Josie, and your FIL is really rocking his healthy new marrow.  Yes, I've had a partial check myself a time or two, and it ain't fun.  On the other hand, those five-day checks will start rolling in and you'll be doing better than before.  Meanwhile, look in that mirror and smile, smile, smile.

Sorry you hubby was laid off, April.  Hoping his company will have a good fourth quarter and maybe be able to take him (and others) right back.

So sorry to hear about your SIL, Janis. Yes,send that card when it seems the time is right.  They already know you care and after the holidays is such a quiet time, receiving your card might be feel reallyt good.

Glad you're on vacation, Joan (and RunFree).  Time to detox from all that intellectual stuff and just do whatever you want.

Two weeks after my gallstone/biliary thing, my liver enzymes are limping back to normal, but not there yet.  I'm being very, very good, eating no fatty or sweet stuff, and have lost 10 ugly pounds.  Next step is gastroenterologist, either just for a chat, or, more likely, an ERCP to see what's going on.  I've been through this before, multiple times, so not worried, but am thinking it might be time for me to start following Dr. directions and eat properly.  Sigh.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited December 2014

Just popping in to say hi. I have been packing, organizing and getting ready for this move. Movers came on Thursday and loaded everything into two storage lockers. Hopefully we will close on our sale this coming week. It is a government agency loaning the money to the buyer, so they work at their own speed. We have closing on our new place on the 5th of January. I have been shut in packing for over a week. We drove back to the city last night so we could have brunch with our two sons, and their families today. It was a wonderful day with good food, and board games. Days like this don't come along often enough.

I read back, but don't have time to comment tonight. I will write more later. I have work to do and then some sleep to get before getting on the road again to finish the last day of work in the older house. Then, it will be onward and upward to Christmas. Sending good healing wishes to Cindy's husband, Josie's dad, and Brookside, hope you are doing better. My father had those ever lasting gallstones as well. He finally got to the end of it. Bunkie, hope the dizzies go away soon. Janis, prayers for your dear son. I will check in soon Progress is good, spirits are high. Love, GiGi