Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2014

GiGil it is wonderful to hear from you.  It sounds like your life is busy and hectic as always.  How wonderful you got to have brunch with sons and families.  Wishing you and yours joyous Christmas.

Brookside I too struggle so much with diet.  Sigh......I am so bad.  Again I am going to try to get motivated after the holidays are over.  Something has to work, right?  I am diabetic but very mild.  So far!  I have to go see my new PCP next month and of course they will do all my blood work.  I fully expect a verbal spanking!  Why oh why does butter have to be so loaded with cholesterol?   Nerdy

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2014

Janis, I love butter too! Nothing like an English muffin just slathered with the stuff, all melty and gooey, then a bit of honey on top.  For health reasons, I add a few nuts and pretend it's a baklava.

So nice to hear from you Gigi.  Not envious of your packing.  At the moment, I'm giving the evil eye to my dining room table, which is loaded with  Christmas presents.  I just do not want to start wrapping.  And here you just wrapped an entire household!  I'm proud of you, and feeling pretty wimpy in comparison.

Your dad is the first other person I've heard of who's had the eternal gallstone thing.  Lucky us! 

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2014

Ladies I hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas, Hanukah or holiday season. I've had my first diagnostic mammo last week and see the surgeon tomorrow.  Facility sent the "form" letter saying they are pleased to say it was normal.....but I sent the PC office a message saying mail me the radiologist's actual report for my file.

Esmerelda the new kitty is pretty active.  I didn't put up a tree this year because she is flying solo so much of the year and I was afraid of what I might find when I come in some night.   One day I found my plastic disposable razor in the living room by the front door and that meant she had been inside the bathtub to bat it thru the house.......not a good toy...at all.

am fighting a cold that has me coughing and blowing and feeling tired.  Hopefully it will pass quickly..... 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2014

Thank You Radies for the well wishes...much appreciated:) reading back...but thinking forward:)))

Redhead - yeah :) normal all clear! Whew, scan anxiety, congrats...now you can smile going into the New Year! Bad kitty...already trying to shave her legs...gosh baby proofing the house...:))) go away cold flu:(

GiGil - good to hear from you. Whoa, packing moving closing and holiday celebrations...time with sons and family priceless...enjoy your holiday times:D

Charger - yippee 1 yr Happy Dance! Feels so good shake shake shake:)

Diane - heat up those seats drive around and enjoy the lights...much to be thankful:)))

April - sorry DH job situation :( did they determine what is the health problem...more sweet baby pics please!

Janis - sorry for the loss of your SIL. Mail the card when you are ready...the family knows...sometimes it's nice to get cards later...let's us know that others know we are still feeling the loss and missing them too. Gentle (((hugs)))

Brookside - Happy Dance! Yippee 2 yr cancerversary feels so good:). Now where is that gift wrap fairy...when she finishes at your house rush her to mine...I've got to get the sled loaded!

Bunkie - in your pocket {{{squeeze}}} glad the BT is there to help and glad the test results were negative as frustrating as the unknown can be...can you take a mini trip to CA or AZ and get away from the cold and stale air? Hope the house will be gone by summer.

Josie - yeah, dad and FIL are doing better! You are a beauty...there I waved the magic wand and airbrushed whatever you are hypercritical of is gone...look at the heart glow in the eyes, warmth in the smile:D

Sew - thinking of you...bet your Xmas stockings are amazing...now to fill!

Joan - breathe! You have such a fill schedule, enjoy the candle lights, I know you cherish your family so ...HappyHanukah...doesn't have to be perfect just full of love <3

BigD - praying all the best for you! Check in when you can...blessings {{{squeeze}}}

RunFree, SAB, Susannah, and et al missing your voices...singing you cheer!

Hubby's procedures went well...foley for 2 weeks :( than back to USC for results...ugh another Friday night drive out of LA:(. Expecting a call today tomorrow with some info...no news is good news right.

GS was all GO! Whew...it was sweet, exhausting, and I've never seen a kid so preoccupied with his fingers in his noise...oh my, I've walked around with wipes...hoping nothing is growing...how can they be so cute and carry so many germs...yikers. Son stayed over 1 night which was fun too...alway fun to hear what Xmas memories stand out for him...:)))

Will see MO in the morning than off to my dads in Fallbrook ...pickle ball, midnight service and Christmas morning GS DS DIL will arrive :))) Fingers&toes crossed blood work looks better cholesterol down...maybe dreaming, but I hope it did not go any higher on AI..Zometa infusion early January...Happy New Year!

Shout Out to all!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2014

Redheaded, good news!! Congrats.

Cindy, glad to hear you had a good time with GS. How old is he? I'm guessing 2 or 3. That's about the age they like to have the finger up the nose.

Thanks for that magic wand. I needed it.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday. It's not going to be much of a Christmas without Dad. My brothers having it but I guess we will all take turns visiting him.He's doing ok but I'm worried about his states of confusion.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2014

Oh my, where to start, where to start?

First, happy dances for clear tests, it feels so good to read that, makes me smile.

April, sorry about DH's job. Special empathy as my DH closed his company this week, and we are uncertain of what the future holds. I hope he finds something good.

Josie, well wishes for your Dad. It sounds like you and the family have circled the wagons around him and I'm sure that gives him strength.

Janis, I am hoping hard that your DS stays strong. I'm sure you are sending him lots of love.

Joan thank you for the holiday wishes!

My dd the elder is here and I don't have much time to touch base with everyone. I wish I could write a long post sending each of you a hug. We closed campus today, and we are getting ready to travel so I wanted to make sure and visit the thread to wish all of you a joyous holiday season. Hanukkah has been very nice, low key and calm. We entertained once, and went out once. Tonight we'll light all 8 candles and I'll have both of my daughters with me, joy!

Hugs to all, much love for the season and beyond.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2014

Just checking in....it surely has been a tough end of year for some.  I hope and pray things turn around for each person going through trials. 
    This holiday season is surely different for me...missing a son who can't make it; and not sure if DD#1 is coming up from DC. 
    It's no problem for me - I just don't now where I'll be on what day.
    Wishing you all a time with friends and/or family.  We can all use a few days to rest and reflect on the good things in life.

I hope to check in again...
    Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy New Year...
    J

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

A very Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and oodles holiday joys and blessings to all. 

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy, Healthy New Year!

• joan811
    edited December 2014

Merry Christmas to all...
    I am grateful to know each person here.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2014

Merry Christmas ladies. Love to all xoxoxo

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannuka to all !!!

My best Christmas present was seeing my Dad doing so well yesterday and walking down the hall with some assistance. He's really doing great considering. Thank you all for all the kind thoughts and prayers.I think they're ready to send him to home or to a rehab facility. But mom doesn't want to rush it.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2014

I'm late wishing all you guys Happy holidays. Been down for the count with brutal allergies. Popping pills that finally kicked in.

I can relate to money being tight Josie. It seems we are always broke at Christmas time but I realized its not about the gifts but the time you spend with loved ones. DH and I don't buy each other gifts but I give him something from the dogs! We do buy DS who is at home something and the grandchildren. We have several family birthdays in December on top of that! My Christmas present this year(surprise) was a trip with friend to Nashville for the Music City Bowl Dec 30 to see my Irish play LSU. We got tickets for the tailgate party as well. DH couldn't get off from work or he would be going.

So sorry April about DH's job. Never a good time but esp tough now.

We are hooking up with DH's family Sunday for Christmas. Huge family and only time we could all get together. My family is elsewhere except for one brother and his family and they are working. DS is with GFF but home today for our Christmas. 2 nephews got engaged and both getting married in Chicago and Detroit. Happy for all of them.

Josie - hope your dad continues to get better.

This is a wonderful time of year and we have all been blessed in some way but we all have struggles too. Here is hoping 2015 is a better year!

Personally it's tough for me missing my Mom and Dad and my 2 brothers. My mother so loved Christmas and the decorations. I have tried to follow suit.

You guys are the best. Hugs to all of you. I am truly blessed to be part of this group.

Diane

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

Hugs and an abundance of love to all. 

Murphy hopes all your wishes came true!

• joan811
    edited December 2014

Why does this happen?  A long post, almost done....then it flips back to the previous page and all is lost....
    Recap...don't feel like adding details again (which could be better, I guess)

Am enjoying my time off.  Still in bed this morning.  No work. No papers to grade. No must-do chores.
    Had a good time with 3 of my kids and 2 grandkids on Christmas in CT.  DS came from Chicago. 
    Back to CT Saturday for DD's visit from MA.
    No plans yet from DD in DC.
    DS in San Francisco did not come this year.  I will pack up a large box for him today.
    DH is sick...not going anywhere.
    I may travel to DC or Boston before the week is out.

Diane, I also think of my mom over Christmas, she loved it so much.  I have many of her ornaments, and cannot fit them all on the tree.  They bring memories.

After 23 years we finally got a new TV to bring us into the 21st century.  The old one would not (and did not) die.  So DH and I are enjoying some movies and just relaxing.  Ahhhhhhhhh!

Love and hugs!

J

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Joan, good for you .you sound like your relaxed and enjoyed your family this holiday season.Hope your DH gets better soon. Safe travels for you.

Diane, thanks my Dad is doing well and even with the small hiccup on Friday which ended him back into surgery for a minor procedure. He did fine and yesterday walked about 3 blocks down the hall and around the unit. He's back to himself and no longer confused at all that I can see. My brothers and sisters and I have been taking turns going to see him. He's going to be moved to a rehab facility today. Then hopefully home after that. My mother is a LPN so is very capable of taking care of him but may need some help when she gets him home. My sister is a RN but no longer works so she has been there for them more than I can with my working full time.Luckily gas is so low now under $2 a gallon right now since I've been stopping on my way home from work lately. I had a bad nightmare last night woke up scared thinking that the hospital called saying he had a emergency. My DH had a time convincing me it was only a dream and I called first thing this morning . He's fine and it was only a bad dream.

Janis cute pic of your dog.

• justmejanis
    edited December 2014

Josie I am sorry about your dream.  Dreams are often an extension of things we worry about in our conscious life.  Not a predictor of things to be.  I know you have been terribly worried about your dad so having a bad dream like that is pretty normal.  I am sure the little setback didn't help and only added to your worries.  Just try to take all the prayers and positive from this thread and send those right to him.  Along with your love and prayers.  That is a lot of love and prayers and energy sent his way.  The confusion was likely caused by all the pain meds and other drugs he was given.  Sounds like he is in good hands. 

Joan I know what you mean about those long mails vanishing.  Very annoying!  I am so glad you have this time for some much needed rest.  You sure earned it.  I know you will be into something soon,, you can't sit still for too long.  Embrace the quiet while you can and enjoy the new TV. I hope your DH feels much better very soon. 

The dog in the picture is my Murphy, ten years old now.  He loves stuffies and never ever hurts them.  A friend sent them some for Christmas and Murphy was in doggy heaven.  You can barely see Sampson, off to the right, checking out the other toy.  We go to garage sales during the summer and buy stuffies for them for Christmas.  Only the nice, clean, new looking ones.  You can tell when someone cleans out a little girls' room, they often have dozens of them for sale and in mint condition.  Now all Murphy needs is a bigger toy box!

Much love to everyone.  I am blessed to know you!  I wouldn't change a thing.  Happy

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Thanks Janis, maybe I've been more worried about my Dad then I realized.

• april485
    edited December 2014

Aubrey turned 2 months old the other day. Her sister Mckenzie will have my son's last name as of January 8th when the adoption becomes final. One big happy family now...FINALLY! Long story, but my son and his Mom go back over 10 years and were engaged 9 years ago and broke up. She married someone else, had Mckenzie and then they divorced. Back with my son and now they married and have the two girls. It took forever, but worth the wait! Happy Holidays ladies! xoxo

• april485
    edited December 2014

Oh and a picture of my youngest...my daughter Stacey who is an attorney in Boston MA. She turns 34 tomorrow! My little one...sheesh, the years are flying by!

• josie123
    edited December 2014

April, she's gorgeous. So is the Grandbaby. Thanks for sharing.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited December 2014

Happy New Year everyone! House packed, contents stored, and house is waiting for its new owner. The last day was a marathon with DH and me working 14 hours and then driving in the middle of the night to be with the grandkids on Christmas Eve. I am not sure we are over the fatigue yet. We are in Florida for the week with DD and her family. Thinking of all of you and enjoying the pictures and the news. New Years blessings to each of you

• joan811
    edited December 2014

Josie, So glad to hear your Dad is mobilized and ready for rehab.  It's been quite a year for you..I hope things settle down and you can establish a "normal "routine with your family and new job (hey, I know from experience it's rarely "normal" with family).

Gigii, congrats on the move!  Wow...I remember that packing and 11th hour experience (did we really have this much stuff??)  Glad it is done.  Florida is a great place to be -- away from the concerns and in nice weather, I hope.
    Will you see the Mouse?  Enjoy....

When I think of all the things that have been shared here, I am grateful for each one of you. 

Joan (Big D) if you are reading here, just know that many of us are thinking of you and praying for your recovery and resolution to your many challenges.  It has to get better...hugs and prayers.

For you too, Bunkie.

For the many friends here, I thank you for your friendship.  Why do we stay here on BCO?  I think it is because there is nowhere else that we can freely talk about our joys and fears and test results in the context of BC...but here we can be honest and not worry about seeming dramatic or about worrying others.  We have that common experience and we have each come a long way.

For any newbies who drop by here, many of us have been on this thread for several years so are well into the post-rads experience.  But we still hold those things in common...feel free to join or ask questions. Three years ago this week, I had about 7 radiation treatments to go.  I finished and celebrated by doing nothing for a few weeks. 

Wishing each of you (early) Happy New Year.

Remembering Joyce (Kate).......imageimage

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2014

I feel the same way - very blessed to be part of this community.  Everyone helped me and continues to help me with sound advice.  I hope that I sometimes return the favor.  From the beginning when first diagnosed, thru biopsies, lumpectomies, rads, Arimidex, and now moving on to reconstruction - all the women out here are superstars with their support and concern.  Then losing our little Bentley in October........it doesn't seem to matter what is going on, everyone tries to be supportive.

I wish everyone a very happy New Year.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2014

Joan - you've beautifully captured our hearts for each other :))) enjoy your time off, family, hubby, and quite time!

Josie - praying your father is getting better and you have sweet dreams...

Dogs - yes, our special bond...always in each other's pocket {{{squeeze}}}

GiGil - yeah, FL time...date with a mouse or some sweetie pies :)))

April - wow, dd is a beauty and those GKs are cuties :D

Bunkie - hope BT keeps you warm <3

Janis - wuff Murphy looks happy...good advice...

Diane - wave at the LSU game...Nashville :) lucky you!

OhioFan - good to hear from you!

BigD - thinking and praying for you! Check in when you can.

USC says hubby is c free...growths were all scar tissue...herniated neobladder, will discuss options soon. Fighting the flu...ah, my precious GS comes with germs...did this last year after his visit...too cute.

MO said my cholesterol dropped to 206 from 216 wow...ha ha doesn't seem worried my vit was low so will adjust my supplements...prunes please:)image

Happy New Years! Blessings in 2015

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

Ok not the best posting of the germie luv

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2014

I need that "Like" button today!   A Happy New Year to all!!! 

Thanks for being here!

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

Such good news, Cindy!  Nothing says Happy New Year like a cancer-free dx.  Happy, happy, happy!

So Gigi, your move is moved?  Such a project.  Now time to just relax, I hope, or are you redecorating and renovating and so forth?

Glad your dad is doing well, Josie, and your FIL.  Hope the job is going well.  You'll get caught up pay-wise before you know it. 

April, your daughter and grandkids are gorgeous.  No doubt they take after you!

I'm having a little New Year's Eve party, so c'mon over, ladies.  Wine, goodies, champagne, fun.  Can't wait to say adios to this year.  Hoping the nice baby new year will be amazing for all of us.

• joan811
    edited December 2014

Cindy, that is great news - cancer free!  Time to start dancing again...I hope DH is encouraged and has a swift recovery.  Grandson is adorable!  (germs and all)

DogsNL, good to see you and yes, we are here for just about everything, it seems. 

Ohiofan, glad you are here too.

Janis, you were so welcoming and helpful to me.  I am glad you are here!

Brookside, I love your wisdom and practical advice - now party on into the new year! 

Gigi, I am thinking you are not moved in because you mentioned the word "storage" for your things.  What is your schedule when you get back?  (or maybe I should say, "don't even think about what you have to do next until you get back!"

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2014

Ditto what everyone has said----what a distance I have covered in the past year.  Jan 30 2014--You have malignant breast cancer----to today----you are NED.

Never in a million years did I expect to find a website (of all things) that would be full of women sharing this disease and I don't know where I would be without all of you.  Nobody gets it except someone who has been through it.  This site has been as much a part of my recovery as the treatments I received.

I hope 2015 is full of good times, wellness and love, all around ladies.

Sandy

• april485
    edited December 2014

Yay Cindy! Wonderful news! Your grandbaby is precious!

I also don't know where I would be without other women who "get it" when it comes to BC! Love you all.

Joan/BigD, you are always in my thoughts.

Hope you all have a great New Year filled with health and happiness times a million! We all deserve it!