Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2014

Thanks y'all! Full pockets full heart :D

Yesterday drove into USC, met a new team member, primary surgeon is out of country, did exams...and he said he would review with team. Drove home in horrible Friday night traffic 4 hr ugh...pup slept:))) valet was nice parked car next to entrance so I could come and go walking pup...sweet...gosh how I hate driving into LA.

Dr called this morning with the plan...around 12/16 will go back to USC for tests, dye for leakage, biopsies of growths, drain the urine out of pocket, try to clean everything up, and then wait...possible new cancer, rebuild the bladder, or go to a bag...hubby is in shock and discouraged...possible week in hospital.....I'm stressed...my DIL agreed to come out and do an early Christmas here in the desert and use the condo I reserve each year...12/19-12/22. Praying hubby is not at USC during this time...last time Cdiff and 2 mos Icu...and it's his BDay..yikers not what we had planned but very thankful for a plan and to get moving and get her done...too many Mater cartoons with GS.

April - I'm still smiling over the baby pic :D

Joan - our night owl...whoa you go girl :)))

Brookside - yeah, happy dancing...2 yrs sounds so goooood :)))))

Diane - heated seats :) mine also cool...which feels like you have a little wet spot hee hee...so I only use the heat!

Sew - I'm trying to make aprons for gifts this year...

SAB - yes, the book?

RunFree - how's your hubby? Did he finish his BCG? Hope the end of semester is going well...

BigD - xo

Janis - cakeballs and holiday treats...yum:)

Josie - moving day at work...say a lot about the office...glad you are happy there:)

Charger - how is it down south!

GiGil - are you up north or on the coast in DW? Know that you are busy with holiday memories:)

Lemon, Bunkie, Red, Susannah, missing a few

Need a walk to clear my head...I still see bumper to bumper red tail lights...go gentle by Robbie Williams

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2014

Cindy - so sorry about your DH. Heck of a time to be dealing with this being his birthday and holidays but at least there is a plan. Sounds he is n good hands.

I'm glad your DIL is coming there. Tough on the caregivers too. I know you are worried and stressed. We will keep the prayers coming. Meanwhile keep the faith and keep us posted.

Diane

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2014

Cindy, whew....you're on another whirlwind...I don't blame your husband for being in shock...and you too! But at least there is a plan, and you've got time to get his blood up to par. Thankful that pup travels so well....maybe you should treat yourself to a driver when you have to go back! I guess there isn't much more I can offer, except you both will be in my thoughts, and i, like all of us, are there with you. I'm loving the vegetarian quiche SAB makes and the decadent chocolate mousse that miraculously shows up at these pocket parties...is that you, Edwards? Or Dogsneverlie? anyway, be sure to take care of yourself too during all this.....((hugs))

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2014

Cindy, I am definitely in your pocket, and will bring any of your favorite cyber-foods to the party. I know this is scary, and I hope that DH will be able to enjoy birthday and holiday. How special you are to shout out to all even when you're so worried and busy. Are you splitting time between Rancho and LA? That's a lot of driving.

April, on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what I hope will be good news.

Josie, now you'll know where everything is, since you put it away!

Janice, Have you found a lucky bakery or shop to take some of those cake balls yet? I still remember your last holiday photo of all those beautiful goodies.

Sew, yes, how nice it has been to have rain this week. Today dh and I walked in the rain, and stopped to hear the creek running--a sound we haven't heard for a long time! My lab loves the rain...she especially loves being toweled off, and runs into my towel when I get out of the shower! Anyway, I see we're in for more and I hope you are watching it, happily, from a nice, cozy, dry spot.

I tried to catch up, but I'm sure I missed some important stuff over the last few days. It is fun to hear about all of your holiday activities and decorations. There is a tree cutting farm in our neighborhood, and today we saw a caravan of trees going by as we drove up to Oakland to take DD the Elder out to lunch. Unfortunately she looks a bit pale and thin, and is stressed out over starting a little gallery. Her place is pretty close to ground zero for the Oakland protests over the recent police actions, and I am worried. I couldn't help but notice that she has three deadlocks on her door! Is that good or bad?

Training was fine. I learned a lot, and have a "final" that I have to submit before the end of the weekend so that I can be re-certified to read applications. Writer's group is tomorrow, and I have my pages ready :-) but the writing goes slowly. I'm a little frustrated...I'm emotionally pretty done with the project, but know I have to persist in getting the rewrite done. I was hoping for the end of the year, but now I have decided to give myself a full year for the rewrite, so my new goal is March. Thank you for remembering, and for asking, I know it is going on forever.

Hi everyone! Sorry I didn't shout out to all, but I'm thinking of you as I close this note.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2014

Cindy, sounds like a very stressful time for you and DH. Pocket party.Keep us posted.

SAB, yes I'm thankful for that.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2014

(((Cindy))) this is tough news for DH...men don't take things like we do...
    remember...oh...BC?  let me get on the computer and figure it all out...OK...surgery....done....OK....treatment decisions?  done...OK and while I'm at it, let me keep up with my house and my family and even some of us work during chemo/rads.  A guy has a different approach....NOooooooo!  or, "I'm not sick, let me out of here".....
    Don't mean to try to lighten it up...just feeling pretty badly for you both.  Never a right time to be sick and holidays may make it seem worse.  It will work out, but you will have to focus and be persistent to get the best possible resolution.  It boggles my mind how much you've accomplished in the midst of all these challenges. 
    Hugs and prayers....
    SAB, do you get time off for holidays or winter break?  I know you are extra-busy with the upcoming semester and now applications.  I hope you have "enough" vacation (no such thing really)
    OK - bed time....busy busy week end and now back to work in a few hours.  Had late coffee to finish grading one class...the second class will have to be done in my office tomorrow by noon.
    Hugs everyone....
    Joan

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2014

Cindy, big squishy hugs for you and hubby! I know that no matter what, your strength and tenacity will see him through this latest health challenge. As Joan so aptly put it above, we just "get er done" and that is what you will see to it that happens for him, of that I am sure.

To all of my friends, I am home from work today as I just could not physically function very well. The exemestane (Aromasin) side effects seem to be getting exponentially worse as the months grind on. I am really on the cusp of trying femara at this point to see if I can hack that one. Ugh...so very sore today and it is hard to even walk to the bathroom when I have to go. Not good at all.

My fingers hurt typing this so gonna go now but know I think of all of you with your current issues and you are all strong and will weather whatever gets thrown your way. I know that for sure!

xo

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2014

Cindy my heart goes out to you sweet lady.  When is enough enough?  I will keep you and your family tucked close and say special prayers for you both.  As others may have mentioned, please try to remember to take good care of you.  It is so very important.  Hug that beautiful grandson, and of course the pupper as well.  Sending my special healing hugs your way.

SAB I am sorry that your daughter has to live so close to such troubling events.  I suppose the three locks are necessary but are disturbing.  Sending many healing hugs her way.  I am so glad that you have finally gotten some relief from the terrible drought conditions. 

Joan you are as always so busy.  Rush rush I know.  You too need to take care of yourself and really try to find some down time.  Easier said than done I know.  Thinking of you and your amazing family always.

April sorry you are feeling so lousy.  These AI's are so confusing.  I finally went off Arimidex after almost three years and now am on Femara.  The generic version.  My joint pain is creeping back and the sweats are awful.  It always seems like our choices are so limited.  Out of the frying pan into the fire, right?  I do know though a lot of people react differently to each Ai and maybe Femara will be a good fit for you.  I hope if you do make the change that it is much easier on you than the Aromasin has been.  Phooey!  I feel lucky as I only have 2 years left to go..  It seems very doable.  :)

I baked four cakes today so my official cake ball baking has started.  Late no less.  I am having a terrible time focusing on the task at hand.  Suddenly I realize the date and haven't started a thing.  I am so lucky me DH helps so much.  I could never get this done alone.  I have other goodies to make as well.  I am sending out fewer packages this year, just cannot handle the postage sadly.  I would bake my heart out and mail to everyone if it wasn't so high.  Even a small box is at least $10 to ship and most are $15.  Yikes.  Years ago I could do it but sadly not anymore.  :(  Still I am happy I can do it for so many great neighbors and the people at the pharmacy.  They always love my care packages and I love doing them.  I expect I will be up to my eyeballs in flour and chocolate and powdered sugar all this week.  I actually enjoy it as long as I am not too tired.

Take care one and all.  Love and hugs to everyone.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2014

Cindy, so sorry about the on, and on, and on, and on, your poor hubby has to deal with.  Not knowing exactly what they'll find is pretty darn rough too.  The two of you have been through so much; you will weather this too.

April, I found PT was a big help with thse joint aches.  Also a couple of drug holidays.

I'm just beginning to feel human.  I'm one of those lucky people who continue to form gallstones even after the gallbladder has been taken out.  Had a big deal event Thursday night, have now had lung and abdominal x-rays, ultrasound of liver, bile duct, pancreas, aorta, and right kidney, and an abdominal CT.  All normal.  Well, yeah.  I might have known it was just gallstones, but the ER doc sure didn't.  Great side effect:  No onc would order all those tests without a good reason and I see all those negative scans as a very nice message of no mets.

Josie, I hope your workday was blissful.  Do remember that you're going to be pretty sensitive for a while after the purgatory of your former workplace.

BigD, hope things are going well.

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Janis, I would be glad to send you $20 just for a taste of those cake balls. I'm really considering and I will IM you if I decide that.My mother in law told me over the weekend she wasn't planning on baking cookies this year. She was hoping to partake in the eating them though. In other words I'm on my own. I will call my mom and get together with them for baking.Every year I bust my chops helping her when I miss out on my family baking. Not this year.

Brookside, glad to hear your feeling better. What a rough weekend you had.

Yes my day was pretty good. I was up front answering phones today and actually my co workers told me how nice it was because I could answer phones while they could get their work done.That was nice to hear. I'm getting better on the phones and actually I liked feeling needed. I'm needed in the back office too on some days but I don't get the feedback except from the docs.They actually get out on time instead of running late or behind. It's almost like they could use a second person.

Christmas tree is inside with lights on. No ornaments yet but it's a start.

Cindy, thinking of you (((hugs)))

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to get it not sideways. Hopefully you can still see it.

• april485
    edited December 2014

Taking a holiday from the drug (did one in April for a month and felt great) cause I will NOT go through the holidays feeling lousy like this!

Late work start today due to icy roads...in sooo much pain and am afraid I might fall on the ice. Bringing my cane to work despite vanity as I am in that much pain that I cannot deny walking is difficult without support. YIKES..am only 59!

Love to all!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited December 2014

Back from vaca. Just HAVE to share my daughters story.  While she was away taking her son to school, the 6 cats got into mischief. She came home to 6 cats covered in Duvet down, Feathers EVERYWHERE, on the walls, stairs.  In the hall, bedrooms, kitchen counter, livingroom. She sat & had a coffee before trying to catch the cats.  Once she caught them, the more she brushed, the more static, the more feathers were attracted.  I feel so bad for her, but it is just so funny at the same time.

• april485
    edited December 2014

OMG, I almost peed my pants! Having cats myself, I can just picture them all in cahoots and having a ball! Too funny!! Thanks for sharing that as it made my day! Oh and welcome back and hope you had a splendid vacation!

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

April, quick--hide the duvets!  Cats communicate through email.

I have been having the best time imagining the party the cats had, sort of like a kitty bouncy castle. They must have played until total exhaustion set in. 

Thank you so much for the photo and story. 

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Fran, cute story about the kitties. That would be my luck. When we leave the kitties even with someone they pout and don't eat much so apparently these kitties are well adjusted and had a great time. Or perhaps had a little scuff with someone and the duvet cover suffered the greatest. Perhaps they were fighting over the comfy space .

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2014

Oliver waiting for his Christmas treats....and chewing a limb here and there....

Happy Holidays......

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2014

That is so funny April. I'm sure it wasn't for your daughter. Those kitties had a big time. Makes the canines in my house little Angels by comparison although they have destroyed ornaments, flowers and my DH's glasses twice! Yikes! I put them outside when I can but right now it's too cold. They go in and out constantly but not for long periods of time.

The cartoon Josie posted with the tree that was leveled was hilarious too. I really thought the dogs were going to topple our tree.

Watch your step. I know a cane is a pain but we do what we have to do.

Diane

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2014

I love the kitty pictures!!!!  I am always worried about the pups but the kitties get into the tree way more!

• josie123
    edited December 2014

• josie123
    edited December 2014

imageMy Daughters ugly sweater partyimageimage

• joan811
    edited December 2014

It has been pretty quiet here...
    Sew, did you get the deluge?  I hope you are safe and dry.  My DS in Berkeley had a flooded basement.  Ahhh the joys of home ownership...
    (((Cindy))) still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. 
    (((Joan))) thinking of you too.
    Gotta get going back to sleep....got up to do some ordering since I couldn't sleep.
    More soon...
    Hugs

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited December 2014

Still finding feathers here & there. Still have the 6 here. 3 will go back home on the 30th. Glad they put a smile on your face & made you chuckle.

Sew:  nice to hear from you.

Big D: your boss was an idiot, can't wait for karma to hit him & it will happen. Things will work out for the better just give it a bit of time.

Cindy:  Super Big Hug! So sorry you guys are having to deal with all this crap. hopefully good news is on its way in some shape or form.

Josie: Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing. Really happy for your new job.  It was a long time coming.

Really have to start xmas shopping today, baking on Mon, mamo on Tue, hubbys pot luck on Wed. Then have to get ready for holiday in Vegas. I want nothing to do with xmas this year. So not like me. Kids are already complaining, You won't be here, what am I going to do. I told them to cook their own turkey.

Thinking of you all. Fran

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Thanks Fran.Glad you like the pics I wasn't invited to her party but at least she sent me a pic.

I'm not much in the Christmas spirit either. Cleaning today and finally hanging ornaments on tree. Maybe DH will make it home before long to do outside lights.He's working all weekend.

• brooksidevt
    edited December 2014

Love everyone all decked out in Christmas sweaters.  Doggies look quite pleased to be part of the fashion world.

My front porch and steps are a wintry challenge right now.  I was so sick during the snowdays, I wasn't able to shovel.  Now I have chunks of hard,heavy, ice-like white stuff sneering at me.   Hoping for a real nice thaw.

Sending warm hugs to all those who need them. 

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Brookside, you need to pay a neighborhood kid to shovel for you. If you've been sick you probably aren't up to it yet.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2014

Fran what a great story about the kitties.  I can't imagine trying to clean up all those feathers.  It is funny, but more so for us reading about it than having to deal with all that mess.  I hope the trip to Las Vegas cheers you.  I am really struggling this Christmas as well.  No family nearby and we can't do gifts so it is difficult.  I am still baking for a few people.  Both my sons and my sister have some goodies heading their way.

Sew, your cat is beautiful and I love the peek-a-boo look on her face.  His face?  Really great photo.

Joan I hope all is well with you.  I know how crazy busy you always are.  I hope you can take time to enjoy Christmas.  Betting you will have plenty of family around.  Big hugs sweet lady!

Josie your pctures are always so good.  Your daughter is so pretty.  Love the dogs and their silly sweaters.  Your tree is really pretty, even sideways!  :)

Brookside I am so sorry you were so sick.  Please be very careful around the house with all that ice.  Do you keep Ice Melt or salt around to help dissolve the ice?  Throw a handful or two out there and let it work it's magic!

April I sure hope the break from the drug helps.  I had to take several breaks from Arimidex in the past three years.  I saw my MO in October and he switched me to Femara.  The jury is still out if it is any better on the old bod!

All of you ladies have a very special place in my heart.  You have cheered me over the years so many times.  I know the holidays are difficult for some, joyous for others.  My wish for everyone is to have a wonderful time in the days and weeks ahead.  I wish joy and love to all of you.  You all mean more to me than you can possibly know.  What a fantastic thread this is!  I love that we are always, without fail, kind and helpful to one another.  You rock my friends.  It has been a joy getting to know all of you.

Peace, hugs, and much love to all! 

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Thanks Janis both my DD' s are beautiful but I'm not sure where they got their looks from it definitely wasn't me. I was kind of ugly as a child. And the only day in my life I actually felt beautiful was my wedding day.

Good news my DD is finally going to get some crates for those pups. She's tired of cleaning up messes I think. They have chewed up a lot and the one pup is still not housetrained.

• josie123
    edited December 2014

Janis, hugs right back to you. You and everybody have been a great support to me also. I'm very blessed to have found this thread also.

• joan811
    edited December 2014

Josie, don't like to argue, but I have met you and you are a beautiful lady!
    Janis, I am trying to stay ahead of the game....finishing up work very soon and working in a little cleaning, shopping and baking here and there.  I am sorry for you to not have family nearby.  We are used to having a gathering with many/most of the kids and grandkids.  But this year is still up in the air.  I am trying not to be sad about it.  I have choices; can drive 3 or 5 hours to visit kids.  But my son is traveling here from Chicago and I hate to make him travel again.

I have had a tough time with my prescription drugs the past month or two...my mail order plan from my job is not filling one of my drugs as written.  I have spent hours on the phone and had only 2 days of pills left.  Meanwhile, I have tried again to add the statin in a reduced dose.  Within hours, I felt irritable, confused and had general pain.  I think I'll put off the statin until after holidays and give it one last try.

Time for sleep....easy day tomorrow at work. 

PS - I have been thinking of Kate (Joyce) who left this thread and this world this year.  She would have been celebrating Hanukkah this week...I hope she is in peace and no pain.