Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2014

Happy New Year everyone.

I have to work 1/2 day today. No doctors just answering phones.But my DD has wanted to have a few friends over to celebrate New Years eve. She called her Grandma and asked her if it could be at her house. That's fine with me. I'll even buy them Subway. She of course doesn't think I need to be there. That's fine. My son and I will have our own New Years eve party. My hubby gets off around 9pm.My hairdresser has a deal with my husband's shop like bartering services. So we haven't paid or a haircut for a while. Well my husband's sister decided no more. So I get to have 1 more cut and color after work today.I'll have to just budget for my haircuts next year.

I've already started some new years resolutions. I don't always stick to them but I try.

Gigil, I admire you for moving .That's a lot of work.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited December 2014

Hi there all of you lovely ladies. I'm taking a moment to pop in and thank my bc sistas here. Your advice, support and companionship have meant the world to me. It has been 3 1/2 years now since my diagnosis, and I couldn't have imagined that a casual suggestion from the nurse at my MO's practice to find this web site would be so important to my recovery. This has been a busy and sometimes brutal year for my little family, but I always find a safe and supportive place here. Even if I can't post as much as I did, I want you to know that I care about, and think about all of you. May 2015 bring you all of the blessings that you richly deserve. Susan

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2015

Thank all for a very supportive year. To those that posted pics, all were beautiful.

I've been having a horrid time of it. In short, Flew to Vegas on the 22nd for xmas. Hubby got sick the next day. Spent the next 4 days battling a raging fever in the hotel room. Callled on the Sat & got tickets home early. Straight to ER. He has pneumonia. Back in ER on Sun, Dr office Mon. Tue, he couldn't pee, back to ER & they admit him. Yesterday visited with him in the morning. Went to see him in afternoon. He's not there. They transferred him to Edmonton for CT scan. Had to then wait 5 hrs for them to decide if he was coming back here or not. Find out he's not coming back, being admitted to hospital in Edmonton. Get there late last night to find him with a chest tube in to drain the fluid. We are hoping & praying the new antibiotics take hold & work.  I have it as well but not as bad. This stress as you can imagine is wearing me thin. please forgive me for not addressing you all individually. Fran

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2015

(((Fran and hubby))) Here is to better health on the horizon for you both.

Happy New Year ladies. Love to all! xoxo

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Fran, so sorry for your husbands pneumonia. What a terrible way to start the new year.

(((Hugs))))

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2015

Fran, so very sorry your and hubby have to deal with this totally miserable misery.  Can't imagine how that plane ride felt.  Ugh.  I sure hope he's feeling at least a little better today.  And you too!

Well, I made use of the last little bit of my 2014 deductible.  On Tuesday I had an ERCP, woke up at 1 AM on New Year's Eve with 101.  ER visit, tests, probably an inflammatory response to the procedure, or the anesthesia.  Fairly normal, but not hoped for side effect.  Luckily I'd done all the party prep a couple of days before, just in case. Slept all day, fever broke at 4:00.  Assembled hors d'oeuvers, but passed on fancy stuff, and hosted party.  Thank goodness this crew likes to celebrate New Year's early, early early. Happy they were here; happy they went home. 

Happy New Year, everyone.  May this year get better and better for all (right now especially for all your poor husbands, although I'm not by any means forgetting the issues each of you is suffering through).

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2015

You guys said it all and so well. This website started out being a place to go to ask questions and compare war stories but it has become a place to converse with friends. What is so cool is most of us have never met but you wouldn't know it by our posts. I feel so blessed to be part of this group of amazing women.

Hope 2015 brings relief for those of us and our spouses both medically and financially. We are all strong and courageous women. We have proven that.

Had a blast in Nashville at the game. My Irish pulled off the upset over LSU. Yea!

Happy New Year my friends!

Diane

• 70charger
    edited January 2015

Talked to the hospital, they said if he needed surgery they would do it tomorrow, so we drove in only to get there & guess what, he's in surgery. We came back home. It will be 3-4 hrs til he's out of recovery. They are gonna call me.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Yikes! You must be beside yourself.  Do you even know what kind of surgery he is having?  Sending prayers and healing thoughts.  Will they let you stay in the hospital with him? 

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Fran, hope all goes well for him. I know the stress your talking about. My mother is wearing thin also. They have my father in a rehab/nursing home. He's doing well but not been walking enough.They have him as a fall risk so he has to wait for the nursing staff to walk him. He is still pretty weak but who wouldn't be after a 4 way BP.

What kind of surgery? I know you said he had a chest tube in already. Urinary surgery?Forgive me if you already told us I missed it if.

Brookside glad your feeling better. I guess they are trying to figure out the reasons for the gallstones.

I have accomplished a little today. Got my kids involved this time . My DD did 2 chores and my DS probably say least 3 he was trying to get me to pay him. They settled for ice cream. DH went to get it with them.

SAB,, nice to hear from you.Glad all is well for you.Let e second what you said about this thread/ website. I remember the day I was diagnosed.They have me a little book and pamphlet one was BC.org. I was in shock ,scared yet numb. I thought information about what I was about to embark was the best medicine. Also the support. I remember my first post. I really didn't know what I was doing and started a new subject and was very hurt when hardly anyone responded. Then I found the lumpectomy recovery thread and found this thread when I was going through Rads and never felt like I needed a cancer support group because this is my support group. I love each and everyone of you and feel very blessed to know you even if it's only online.Thank you for making my journey through BC a little easier.

• 70charger
    edited January 2015

He has pneumonia. The chest tube was to drain off the fluid build up. They surgery is to remove infection in the lung & or remove lung if too much tissue damage. He is out of recovery & now in ICU. It is an hours drive. Freezing rain tonight with 8 inches of snow on the way. I don't drive in winter so relying on sil.

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Be safe Fran. Hope everything went well with DH.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2015

Fran - safe travel, stay overnight near hospital, rest, and know we are in your pocket {{{squeeze}}}. Sending prayers.

Cindy

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2015

Oh Fran, each day must have been frightening...the fever, the trip home, the hospitalization, the tube, the missing husband, the move, the surgery....all the while you are also sick and the weather is terrible!
    I hope you were able to stay near the hospital.  When everything is back to normal and uneventful, I hope you get to finish that vacation.

Diane, glad you had a good time and your team came out on top! 

Brookside, you are amazing pulling off that party between procedures and side effects.  I knew you could do it....now relax and recover. 

I just traveled to DC for grandson's 10th BD and we decided to come back a day early since DH is sick.  (yup, another husband fighting some kind of bug)...he drove 5 hours then had a coughing fit so bad I had to yell at him to pull over so I could drive.  I made it home about 8 PM and he went up to bed but I heard him coughing for another hour.  I hope he will get checked out tomorrow.
    My friend in Colorado just had whooping cough (she is 60+) and was sick for 3 weeks.  I truly hope that's not going around here.

Susan, so glad you are here on the thread...you have made such positive changes in your life to fend off BC...I just wish I could put it all together like you did!  Good diet changes, interesting new cuisine, lots of exercise ... Come on, you need to write this all down!  It is inspiring but sounds so impossible to me!  I am sure you started small until it became your lifestyle.  Such good ideas you have shared.

Has anyone heard from Joan (Big D)?  If so, please share update if possible.

Happy New Year, everyone...hoping for good health, happy families, and peace for all.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2015

Fran, you and hubby will be in my prayers. I know exactly how frightening this all is from a previous episode with ex husband. Suffice to say, he came out of it with flying colors. Hubby is in the right place.

Joan, Pertussis (whooping cough) is making a HUGE comeback in the US with boomers and it is actually wreaking havoc. I just went for my yearly physical and doctor not only gave me my ten year tetanus booster, but she added a pertussis booster and told me it was a very nasty illness to get and is worse in vulnerable populations (i.e. us older folks over 50) so hopefully hubby will NOT have that and if he does, he has a mild case. He is also in my T&P today.

Love to all and once again , prayers for a healthy New Year. While money is always important (especially when it is in short supply like it is in my world these days) our health is truly the ONLY thing we really need most.

xoxoxo

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2015

I have written two posts and both have absolutely vanished into thin air!  I did nothing, had yet to hit the 'submit' button and both vanished before my eyes!  I am not This one might vanish as well.  Grrrrrrr............

Worried about so many sick friends/spouses and sending much love to all who are struggling.

I am so blessed to know you.  You ladies are all spectacular in so many ways and always offer up help to anyone in need.

Going to post this little short one before it goes away too.

Happy New Year to all.......I love you ladies so much.

• edwards750
    edited January 2015

That happened to me too Janis. A long post that just vanished.

Fran so sorry about your DH. Sending prayers your way. Freezing rain is scary. I have driven on it but was a nervous wreck. Be safe.

My mother went through a painful time with my dad too. It takes its toll. How could it not? Caregivers need support too.

Diane

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2015

Fran, what an absolute nightmare you've been going thru. Totally scary. I do hope hubby is doing well with his surgery and is now (finally) on the mend. How quickly this all developed. And I also hope you have been able to throw off the bug you caught. ((Hugs))

Cindy...I'm so very very happy to hear your hubby has no more cancer. I think all of us were fearing the worst..and this is the best it could be. Hope you had an extra special New Year Celebration.

Brookside you're sure a trouper. I don't know what the ERCP procedure is, but to spike a high fever like that and still host a party is amazing. Glad you could get thru it.

I'm glad so many have gotten their all clear check ups. Now if we can just get these hubby's well and back to work it would be just perfect.

Sab, Janis, Joan, Gigil...I think we're the only active ones left from our original group (did I miss anyone?). And I agree with not only you but everyone else here...this thread provides so much for each of us, even if we are frequently absent, like I am. It's great to know each of you.

The Holidays were reasonably relaxed for me, but still managed to be emotionally charged, fun, bittersweet, confusing and happy all at the same time. Anyone else ever feel that way? I will be interested to see if the holidays next year bring as many changes in "traditions" for me as this year has.

On the good news front, I think we might have turned the corner on healing this nasty infected area on my moms shin. Being 96 they all say well...she has "fragile" skin, which is certainly true at this point. For over 3 months the doctors have been treating it, but it got even more infected about a month ago, and I've been spending generally 3 and sometimes 4 times a week going up and picking her up and taking her to the doctor, which is about a 60 mile round trip for me. The whole thing wore her down, and her short term memory loss has become more pronounced which has been even more of a challenge. It's hard to try to remind her of the care procedures etc. when they get changed every other day and within 3 minutes she can't remember any instructions she was just told. A challenge, like I said. But....I think we've now licked the infection, and it looks like the wound might be close to being healed, so thank goodness for that,

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy new year and perhaps I'll even be able to check in a bit more often....

• 70charger
    edited January 2015

Thank you  for your support. Yesterday his breathing tube was removed as well as his arterial IV. They also had him sit in a chair for awhile. Met with infectious control. His nose swab was positive for influenza. They feel it turned bacterial causing the pneumonia. He will be on IV anti biotics  for 2 weeks then oral for 1 week. Also met cardiologist. something in his bloodwork leads them to believe he had a mild stoke or heart attack while under. If anything needs to be done , it will be while he is there. He is very weak & tired. In a lot of pain, chest tube still in. They are talking of moving him to regular room. Not out of the woods by a long shot, but I'll take all this as good news.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2015

I am a little behind the eight ball here but also want to thank all of you and let you know how much I appreciate your advice and support. You have all made my personal journey so much easier. It's amazing how many "friends" will disappear when you have BC but I am thankful for all of the new friends I have out here.

Wishing you all a lifetime of health and happiness.

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Oh Fran, I'm sorry. At least they know what their dealing with. I will pray he recovers quickly. Sounds like he's in good hands. Was he under the weather before the trip to Vegas? Those airplanes are like germ factories. Although flu is everywhere.

I hope it gets better for your hubby soon.

• justmejanis
    edited January 2015

, Dogs, Golden Lover that you are, yes, we do form very special bonds here,  I love that.

I am about ready to pull my hair out but it is falling out so badly I have to resist.  I was trying to respond to Fran's update and as I typed whole sentences vanished.  Then the mouse cursor just went to random sentences and inserted my new lines there.  It is doing it on my e-mail too.  I have no idea what could be causing this.  So I was just finished up with a post I struggled to keep going, and it vanished.  I am not computer savvy at all so I have no idea what could cause a problem like this.

Fran thinking of you and your DH and sending you all happy thoughts for a quick recovery.  How scary.  This is the short version.

Sew, I am always happy when you check in.  I think you are right, we are part of the early pioneers for sure on this thread.  We lost a few members who simply moved on, our Kate who sadly passed.  I expect I will stick around for awhile.  I am so thrilled we have so many new members to add to our family here.

I know how relieved you are that your mom's skin condition has turned the corner and heading toward healing now.  Great news.  The short term memory is so hard.  My dad's companion tries to e-mail me daily with updates.  He is really getting bad and is just 83.  Yesterday I asked him if he knew what year it was.  He told me it was 20 something.  When pressed to narrow it down, he said 'what difference does it make.  I am retired and not going anywhere'.  I couldn't argue with that logic.

So happy '20 Something' my friends!

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Dogs, sorry I didn't see your post before. I agree this thread has offered a lot of support for me also and I feel blessed to have such a great group of friends.

Janis, that had to have been hard to hear your Father didn't know the year but he has a point doesn't he?

We have a member who is MIA. Runfree where are you? The last post was 10-28 and she was telling us about her husbands reoccurring bladder cancer. I hope all is well and we miss you Runfree.

• justmejanis
    edited January 2015

Josie great detective work on locating RunFree's last post.  I can't remember why I read on the previous page.  I have to write little notes to myself so my posts make some kind of sense.  I sure hope she and DH are okay.  Always a new worry.  Please post RunFree if you read this.  A short note will suffice.  We just want to know how you and DH are doing.

I feel so odd when I talk to my dad.  His friend answers the phone and always has to remind him who I am.  He is that bad.  Our talks are not deep, very generic.  He will ask always about the weather and report on his.  He often asks how the family is and I give him pretty basic replies without using names.  I don't want to confuse him further.  He frequently tells me odd things like they just got back from vacation had a great trip but traveling makes him pretty tired.  All that unpacking and laundry to do.  He hasn't been on vacation in years.  It is really sad.  Bawling

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

I sent RunFree a Christmas PM. She responded that all is well. She's been extremely busy and just stepped away from BCO, at least for the time being. Not to worry, ladies.

So happy to hear your hubby is out of surgery, done with some of his tubes, and galloping toward a regular room, Fran. I guess it'll be a while before things get back to normal, but he sure has made progress. Rapid progress. Once he's in a regular room, I'll bet you can stay with him, and that should be a big relief, snowy roads and all.

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Janis I know how upsetting that is to see your Father slipping. I went through that recently with my dad. He took almost 3-4 days before he was mentally back to himself. I know before surgery he was sharp as a tack. He is still really weak and uses a walker to walk. But he got his mental state back.

Brookside thank you for that update. I'm glad RunFree is ok. I was worried.

• justmejanis
    edited January 2015

Thanks Josie.  Sadly my father will never get better.  I am so glad that yours will.  Between all the anesthesia and pain meds they gave him it is not surprising he had some short term memory loss.  It takes several days for the drug fog to lift.  My dad's is permanent, and getting worse.  While he doesn't really know me when we talk I still enjoy chatting with him.  He was a very terrible father and did a lot of things many people would think unforgiveable.  It took me a long time to come to peace with much of it, and sometimes I still struggle.  Still I visualize his lonely existence now, both his sons lost to him forever many years ago.  They didn't forgive and both died without ever making peace with him.  My sister and I have worked at our relationship with him.  It has never been easy, and for many years more difficult for her.  She thought he liked me better.  I don't know.  I saw him more because he happened to like most of the places I lived so would visit me.  He has no relationship at all with any of his 7 grandchildren. 

Wow I guess I really needed to let that go.  I worry about him now all the time.  Cherish the good times with your dad Josie.  I bet he was a great dad!

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Thanks Janis, I'm glad you were able to share that. I'm sorry your relationship wasn't good and he wasn't there for you when you needed him.

My dad and I weren't always real close. But when I got older our relationship changed I guess for the better. I'm still much closer to my mother than him but I really do love him.

• edwards750
    edited January 2015

Okay I just lost a long post too. What the heck?

Sorry about your dad Janis. It's gut wrenching when we see our parents start to lose their memories. My MIL has Alzheimer's. Hasn't spoken in 10 years. Heartbreaking. I wish your brothers and dad could have made peace but sometimes it just isn't possible. It took me a long time to forgive and forget. Sounds like you needed to say it out loud. I know it hurts.

Glad RunFree is okay. I guess we all get a little nervous after losing Kate.

Have a good week everyone! Bitter cold here. We southerners aren't used to this. We have winters but nothing like the rest of the country does.

Diane

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Diane, we're getting bitter cold weather too. I think the high on Wednesday will be like 10°.

My dad is coming home on Tuesday and hopefully will do ok.

But got some bad news tonight about my Aunt she's in the hospital with severe pneumonia. The woman practically raised me at times when my mother was sick (depression) . But she doesn't believe in doctors and definitely not flu shots. Luckily she gets her mammogram. But when she called her DD and asked her to take her in to the ER she knew she was bad. She loves to gamble and runs,runs ,runs to her kids,grandkids, babysitting and doing for everyone even at 82 yrs old.Those casinos are just streaming with germs especially at this time of year. I'm worried and hope she does ok. She's having abnormal heart rhythms too. Please /