Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited January 2015

Brookside, how's your rash? Radiation recall? That's not something to look forward to. But I wonder if it's only if you had a rash during Rads. My skin got red but never a rash. Hope it improves soon. Did you say it itches?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2015

Redheaded and Edwards, to tell the truth, I'm not sure what radiation recall is, but I'm pretty sure I've got it. As far as I can understand, it's when something (more radiation, I think) prompts the skin to remember its rads trauma and turn red or bumpy or whatever. Right now I have itchy little bumpies, very much like I had at the end of rads, and they are clustered below my collarbone and above my boob, right where most of my reddening and bumps were, almost two years ago. I'm using cortisone cream, and if it doesn't get better soon, the NP said she'd take a look (not that there's anything they can do about it).

Yes, DogsNL, I'm fine. I'm just someone who keeps manufacturing gallstones long after the gallbladder has been jettisoned. About every ten years, it seems like a good time to really do the diagnostic thing. Pain in the upper right quadrant can actually be zillions of things other than a bile duct event, and they wanted to rule out some of the more likely suspects. I think they also wanted to rule out nasty mets. Both the ER doc and my pcp, who, as it happened, was on scene, taking his turn as hospitalist, know I've been through a lot in the past few years (nasty divorce) and I think the two of them together were on the hunt. Luckily, all was clear. The good thing is I've had scans and look-see's that no onc would have ordered and I now know all sorts of places I really do not have mets. And I've lost 15 pounds. Between the wonky liver enzymes (took a month to go back to normal) and the suspiciously high glucose readings, I've been eating like an absolute saint. As it happens, my BFF wound up in the ER too, with a different issue. Her liver enzymes are high, and her glucose really high, so I have a buddy to keep me (and her) eating properly, hopefully for the long term: Low fat, low simple carb. Sad.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Redheaded, I love the idea of matching your lipstick to your tongue. That's about what I've been doing, (buying, at least, but not using) but did not know why.

Cindy, yikes! Who'd have thought it would turn out to be more an agility course for you than the pup? Totally unfair! Pup needs to double back on that tunnel thing. Maybe twice. Poor hubby still in bed. So difficult for both of you! Congrats on great exam. I hope you didn't touch anything in that flu factory. Love the brother act.

Josie, your strength was always the patient interaction. Of course you like that better. Does the benefits lady know you have experience in her area? Maybe there's some way you could help her lighten her load and make her smile? It's always tough being the new kid on the block. Do you know anything about the person you replaced? Maybe she and the 15-year harpy were a team?

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2015

Brookside---you bumps don't look "velvety" do they?  If they do, get yourself to the MO ASAP.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2015

Red - we are radiant...glow:)))

Check out Casting for Recovery in your areas...TX is taking applications for April retreat...lottery, but oh so much fun!

Yippee! Happy Weekend!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Brookside, yes the lady I replaced had been there the longest. She actually trained the receptionist we have now. I think she had been there 25 yrs maybe. I know pretty darn long. I only met her once. Very sweet lady. Maybe a little too laid back. She definitely put patients at ease when she was talking to them.I think she quit to sell jewelry in a family friends beauty shop. Not sure how that worked for her.But I wish her the best.

Today went much better. I think the other receptionist just handle stress too well. She's fine and fun when not stressed. I also ate lunch with the lady from GI dept. She's very nice and very shorthanded. Rooming patients for 3 Docs while somehow training 2 temps to help.

I think the thing that helped my situation is these 2 women are best friends and like to go to lunch together. So I told them to go ahead. We have to have someone answering phones at all times.I took my lunch when they came back.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2015

I didn't have a rash from Rads either Josie...luckily.

Redhead - what does it mean if the bumps are velvety?

New kid on the block I'd tough Josie but I'm sure it will get better. I made a drastic change in my career and boy I second guessed myself for awhile. In retrospect I made the right decision. I went from a safe and secure State job knowing lots of people and a good job to a job in private industry. Talk about culture shock plus I got married again during that time. It was a def roll of the dice but you know sometimes you have to take chances.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    edited January 2015

It could be a local reoccurrence of Inflammatory breast cancer....a rash that is open and won't heal is definitely a cancer possibility.  Swelling, bumps under the skin or on the surface, orange peel textural changes, etc.  should all be checked out.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2015

Hello dear ladies!

Sorry I keep skipping in and out. I'm trying to read whenever I can.

Fran, I was horrified to read about your ordeal! I hope that your news continues to be good and that no more extreme intervention is needed! How scary it must have been.

Joan, you think too much of me :-) I struggle every day to stay on track with diet and exercise. It definitely does not come naturally to me. I'm sorry to hear your trip was cut short and that DH was ill. I know how you treasure your family time.

Janis, it's so sad about your dad. You are the keepers of his memories now...and I am quite sure he still feels the love.

Good to hear about Run, glad all is well with her.

Cindy, another sister and dh who aren't feeling well! Feel better quickly. I am always so inspired and uplifted by your notes. As a matter of fact I did hike today, and I am going to my writer's group tomorrow to continue slogging on through this never-ending project.

GigiL, I loved the picture! 3D mammo is good--more peace of mind. Did I miss your posting of excellent results yet? I had to skim last page.

April, I want you to know that I still have some ridges and pain after several years so it's not completely uncommon. Hope it's nothing...mine is nothing,

Just got my reminder to schedule annual mammo. As usual, fingers crossed and forge ahead!

We snuck of to Boulder to meet up with family over the break. Sled riding, snow-shoeing, and I tried cross country skiing for the first time. Lots of fund but record breaking low temperatures and snowfall there made me extremely happy to land back in California, even in a wind storm. DH came home with bruised ribs from a sledding catastrophe, and I bought a stomach bug on the plane I think. Welcomed the New Year hugging the porcelain throne. Back to normal now.

Take care all!

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Do you know someone who was faced with that issue, Redheaded? I don't think I have anything other than the same itchy little pinheads that showed up toward the end of rads. Also, I had my annual visits with both my bs and derm in December, and all was good then. If it's not all gone in another week or so, I'll go see the rads NP. Come to think of it, I'm seeing my pcp on Friday. I'll give him a shot at it then.

SAB, you are definitely in a whole 'nother class than I am. I'm celebrating winter by hugging my couch. Snowshoes sit in the closet. Skis were tossed long ago. Sledding always terrified me; I can't even watch my grandkids do it without imagining all sorts of unpleasant outcomes. The book I've always wanted to write has never, never reached my typing fingers. Maybe if I joined a writers' group? Oh. hat would interfere with my relationship with the couch. I guess that's a nogo too.

• Redheaded1
    edited January 2015

Yes I did Brookside.  It wasn't a good outcome either.  I'm not saying that is what your rash is, I'm just saying don't ignore it or discount it. 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2015

OK I wrote a post - lost it.  I started over and changed it a bit.  LOST IT.
    So, as of right now,  I read back the page I missed....was sick, working and busy last week and to bed very early.  DD from MA came for the week end to a funeral for her husband's grandmother (98).  She brought the kids, did the 1.5 hour funeral mass, family gathering, etc.  Awkward due to their pending separation.  So she and kids came and stayed at my house and I just loved it.  They have not been to my house for the holidays in many years.  I left my decorations up for the girls (4, 7) and they had such fun.  We had tea parties, pancakes, and watched 3D movies. 

So, for the 3rd time, congrats to the ladies who have anniversaries; congrats to well-behaved pups; hugs and prayers to those who have upcoming tests (never had a 3D or an MRI here); and more hugs for all who have loved ones who are ill or aging. 
    My Dh is getting better finally.  (no whooping cough - just took the codeine syrup and Zpack.)
    Brookside, I had the same rash during rads; used steroid cream.  I do get nervous when I get bumps or soreness.  I also have chronic Mondor's condition which is inflamed veins under the skin in the abdomen.  (occurs with BC)

OK gonna post - I have a bad feeling that if I do not, it will also disappear.

• joan811
    edited January 2015

Janis, that is a tough situation with your Dad...hope you get to visit soon.
    Cindy, DH is having such a slow recovery...is there a prognosis or are they still figuring things out? 
    April, I hope DH gets a definitive dx and a plan.  You are a busy lady....
    Josie, I hope your Dad is recovering on schedule.  I have also had those moments when I just knew I should go to see someone.  We can't always be everywhere.  And everything for a reason, I think.

Gigi, you look great (hide your stress well).  No red lipstick for me.  I have always preferred soft translucent lip colors that are just a bit darker than my lips and have a little shine or sparkle.  Whenever I wear lipstick, I feel it ages me for some reason.  And anything goes on the toes!
    Best of luck with the closing tomorrow.  You can soon breathe  sigh of relief. 

We did a mortgage adjustment and had to sign about 50 pages - the closer came to my office so it was easy.  We lowered our interest rate and chopped 5 years off the mortgage with a lower payment.  If anyone hasn't looked into HARP, I recommend it.

I highlighted my hair and nobody noticed except the hairdresser who charged me twice what I usually pay.  But I love it because in winter, my hair which I thinning from AI drugs is very flat.  The highlights give more body.  I wont do it in summer because I am in the sun and it all bleaches out.

SAB, sorry you ended up sick after your trip.  Grrrrrr not fun at all. 
    I'm with Brookside....well, after cleaning all day Friday and spending Saturday with DD and kids, today I just vegged all day.  Watched football and DH took us for a ride to look at the beach but no hiking.  Certified couch potato today.

Dogs, Red, Diane, hope things are going well.
    Shout out to Run Bunkie and of course, Big D Joan.  Am worried to not hear from Joan.

OK 2nd post in the books....

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Thanks for alert, Redheaded. I'm sorry someone close to you was faced with such a horrid progression. I hope skin mets are very, very unusual and that none of us will be faced with them. You are so right to point out how easy it is to overlook an apparently insignificant irritation when a brief show and tell at the doctor's office is what is called for. I think most of us have decades-long histories of bringing alarming symptoms to our doctors only to find that they are perfectly normal. It's kind of tough to turn around and start asking our docs to pay attention to everything.

Joan, that family is stil in the process of separating? How very painful for everyone! Sounds like you enjoyed the heck out of your visit! Congrats on the shorter, sweeter mortgage payments. Now that's a New Year's treat!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2015

Joan I have had trouble with posts disappearing as well.  It is extremely annoying after a long one to have it head to cyberspace.  I wonder where they go?

For everyone with colds and flu, take good care.  I think you all know the drill.  Lots of rest and juices and hot tea or whatever makes you feel better.  Knock on wood I rarely get sick.  DH with his compromised lungs is such a worry.  We try so hard to avoid coming into contact with germs, washing hands and always wiping down those pesky grocery carts.  We have been really lucky so far not to get any bugs.  I hope everyone feels much better soon.

I know the weather doesn't help either.  Out here in Idaho it hasn't been nearly as bitter as the east.  We have heavy fog every day and our temps hover in the low 30's  It is more depressing than anything without any sunshine for weeks.  Spring will be here soon enough...we have to hang onto that!

Cindy I think about your DH and hope he is much better soon. It has been a tough time for you.  Congrats on the work with the pupper.  Sounds wonderful.

Josie being the new kid on the block is always hard.  In time you will be a regular part of the crew and no longer the new girl.  Your have a strong work ethic and that will be appreciated by others.

Joan I am so glad you got to spend quality time with the grandkids.  How special.

Brookside I hope you can get to the bottom of the little bumps.  Probably something benign but good to have it checked.  I am struggling with some winter depression.  I am terrified of falling and we have freezing fog and a thin layer of ice on everything outside.  I can't make myself do much right now. 

I envy all of you ladies who are exercising and eating well.  I am in a terrible slump and can't make myself do it.  I do take an anti depressant but feel that it is no longer helping.  I know I need to go back the NP who prescribes my anti depressants.  I think I need something else.  Does anyone else here lack motivation?  I feel so badly that I can't seem to help myself right now!  This has been a rough winter.  :(

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Janis((hugs)), I hope you call that NP and get something to help your antidepressant work a little better. Fog would depress me to.I hope you get some Sun soon. Maybe light therapy.

Joan, sounds like you had a good time with your GDs . You needed to relax a little. I know what you mean by hairdressers. I like mine but now that I have to pay(she used to barter her services) I won't be going as often. No one noticed my cut and color either.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2015

Hi! Just a quick note to,let you know the mammo and physical exam were perfect. No problems. I also had an appointment with my PCP. Lab work came back improved. I have been trying hard to eat right and exercise. I am happy to report it is paying off. Whew! So relieved!

I have had a bit if winter eczema over some of my rads site. I think it was you Brookside, who mentioned skin problems. I have gotten this every year and it goes away in the summer. I use cortisone cream on it. I am an itchy soul in many skin areas in the winter. No fun.

Hi to everyone. I will post more later. I have read all above posts. No closing yet. We are hoping for this week. We are leaving on Sunday for Florida, regardless. I am trying very hard to be patient. I will check in soon. Much relieved

• joan811
    edited January 2015

Hey it is quiet here. Cant sleep/ am on my phone. Just took benadryl which is not good because i have to get ip in 2,5 hours.

Gigi i get confused- yes you mormally go to FL this time of year but what about your new place? Do you still have to move things? How do you rember where you are?! How long will you be in FL? I could use a ride on Space Mountain...

So glad for your good reports. And for seeing PCP and working on the diet and exercise.

Janis I am finishing quiet days at work and have had a lot of comfort food and sleeping in. But at least i get out every day now and have been traveling too. My new mandatory mail order drug service refuses to carry my preferred generic of anti- anxiety drug. I am trying to get an override because my CVS ordered a supply for me but insurance wont cover it even though it is generic. I dont want to go through trial and error again. Having sleep disorder waking every night. Grrrrr.

I see new MO today and I have not been good taking vitamins and D so I will probably fail that test. A year ago I got mad about feeling unhealthy and I lost 30'lbs. Gained back half and 'holding

:-/

Anyone know a good healthy eating theead? I really just need a cook.

Janis I do not like the fog either. I need to see the blue sky or stars.

Speaking of stars, there is a comet visible this winter. On clear nights it has been too cold to stay out to find it. I hope to take my students up on the roof at work to see it at night. Last fall when I took my class up there we found a half naked guy in the stairwell. Made a memory and a lot of laughs.

Yes DD's separation has not happened yet. He doesnt do anything about finding a place plus he works at DD's company since he never found a job (didnt look) for over a year. My older Gd is falling apart.

We will get through. I had hope for them; but not anymore. So I will support my DD and try to see the kids more. We have so much fun and it is good to see the older one smile. DD will turn 40 this year. She was born with one lung and has akways pushed hard all her life. I worry about her health and want this stress to be over. She does well but stress is not good.

She is putting her beautiful house (finally feels like home) on the market. She will have to split assets and pay alimony. it will be hard for the kids to move again. They asked me to come live with them. (Cant do that)

I try to stay upbeat. I have a ladies group therapy weekly and some days it is "brutally confrontational". But we have formed strong bonds.

Hope your Tuesday goes well.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Yes, Gigi, I've been wondering whether winter might have something to do with my little rash. I was thinking that maybe as I keep my heat really low and wear lots of layers, that something could be irritating my skin. It does look like folliculitis, and i think is getting better..

Insomnia is the pits Joan. Only thing worse is waking up only a couple of hours after taking benedryl. Maybe your husband will have very, very strong coffee ready when you arise? Your daughter's situation is really trying, and the resolution will have some negatives too. That entire family is so lucky to have a ball of energy (you) to cheer everyone up and just kind of spread love all around.

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2015

Hope this cold weather isn't causing many problems for all of you.  We have more ice than snow, which is unusual.

Stayed up last night and watched the Buckeyes win the national championship,  then I was out and about early for my first post-surgery mammo.  I was very nervous!!!  All is fine, but I do need to go back in 6 months.  I had a cyst on the good side which the surgeon marked with a clip and the radiologist wants watch for any changes.  Does that sound right???

Wishing the best for everyone!!

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Congrats, Gigil on the good Mammo .Good for you eating better and exercising.

Joan, sorry you can't sleep sweetie. That's no fun. Have you tried Melatonin?

That's a shame about your DD. Her soon to be ex works at her company? That's a hard situation. I think it's harder on the kids than anyone else.

The house situation is probably the right thing to do . But it's still a shame. Thankfully I have not ever been in that situation and don't want to be but I'm just assuming reducing your assets is probably smart.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2015

Yea Gigi...so glad the reports are good. Hope your closing happens soon. Has to be unnerving. That's interesting about HARP. I am going to check into it. We have a very low interest rate right now but I would love to chop some years off.

Joan - I can only imagine how tough it is on your DD and the kids and how worried you are. How awkward is that working for the same company. Both myself and DH have Xs...He has 3 sons with her and I have a daughter with someone else. He and I have a son together. I know yours, mine and ours. Anyway I remember the D and the kids were struggling big time. They are resilient and in time were doing okay. It really helps if neither parent is hostile or badmouths the other. We had a little of that early on. She has to pay alimony? Ouch. Boy have times changed. I hope the dr can prescribe something to help you sleep.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Ohio fan, ice huh? That's miserable. I'll take snow anyday over ice.congrats on the good Mammo!!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2015

Ohiofan,

Yes, that "let's watch and see" sounds right to me if you've got a cyst in the "good" breast. I'd guess the surgeon and radiologist both feel it's nothing to worry about but since you've had cancer they all now take things extra specially carefully. I had mammos every 6 months and ultra sounds about every 3 months for 3 years after my treatment ended. As the surgeon put it, I have normal lumpy bumpy breasts but they wanted to be very very sure. I've finally graduated to mammos once a year.

I'm not sure how the surgeon marked your cyst with a clip, did you have a needle biopsy on the good breast? If so, I'm so sorry to hear that, what a scary time for you but it sure sounds like they feel you don't need to worry....so that's a good thing

Hi everyone .....not much time to post. Moms infected leg which had just about completely healed has now become infected again......back to dr. Visits 3 time a week....hope she can throw this off soon, we've been working on this since October 20th

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Sew,I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she can fight this infection.

I wanted to take this opportunity to give everyone an update on my FIL. He's doing so well since his stem cell transplant that he was able to get away with all his brothers. His one brother lives in Florida and They went down to visit him and fish.

imageimage

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

josie, that's amazing....good for him and what a way to celebrate.

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Sew, is your Mom going to a wound clinic for her leg?

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2015

Hi everyone - catching up on posts - so good to read all of them and love the pics.

Not much to report on my end - just waiting on Feb reconstruction.  I am out here reading all the time so even though I don't post much, I am keeping up on all of your activities!

And MAN, is it cold in New England! 

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Hi Josie,

She's still seeing the Doctor and nurse practitioner each time. They are trying to avoid the wound clinic if they can. On the 31st of Dec her leg looked just great, almost healed. I decided (mistakenly apparently) that she could go for what I though was her final visit by herself on the 8th. By the 8th she was back to full skin breakdown, a "seeping" area about 4" square and more redness. the only good thing was she wasn't horribly swollen. the problem with her going to the appt. by herself is she didn't know the leg had gotten so septic again, and didn't understand why they'd put the unna boot back on and I of course didn't know she was back to square one so couldn't help remind her to elevate her leg etc. So, now I've intervened again, and have spoken to all the nurses at the place she lives about what the dressing on her leg is to consist of. She is very allergic now to just about anything you put on that poor leg. Anyway, it's pretty much of a nightmare but she does feel better, which is good. Thanks for asking

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Dogs....do your dogs have little snow shoes? Saw them once and thought they were cute, but that most dogs would probably object to wearing them!

Janis.....I'm sorry to hear the depression is getting you again this foggy winter. I do hope they can adjust your meds to give you some relief. I did think of a full spectrum light (in the middle of the night when I do my best thinking). Do you have one? Ott lights have a full spectrum range but are pricy, but you can also buy single light bulbs which have it. Amazon has them. They have helped my BIL who has SAD disease and lives in England (silly place for him to be as there's never any sun there). One by your chair might help. good luck, and here's to the sun coming out......

Joan...you need some sleep girl! I do hope your daughter gets that house sold quickly....that should solve her living arrangement with her "gonna be x". Although she might find it cheaper to let him live there than start paying alimony. Women sure have come a long way, haven't they? Alimony indeed. Perhaps that's how the men have felt all these years though.....

Gigil.....some day you and your belongings are all going to live in the same place (or 2) without storage units in between...here's to that day. Florida sounds a good place to be with all this cold. It's even cold here in Ca. cold for us anyway.

Cindy.....are you still running with the dogs? I need a dog. I need exercise. I've let myself get lazy this winter and despair that I'll every be back up to speed. Hope your hubby is showing some improvement by now.

April, Run Free, Brookside, Ohiofan, Edwards, Sab, Redheaded, BigD Joan, and everyone......thinking of all of you...keep well