Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2015

Gee whiz, Sew, what is wrong with those nurses that, with the infection on the rampage again, they didn't send her right off to the doctor! And call you. Are they avoiding the wound clinic because they think it might stress her? Seems to me that this little relapse could indicate that it might be time. I'm so sorry she, and you, have to deal with this. Ongoing Infections can be so well, ongoing.

Josie, love the picture of the boys. All one family, for sure. It's probably so difficult to get everyone together, and such a wonderful thing that they did it this winter. And that's one big fish!

Dogs, happy waiting for the reconstruction. Meanwhile, hug a dog, or three!

I'm off to Burlington, MA (near Boston) for a meeting tomorrow. Staying in a hotel tonight, and hoping to find a lovely mall in the area, shopaholic that I am.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2015

Oooh, Brookside, Boston shopping, what a treat! We'll just ignore the work part! Actually it was the nurses at the Chancellor who blew it...they did realize Mom had a new allergy and changed what they were dressing it with, they just didn't let me know and Mom didn't understand. the Kaiser people were aghast I gather which is why they put the unna boot on immediately. Anyway, I've talked with the nurses at the chancellor and I think we're good, at least until tomorrow when she goes back to the Dr. Generally she gets good care at the Chancellor, but I think they credit her with more memory than she truly has which is why I never found out the severity. Anyway, yes, ongoing infections are definitely ongoing...

I just finished my walk, although I'm so out of shape I really only did half of it. but I'm going to treat myself by heading in to my sewing room anyway. How's that for positive re-inforcement?

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2015

Sew, I have so many UFO's in my project closet......I started a block of the month and a mystery quilt in my Quilt Guild (In Sept) and I haven't made the first block---have the pieces cut for the first part of the mystery quilt, and that is it.  However, I continue to add to the fabric stash.....

Grr I know how that leg stuff goes.  My dad and I have been warriors with his.  He now wears "Juxta-lite" wraps on both legs at 30% compression.  He was just discharged from Home Health nurse coming once a week to kind of keep his legs in check and the discharge nurse came Tues ( I wasn't there) and she did not change his legs, nor take an INR......so medicare got ripped on that visit....not sure why she even had to come.

Congrats to all who have had milestone anniversaries and clean check ups.  I too am confused about how the surgeon put a clip in the non-surgical breast---did they biopsy the cyst.   I had a clip in my surgical breast from the biopsy--it marked it for the placement of the guidewire and surgeon, but when the lump came out, so did the clip.  They did tell me at my biopsy that if it came back benign, the clip would remain as a marker for future mammo's....

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Redheaded.... Sorry your dad has been thru the same wringer with these leg wounds. Fortunately Mom doesn't have diabetes, but she is 96 so her skin is quite fragile, and now irritated by anything put on it, but having been covered up, smothered, compressed, and fussed with for so long, I think I too would be irritated! Good luck with your UFO's.... I carefully cut a piece of fabric wrong the other day, and not much hope of working around the problem, so had to order 3 new pieces of fabric because of course, I was cutting 3 pieces at once. Of course, I really only needed less than a quarter yard, but I ordered 1/2 yard pieces. We need to feed that stash!

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited January 2015

Wow!. Guess we will have to watch for skin breakdown as we age.  Those infections are certainly nasty. Doesn't the boot rub??  Hope things turn around soon.  My mother is slowing down, but still drives at 85. 

Sew, what projects are you involved in now?  Wish I could quilt.  I have a bunch of fabric, but that is as far as I've gotten with quilting.  Maybe some day....

Redhead, yes, the surgeon who did the tumor biopsy put a clip where she removed a cyst and calcium deposit in the "good" side.  Glad to hear that this is a "normal" thing to happen.  Whew!  The mammo yesterday looked like there were clips around the surgical site.

13 degrees right now, but it is supposed to hit 40 on Saturday.  It will seem like a heat wave!

Best to all!

Ohio

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Ohio...I don't know if I still have clips in or not, but it sounds like you're going to set off the alarms next time you fly....just kidding. My latest quilt is a midwinter reds with cream and is a nine patch around a center square with nine 8 pointed stars. Will probably take me a year to finish but I don't worry about that. I'll post a picture of my last projects when I find time...

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited January 2015

Sew, I hope they get that infection straightened out on your Moms leg. Maybe the nurses will take better care of it.

Ohiofan, I believe the una boot is actually a wet wrap that they wrap around the wound . It's supposed to help it heal and not stick to the bandages.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Josie, yes the unna boot is an interesting wrap. The first layer is zinc (soothing to the skin and promotes healing) impregnated gauze about 4" wide. It's wrapped from the toes to the knee. Over that is a layer of absorbent cotton, also about 4" wide and covers the zinc gauze. Over that they put a sticky gauze or ace bandage looking layer, also 4" which sticks to itself and forms an protective barrier for the whole thing. It's also called a cast under layer as they use it for casts. There is compression on the whole thing and it doesn't allow the limb to swell any more than it has, and will flex smaller as the swelling subsides. It is usually left in place for 5 to 7 days for wound care. And that's probably more than you'd ever want to know about unna boots

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Yikes.....I called the nurse to let her know she didn't have to change Mom's bandage as we were going to the Dr. Apparently Mom had a non-injury fall last night and this morning Natalie (the nurse) found Mom sitting looking at her feet. Natalie asked her what she was doing and Mom said, " Looking at this blood running down my leg." Natalie says it looks very superficial but she put a bandage on it.........I just hope we aren't going to start this all over again with this leg.

• josie123
    edited January 2015

My goodness Sew, when it rains it pours.

I hope it's not too serious.

We had a crazy day today at work.The other MA that works in back called in today. So I was working as an MA.I really enjoyed it although it was crazy busy this afternoon.

I

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2015

Hi Yall

Hope the silence means yall are busy enjoying life :D

Dogs - sending good thoughts your way as you prepare for reconstruction in February

Sew - hope mom is doing better and no repeats...everyone act normal...infection gone

Josie - crazy day, but glad you like being a MA...makes the day fly by...hope lunch time is good too

GiGil - did your house close? Warmer days in FL...and that Happiest Place...oh, Mickey

Ohio - congrats on the mamo done and the new clip...geez our normals...warming up to 40...it was 80 here today...neighbor is from Canada...back home it's -50 brr...over 100 degree difference

Joan - hope the upcoming week is easy and you got some time with those cutie pies of yours

Red - breathe and get your party dress on...1st anniversary is sweet. Congrats you did it!

Brookside - how was Boston! Were you able to get all your new stash in the car? Hope you had a great time...shop til you drop...:))). Post pics of your new items!

Bunkie - are you staying warm?

April - how's that beautiful baby? and your hubby?

Today I fell on my left butt cheek,..hard...thankfully I didn't try and brace using my arm or hit my head...dog just looked at me..car stopped to ask if I was ok...neighbor wanted security to come and take me home...I'm pretty sure my butt is bruised...my ego is definitely...will never stand on Hunters leash again...thought I could keep him constrained...but down I went...boom. I could barely move at agility today...still licking my wounds. Zometa infusion left me with new bone pain in left wrist...crazy. 2nd trip to ER with hubby..still bleeding :(((

Here's to a great week!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2015

Okay you chicks who live in the New York area - a friend and I, are planning to go on a bus tour of NYC and Philadelphia in November God willing. DH doesnt want to go. Tour is 8 days. Actually staying in New Jersey because NYC is too expensive. Really pumped about the trip so hopefully I can meet you guys while I'm there.

My nephew is getting married n September in Chicago and we are planning on our annual bus trip to Notre Dame so not sure I can pull all of this off. Lottery win would help.

Love the pics Josie. Not a fisherman but know people who are. I'll eat them just not going to go get them.

Cindy - bless your heart. I know that hurt physically and your pride. Been there, done that.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Cindy, Ouch!!! I'm sorry to hear you fell. That sounds like it hurt. Those dogs are dangerous aren't they?Remember my concussion?Sorry to hear your DH is bleeding again. Never a dull moment huh?

Diane, good for you going to NY.I'm jealous.

• josie123
    edited January 2015

My niece got married today. It was a beautiful wedding. I wanted to post a few pics but I forgot my camera. Maybe from my DH phone.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2015

Just read back...Am going to post in little bits because I always lose it somehow.
    Janis, where are you, my friend?  I hope you are doing OK.  Have you had any sunny days? 

Josie & Diane, Sew, thanks for the supportive comments about DD. It will be tough.  Yes, her DH works at her (small) company and she is happy that they are offering him a full time job with benefits.  That will help her because he will have resources.  They are mostly civil and cooperate because of the kids. He knows to give her a wide berth.
    Sew, I did suggest that she split the house and let him live downstairs – it's large enough and completely finished.  DD said NO!

Josie, that is great news that your FIL is doing so well!  Looks like a fun trip for him.

Ohio, the weather for you has not been good. 
    I am missing the big ice event in the east…Long Island is warmed by the ocean so just rain. 

More below...

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2015

This is what happens when I don't go on here for 4 days...
    Brookside, hope the rash is resolving.  I don’t feel like a ball of energy this weekend Loopy
    I got good sleep last night -was up twice but went right back. Yay! 
    (Work tomorrow…classes start)
    I hope your trip went well and you got some great holiday weekend sales. 
    Next time you are on LI, come out to the Tanger Outlets...just 15 minutes away for me.

DogNL, I can’t imagine the cold there…and snow this weekend?  Reconstruction is a positive thing to look forward to.  Let us know…we will plan a pocket party!

Sew that IS a nighmare…my mom had a spot on her leg that would not heal.  She was so stubborn about it.  It has to be tough for you to
    keep on top of things.  Allergic to most dressings?  I never heard that…it’s complicated. I found your description of the "boot" interesting.  Where is this done?

Sew and Red, I had the fabric stash for 15 years before I moved to this house.  I left the entire stash, great buttons and all, with my neighbor friend with the understanding I could go get anything I wanted any time and she could use it for herself.  I never missed it.  If I have a project I buy just what I need.  Not as much fun…

Diane, have you been to NY? November usually leaves me only one free week end (birthdays, holidays), but maybe it will be yours!    I like to drive so let me know.  Are you flying?

Josie, so glad you had a happy day with your niece’s wedding.  Did your entire family make it?  Hope your dad is  recovering well.

Cindy, oh Cindy! 
    Sorry to hear about your SEs and the pain.  And now, the fall…yes, humiliating!  I am SO careful on campus to not trip or fall…I
    did that at Stony Brook – fell flat out and not one person asked if I was OK…(I was 50+) ….They must have sensed that I wanted to be invisible!  Glad you are OK...but you need to remember who is in charge on those walks!
    Is DH home with you?  So sorry to hear about his problems.  ER trips are the worst…I hope he finds the healing path soon.

It's a gloomy day here; but it is a day off from work for MLK day.  DH & I enjoyed the football games yesterday...I have not been out of the house since Friday.  Maybe some shopping later...

• edwards750
    edited January 2015

Joan - have been to NYC once a long time ago. No we are actually going on a charter bus. It's a trip arranged by the community center. They take trips all the time. I know it's the week before Thanksgiving because we are back on the 22nd. We are going to a Broadway show and can see the Rockettes if we want to plus all the other wonderful sights like the Empire State Building, 9/11 memorial, etc. We are staying in Virginia the first night so not driving straight through. Good thing.

I will let you know details as we get closer to the date. Hopefully we can hook up and anyone else who can. Would love to meet you guys.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Cindy, so sorry your poor husband is still dealing with a bleed. Sure seems the guy has been through quite enough! And then the pup went and practiced his martial arts. Seems his good citizen designation was a bit precipitous. More drilling helping old ladies (way older than you!) cross the street. Sit gently, please.

I left for Boston right after lunch on Wednesday, but arrived totally exhausted. It was only about two hours from my office, and I should have been full of shopping excitement, but it just didn't happen, so nothing to photograph, except maybe my bank balance, which was not cannibalized.

Edwards, do please count me in on the NYC trip. Would love to meet you, do lunch and maybe a museum. And maybe a cocktail. Or two.

Joan, thanks for mentioning MLK Day. Somehow I missed that it was coming and nearly drove into the office. Really should have done so as holidays don't really apply to what I do, but what the heck, holidays don't come that often and when else can I stay home and not return phone calls and get away with it?

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2015

Hi MostlySew!

HAHAHAHA - tried snow shoes, NO DICE. 

When our little Bentley was going downhill I MADE snow socks and they worked GREAT!!!!  I will upload a few photos for you - thought I had some on my work computer but I cleaned them out!  I used BRIGHT sneaker laces so it's pretty funny......at first, Bentley and Bella were like "what the heck are you putting on my paws woman"!!!!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2015

Hi there! I am in Florida for awhile. I just got word that the house we are selling will close on Thursday or Friday this week. The house we are buying will likely close next week. I am so relieved. It feels good to be in Florida. I just decided to give up the vigil and leave. Good decision.

Cindy, hope you are okay. Falling is never a good thing. I fell on my butt two years ago. My tailbone hurt for about 18 months. It came and went, but it made me very nervous. It is fine now. I sat down hard on the wheelchair ramp on my daughter's van. It was dark, and I didn't notice she had lowered it before I hopped out. Scared her and the grandkids. I never had it x-rayed. I just had to baby it for a long time. Sorry your DH is having troubles again.

Sew, my DH had a tough spot on his leg last winter. We used EMU oil and the kind of wet dressings you mentioned. At night he used coconut oil and left it open. It healed well. We decided to try the natural route because meds weren't working. I harkened back to what it took to heal my radiated breast, and it worked. Thank God.

Joan I feel for your DD. It sounds like she is keeping her head about her and making good decisions under the circumstances. Divorce is never much fun. She sounds like a very smart and capable woman. It is so great that they appreciate your presence in their lives. I know your love soothes the whole situation.

Hi to everyone else. I will check in again soon. Just getting oriented here again. When I go through security, I get my right boob patted down now and again. Must be some clips in there, huh? Hugs, GiGi

• Birdgirl11
    Birdgirl11 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2015

I am new to posting in this thread. I finished rads on 1-5-15 and am just wondering how long it takes for the fatigue to get better. I feel fine in the morning, but by lunch I'm ready for a nap, which is hard to do at work. And if I have a busy day, the next day I'm pretty much worthless. It makes working a five day work week a huge challenge! Any input or ideas? I didn't have chemo, just the rads

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Bird girl...it does take awhile to get thru the fatigue, but soon you should find yourself with ever more increasing strength. It's just a slow process. What you're going thru sounds completely normal to me. I would recommend you continue to make certain you're drinking lots and lots of water, and that you're getting 60 to 80 grams of protein daily. Greek yogurt is a great source of protein if you haven't found it yet. gentle exercise daily while seemingly counter-intuitive actually helps too, so see if you can fit in time to at least walk daily. And when the fatigue hits, take a break at your desk for 5 or 10 minutes which is refreshing, if you can swing it. Your body has been thru a lot, both mentally as well as physically and it's going to take time to get back up to speed. I'm sure others on this thread have some other tricks they'velearned to help with the fatigue issues and will chime in too. Good luck, and hurrah for being over the worst of it....

• Redheaded1
    edited January 2015

Birdgirl--I agree with Sew----Fortunately I was retired (early)  before I was diagnosed.  Don't know what your employer would say, but could you use intermittent FMLA to work 1/2 days or every other day for a while?  I believe they can make you exhaust your own sick leave/vacation leave at the same time, but if you have it  this would be a good time to use it.  I think my fatigue only lasted a few weeks.

Is your work something they could maybe let you do a couple days a week from home?  Not everything is conducive to that, but its a thought.  

We have similar diagnosis, except I was Stage 1 Grade 1.

What hormone therapy will you be starting?  Or are you going to do any?

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Hi, Birdgirl. So happy your treatment is all in the past, but now there's the icky fatigue to deal with. You probably don't want to hear this, but it took me a very long time to recover. My onc's recommendation was to take ginseng, which has been shown to help, and seems to have made a difference for me. Have you contacted your RO? S/he does expect to hear about recovery issues, and not just about skin probems.

• Birdgirl11
    Birdgirl11 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2015

Thank you so much to everyone who responded - taking notes over here. I work in a preschool classroom as a one on one aide to a special needs boy and it's upsetting to him to have his "helper" switched around. I will be starting on tamoxifen since I'm 42 and premenopausal at this point.

I started walking after school today - just around the halls indoors, but hopefully that will at least move in the right direction for exersize. I had also started watching what I eat again since I gained enough weight over the past months that all my pants are a tight, but it sounds like I need to keep up with the protein yet for a while. I haven't contacted my RO, but meet with my MO tomorrow, so I will also ask them. Love the ginsing idea!

Thanks again, everyone - so helpful!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

Bird girl, great way to start taking control of this. I did remember another thing which really helped with my fatigue.....and that is sugar! Once I finally got serious about removing all sugar added from my diet I definitely got more energy. Now when I eat something sweet, I actually get quite fatigued.....which is sad as I do love sweets! It sounds like your job could be quite stressful at times so the walk after class may help with that too. Good luck

• Redheaded1
    edited January 2015

Ok, remember when we went searching for Kate and we found her real name and then her whereabouts?.  Well, does anyone know BIGD (Joan)'s last name?  I'll do the searching if someone can help me with the last name...

• MostlySew
    edited January 2015

red headed...I don't know it, but I think Janis might know how to contact her.....Janis, hon, you out here

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

I wish I knew something.

• edwards750
    edited January 2015

Year Gigil....I know you are so relieved to get the whole housing situation over and done with.

Welcome Birdgirl...we are all here to help you in any way we can.

MostlySew....Janis does know it. I think she has had phone conversations with her. Did I miss something? When was the last time she posted?

Diane