Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited January 2015

Cindy, I'm so sorry your husbands not doing well. I will keep him and you in my prayers.How's your injury? Are you feeling better?

Dogsneverlie, thanks I have moved on or at least tried to.

I have an update on my Aunt she apparently suffered a stroke this week. Her whole right side has no feeling. It's so sad. The hospital she's in isn't too impressive. They wanted an MRI of her head and neck but didn't have a tech that could do it since she has a pacemaker it takes a special way of doing it or something like that. They withheld her food the whole day the other day only to tell her they couldn't do it anyway since they didn't have the right tech. The hospital is a small one and we have so many good hospitals in St Louis it's sad.

I guess they are moving her to rehab soon. Maybe then I can visit. The family has been very protective of her and haven't allowed a lot of visitors.Her mother died of a stroke so she's lucky.Those is the Aunt that just had influenza and pneumonia a few weeks ago.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2015

Gee, Cindy, so absolutely sorry your poor husband has to deal with all this terrible "stuff," even with no signs of cancer. How hugely miserable for the poor guy. How hugely miserable, and terrifying, for you! And gee whiz, how weak and confused does he have to be for them to admit him? Are you taking him to the hospital for those infusions, or is a nurse coming to you? Sure wish I could go out there and give you a hand--not, come to think of it, that I'd be much help, but i just wish there were something i could do.

Josie, so sorry about your poor aunt--that's a really tough situation. I'm surprised the hospital didn't just ambulance her over to another facility that could have done the procedure. It does sound as though she is alert and aware, and that's a really good sign. High hopes for successful rehab!

Dogs, with all that snow, you must be near the coast? I was only "gifted" with a couple of inches. Here, it's snowing again. Light snow, but definitely there. I remember in elementary school we learned that we live in the temperate zone. The teacher went on to point out that this is a very, very intemperate zone. Where I live, we annually yo-yo from 20 below to above 100. In spring, we might have 30 degrees in the morning, 60 in the afternoon.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2015

Cindy - so sorry hubby is not feeling well. He and you are in my prayers too.

Josie - hope you do get to visit your aunt. She has dealt with a lot. There are hospitals here and I'm sure everywhere, that are not as efficient and caring as others. In fact I told my DH if I get really ill there is a hospital he better not take me to.

We are going to get a dose of winter weather Sunday night. Snow or ice. It's been warm so hopefully it won't stick.

The BIG game is Sunday but no real pumped about it this year. It's kind of the lesser of the 2 evils. Hope it's a good game - not like last year's SB. More interested in college basketball esp since my Irish upset Duke Wednesday night!

Have a good weekend everyone. I hope we hear from some of our regulars soon.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2015

Cindy and Josie--adding my prayers to everyone elses for your family members who are ailing and also the families who love and support them.  Had no clue you could even get anMRI with a pacemaker...technology must be changing....HA.

They are predicting some snow here Sunday---depending on how the storm tracks. it could be 4-6 of the  wet heavy stuff.  The Sun is shining beautifully right now.  Bet if we get snow Sunday and the sun comes out the ground hog will see his shadow Monday.....

A year ago today I was having my core biopsy.....man, some things are just burned into your brain forever, aren't they??

No news regarding Big D.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2015

I feel so bad that I have been away for so long.  I skimmed through the posts that I have missed, I haven't even been lurking. 

I wanted to let you know I did call Joan and left a voicemail.  I called about a week ago.  Sometimes she takes awhile to reply so this is not unusual.  I am at least encouraged that her phone is not disconnected.  I meant to post that and simply forgot.  I am so sorry for everyone who is so worried about her.  I promise if I hear from her I will post and update right away.

I am really dealing with depression.  For some reason it has smacked me hard this winter.  The situation with my dad is a constant stress.  I can't talk about it here.  His physical health is good except for those darn knees.  He is now confined to a wheelchair.  I talked to him Tuesday and he sounded good.  His short term memory is not good but he always seems to enjoy talking to me, which cheers me. 

I would love to have phone numbers of anyone who wishes to share.  I like that we keep track of each other, and long absences are scary.  Please PM if you like and I will also PM mine to anyone who would like it.  I still have a land line and my long distance charges are free.

I will come back later and catch up.  I hope everyone is okay!

Love and hugs to all my dear friends.

• Redheaded1
    edited January 2015

Janis---I feel for you with your Dad.  I too have an aging parent that I am his only family support for.  He is 87, his short term memory is bad, at times he is distrustful of everything I say and do, etc.etc.   I know what you are going thru and sometimes I think the stress is gonna kill me first and then I don't know what would happen for him.....

You do the best you can and work with your doctor and or a counselor or someone at your church with the feelings you are having.  It's just very  hard to deal with, regardless of them being nearby or far away.  Between my mom's dwindling health prior to her death and now my Dad, my poor primary care doctor has dried my tears so many times, she hugs me every time she enters the exam room and again when she leaves.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

So happy to hear from you, Janis, and that Joan's telephone is, at least, still in service. Sure hope she feels up to returning your call. And soon!

Yeah, depression is a real bummer (literal as well as figural), and nasty, cold gray winters can't be helping one little bit. I hope you have at least a little blue sky to focus on today. Here, it's gray, and, as usual, snowing. I set out for the office, but the roads were so slippery I actually turned around about half-way there. Now "working" from home.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2015

Ok, I know, I know...has been a while.

Just a quick check in to let you all know I am alive and that I really needed a break from all things BC. I am dealing with a whole lot of other "stuff" on my end and needed to regroup.

Hugs to Cindy and to Josie and to all of you who are going through tough things with family or with yourselves.

Snowing here and will snow again Sunday but today was light...already sick of it! Got 17 inches on Tues and it is so cold it might not melt until June!

Talk soon as I am at work and need to actually do some. Will stop back when I have more time! xoxoxo

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2015

So nice to hear from you April & Janis.

Hoping BigD checks in.

hoping Bunkie tears herself away from her BT to check in.

Hugs Cindy((())) Fingers crossed for hubby getting better.

I go for biopsy next Friday to see if this is Radiation Recall or skin mets. Wish me luck

Take care, hugs to all. Fran

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2015

Charger....I hate waiting for a test....I'm so sorry you have to. I'm not sure what it means if you have radiation recall, but that sure sounds much better than skin mets. Reminds me vaguely of when Run Free had that horrid skin rash that just didn't respond to anything. Fingers crossed for you

Janis....push for new meds. They must have something that can help you deal with this depression, how frustrating it must all be for you. I think it's time to become the squeaky wheel. Thanks for calling Joan, perhaps she's off visiting her sister or something good. I sure hope so.

April good to hear from you.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2015

So relieved to hear from you guys. I will share my phone # Janis. We still have a land line too. I'm so sorry about your dad. I went through that with both my parents. I agree I would talk to the dr and see if you can get meds to help with the depression. My DH takes them. His is a medical condition. They do help a lot. Thanks for letting us know about Joan. Losing Kate has made all of us a lot more anxious.

Fran - we are praying everything will be okay next Friday. Waiting is so hard.

Understand completely April. Just glad you checked in.

Redhead - what a compassionate doctor you have. My saving grace when my parents were ill was my siblings esp one of my brothers. He was a rock.

Diane

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Ladies, thanks so much for the kind thoughts about my Aunt. She is being moved to a rehab facility soon. My mom suggested I wait till she's moved to visit.

Diane were supposed to get snow Sunday too. But our weatherman aren't real accurate.

Charger, I'm hoping for good results for you.

Janis, I'm praying your able to get a handle on that depression. Luv yah!!(((hugs))

April, nice to hear your not too snowed in. My sister had so much snow in Connecticut they took a picture in the yard with snow up to their thighs.

I had a pretty rotten day . The ladies were very crabby. Especially the one lady and it just trickeled down the line when someone's having a bad day. I thought I'd let the ladies go to lunch together and that was a big mistake.They took a longer than normal lunch. And It was crazy busy on terror phones and pts coming in for spots. By the time I got to lunch they were already cleaning it up. Yes anouther pharmaceutical luncheon. Just about daily.When I got back the ladies had words and the one lady was complaining about not geting her work done and the other one states "maybe if you cut down on personal phone calls you'd get some work done" Well their no longer best friends I think. Drama, dram ,drama.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2015

Gee, Josie, with all those pharmaceutical lunches, how on earth do you keep your figure? Just one of the challenges at your job, I guess. Ahhh, if only that were the only challenge! At least, at this point, those full time checks should be making a nice impact on your budget.

I sure hope that rash is just a rash, Charger, and the biopsy will give you one big sigh of relief. Lots of surprises after BC, huh? Is the biopsy just a skin sample, or will you have the "benefit" of mammo and so forth? Hoping the very act of scheduling the test has given you some significant de-anxiety-ing.

• 70charger
    edited January 2015

Janis Thanks for trying to contact BigD. Please talk to your Dr about your depression.

Red thanks for getting the ball rolling on the hunt for Big D.  Sur hope she get back to someone.

Thank you all for your encouragement on my upcoming test. I was originally told the RO would squeeze me in and have a peek at it, but when she called back with a time & date she said they were doing biopsy. So I really have no idea what to look forward to.

We are back in the deep freeze with snow this weekend.  Stay warm & safe my friends.

• josie123
    edited January 2015

Brookside, yes we are starting to do a little better. It's going to take a while to recover financially but it will be better soon.Yesterday I almost considered quitting. Apparently there is a lot of former employees of this department that have moved on to other departments. Now I see why. But it just reminds me of high school again. These women are like 40 and 46 they need to grow up.No job is perfect and I guess you take the good with the bad.

• Redheaded1
    edited January 2015

Prediction here is for 6-10 inches of heavy wet stuff.  Winter Storm warning goes into effect at 9pm tonight; however snow route parking bans start at 5pm.  Worst supposed to come between Midnight and noon tomorrow.......I filled all the bird (squirrel) feeders in the back this a.m. and will need to pick up a couple more bags today.  Made sure both me and my dad have "provisions" so that we can both hunker down.  Hopefully his church drivers will tell him we aren't going to come take you to church in this kind of snowfall on a three wheeled walker....  He and I discussed it last night, and I think when I suggested getting his walker really wet could ruin it, he started agreeing  (He has a extremely expensive walker that I snagged at a yard sale for $20.00 YEARS before he needed it, cause I thought it was unique)  He has probably sold a dozen of them since he started using it...   I offered to stay overnight with him, but he bristled at the suggestion.....

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2015

So good to hear from Janis, Cindy, April, Charger, Dogs....and all who have been on this week.

Josie so nice of you to cover during lunch- but lesson learned- they do not seem concerned to hurry back so you can enjoy lunch too. Be careful ecause when you take over for them you could get overwhelmed. How ridiculous that the women are being so childish. Every job has its issues. Hang in there.

I hope your aunt gets the tests and care she needs.

Cindy, so sorry to hear DH is not yet turned the corner back to better health. I know you will do all you can to get him the best care.

Waiting for more snow but they downsized the snoe totals for south shore of Long Island. I dont think I will miss classes Monday unless the totals are high near work. I am getting so lazy!

Janis I had your # but couldnt find it. I'm glad you checked in.

Will check back in tomorrow.

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Joan, yes I agree. They need to grow up don't they?

Sounds like you have had your fill of snow and their expecting more? Bummer.

Redheaded, where are you in Illinois? Perhaps closer to Chicago? I'm in St Louis which is really close to Illinois and usually we have similar weather patterns.But the closer you get to Chicaago the colder sand more snow you get.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2015

Hi there! I wrote a nice long note yesterday, but it went away before I could send it! I will try again soon. Just popping in to say hi and have a good week! GiG

• joan811
    edited February 2015

Oh Gigi I absolutely hate when that happens...sometimes I just give up...sometimes I write an abbreviated version.  I hope you are doing OK in FL and that you have the houses under control.  Darn if I didn't have to work I'd come visit you!

April it was good to see you pop in. 
    Janis, sorry you are feeling down.  Winters are tough...darkness doesn't help.  Just think the days are getting longer which means more time outdoors in the garden and playing with the pups. 

It is snowing again now...will change to rain in the morning out here along the coast; but where I work (on a hill, of course) it will surely be snowing.  Hey, I peeked ahead to next week's forecast.  There is a very good chance of a storm here in the east again...could be big...starting Sunday afternoon and snowing through Tuesday.  That is the model right now; it can surely change.

How was the snow in the Midwest?  I did not hear from my DS in Chicago - but he is just happy this winter has not been as frigid as last year.

Mondays are my busy day at work...if we have classes (snow day?) but I have NO time on Monday to take breaks.

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

Snowing & blowing here as well. Had to go to City this morn for hubbies CT. Roads were not too bad. We'll see how they are on Wed & Fri. 3 different hosp[itals  in one week. I hate getting old & having health problems.

Having a down day today. Too much thinking about my upcoming biopsy. Then I see on my chemo group, one of the nicest people u could ever find has a biopsy return positive for BC. I'm beyond words for her & her family.

Thinking of all of you. Bunkie, BigD & cindy, check in & let us know how u are doing. Sending lots of hugs & prayers today.

• Redheaded1
    edited February 2015

Josie I am in Bloomington--middle of the state.  They missed us a little, we got 5.5 inches before 10pm last night.  Wind picked up and a little more light stuff.  My paid man and his sons "blowed" me out at 7.am Sunday before I was out of bed and it was still coming down (heavy/wet)  then about 2pm, the two guys that are buddies one took his blower down the public sidewalks on both sides, then the other one had a truck with a blade on it, and he dicided to "plow" our street....closed up everybody's driveways, but the city plow hadn't been down.  So, I debated, then I "suited up" and took my shovel and cleared just the foot of the drive and came back in. 

My19 year old next door neighbor Matthew Curry (Matt Curry and the Fury) a Blues Phenomenon who has opened for Ted Nugent, the Doobie Bros.,  and bunch of other groups from my generation, came out, blew out his drive way and then bless his heart, did mine.  He is playing a t the Troubadour in West Hollywood next weekend-sold out. 

Then, at 10pm, Paulo came back and he dug me out again.  So today, my driveway is like an ice rink.....

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2015

Trying again. I can't believe the amount of snow on the east coast, especially Boston area. I have lots of loved ones there, so it worries me some. And maybe more to come. Upper Midwest has done a little better, but there is so much more winter to come. Chicago is really getting a lot of snow too. I am heading back north on the 14h to get moved into the new place and to get appliances installed. It is a real crap shoot going that far north. It is just across the border from North Dakota, and the weather gets really wicked up there. We will be back to Florida the first week of March, and depending on my progress up north, I can stay in Florida for another month or so. However, when my DH is up north, I like to be nearby for when he has days off. He needs normal and home too. I also have grandkids nearby and winter is not so bad when you have those little people to spend time with. I also graduated from college there, and I have written grants for the University in the past few years. I love a grant writing gig when I can find one. I also do mediation and there are opportunities for that too. My life has been on hold for others for several years. I would love to do my own thing a bit. It might be time to start a new phase.

Joan, you are definitely welcome anytime. I know your job gets wearisome at times, but I admire you for it. Thinking about Cindy and April and their DH's. Praying for healing for them. Janis, hope you can find some happy and peace. Hi to everyone else. The computer is starting to lag again when I type, so I will try to write a little more later. I check in pretty often. Take care everyone, GiGi

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2015

Today, sunny and a nice 82 :))) so sending sun&warmth

Not sure if it's safe to ice skate on AI...maybe broom hockey with lots and lots of padding.

Hubby came home from hospital tonight...now home health care...Hee her that's me all over again...ugh this treadmill...praying for good health!

JANIS - gloomy days depression...understand...i wonder if depression isn't issue for hubby.

BigD - thinking of you!

Josie - yikes. I was fortunate to work with men...so different very direct if they have an issue...was afraid of the all female departments too much drama. When I retired a few of us ceiling breakers laughed...there was a line for the bathroom...only took 30 yrs...need more women in science.

Joan - up the hill to work...:( yikers...I'm for snow days, but than do you gave to make it up in May

GiGil - thinking of FL...would escape there for 2 wks in Feb to play with friend&famiy...different than socal beaches.

Charger - scoop on the rash?

April - hope your hubby is better and your getting Gma time:)

Quite right now pup&hubby zzz Ahhh

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• 70charger
    edited February 2015

This blows. Today I find that ANOTHER of my chemo group has reoccurrence. 2 in 2 days!!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited February 2015

Charger - :((( that realy does blow...grr

But it does mathematically work to your advantage in the odds (crap) game...silver linings play book.

Very sorry for the disturbing news...we pray for thick walls of protection around us and all we travel with on this journey...safety on the road this week and good reports.

Yes, growing old or maturing to a great vintage is not for the slight at heart...don't want easy I want crazy...crazy fun outrageous life!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited February 2015

Charger, I'm sorry to hear that. Every survivor's worst nightmare.I think it's always in the back of of minds at every mammogram. I know I worry more than usual.

Cindy, yes your lucky to have worked with mostly men. In our practice the only man in our dept is the one doctor. The last place I worked the women were the majority too.

Hope your DH is feeling a little better. Got to go pick up DD from scouts

I'll pop in later or tomorrow.

I'm very tired tonight. Very busy day at work.

• joan811
    edited February 2015

For the third time, I lost the entire page.
    I wrote a long, personal post to everyone here and I really care about what you are each going through, whether it be illness, recovery, tests, weather, travel, family...
    I cannot re-write... must try to get sleep.  Up since 3:30 am due to anxiety upon waking too early.  Cold morning...no delayed work...chopped ice off car at 6:00 am (9 degrees) and drove to work.  Had to use 4WD on campus.
    I am hoping to sleep through until 6 am...I have a 12 hour day tomorrow.
    Sorry I can't redo the message...will try again tomorrow.
    Love and hugs,

Joan

• brooksidevt
    edited February 2015

Charger, i sure hope your husband's CT shows marked improvement. He (and you!) has been through a lot. So sorry about the bad news from your chemo group--such a rotten shame! Sending healthy vibes and clear weather for your biopsy.

Redheaded, of course I looked up your neighbor's website. Very handsome young man! So nice that one of the young rock stars is still a good human being, an important part of the world around him, not the center of his very own universe. Good neighbors are good neighbors. I imagine you've benefitted from multiple garage practice sessions?

Josie, I'm thinking a busy day at work must be such a relief after all that time where not only were you busy, but it was absolutely impossible to complete all your tasks in the time they gave you. Exhausted or not, new to it all or not, it must feel really good to be able to hang up that phone, declare an end to the day, put on your coat, and head home. Tomorrow it might start all over again, but at least it's a new start, not a nasty hangover from days and weeks before, with those horrid managers always lurking.

Cindy, I'm so glad they decided to admit your husband, and equally happy he is home again. Just wishing he were stronger. You, of course, are strong enough for the two of you. I know you're completely fed up with flexing those inner strength muscles, but, well, at least you have them. The home health care will maybe give you a little break?

Joan, I have lost so many posts that now, whenever I write a lengthy one (such as this), I hit, "Copy" before I hit, "Send." Saves lots of frustration. Also, I've found that very occasionally, when I hit the back button, the post reappears. Usually, of course, it does not. Ughh!

Gigil, just daydreaming about your Florida home. It's minus two here. We had about a foot and a half of snow on Monday. Thank goodness for one benefit of the freezing cold--the snow is light as can be and it's like shovelling feathers. If it had been 30 degrees, the snow would have been big, heavy flakes and we'd probably have had three feet of heavy, horrid shovelling. I'm getting a bit frustrated. For two weeks in a row, I stayed home on Monday and Friday because of weather. While four-day weekends are lovely, I would be be a lot more productive I were able to get into the office. This is getting real old, especially as all through December, either I was sick or it was Christmas. Finally bored with everything on TV. Not bored enough to start needed projects in the house, but bored enough to enter a semicoma and feel it to be an outrageous imposition on my couch sitting activity to pick up the phone and call a client.

Hi to everyone I did not mention. I know you're there and I am thinking of you.

• Redheaded1
    edited February 2015

Brookside, when Matt was little (he's been playing since he was three) he would come over when I had a garage sale, and play in the driveway and people would put money in his hat.......

(He had a twin brother and at Halloween they were all going to a party and Andrew told his mom, I just going at Matt)